PDA

View Full Version : Close the deal!

Paldridge10
01-28-2020, 08:59 AM
Leach is flying up for an in home visit with Costello today! Hopefully we get some commitment news soon! Opinions?

Cooterpoot
01-28-2020, 08:59 AM
It's done already IMO.

HailStateSZN19
01-28-2020, 09:14 AM
This is going to be a BIG TIME pull by the Pirate! This is fun :cool:

Now go get him a solid grad transfer WR after Spring when more hit the portal.

Johnson85
01-28-2020, 09:26 AM
It's done already IMO.

You have an idea who it's done for? Or you just think the decision is already made and don't know what it is?

Dogbone
01-28-2020, 09:32 AM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/source-stanford-transfer-quarterback-k-j-costello-visiting-uw-huskies-on-tuesday/&ved=2ahUKEwijisGLwabnAhU4HzQIHT9QDFAQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2c0JfrvF33T45qXvT5PgvD
Seattle Times says Costello is visiting Washington Huskies today!

defiantdog
01-28-2020, 09:44 AM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/source-stanford-transfer-quarterback-k-j-costello-visiting-uw-huskies-on-tuesday/&ved=2ahUKEwijisGLwabnAhU4HzQIHT9QDFAQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2c0JfrvF33T45qXvT5PgvD
Seattle Times says Costello is visiting Washington Huskies today!

Don't see it..... they're QBs are young, but they have three 4 star qbs sitting there waiting for their shot. You want competition..... but Washington is on another level when it comes to qb competition.

Johnson85
01-28-2020, 10:29 AM
Don't see it..... they're QBs are young, but they have three 4 star qbs sitting there waiting for their shot. You want competition..... but Washington is on another level when it comes to qb competition.

Random hijack, but what is Petersen's deal? Did he just get tired of coaching? Have health issues? I'm assuming he had absolute job security when he resigned?

HailStateSZN19
01-28-2020, 10:29 AM
A Washington football reporter is saying on Twitter that Costello will be on their campus visiting today.

Hopefully Leach can just close it out and remove all doubt and it be done tonight after his in-home.

msstate7
01-28-2020, 10:53 AM

Maybe, but he is a west coast kid

Todd4State
01-28-2020, 10:56 AM
And here we go...

Shades of Cam Newton. Alright my freak out is over.

dawgday166
01-28-2020, 10:59 AM
And here we go...

Probably a decent chance of that. But also Seattle is much closer to a Palo Alto type environment than Vegas is.

LC Dawg
01-28-2020, 11:02 AM

I'm sure it's not the same but don't we have three 4 star qbs on our roster?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-28-2020, 11:09 AM
Probably a decent chance of that. But also Seattle is much closer to a Palo Alto type environment than Vegas is.

He's is only going to be wherever 1 year. I think we put way more bearing on the "town environment" than the kid does. I could understand that if he was a hs recruit but he is trying to make a big impression on NFL scouts his final year. I doubt he's wondering what the bar scene is like and how close it is to Palo Alto. The fact that he even visited Starkville shows you where his priorities are. He values Leach.

CadaverDawg
01-28-2020, 11:13 AM
He may come here, but there's no spinning it that him setting up a visit to Washington after visiting us and on the same day as his in home with us, is not a good sign.

chef dixon
01-28-2020, 11:17 AM
Not gonna lose sleep over his decision. He could be good but he is also potentially plastic man 2.0 who did well against arguable the softest P5 conference over the last decade. Next year is going to be an adjustment even if we had Patrick Mahomes.

Bothrops
01-28-2020, 11:23 AM
It may not be a distance issue but Starkville is harder to reach by air than Seattle from the bay area, especially if his parents want to attend every home game. Unless this is a courtesy visit I dont think he's coming.

CadaverDawg
01-28-2020, 11:24 AM
Not gonna lose sleep over his decision. He could be good but he is also potentially plastic man 2.0 who did well against arguable the softest P5 conference over the last decade. Next year is going to be an adjustment even if we had Patrick Mahomes.

Plastic man never played significant minutes at PSU, whereas Costello is a proven commodity. Not to mention Plastic man played in the Joe Mo Shit Show offense. Night and day between these two guys and their situations. We ABSOLUTELY need to be on the edge of our seats about Costello possibly coming here. The difference in him at QB in Leach's system, versus one of our current QB's, is probably 3 wins or more if we're being honest with ourselves.

Political Hack
01-28-2020, 11:25 AM

I hope people understand this. We knew next year is a disaster before leach. He'll make it better and get things going in the right direction, but it's going to take time.

CadaverDawg
01-28-2020, 11:28 AM
I hope people understand this. We knew next year is a disaster before leach. He'll make it better and get things going in the right direction, but it's going to take time.

No doubt, but he has a MUCH better chance at a nice season to jump start his time here with Costello running his system than a dual threat QB or a true freshman.

HancockCountyDog
01-28-2020, 11:31 AM
The Washington news is problematic. I know we were expecting to get a commitment within 24 hours of the visit - it didn't happen.

Is there someway we can blame an Ole Miss agent?

Here is my biggest concern, Costello is a bright kid that understands that we are changing offenses, but making that change without really changing the personnel - at least for next year. We recruited and signed kids with an eye towards RPO. IT could be that he is wondering if the WR's we have on campus are capable of making him look good. This is a million dollar decision for him. Personally I think he should trust Leach and his offense and that we will put guys in the right spots and make the offense go, but I understand the hesitation - especially when he has one year to make himself an NFL top 3 round draft pick.

CadaverDawg
01-28-2020, 11:35 AM
Let's play "what if". If he does go a different route, what do you guys think of the potential unknown in Brice from Clemson? Does he have just one year left as well?

smootness
01-28-2020, 11:36 AM
The Washington news is problematic. I know we were expecting to get a commitment within 24 hours of the visit - it didn't happen.

Is there someway we can blame an Ole Miss agent?

Here is my biggest concern, Costello is a bright kid that understands that we are changing offenses, but making that change without really changing the personnel - at least for next year. We recruited and signed kids with an eye towards RPO. IT could be that he is wondering if the WR's we have on campus are capable of making him look good. This is a million dollar decision for him. Personally I think he should trust Leach and his offense and that we will put guys in the right spots and make the offense go, but I understand the hesitation - especially when he has one year to make himself an NFL top 3 round draft pick.

For sure. It seems understandable that a kid in that position would go, 'Oh man, I can go play for Leach and light it up!' I'm assuming he was already considering Washington State. Then he reads up more on our team and what kind of talent is around him and the initial thrill subsides and now he's making a more level-headed decision. I still imagine and hope we have a good chance, but I would think it isn't a done deal yet.

smootness
01-28-2020, 11:37 AM
Let's play "what if". If he does go a different route, what do you guys think of the potential unknown in Brice from Clemson? Does he have just one year left as well?

Might as well do it. He's not some can't-miss guy, but he has experience and could do some good things.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-28-2020, 11:37 AM

he has two years left

chef dixon
01-28-2020, 11:39 AM
Plastic man never played significant minutes at PSU, whereas Costello is a proven commodity. Not to mention Plastic man played in the Joe Mo Shit Show offense. Night and day between these two guys and their situations. We ABSOLUTELY need to be on the edge of our seats about Costello possibly coming here. The difference in him at QB in Leach's system, versus one of our current QB's, is probably 3 wins or more if we're being honest with ourselves.

I feel like its short sighted. We badly need some continuity with coach and QB. Costello maybe gets us a couple wins? maybe.. and we still are not sniffing contention next year. I think it ultimately delays the QB issue another year. I see very few people 1 year from today comfortable with a RS freshman Rogers. I honestly think the potential is better with 2 years of Brice if we are going the grad transfer route.

HailStateSZN19
01-28-2020, 11:40 AM

Brice has 2 years left but is still immediately eligible. Idk what to think on him. Obviously if Clemson takes him, he's talented but he's about like Tommy was as far as you don't have many stats or game film to look at to know what you're getting. He could come in and be solid or he could come in and be no different than what we already have and not win the job.

It'd hurt to lose Costello at the last second when the confidence has been growing since late last week that we'd land him. He's a proven commodity and legit NFL prospect. The drop off from him to Brice is pretty massive at this point in time.

CadaverDawg
01-28-2020, 11:52 AM
I feel like its short sighted. We badly need some continuity with coach and QB. Costello maybe gets us a couple wins? maybe.. and we still are not sniffing contention next year. I think it ultimately delays the QB issue another year. I see very few people 1 year from today comfortable with a RS freshman Rogers. I honestly think the potential is better with 2 years of Brice if we are going the grad transfer route.

It's a new day in age...the transfer portal is here and gone are the days of grooming a QB for 4 years. Look at OU, Look at Ohio State....hell look at Gardner Minshew with Leach. It's about winning now, and if he gets Costello, it could help us look good enough on O to be in line to get the next best transfer next year, or at bare minimum give our young QB's a year to improve. I dont think it's short sighted at all...or better yet, college football is now a short sighted game, so we can either get on board or get left.

FISHDAWG
01-28-2020, 11:59 AM

Totally agree with this .... I think that position right now should be more of an investment rather than a quick fix ..... whoever our starting QB will be in two years needs significant playing time next year

chef dixon
01-28-2020, 12:01 PM
It's a new day in age...the transfer portal is here and gone are the days of grooming a QB for 4 years. Look at OU, Look at Ohio State....hell look at Gardner Minshew with Leach. It's about winning now, and if he gets Costello, it could help us look good enough on O to be in line to get the next best transfer next year, or at bare minimum give our young QB's a year to improve. I dont think it's short sighted at all...or better yet, college football is now a short sighted game, so we can either get on board or get left.

Those are blue bloods with rosters stacked with talent. We don't get to the championship contention the same way those teams do. We are not a plug and play program. Our best chances are when we have a guy like Dak who put in 4 years pans out. Just my opinion, but I respect the debate.

Editing to add: the Minshew thing was interesting, but definitely a much different circumstance in the SEC

MarketingBully
01-28-2020, 12:02 PM
Guys. Are we really going to let a day visit bring us down? If he were extremely serious about Washington wouldn?t he set up a weekend visit this weekend to go through everything? To me this screams he wants another school to compare his experience he had at MSU just to have something to compare it too. I think Leach closes it out tonight and we have Costello as our starting QB for next year as our highest rated ever QB.

CadaverDawg
01-28-2020, 12:02 PM
Totally agree with this .... I think that position right now should be more of an investment rather than a quick fix ..... whoever our starting QB will be in two years needs significant playing time next year

The teams winning at a high level aren't "investing". Washington State's best year in their history was with a Transfer QB from Mississippi. In my opinion, part of the change to a known commodity like Leach, is a change into the modern times of college football, which includes 1-2 year QB's. ESPECIALLY when you now have a coach that is going to attract some of the best year in and year out

CadaverDawg
01-28-2020, 12:05 PM
Those are blue bloods with rosters stacked with talent. We don't get to the championship contention the same way those teams do. We are not a plug and play program. Our best chances are when we have a guy like Dak who put in 4 years pans out. Just my opinion, but I respect the debate.

Editing to add: the Minshew thing was interesting, but definitely a much different circumstance in the SEC

It's not just blue bloods, man. The reason you see it more in blue bloods is because these guys want to transfer to either a consistent top team, OR a system that will pad their stats AND give them a shot at winning at a high level while giving them one last showcase year for a potential shot at the NFL. That's where we fit in with Leach as our HC.

OLJWales
01-28-2020, 12:06 PM
I'm thinking he's gotta decide on staying in an area he's more accustomed to vs trying to prove himself in college football's most elite conference with the most innovative offensive mind in the game teaching you.

Leach's resume with QB's is unparalleled according to many football experts and I'm sure the young man is taking that's into consideration as well.

FISHDAWG
01-28-2020, 12:08 PM
Brice has 2 years left but is still immediately eligible. Idk what to think on him. Obviously if Clemson takes him, he's talented but he's about like Tommy was as far as you don't have many stats or game film to look at to know what you're getting. He could come in and be solid or he could come in and be no different than what we already have and not win the job.

It'd hurt to lose Costello at the last second when the confidence has been growing since late last week that we'd land him. He's a proven commodity and legit NFL prospect. The drop off from him to Brice is pretty massive at this point in time.

you think he's going to spend his last two years waiting on the Wonder Boy to get hurt ? ....I think Costello stays in Washington even tho they also have a new staff and Brice comes here after Costello announces.
I'm still not sold on the fact that we have 3 four star QB's that we can't find one of those to start developing

CadaverDawg
01-28-2020, 12:10 PM
I'm not saying we can't be successful with a groomed HS QB, but if you can have immediate success with a transfer why not take it? Leach's system has proven these guys don't really need to be groomed to be good in it. And he is going to attract top transfers due to his history and scheme and even more now in the SEC. Seems we'd be crazy not to take advantage. Personally, I'd rather see us go 7-5 with Costello next year and then go with another stud transfer or Sophomore Will Rogers in 2021, than to go 5-7 with Freshman Will Rogers or Sophomore Shrader just so we can say we "groomed" them.

HailStateSZN19
01-28-2020, 12:12 PM
you think he's going to spend his last two years waiting on the Wonder Boy to get hurt ? ....I think Costello stays in Washington even tho they also have a new staff and Brice comes here after Costello announces.
I'm still not sold on the fact that we have 3 four star QB's that we can't find one of those to start developing

The part you put in bold and are referencing meant Clemson doesn't take him out of HS if he isn't a talented kid.

I'm not a dumbass lol. Where'd you get the idea I was saying he'd stay there his last 2 years and hope "Wonder Boy" got hurt? Cause I can't find it. And btw, Wonder Boy only has 1 year left before he's gone but they're also bringing in a 5-star in the 2020 class who would start over Brice in 2021 anyways. But that's beside the point.

I simply stated that Clemson would not take Brice out of HS if he wasn't a solid QB even if he was sitting behind Lawrence for 2 years. There's the same level of unknown with him as there was with Tommy. Doesn't mean it would turn out the same but he's an unknown commodity at this point.

Johnson85
01-28-2020, 12:15 PM

With Leach's offense, we will be a plug and play program for QB's. If you get to the program in the summer, you can learn to execute ten plays out of different formations by the fall.

Not saying I want to rely on transfers or that that is Leach's plan. And I do think at some point it hurts you in recruiting if you are constantly chasing transfers that are just marginally better than your underclassmen. But I don't think we're at that point right now. Basically Leach's only QB on campus is a true freshman (I know he didn't sign him, but he offered him at WSU). If when he is a rising RS Sophomore, we are still chasing every transfer QB, at that point maybe recruits start thinking they're better off going somewhere they know they can get playing time and then trying to transfer in than paying their dues. But right now, we don't really have a qb on roster that should be worried about Costello coming in except for maybe Mayden, depending on whether tutor gate took him out of the QB competition or whether he really can't beat out Shrader.

FISHDAWG
01-28-2020, 12:18 PM
The part you put in bold and are referencing meant Clemson doesn't take him out of HS if he isn't a talented kid.

I'm not a dumbass lol. Where'd you get the idea I was saying he'd stay there his last 2 years and hope "Wonder Boy" got hurt? Cause I can't find it. And btw, Wonder Boy only has 1 year left before he's gone but they're also bringing in a 5-star in the 2020 class who would start over Brice in 2021 anyways. But that's beside the point.

I simply stated that Clemson would not take Brice out of HS if he wasn't a solid QB even if he was sitting behind Lawrence for 2 years. There's the same level of unknown with him as there was with Tommy. Doesn't mean it would turn out the same but he's an unknown commodity at this point.

fair point ... I'm not totally up to date on all the transfer stuff - I thought maybe Clemson was after a back up .... and yes Lawrence still has 2 years of eligibility but I think he's gone after next season

smootness
Guys. Are we really going to let a day visit bring us down? If he were extremely serious about Washington wouldn?t he set up a weekend visit this weekend to go through everything? To me this screams he wants another school to compare his experience he had at MSU just to have something to compare it too. I think Leach closes it out tonight and we have Costello as our starting QB for next year as our highest rated ever QB.

I don't think anybody's totally bummed yet or anything, but any time a prospect goes on another visit, all bets are off, at least for those like us who don't know what he's thinking.

CadaverDawg
If Mullen is our coach, I like the idea of grooming a QB. But not with Leach

MarketingBully
01-28-2020, 12:23 PM
I don't think anybody's totally bummed yet or anything, but any time a prospect goes on another visit, all bets are off, at least for those like us who don't know what he's thinking.

If Leach has his in home tonight with him, I?d say he?s a Bulldog.

CadaverDawg
01-28-2020, 12:24 PM

Bring us down? No. Discuss? Yes.

HailStateSZN19
01-28-2020, 12:25 PM
fair point ... I'm not totally up to date on all the transfer stuff - I thought maybe Clemson was after a back up .... and yes Lawrence still has 2 years of eligibility but I think he's gone after next season

All good here. Chase Brice is currently at Clemson right now though. He’s been there backing up Lawrence for the last 2 years & now he’s looking to go elsewhere to play his final 2 years of eligibility somewhere. He’s got to be a talented kid if Clemson signed him out of HS, but he’s extremely unproven and inexperienced like Tommy was. I wouldn’t be against him coming necessarily but he’d have a lot to prove to get me super excited about it.

Costello on the other hand is uber talented and proven and a known commodity. He’s a big time player who changes the entire outlook on a season. HUGE drop off going from him down to Brice. Need the Pirate to seal the deal tonight with Costello.

dawgs
01-28-2020, 12:27 PM
Random hijack, but what is Petersen's deal? Did he just get tired of coaching? Have health issues? I'm assuming he had absolute job security when he resigned?

He has made a shitload of money and never struck me as a football lifer anyway. He stayed at Boise st for so long because he wanted to stay in the PNW for family reasons, hence why he turned down USC and other blue bloods and ended up going to Washington when he did finally leave Boise. He's not a football only kinda guy, he just likes football, is good at coaching it, and made enough money doing it that he can retire early and enjoy parenting his kids while having already financially secured their futures (if he wants to leave them $$).

Dogbone
01-28-2020, 12:31 PM
Leach has only had one transfer quarterback, Gardner Minshew. So I don't think looking for transfers is something he will continue to do. Maybe this year to get everyone on board with his Air Raid offense.

FISHDAWG
01-28-2020, 12:32 PM
All good here. Chase Brice is currently at Clemson right now though. He?s been there backing up Lawrence for the last 2 years & now he?s looking to go elsewhere to play his final 2 years of eligibility somewhere. He?s got to be a talented kid if Clemson signed him out of HS, but he?s extremely unproven and inexperienced like Tommy was. I wouldn?t be against him coming necessarily but he?d have a lot to prove to get me super excited about it.

Costello on the other hand is uber talented and proven and a known commodity. He?s a big time player who changes the entire outlook on a season. HUGE drop off going from him down to Brice. Need the Pirate to seal the deal tonight with Costello.

thanks ... and this is a big part of why I read this board

smootness
01-28-2020, 12:34 PM
Leach has only had one transfer quarterback, Gardner Minshew. So I don't think looking for transfers is something he will continue to do. Maybe this year to get everyone on board with his Air Raid offense.

Anthony Gordon was a JUCO transfer as well. So his last 2 have been. Transfer QBs are being taken seriously and pursued by everybody at this point.

msstate7
01-28-2020, 12:41 PM
I'm not nearly as sold on Brice as I am on Costello.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-28-2020, 12:50 PM
I'm not nearly as sold on Brice as I am on Costello.

Anyone Leach brings in I am sold on. Be honest, if today was 2 years ago, and Minshew and Costello were both available who would you be more sold on?

chef dixon
01-28-2020, 12:54 PM
It's not just blue bloods, man. The reason you see it more in blue bloods is because these guys want to transfer to either a consistent top team, OR a system that will pad their stats AND give them a shot at winning at a high level while giving them one last showcase year for a potential shot at the NFL. That's where we fit in with Leach as our HC.

But the blue bloods are the ones that are actually winning because of it. Look at us last year, Arkansas, Missouri, Miami, Maryland, WVU and I'm sure others all floundered the entire season after hitting the transfer portal for a QB. Were all pretty much disjointed from the start. You could even argue that if LSU only had Burrow for a 1 year rental in 2018 he is a failure. I just don't see getting Costello for a 1 year transition year as vital, but I'm not against him coming.

CadaverDawg
01-28-2020, 01:03 PM
But the blue bloods are the ones that are actually winning because of it. Look at us last year, Arkansas, Missouri, Miami, Maryland, WVU and I'm sure others all floundered the entire season after hitting the transfer portal for a QB. Were all pretty much disjointed from the start. You could even argue that if LSU only had Burrow for a 1 year rental in 2018 he is a failure. I just don't see getting Costello for a 1 year transition year as vital, but I'm not against him coming.

The blue bloods are winning because they're blue bloods. They were beating us with the groomed QB's just like they're going to beat us with the transfers. Because the talent surrounding the QB is so much better too. LSU beat us like 30 straight times with no QB that could throw. We are now intriguing to guys like Costello because it's an air raid big numbers system but it's now in an elite conference. To not take advantage of that interest because "it only works at blue bloods and we want to develop a guy" is just senseless in my opinion. But I'll just agree to disagree. The transfer portal is here to stay and we will have really good options at QB every year Leach is here....might as well take advantage, bc there is no guarantee a 3 year "groomed" Will Rogers will be any better than a 1 year former 4 or 5 star. In fact, Costello is a much less risky option than even a Will Rogers with 3 years in Leach's system would be if we had that option.

msstate7
01-28-2020, 01:07 PM
Anyone Leach brings in I am sold on. Be honest, if today was 2 years ago, and Minshew and Costello were both available who would you be more sold on?

Costello. If they were both available 2 years ago, I'd bet leach would've chose Costello then too.

timotheus
01-28-2020, 01:07 PM
All good here. Chase Brice is currently at Clemson right now though. He’s been there backing up Lawrence for the last 2 years & now he’s looking to go elsewhere to play his final 2 years of eligibility somewhere. He’s got to be a talented kid if Clemson signed him out of HS, but he’s extremely unproven and inexperienced like Tommy was. I wouldn’t be against him coming necessarily but he’d have a lot to prove to get me super excited about it.

Costello on the other hand is uber talented and proven and a known commodity. He’s a big time player who changes the entire outlook on a season. HUGE drop off going from him down to Brice. Need the Pirate to seal the deal tonight with Costello.

I totally agree but I will say that Brice sure looks much better to me than Tommy ever did. Let's get Costello tonite.

HailStateSZN19
01-28-2020, 01:12 PM
I totally agree but I will say that Brice sure looks much better to me than Tommy ever did. Let's get Costello tonite.

I can agree with that. Brice looks better than Tommy did and looks like he'd have more potential as a true QB but also has about the same level of inexperience as Tommy had. I'm betting Brice has thrown a good bit more passes in games than Tommy (both are low totals though really) did coming in but still, significant game experience is lacking just like Tommy.

Agree with you though and especially your last part, let's just seal the deal with Costello tonight and roll!

Bothrops
01-28-2020, 02:18 PM
If we don't get Costello, I'd just assume go with what's on roster and may the best man win.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-28-2020, 02:20 PM
Looks like Brice is not visiting. Costello it is!! (or better be)

HailStateSZN19
01-28-2020, 02:24 PM
Looks like Brice is not visiting. Costello it is!! (or better be)

So we're either supremely confident Costello's visit to Washington is not too serious and Leach will close it out with his in-home or we are just going the "Costello or bust" route & he's the only one Leach really would want to take and if we miss on him, just roll with what we have. I'm trusting the Pirate and what he wants to do, especially with QB's.

Captain Falcon
01-28-2020, 02:37 PM
So we're either supremely confident Costello's visit to Washington is not too serious and Leach will close it out with his in-home or we are just going the "Costello or bust" route & he's the only one Leach really would want to take and if we miss on him, just roll with what we have. I'm trusting the Pirate and what he wants to do, especially with QB's.

If we for some reason don?t get Costello, Peyton Ramsey from Indiana entered the transfer portal yesterday. If you look at his career stats, he seems exactly like the kind of guy Leach would pursue. But obviously Costello is our first choice.

Jack Lambert
01-28-2020, 03:03 PM
And here we go...

I don't know if UW will pay 180K.

defiantdog
01-28-2020, 03:26 PM
I don't know if UW will pay 180K.
Price has gone up since then

Spiderman
01-28-2020, 04:04 PM
Peyton Ramzey from Indiana entered the portal. Maybe a back up plan

msstate7
01-28-2020, 04:09 PM
Peyton Ramzey from Indiana entered the portal. Maybe a back up plan

Why is he leaving?

dawgs
01-28-2020, 04:18 PM

Wazzu was in the playoff running until the final weekend of the season with minshew. So clearly it can help non-blue bloods too. As for all the teams you listed, do you think they'd have been better with the QBs on their rosters before the transfer? Because unless you believe they were benching they wrong guy, you can't really argue the transfer Portland QB hurt them, it's the rest of the roster and/or coaching that was the problem.

chef dixon
01-28-2020, 04:31 PM
Wazzu was in the playoff running until the final weekend of the season with minshew. So clearly it can help non-blue bloods too. As for all the teams you listed, do you think they'd have been better with the QBs on their rosters before the transfer? Because unless you believe they were benching they wrong guy, you can't really argue the transfer Portland QB hurt them, it's the rest of the roster and/or coaching that was the problem.

My thoughts are WSU with Minshew is the exception and not the norm, and I think the probability of that working out at State in the SEC West with a 1 year guy is much less.

As for those other teams, it contributed to MSU, Arkansas, and Missouri firing their coaches. I think we definitely started the wrong guy but that's a separate discussion. The rest of the teams had pretty horrific years, so I don't think you can argue the portal "helped" them. I bet a lot of those schools look back and realize they could have just tried to groom a young guy and ended up with the same results, and now they are back at square one. Miami's best QB is transferring because they botched their situation and now are getting portal happy with King.

I just think the new QB transfer portal is intriguing for a quick fix, but that intrigue is driven by the success the blue bloods have had with it. For the most part, its bred complete shit shows at mid to lower range schools.

preachermatt83
01-28-2020, 04:51 PM
IMO We cancelled Brice’s visit in order to prove to Costello that We are 100 percent committed to him. Leach will seal the deal tonight and Costello will commit soon. Just my opinion.

preachermatt83
01-28-2020, 04:53 PM
IMO We cancelled Brice’s visit in order to prove to Costello that We are 100 percent committed to him. Leach will seal the deal tonight and Costello will commit soon. Just my opinion.

Thursday night rather

HailStateSZN19
01-28-2020, 04:57 PM

The kiss of death.... alright who's next on our list?******

Just messing with ya preacher lol. What you're saying does make sense though. I just don't see Brice cancelling the visit. I think it had to be on our end and why would we do that to our back-up plan out of nowhere if we weren't highly confident in landing Costello? Just wouldn't make a ton of sense.

dawgs
01-28-2020, 05:17 PM
My thoughts are WSU with Minshew is the exception and not the norm, and I think the probability of that working out at State in the SEC West with a 1 year guy is much less.

As for those other teams, it contributed to MSU, Arkansas, and Missouri firing their coaches. I think we definitely started the wrong guy but that's a separate discussion. The rest of the teams had pretty horrific years, so I don't think you can argue the portal "helped" them. I bet a lot of those schools look back and realize they could have just tried to groom a young guy and ended up with the same results, and now they are back at square one. Miami's best QB is transferring because they botched their situation and now are getting portal happy with King.

I just think the new QB transfer portal is intriguing for a quick fix, but that intrigue is driven by the success the blue bloods have had with it. For the most part, its bred complete shit shows at mid to lower range schools.

Meh, just like anything, it works with the right guy and doesn't with the wrong guy. The difference is that blue bloods have their pick of whichever guy they deemed to be the "right guy", while programs like us, mizzou, wvu, etc. usually don't have that luxury. We can identify the "right guy" just like a blue blood, but pulling the "right guy" ain't as easy as identifying the "right guy". You have the wrong mindset if you are against the idea of taking or not taking guys through the transfer portal without considering all the various factors that go into whether any given guy would actually work out. Last year, I understand why joevester made the gamble on Stevens, and honestly, until he got hurt against USM, I thought he looked pretty good throwing the ball. Against K-state, he was missing wide open WRs, not because of the defense or an inability to throw the ball, just cause he was playing hurt. Shit snowballed from there (further injury, panic/forcing things, improved competition ready to take advantage, etc), but that stuff didn't happen cause Stevens was a transfer, it was a confluence of circumstances unrelated to being a transfer QB.

Nevermind that Costello is far more proven than Stevens. Shit, he's far more proven than all but a handful of QBs in the country period.

Todd4State
01-28-2020, 05:20 PM

I think the portal can help people like Shrader develop by giving them time to develop and learn. I've seen some MSU QB's start out really well only to lose their confidence in the SEC while they take their lumps- usually end up being benched only to make a small comeback once the next young guy gets benched after he loses his confidence.

Todd4State
01-28-2020, 05:21 PM
Meh, just like anything, it works with the right guy and doesn't with the wrong guy. The difference is that blue bloods have their pick of whichever guy they deemed to be the "right guy", while programs like us, mizzou, wvu, etc. usually don't have that luxury. We can identify the "right guy" just like a blue blood, but pulling the "right guy" ain't as easy as identifying the "right guy". You have the wrong mindset if you are against the idea of taking or not taking guys through the transfer portal without considering all the various factors that go into whether any given guy would actually work out. Last year, I understand why joevester made the gamble on Stevens, and honestly, until he got hurt against USM, I thought he looked pretty good throwing the ball. Against K-state, he was missing wide open WRs, not because of the defense or an inability to throw the ball, just cause he was playing hurt. Shit snowballed from there (further injury, panic/forcing things, improved competition ready to take advantage, etc), but that stuff didn't happen cause Stevens was a transfer, it was a confluence of circumstances unrelated to being a transfer QB.

Nevermind that Costello is far more proven than Stevens. Shit, he's far more proven than all but a handful of QBs in the country period.

I was going to say the same thing about Stevens being hurt. Joe should have never put him back out there until he was healthy. And I think it got into his head.

chef dixon
01-28-2020, 05:43 PM

Not against it, I mentioned that earlier in the thread. Going by evidence so far, the transfer portal in general does not pan out great for programs like us.

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-28-2020, 07:56 PM
I keep seeing people say Leach's visit is tonight. I believe it is Thursday night. So don't freak out when we don't hear anything in the next 24 hours.

RougeDawg
01-28-2020, 09:20 PM
Anthony Gordon was a JUCO transfer as well. So his last 2 have been. Transfer QBs are being taken seriously and pursued by everybody at this point.

Not sure a juco guy can be considered a transfer in the context of this conversation. Kinda like comparing apples and lava rocks for this conversation.

smootness
01-28-2020, 09:32 PM
Not sure a juco guy can be considered a transfer in the context of this conversation. Kinda like comparing apples and lava rocks for this conversation.

Not really. Still a guy who wasn't developed from the beginning in your program.

Political Hack
01-28-2020, 10:14 PM
No doubt, but he has a MUCH better chance at a nice season to jump start his time here with Costello running his system than a dual threat QB or a true freshman.

Not going to disagree with that.

gravedigger
01-29-2020, 10:14 AM
Leach is flying up for an in home visit with Costello today! Hopefully we get some commitment news soon! Opinions?

But with Schrader, Mayden and Rogers, I'm having a difficult time understanding the urgency to get a transfer. Leach is known for doing pretty well with less talent and depth. We are talking about an initial season where the expectations for winning are around 6-7 with a possibility of 8-9 if the ball bounces our way.

The Stanford kid looks good on paper, I'll admit. But not so much so that not getting him is cause for any concern.

HancockCountyDog
01-29-2020, 12:00 PM
But with Schrader, Mayden and Rogers, I'm having a difficult time understanding the urgency to get a transfer. Leach is known for doing pretty well with less talent and depth. We are talking about an initial season where the expectations for winning are around 6-7 with a possibility of 8-9 if the ball bounces our way.

The Stanford kid looks good on paper, I'll admit. But not so much so that not getting him is cause for any concern.

When you have a chance to add a kid that has thrown for over 6K yards with 49TDs and only 17 Picks - averaging over 60% completion percentage vs. Two QBs who have never taken a college snap and one who has thrown for about 1K yards and had 8TDS and 5 picks and apparently has some growing up to do (This is per several posters on this board - not me); You take the known entity. Personally I think giving Shrader a year to learn the system and develop is perfect for his overall development.

I hope we land Costello and Shrader sees the same thing.

Johnson85
01-29-2020, 12:08 PM

That is a true sophomore that played a good bit, a Rs So (or maybe true Jr.; not sure if Mayde got to redshirt) that has basically has not played, and a true freshman. It's not as bad as it could be b/c Shrader got good experience this year, but it's not clear that Shrader fits what Leach wants to do at all or that Leach would have recruited either Mayden or Shrader. A one year stop gap could do a ton to ease the transition this first year.