01-29-2020, 12:01 PM
Brandon Vincent
Russel Walters
Doug Hartsfield
Whit Hughes
Chuck Evans

gtowndawg
01-29-2020, 12:02 PM
A great player from the mid nighties was Brian Price. Great player that never got credit.

edited: I just looked. Averaged 8 points and 6 rebounds in 53 games. Great defender and shot 45% from the floor (no dumb shots). Mix in a hard nosed player like that with Daryl Wilson, Marcus Grant and Dampier and you have the making of a great college team.

Johnson85
01-29-2020, 12:10 PM
1. Shane Power
2. Brandon Vincent
3. Ricky Moss
4.Big Country.
5. Terry Lewis or Detrick White

Any list that doesn't include Ontario Harper is wrong. Dude battled through injuries and played whatever role was asked of him and really did a good job for all 9 years that he played for state.

LoneStarDawg
01-29-2020, 12:47 PM
A great player from the mid nighties was Brian Price. Great player that never got credit.

edited: I just looked. Averaged 8 points and 6 rebounds in 53 games. Great defender and shot 45% from the floor (no dumb shots). Mix in a hard nosed player like that with Daryl Wilson, Marcus Grant and Dampier and you have the making of a great college team.

In my best Hank Flick voice...BP!!! Brian Price

StarkVegasSteve
01-29-2020, 12:47 PM
1. Brandon Vincent
2. Riley Benock
3. Barry Stewart
4. Ontario Harper
5. Shane Power

chef dixon
01-29-2020, 12:48 PM
I wasn't a state fan until the early 2000s, but always thought Phil Turner and Dietric Slater did a lot of dirty work

smootness
01-29-2020, 01:08 PM
Phil Turner, Brandon Vincent, Michael Gholar, and Ontario Harper were probably my favorites. Liked Slater, too, though he's not as unsung to me.

I'll throw out a name I had forgotten about that I really liked - Jalen Steele.

Lord McBuckethead
01-29-2020, 01:16 PM
Brandon Vincent
Chicken
Dee Bost

msugolf
01-29-2020, 01:28 PM
Phil Turner, Brandon Vincent, Michael Gholar, and Ontario Harper were probably my favorites. Liked Slater, too, though he's not as unsung to me.

Good list. Same as mine. Gholar and Ontario were lock down defenders too. And if this team had Jalen Steele ...whew.

Another name that often gets forgotten is Markell Patterson. Dude could light it up in high school and had some big shots at State too.

gtowndawg
01-29-2020, 04:12 PM
In my best Hank Flick voice...BP!!! Brian Price

That's right! I forgot about that.

R2Dawg
01-29-2020, 04:13 PM
Good list. Same as mine. Gholar and Ontario were lock down defenders too. And if this team had Jalen Steele ...whew.

Another name that often gets forgotten is Markell Patterson. Dude could light it up in high school and had some big shots at State too.

I was thinking of Gholar and Markell as well. Gholar was a good defender and nasty on boards good DB on football too. Markell was a solid player who played smart and could really score at times. Remember one game he hit like 7-8 3s.

Vincent at top of list. Kalpatrick Wells from 80s. I'd add Ado to the list; he is a tough defender and battles on the boards. If we don't find a tough big guy, we will see how undervalued he is in 2 years.

R2Dawg
01-29-2020, 04:15 PM

Yes Turner was big time undervalued. Those teams in that era were tough as nails.

OLJWales
01-29-2020, 08:04 PM
Winsome Frazier. He was all Dog and was never scared to go after a loose ball like a linebacker goes for a fumble.

viverlibre
01-29-2020, 08:24 PM
Butch Pierre

Coach34
01-29-2020, 08:24 PM
Brandon Vincent
Russel Walters
Doug Hartsfield
Whit Hughes
Chuck Evans

great list. But I would sub Top Gun Tony Watts for Evans. Evans is the best PG we ever had and has the school records to show it. So you cant call him "unsung". Watts was a really good player that was undervalued because of when he played.

Liverpooldawg
01-29-2020, 09:24 PM
great list. But I would sub Top Gun Tony Watts for Evans. Evans is the best PG we ever had and has the school records to show it. So you cant call him "unsung". Watts was a really good player that was undervalued because of when he played.

True, but nobody much remembers Evans because the teams he played on were not that good. The crowds weren't that big. We rarely missed a game. We went to watch him. Extend the list to 10 and Watts is there for sure.

EdDawg
01-29-2020, 09:57 PM
Dietric Slater was one of my favorites. Stans would go with a small lineup and Slater at 6'3 would be guarding the other team's PF and he was great in that role.

R2Dawg
01-29-2020, 10:10 PM
Winsome Frazier. He was all Dog and was never scared to go after a loose ball like a linebacker goes for a fumble.

Down goes Frazier; another good one. Boy we have had some dudes. Great list by everyone. Still remember playing Duke in Charlotte in NCAAT when we made a huge run in game as Frazier went off. Dickie V going nuts on air - down goes Frazier and Duke calls TO to regain composure. March madness. Frazier, yeah he'd be on top 10.

DAWGS1
01-30-2020, 12:03 AM
Rich Knarr

somebodyshotmypaw
01-30-2020, 09:21 AM
Some great names of some hardworking glue-guys on this thread. Ontario Harper, Branden Vincent, Russell Walters. I might add David Domingue to that list (probably spelled it wrong).

The one name in this thread that shocked me was Dee Bost. He was such a locker room cancer that was highly instrumental in our dysfunction that ultimately led to Stansbury's demise and Rick Ray's hire. But I guess some might consider Johnny Manziel an unsung hero of the Cleveland Browns. As one college basketball assistant (not from MSU) told me early on "there are tons of basketball programs, big and small, between Concord, NC and Starkville, MS. There is a reason so few of them are interested in a player of his caliber."

Liverpooldawg
01-30-2020, 10:34 AM
Some great names of some hardworking glue-guys on this thread. Ontario Harper, Branden Vincent, Russell Walters. I might add David Domingue to that list (probably spelled it wrong).

The one name in this thread that shocked me was Dee Bost. He was such a locker room cancer that was highly instrumental in our dysfunction that ultimately led to Stansbury's demise and Rick Ray's hire. But I guess some might consider Johnny Manziel an unsung hero of the Cleveland Browns. As one college basketball assistant (not from MSU) told me early on "there are tons of basketball programs, big and small, between Concord, NC and Starkville, MS. There is a reason so few of them are interested in a player of his caliber."

Bost had more to do with it than Sid did.

AmiteDog
01-30-2020, 08:28 PM

I was just about to say David Domingue before I saw your post. Dude rattled some teeth setting picks as defenders came across half court not knowing he was there.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-30-2020, 09:48 PM
I was just about to say David Domingue before I saw your post. Dude rattled some teeth setting picks as defenders came across half court not knowing he was there.

Nolan Richardson was coaching Arkansas. They had Scotty Thurman and Corliss Williamson. Domingue set a pick on one of their guards at the mid court line and dislocated the guard's shoulder. What was the guard's name? I can't think of it.

tcdog70
01-30-2020, 10:46 PM
Brandon Vincent
Chicken
Dee Bost

Dee was all Sec. He was pretty acknowledged as a good player.

tcdog70
01-30-2020, 10:50 PM
Rich Knarr

Nice pick what about Jack Bouldin?

Joebob
01-30-2020, 11:18 PM
One additional name I’ll throw out there was Al Perry. He was the guy who’s hands you wanted the ball in in crunch time. Made clutch free throws, made great decisions with the ball, knew how to find the weakness in a defense.