PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Dawg forum....Weekend cooking & drinking thread.....

Offshore Dawg
01-23-2020, 11:27 PM
To those of you that have posted pictures of your weekend cooking and recipes " THANK YOU VERY MUCH ". I love reading those post and notice that it is for the most part 10 - 12 posters that carry the whole forum. Sorry I am not a good griller but love eating good grilling, and seeing the pictures. I posted this here for dawgs that haven't visited to give it a shot.

Uncle Ruckus
01-24-2020, 08:53 AM
It?s died over there, and you can really blame it on our lack luster finish. No excitement. No reason to go all out in game days. It?ll pick back up, but it?d be nice to have some more of you join in on it. No other board like it for state fans.

DownwardDawg
01-24-2020, 09:00 AM
I lurk over there and read sometimes because I’m a big outdoor enthusiast, but I don’t post much. I killed a real good one this year and thought about posting a pic but didn’t want to come across as a douche bragging. Lol

Prediction? Pain.
01-24-2020, 09:13 AM
I lurk over there and read sometimes because I’m a big outdoor enthusiast, but I don’t post much. I killed a real good one this year and thought about posting a pic but didn’t want to come across as a douche bragging. Lol

Dude, I post pictures of big rocks I see in the woods. Come on down! Bragging douches welcome!

ScoobaDawg
01-24-2020, 11:12 AM
Good job guys. The theme for this weekend... starting at 6pm today... Is craft beer... and lot's of it. A local watering hole in my town is closing shop on sunday... Besides Rick's it's the only bar I've become a regular at.. know a lot of the bartenders over the years.. the owner.. the beer buyer.. the kitchen manager.. great friends but it's the state of small restaurants in our nation. Luckily they have a 2nd location but it's in a whole different type environment and not close enough for me to just drop by after work on certain days. So the plan is to party it up there all night tonight and then again sunday, until we literally tun out the lights. Sandwiched in between will be one of my favorite local craft breweries celebrating their 7th anniversary with 70 craft beer beers on tap...

And then on Monday. I start straight (mostly). Back on Keto. No beer for exactly 2 months. A local beer fest is exactly 2 months away and I have lifetime tickets to it, so that will by my celebration to break it.
Now I'm not giving up alcohol though.. switching to Red wine, bourbon, whiskey, and scotch when I like. All low carb options. Need to pick up a few more bottles of those things, my collection has gotten light.

StateDawg44
01-24-2020, 11:33 AM
I'll be smoking some chili for a 4-day fly fishing trip on the White in AR next week. Pumped

https://www.food.com/recipe/smoked-quot-over-the-top-quot-chili-534628

Don't have a green egg but have a box smoker and it works just fine in this.

DownwardDawg
01-24-2020, 11:49 AM
Dude, I post pictures of big rocks I see in the woods. Come on down! Bragging douches welcome!

Lol. Alrighty then.

DownwardDawg
01-24-2020, 11:51 AM
Good job guys. The theme for this weekend... starting at 6pm today... Is craft beer... and lot's of it. A local watering hole in my town is closing shop on sunday... Besides Rick's it's the only bar I've become a regular at.. know a lot of the bartenders over the years.. the owner.. the beer buyer.. the kitchen manager.. great friends but it's the state of small restaurants in our nation. Luckily they have a 2nd location but it's in a whole different type environment and not close enough for me to just drop by after work on certain days. So the plan is to party it up there all night tonight and then again sunday, until we literally tun out the lights. Sandwiched in between will be one of my favorite local craft breweries celebrating their 7th anniversary with 70 craft beer beers on tap...

And then on Monday. I start straight (mostly). Back on Keto. No beer for exactly 2 months. A local beer fest is exactly 2 months away and I have lifetime tickets to it, so that will by my celebration to break it.
Now I'm not giving up alcohol though.. switching to Red wine, bourbon, whiskey, and scotch when I like. All low carb options. Need to pick up a few more bottles of those things, my collection has gotten light.

I love craft beer, but I really love me some bourbon.

FISHDAWG
01-24-2020, 11:58 AM
I'll be smoking some chili for a 4-day fly fishing trip on the White in AR next week. Pumped

https://www.food.com/recipe/smoked-quot-over-the-top-quot-chili-534628

Don't have a green egg but have a box smoker and it works just fine in this.

that sounds awesome - post pics (of the fishing trip)

Gutter Cobreh
01-24-2020, 12:18 PM

Agree with Prediction!!!

Beast did an amazing job carrying the forum consistently, as there were days during the football season where I'd come on the site just to go to that specific forum because I couldn't handle what was happening in sports.

I've learned so much about grilling and getting new ideas for things to try because I'd see what someone else was doing. I even enjoy seeing Prediction's rock photos or what someone else caught fishing or hunting. I know zilch about open water fishing, but through reading what others are doing - it at the least gives you an avenue to understand it a bit better.

Duckdog
01-24-2020, 01:59 PM
I lurk over there and read sometimes because I?m a big outdoor enthusiast, but I don?t post much. I killed a real good one this year and thought about posting a pic but didn?t want to come across as a douche bragging. Lol

Post it up!! I need to post some duck hunting pics Ive been slacking

BeastMan
01-24-2020, 04:43 PM
I posted that thread every Friday for years until recently. So it’s kinda on me but the participation was dwindling so I kinda dropped out.

Uncle Ruckus
01-24-2020, 08:01 PM
I posted that thread every Friday for years until recently. So it’s kinda on me but the participation was dwindling so I kinda dropped out.
I started one earlier today. Let?s see how it goes

Vandownbytheriver
01-24-2020, 09:26 PM
I'm a craft beer geek. Love IPAs, stouts, strong ales, and barleywines. There was a time were I wanted to be a cicerone. Now I just drink what I like and sometimes still get into beer and food pairings. Unfortunately, most people craft beer people are complete tools. They follow the trends and try to dog people who like Mich Ultra, Bud Light and Miller Lite. Drink what you like. If I don't like it, why should anyone care? Same as bourbon people, is Pappy really the be all end all or is it just hype?

Activated Alpha
01-25-2020, 05:04 PM
I'm a craft beer geek. Love IPAs, stouts, strong ales, and barleywines. There was a time were I wanted to be a cicerone. Now I just drink what I like and sometimes still get into beer and food pairings. Unfortunately, most people craft beer people are complete tools. They follow the trends and try to dog people who like Mich Ultra, Bud Light and Miller Lite. Drink what you like. If I don't like it, why should anyone care? Same as bourbon people, is Pappy really the be all end all or is it just hype?

Never had Pappy, but tried to bribe my mother-in-law who is in a relationship with a millionaire to get me a Johnny Walker blue ribbon for Christmas. Didn't happen unfortunately. I hear Pappy is really smooth. I love craft beer and love trying all kinds of beer. However, if I want to just get a cheap beer to drink over the weekend I will get the Rolling Rock 8 count for $6. Once the cashier just rang it up for $2. Score....

On the cooking topic, I made some homemade biscuits this morning and going to do my Cajun sausage and shrimp pasta with zucchini and jalapeno peppers

DownwardDawg
01-25-2020, 06:41 PM

I agree. I love to have a few miller lights from time to time.
Pappy is really good, smooth, but to me it’s not close to being worth the price. It’s a collectors item. Weller 12 year.....I love it. It retails for about $45-$50 bucks, but it’s almost impossible to find. I found one at Christmas and the guy wanted $240!!!! I laughed at him and didn’t buy anything from his store. I’m sure he sold it to a “collector”. I finally got lucky and picked one up 2nd hand for $75, and it’s not really worth that much!!!

Vandownbytheriver
01-25-2020, 08:29 PM
Never had Pappy, but tried to bribe my mother-in-law who is in a relationship with a millionaire to get me a Johnny Walker blue ribbon for Christmas. Didn't happen unfortunately. I hear Pappy is really smooth. I love craft beer and love trying all kinds of beer. However, if I want to just get a cheap beer to drink over the weekend I will get the Rolling Rock 8 count for $6. Once the cashier just rang it up for $2. Score....

On the cooking topic, I made some homemade biscuits this morning and going to do my Cajun sausage and shrimp pasta with zucchini and jalapeno peppers

Here lately my go to is Fear Movie Lions. And my golf course beer is and will always be PBR tallboys.

I bought an offset smoker in the Fall and have been using it almost daily. I get a free turkey for Thanksgiving and smoked it for 8 hours using pecan wood. Turned out great. I've been tampering with my rib recipe a lot lately. Trying different rubs, glazes, finishing sauces, etc. I usually use honey and brown sugar during my second hour of 3-2-1 smoking, but ran out of honey last week. I had sorghum and used it in its place. Complete game changer.