PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Scrimmage recap

Choctaw Dawg
01-27-2020, 11:48 AM
Went to two of the scrimmages this weekend at the Dude, here's what I saw:

Ginn looks damn good, good movement on what he threw.

Price looked great too, it'll be awesome if he becomes a reliable piece out the pen this year. 2.1 innings with no walks or hits

We won't have to worry about hitting this year, of course there really wasn't much to take away from that this weekend.

Cerantola had only caused four outs before they pulled him at 30 pitches. So obviously no control from him yet, he was already sitting mid 90's with his fastball though so we can all hope that he can start finding the strike zone.

Obviously not much to take away first weekend of practice, cannot wait for opening day. Hail State

AlSwearengen
01-27-2020, 11:51 AM
How “wild” was Cerantola? Was he just off the plate or was he throwing it behind the batter and over their heads?

I saw that about Price. Would be huge if he can come all the way back.

Commercecomet24
01-27-2020, 11:59 AM
JT worked all summer and fall on a changeup and he's developed it well. It's gonna be a pitch he can use against the lefties especially, to go along with the FB and slider. I expect him to win big this year and as you pointed we are gonna hit well.

AlSwearengen
01-27-2020, 12:10 PM
JT worked all summer and fall on a changeup and he's developed it well. It's gonna be a pitch he can use against the lefties especially, to go along with the FB and slider. I expect him to win big this year and as you pointed we are gonna hit well.

If his changeup is half as good as his other two pitches and if he shows that he is more durable, he should move on up into the middle of the 1st, I would think.

ShotgunDawg
01-27-2020, 12:15 PM

Does JT ever expect to start logging innings?

Most of the Friday night guys around the country are throwing 4 innings right now & JT has only thrown 3 innings since the CWS & 11 pitches this Spring?

Is he going to want to come out after 2 innings once the season starts?

JT's stuff is the least of his concerns

ShotgunDawg
01-27-2020, 12:17 PM
If his changeup is half as good as his other two pitches and if he shows that he is more durable, he should move on up into the middle of the 1st, I would think.

he's going to have to log innings to go that high. Teams are concerned that he is scared of getting hurt & not going to log enough innings for teams to be comfortable

It's a really really strong college pitching draft, so JT is going to have to perform & log a ton of innings to go in the middle of the 1st round.

confucius say
01-27-2020, 12:30 PM
he's going to have to log innings to go that high. Teams are concerned that he is scared of getting hurt & not going to log enough innings for teams to be comfortable

It's a really really strong college pitching draft, so JT is going to have to perform & log a ton of innings to go in the middle of the 1st round.

He threw 86 innings last year. Second on the team behind smalls 107. If he throws 86 dominant innings this year and is fully healthy scouts won't care one bit that he didn't throw 107.

ShotgunDawg
01-27-2020, 12:32 PM
He threw 86 innings last year. Second on the team behind smalls 107. If he throws 86 dominant innings this year and is fully healthy scouts won't care one bit that he didn't throw 107.

I agree. We'll see if he throws that many.

Again, he's thrown 3 innings since the CWS & 11 pitches thus far this Spring.

confucius say
01-27-2020, 12:37 PM
I agree. We'll see if he throws that many.

Again, he's thrown 3 innings since the CWS & 11 pitches thus far this Spring.

You mean against live hitters in scrimmages? Or are you counting bullpens and simulated game bullpens?

ShotgunDawg
01-27-2020, 12:43 PM
You mean against live hitters in scrimmages? Or are you counting bullpens and simulated game bullpens?

Most of the weekend starters are throwing 4 innings right now across the country to build up their stamina. Ginn certainly seems behind in doing that

BrunswickDawg
01-27-2020, 01:17 PM
Most of the weekend starters are throwing 4 innings right now across the country to build up their stamina. Ginn certainly seems behind in doing that

Or maybe it's more important for us to see other pitchers in the first scrimmage to start figuring out roles. We know Ginn is #1. You have no idea what he has been doing in sim games or bullpen sessions.

ShotgunDawg
01-27-2020, 01:17 PM
Or maybe it's more important for us to see other pitchers in the first scrimmage to start figuring out roles. We know Ginn is #1. You have no idea what he has been doing in sim games or bullpen sessions.

I would not go down this road. Let's not debate this

confucius say
01-27-2020, 01:24 PM

It's obvious we are being cautious with him and limiting his innings right now. Nothing wrong with that.

He, Hancock of uga, and lacy of Aggie all through 85-90 innings last year.

Commercecomet24
01-27-2020, 01:28 PM
Does JT ever expect to start logging innings?

Most of the Friday night guys around the country are throwing 4 innings right now & JT has only thrown 3 innings since the CWS & 11 pitches this Spring?

Is he going to want to come out after 2 innings once the season starts?

JT's stuff is the least of his concerns

There's a reason they're being cautious with him and that's all i'm gonna say about that. Why don't we just wait and see how he does before we start banging on him. If he can't do his job then hammer away.

ShotgunDawg
01-27-2020, 01:40 PM
There's a reason they're being cautious with him and that's all i'm gonna say about that. Why don't we just wait and see how he does before we start banging on him. If he can't do his job then hammer away.

Good deal

BrunswickDawg
01-27-2020, 01:49 PM

Isn't that why you started the post questioning why he wasn't being used more???

There are any number of reasons why we didn't push a kid into throwing 4 innings in the first scrimmage - and if you can't comprehend that, I can't help you.
As CC24 said we are being cautious with him - and I'm sure our coaches know a helluva lot more about what they are doing then you do.

AlSwearengen
01-27-2020, 02:08 PM
Back to the important question. How wild was Cerantola? How badly was he missing the zone?

ShotgunDawg
01-27-2020, 02:12 PM
Back to the important question. How wild was Cerantola? How badly was he missing the zone?

This team has real starting pitching concerns

timotheus
01-27-2020, 02:28 PM
How are the catchers doing?

CadaverDawg
01-27-2020, 03:04 PM
Cerantola = Evan Mitchell

KOdawg1
01-27-2020, 03:13 PM
We'll have one of the best offenses in the country with the core of Allen, Foscue, Westburg, and Jordan. How far this team goes will come down to pitching, both from starters and the bullpen. Can Ginn give us 6-7 innings every Friday night? Is Macleod legit as advertised? Has Cerantola fixed his control issues? Who'll be our closer? Who's our first guy out of the pen? Who's our mid-week guy?

Lots of questions pitching wise. Also lots of unproven talent. I'm excited to see how it all unfolds.

ZedFedder
01-27-2020, 03:20 PM
I think Friday and Saturday are going to be very solid. I think Cerantola will be fine, too.

ShotgunDawg
01-27-2020, 03:31 PM
I think Friday and Saturday are going to be very solid. I think Cerantola will be fine, too.

We'll see

Homedawg
01-27-2020, 03:37 PM
Cerantola is a crap shoot until proven otherwise. Ginn's durability is still in doubt. Macloud is legit but unproven. Plenty of questions, to go along w lots of talent.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-27-2020, 05:18 PM
Almost every team has MASSIVE question marks at this point.

Seriously, even for SEC teams the Sunday starter is up for grabs even in conference play. And no SEC team has anywhere near the proven bullpen guys get through even half of an SEC series of relief work.

Baseball is probably the most crapshoot sport there is. All you can do is recruit well, hope injures dont bite you, and wait for the talent to align and you get a complete team.

Cerantola might get it together, and he might not. But every year we have great pitches with bad outing and bad pitchers with good ones... so we sadly cant read much into anything he does

confucius say
01-27-2020, 05:59 PM
I think koestler will help us on the mound. Veteran, crafty.

Todd4State
01-27-2020, 06:03 PM
Having four pitching coaches in five years is about to bite us in the ass. Probably. We have starters with low stamina and a lot of questions in the bullpen.

Homedawg
01-27-2020, 08:21 PM
Having four pitching coaches in five years is about to bite us in the ass. Probably. We have starters with low stamina and a lot of questions in the bullpen.

Having 4 pitching coaches in 5 years is going to bite us? How. Makes no sense. We have the same guy for 2 years in a row. We have almost zero jr pitchers that were hs signees.
ETA- we have 2 pitchers who were here 2 years ago. Price and self

Coach34
01-27-2020, 09:19 PM
Cerantola is a crap shoot until proven otherwise. Ginn's durability is still in doubt. Macloud is legit but unproven. Plenty of questions, to go along w lots of talent.

Yep- my boy Homedawg knows. We have 4 guys that could possibly hit .350 this year. Our offense should be top 10

Pitching is a huge concern. Cerentola has to be a factor or we are ****ed.
Ginn needs to log frontline innings or it hurts us and hurts his draft slot
Bullpen has lots of questions

Pitching will decide if we compete for a Natty or fizzle out in a Super

Todd4State
01-27-2020, 09:45 PM
Having 4 pitching coaches in 5 years is going to bite us? How. Makes no sense. We have the same guy for 2 years in a row. We have almost zero jr pitchers that were hs signees.
ETA- we have 2 pitchers who were here 2 years ago. Price and self

Inconsistent recruiting and differing philosophies over the past few years. Like you said- we haven't had time to build up a group that has consistently been coached by Foxhall over a three year period. Yet. And almost none from Henderson.