PDA

View Full Version : NET up to 48: Got a Quadrant 1 Win Too

confucius say
01-26-2020, 10:00 PM
Even with the OK loss, our net jumped from 53 to 48. And ark jumped from 34 to 28 so our win over then became quadrant 1.

Joebob
01-26-2020, 10:06 PM
Absolutely nothing is going to get me excited about this team. I’ve just been watching Howland’s teams for too long.

msstate7
01-26-2020, 10:07 PM
We play #35 (Florida) on road and #54 (Tennessee) at home this week

confucius say
01-26-2020, 10:12 PM
Absolutely nothing is going to get me excited about this team. I’ve just been watching Howland’s teams for too long.

Yea I know. But if we win two this week our NET will jump to 40 and we will he projected in the tourney and I will be excited for a 8 pm tip in Lexington the following Tuesday.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-26-2020, 10:13 PM
Yeah If we play like we can the rest of the way we'll get in and can win a few. If we play as bad as we have at times we'll get bounced from the NIT early. If we play to our average we probably miss the tourney. Most likely though we'll have a few good, a few bad, and a few mediocre games (OU was a mediocre game) and we do nothing of note even if we squeak into the tourney, which we probably won't.

Next year we repeat the same song and dance. I will say though that this team showed they are capable of playing at a high level, which no Howland team before has shown

Ari Gold
01-26-2020, 10:14 PM

Don’t come back

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-26-2020, 10:19 PM
Don’t come back

Hate this attitude. "If you aren't positive go away".

What did you think about the football team's future say, Dec 1st? I can't imagine the idea of JoMo being here filled you with optimism. Should you be banned if you shared that negative opinion on ED? Should those of us that bashed JoMo "not come back"?

Why is having a negative opinion on Howland fundamentally different?

HoopsDawg
01-26-2020, 10:23 PM
We are a good basketball team. Played awful against OU. Reggie had a meltdown. And we still almost won the game. OU had number 1 Baylor almost beat at Baylor.

dantheman4248
01-27-2020, 04:16 AM
Don’t come back

At some point you'll accept the fact that our men's team just isn't that entertaining. They don't display the discipline or drive anywhere near what the women's team does. They aren't fun to watch.

But hey blame students for not wanting to show up, blame fans for pointing out the lackluster effort and sluggishness, and tell everybody to kick rocks or pound sand.

(For the record, I support as much as I can and watch as much as I can. I just think it's ridiculous the entitlement that you display on behalf of the men's basketball team that we should bow down and praise / watch undyingly. Hell you told a guy to piss off that didnt even say he wasn't gonna watch. Just that there's nothing exciting about us. Objectively that's a fact. We don't play exciting basketball and we've lost he player who was our go-to in the clutch.)

OLJWales
01-27-2020, 08:18 AM
I don't care if they are not exciting, I wanna just win some damn games.

bigplayslay
01-27-2020, 08:53 AM
At some point you'll accept the fact that our men's team just isn't that entertaining. They don't display the discipline or drive anywhere near what the women's team does. They aren't fun to watch.

But hey blame students for not wanting to show up, blame fans for pointing out the lackluster effort and sluggishness, and tell everybody to kick rocks or pound sand.

(For the record, I support as much as I can and watch as much as I can. I just think it's ridiculous the entitlement that you display on behalf of the men's basketball team that we should bow down and praise / watch undyingly. Hell you told a guy to piss off that didnt even say he wasn't gonna watch. Just that there's nothing exciting about us. Objectively that's a fact. We don't play exciting basketball and we've lost he player who was our go-to in the clutch.)

This team absolutely has its faults and at times they start slow (hell pretty much every game). But I really don't think you can sit there and convince me that they play with lack luster effort. In the Oklahoma game we came back from being down big multiple times and had a shot to win at the end. I really don't think effort is the problem. Sometimes we play out of control and make dumb turnovers, sure. We are also two shots away (LSU and Oklahoma) from being 14-5... We're not because that's just how sports are sometimes.

PGHBulldogBG
01-27-2020, 09:03 AM
I don?t think it?s an effort problem it?s more an offensive coaching problem. I am really hoping in the off-season Howland hires someone to help offensively because he is lost in this aspect of the game. Let Howland control the defense and a top offensive mind control the offense.

CadaverDawg
01-27-2020, 09:13 AM
We'll be lucky to make the NIT. Too much talent to be 12-7.

msugolf
01-27-2020, 09:19 AM

I don't think they'll make the NIT this year. We are just playing the wrong style of basketball with our players' skills. Slow it down, half court sets, trying to force it into a big man is sooo out dated. We screwed up by not being a pressing uptempo squad with all of our athletes but I also don't think we have any coaches on staff that can install that type of system.

Cowbell
01-27-2020, 09:27 AM
Don’t come back

Quit getting your feelings hurt when someone gives their opinion of our basketball team and it doesn't line with yours. You are like the Yancy of State Basketball. This team is underperforming just like every team before it in the Howland era.

Ari Gold
01-27-2020, 10:43 AM
Quit getting your feelings hurt when someone gives their opinion of our basketball team and it doesn't line with yours. You are like the Yancy of State Basketball. This team is underperforming just like every team before it in the Howland era.

Feelings aren’t hurt at all..
he gave his opinion. I gave mine
If you don’t like. Oh well

So it’s ok to throw out negative opinions but if you rebuttal them I’m all of the sudden the Yancy of State basketball.? I dont even know what the **** that means.

I’m still trying to remember all the great runs MSU basketball has had since the 1995 sweet 16 run
And the 1996 final 4 run..

BeardoMSU
01-27-2020, 10:47 AM
I’m still trying to remember all the great runs MSU basketball has had since the 1995 sweet 16 run
And the 1996 final 4 run..

And speaking of underachieving...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=244000028

Ari Gold
01-27-2020, 11:06 AM
I don?t think it?s an effort problem it?s more an offensive coaching problem. I am really hoping in the off-season Howland hires someone to help offensively because he is lost in this aspect of the game. Let Howland control the defense and a top offensive mind control the offense.

We average 73 points a game
Tied for 7th in assists per game
3rd in fg%
6th ft %
2nd in 3pt %

I think we lead the sec maybe the nation in offensive rebound %

Agree the offense could be much smoother and better and I have no issue with CBH hiring another coach. I said it few years ago would love to get an Ex coach on the staff

Pipedream
01-27-2020, 11:50 AM

Look, I'm not saying we are going to make the NCAAT, but this statement right here is beyond ridiculous. According to Team Rankings we have a 60% chance to make the big dance. Warren Nolan is projecting us to go 21-10 (12-6) with a NET in the mid to low 30's. That's absolutely a tournament team. So, to say "we'll be lucky to make the NIT" is just laughable.

Ari Gold
01-27-2020, 01:24 PM
Look, I'm not saying we are going to make the NCAAT, but this statement right here is beyond ridiculous. According to Team Rankings we have a 60% chance to make the big dance. Warren Nolan is projecting us to go 21-10 (12-6) with a NET in the mid to low 30's. That's absolutely a tournament team. So, to say "we'll be lucky to make the NIT" is just laughable.

Again it’s why I have said we have the worse basketball IQ fans... and I can’t figure out why

We don’t have a tradition of making the big dance
Our program was at it lowest point since pre Richard Williams less than 7 years ago
CBH basically took over a dead program
Now..
We have a coach that’s getting NBA type players to at least give us a look if not come here
We are coming off a NCAA tourney bid
We still have a very young team with a top 50 player signed for 2020
Besides Nick 20 game suspension there has been relatively little off the court problems or issues with players
We are winning basketball games

So unless your are Kentucky, Duke, Kansas , Mich state, ect... that’s sounds like a prob good situation

Pipedream
01-27-2020, 01:53 PM
Again it?s why I have said we have the worse basketball IQ fans... and I can?t figure out why

We don?t have a tradition of making the big dance
Our program was at it lowest point since pre Richard Williams less than 7 years ago
CBH basically took over a dead program
Now..
We have a coach that?s getting NBA type players to at least give us a look if not come here
We are coming off a NCAA tourney bid
We still have a very young team with a top 50 player signed for 2020
Besides Nick 20 game suspension there has been relatively little off the court problems or issues with players
We are winning basketball games

So unless your are Kentucky, Duke, Kansas , Mich state, ect... that?s sounds like a prob good situation

It's just something weird about Howland and his coaching style. I get it. I'm up and down about his teams game to game. They're frustrating because you see how talented they are. And he's been a bad coach at certain parts of his tenure here. But we are pretty solid this year and they're playing pretty good. NCAAT bid or not, it's at least nice to be in the conversation as opposed to the Rick Ray era.