PDA

View Full Version : We getting all excited about the QB transfer

Coach34
01-23-2020, 09:15 PM
ok. I hear ya.

What does KT do? Does he transfer or move to WR
Gotta think Mayden will start looking at this point. We keep bringing people in to bury him on the chart
Shrader? This guy is not known for hard work in the 1st place and may bolt because of the new workout program- but bringing in someone to replace him could easily make him look round.

The Pirate will absolutely fix the QB position- but short term it could implode. Just more entertainment in 2020

chef dixon
01-23-2020, 09:22 PM
It has been imploded for the last year

Cooterpoot
01-23-2020, 09:29 PM
im Not going to worry about the QB spot. Leach will find QBs. The ones on the roster have to work to earn it. KT is done here no matter what.

smootness
01-23-2020, 09:30 PM
?

Please, this is in no way a negative.

Worst case scenario, we start redshirt freshman Will Rogers next year...which may be our best move even if all those guys stick around.

ShotgunDawg
01-23-2020, 09:37 PM
I think Mayden transfers

I think Shrader stays, redshirts, and competes next Spring for the job.

I'd think if you'd like to be an NFL QB, transferring when Mike Leach is your coach would be pretty stupid unless you have no avenue for playing time. I expect Shrader to stick it out until all avenues are blocked.

If Shrader doesn't want to work, then good bye and don't let the door hit you. We need Dawgs here. It's the only way we'll win.

Read about Leach recruiting Josh Heupel and you'll understand

ShotgunDawg
01-23-2020, 09:38 PM
Pretty Leach can go get a good grad transfer every year if need be anyway. What grad transfer QB will turn down the opportunity to lead the nation in passing? None.

Todd4State
01-23-2020, 09:56 PM
Shrader may also thrive if he's held accountable. Same could be said about the rest of our team. And he may not and leave.

It sounds like KT will switch to WR if what I heard is correct.

I can't see Mayden ever being our QB1 no matter the coach.

Will probably be Rogers and Shrader competing for the job. The thing is as long as we redshirt Rogers Shrader will still be a year ahead of him even if Shrader redshirts.

Todd4State
01-23-2020, 09:57 PM
Pretty Leach can go get a good grad transfer every year if need be anyway. What grad transfer QB will turn down the opportunity to lead the nation in passing? None.

Or end up like Gardner Minchew except do it playing in the SEC.

The immediate interest from transfer QB's has been eye opening to me.

defiantdog
01-23-2020, 10:06 PM
The QB situation will be minimal compared to the conditioning program the team is going through..... they're going from sitting around eating donuts to waking up before dawn and running WITH the S&C coach. Huge difference in that staff.

Rex54
01-23-2020, 10:41 PM
OP trying desperately to "be right" on this being a bad hire it appears...
IDGAF about anyone else since this is Will Rogers team 2021-2024

Dawg2003
01-23-2020, 10:52 PM
One thing I have learned is that there is a steady supply of QBs in the transfer portal.

BeardoMSU
01-23-2020, 11:01 PM
Someone can't wait for disaster...

basedog
01-24-2020, 07:32 AM
My two cents, I've seen Rogers play, I don't think he is physically ready to play as a freshman. Yes he can spin the ball and has a good arm but physically he needs another year in the weight room.
Shrader, talented yes, will he leave, iffy, there is no reason why he couldn't be ok in Leach's offense. Have not a clue what is going on with him except he is young and obviously hasn't grown into a "man" yet. Maybe Leach is his answer, I hope so.
Mayden, have not a clue what is going on.

Now, some of you guys need to relax on portal QB's "dying" to play for Leach. Yes there are some available but again it has to be the right fit for both QB and Leach, plus is StarkVegas the place they want to live for a year. We should all remember the Tommy Stevens that backfired, oh it can back fire again or it can be a plus. Just IFFY.

Me, I think it's gonna be a big rebuilding year on everything in our program. I see good things and I see some tough times next year. Playing in the Sec West is tough, I remember hearing JWS saying Starkville/Msu football is not a easy place to win.

Tbonewannabe
01-24-2020, 07:58 AM
The QB situation will be minimal compared to the conditioning program the team is going through..... they're going from sitting around eating donuts to waking up before dawn and running WITH the S&C coach. Huge difference in that staff.

Pot/kettle situation but the last S&C coach looked like my fatass that would be able to run up the steps about 1 time. I don't trust a trainer or S&C coach who doesn't look like they work out.

Tbonewannabe
01-24-2020, 08:06 AM
My two cents, I've seen Rogers play, I don't think he is physically ready to play as a freshman. Yes he can spin the ball and has a good arm but physically he needs another year in the weight room.
Shrader, talented yes, will he leave, iffy, there is no reason why he couldn't be ok in Leach's offense. Have not a clue what is going on with him except he is young and obviously hasn't grown into a "man" yet. Maybe Leach is his answer, I hope so.

Now, some of you guys need to relax on portal QB's "dying" to play for Leach. Yes there are some available but again it has to be the right fit for both QB and Leach, plus is StarkVegas the place they want to live for a year. We should all remember the Tommy Stevens that backfired, oh it can back fire again or it can be a plus. Just IFFY.

Me, I think it's gonna be a big rebuilding year on everything in our program. I see good things and I see some tough times next year. Playing in the Sec West is tough, I remember hearing JWS saying Starkville/Msu football is not a easy place to win.

Not saying any grad transfer is a sure thing to work out but Leach has proven that he can take just about anybody that can legitimately play D1 QB and produce a top 10 national passing game. The QBs we are talking about are top 10 high school QBs and the guy at Stanford is a proven commodity similar to how Hurts went to Oklahoma and was in the Heisman race. There was zero chance Hurts was going to bomb like Stevens did barring some injury. Pretty much the same scenario for Costello. The Clemson QB is a little bit more of an unproven commodity but he is transferring because he is behind the top returning QB in college football.

There is also the obvious coaching difference between Leach and Moorhead/Breiner. One took a basic walk on and turned him into a household name and now NFL starter in his rookie year. The other took a top 3 SEC redshirt senior and turn him into a mediocre at best QB.

Dawgfan77
01-24-2020, 08:09 AM
Like 34 but he is grasping here with Leach. If Castello returned to Stanford and put up # this year as he did in 18 he would be one of the top QBs in the 21 draft. He could be here in 20 and possibly be a top 10 pick next April.

Tbonewannabe
01-24-2020, 08:15 AM
Like 34 but he is grasping here with Leach. If Castello returned to Stanford and put up # this year as he did in 18 he would be one of the top QBs in the 21 draft. He could be here in 20 and possibly be a top 10 pick next April.

This would be like getting Hurts last year. The only way the guy isn't successful is due to injury or if somehow our WRs can't catch a ball. I have a feeling that Leach will have WRs on the field that will catch at a lot better rate than the previous 2 years.

msstate7
01-24-2020, 08:17 AM

Assuming we get him, I think Costello will be very successful here. Top 10 pick though, not buying that at all

Tbonewannabe
01-24-2020, 08:23 AM
Assuming we get him, I think Costello will be very successful here. Top 10 pick though, not buying that at all

That is definitely VERY optimistic. I would say maybe top 5-10 QB in the NFL draft but that is also about potential as much as stats. Costello is a safe bet that gives us the best shot at 8 wins next year. I would say if he is the starting QB we probably go from 6 wins to 8 wins maybe. We certainly have a chance at 8 wins with the QBs on the roster but the likelihood is increased with Costello. Right now I put the floor at 5 wins and ceiling at 8 wins. I put it at 5 wins because we just don't know how much damage Moorhead did to the program and if it can be fixed that quickly. Leach certainly has the track record that you would think 6-8 are probably more likely.

Dawgface
01-24-2020, 08:28 AM
If the QB situation implodes....so be it. I wish KT would take a shot at a WR role. He could always serve as an emergency qb if needed. But if he is dead set on being a qb I imagine he transfers after Spring ball. Unless he suddenly wakes up and thrives as a qb under Leach.....which I doubt.

Tbonewannabe
01-24-2020, 08:34 AM
If the QB situation implodes....so be it. I wish KT would take a shot at a WR role. He could always serve as an emergency qb if needed. But if he is dead set on being a qb I imagine he transfers after Spring ball. Unless he suddenly wakes up and thrives as a qb under Leach.....which I doubt.

KT is athletic enough for a shot at NFL WR. Not sure if he has the talent to be a NFL QB or Moorhead screwed us a lot worse than we could have imagined. I hope he gives it a shot because I think he could do well.

Dawgfan77
01-24-2020, 08:50 AM

You say that and I respect your opinion but here are his JR stats in a pro style system. And he was second team all pac 12
269/413 65.1 3540yds 29TDs 11 ints

msstate7
01-24-2020, 08:52 AM
You say that and I respect your opinion but here are his JR stats in a pro style system. And he was second team all pac 12

If he were in that realm, I think he'd turn pro this season. Anything could happen (burrow), but highly unlikely imo

ETA... just having a great year here and getting drafted would be fantastic for us and him

TheLostDawg
01-24-2020, 08:52 AM
Wasn't it Jameon Lewis that was a QB turned wr. Couldn't KT do this and skyrocket up the draft if it turns out he can catch and makes a lot of athletic plays with with hands, arms, and ability running.

Coursesuper
01-24-2020, 08:54 AM

This, we have way to many folks here going over the top out of their gourd right now. As a whole we need to calm down and just let his happen, if its good or better than expected that's great, but this bunch has miles to go before they get there.

RezDog7
01-24-2020, 09:01 AM
OP trying desperately to "be right" on this being a bad hire it appears...
IDGAF about anyone else since this is Will Rogers team 2021-2024

Unfortunately the OP poster only has one agenda, post negative shit to keep everyone stirred up.

He bitched about Stansburry until he was fired.
Bitched about Mullen until he left.
Bitched about Moorhead until he was fired.
Already started several threads bitching about Leach.
Maybe he just likes to bitch.

MrKotter
01-24-2020, 09:05 AM
Unfortunately the OP poster only has one agenda, post negative shit to keep everyone stirred up.

He bitched about Stansburry until he was fired.
Bitched about Mullen until he left.
Bitched about Moorhead until he was fired.
Already started several threads bitching about Leach.
Maybe he just likes to bitch.

He just needs attention.

Cooterpoot
01-24-2020, 09:08 AM
KT isn't a WR. He's going to transfer out and we can then quit discussing him finally. Had Mullen stayed, maybe QB would've worked for him. He'll do well at Nichols or McNeese or a directional LA school. Nothing wrong with that.

HailStateSZN19
01-24-2020, 09:17 AM
Why is it some of our fans can't just sit back and enjoy the complete 180 we've made in the last 3 weeks? We went from complete apathy, not wanting the 2020 season to come, no one wanting to go to the games, calling for Joe to be fired immediately & NOW we've hired a sitting P5 HC who has 139 career wins/is a national treasure and darling/one of the greatest and most proven offensive minds in all of CFB, we have tons of momentum going into 2020 now, hired a solid DC from a P5 school who's got tons of upside, we have lost ONLY 1 signee and Dawgfan77 says it was encouraged, we've got a proven grad transfer QB heavily leaning towards us and OV'ing this weekend who threw for 3,600 yds with 29 TD's as a junior and was rated the #45 NFL prospect overall going into 2019 season, and now the fanbase is completely united (well, most people who aren't hell-bent on trying to spread pessimism) and we're about to sell TONS of season tickets when we previously would have lost tons and we will have a HUGE crowd at the Spring game simply because everyone is so damn excited to see how the Pirate's offense looks with SEC athletes.

All to say, if you can't just be excited and quit trying to spread pessimistic BS when we've done unprecedented things at MSU this month and things are looking up for the program when it looked doomed a month ago, then get help. #SwingYourSword #HailDamnState

ShotgunDawg
01-24-2020, 09:19 AM

Somebody's wife yelled at them this morning and they spilled their coffee on their crotch on the way to work.

HancockCountyDog
01-24-2020, 09:25 AM
KT isn't a WR. He's going to transfer out and we can then quit discussing him finally. Had Mullen stayed, maybe QB would've worked for him. He'll do well at Nichols or McNeese or a directional LA school. Nothing wrong with that.

I'll be interested to see what happens with him. He certainly doesn't fit this offense, but I'm not sure what his options are that he likes. He wanted to leave in the summer/early fall and he really didn't have any options.

Its easy to talk about transferring to a McNeese or Nichols, but boy the culture shock in how you are treated by the schools is shocking. Being on a SEC roster comes with significant perks from types of food to training staff and facilities. My guess is he leaves, but I'm not sure he is eager to. Heck - he hasn't left this offseason when every objective fan/coach would tell him his playing days at MSU are done.

As for Mayden, I'm guessing he gives spring a shot. If Costello comes my guess is that he leaves, which makes sense. We aren't running a RPO offense. I think we roll with Costello/Shrader/Rogers next year which is great QB depth for a Leach offense.

RiverCityDawg
01-24-2020, 09:27 AM
If Shrader leaves because he doesn't like the off-season workout program and/or he doesn't get to start as a true sophomore (even though the path is there to redshirt and start the next year) then do we really care if he leaves?

We've had two coaches in a row now who seem to not care if KT stays or goes, so it's hard for me to be worried about this.

Where's Mayden going to go? Texas A&M Corpus Christi?

You don't NOT go get a guy much better than everyone else in your room because you're afraid some of them will be upset or leave, particularly when you don't seem to believe in those guys anyway.

This whole deal is a shakeup, so of course things could be shaken up.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-24-2020, 09:27 AM
ok. I hear ya.

Gotta think Mayden will start looking at this point. We keep bringing people in to bury him on the chart
Shrader? This guy is not known for hard work in the 1st place and may bolt because of the new workout program- but bringing in someone to replace him could easily make him look round.

The Pirate will absolutely fix the QB position- but short term it could implode. Just more entertainment in 2020

Who cares if it implodes? Are we more concerned about "hurtin somebody's lil feelins" OR what's best for the team and winning football games?

Tbonewannabe
01-24-2020, 09:33 AM
I'll be interested to see what happens with him. He certainly doesn't fit this offense, but I'm not sure what his options are that he likes. He wanted to leave in the summer/early fall and he really didn't have any options.

Its easy to talk about transferring to a McNeese or Nichols, but boy the culture shock in how you are treated by the schools is shocking. Being on a SEC roster comes with significant perks from types of food to training staff and facilities. My guess is he leaves, but I'm not sure he is eager to. Heck - he hasn't left this offseason when every objective fan/coach would tell him his playing days at MSU are done.

As for Mayden, I'm guessing he gives spring a shot. If Costello comes my guess is that he leaves, which makes sense. We aren't running a RPO offense. I think we roll with Costello/Shrader/Rogers next year which is great QB depth for a Leach offense.

The thing is, the chance at playing in the NFL is about zero as a QB at McNeese unless Moorhead and Leach don't recognize NFL talent. KT has looked pretty good running with the ball and he is athletic. He might like the idea of giving WR a shot in a Leach offense if it gives him a chance at the NFL otherwise he basically has zero chance. He also then stays at a SEC school with all of his friends. Not everyone that plays QB is like Tebow, QB or bust. A lot of guys would have taken the chance playing TE or FB in a NFL offense if the other choice is not playing at all.

Tbonewannabe
01-24-2020, 09:36 AM
If Shrader leaves because he doesn't like the off-season workout program and/or he doesn't get to start as a true sophomore (even though the path is there to redshirt and start the next year) then do we really care if he leaves?

We've had two coaches in a row now who seem to not care if KT stays or goes, so it's hard for me to be worried about this.

You don't NOT go get a guy much better than everyone else in your room because you're afraid some of them will be upset or leave, particularly when you don't seem to believe in those guys anyway.

If you are losing guys to McNeese or some other low level team, are those guys that would have really contributed at a high level anyway? It would be different if you are a team like Wake Forest that just lost their QB to UGA or UGA losing a Oline to UT.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-24-2020, 09:37 AM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SafeCarefulLeopardseal-size_restricted.gif

Tbonewannabe
01-24-2020, 09:43 AM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SafeCarefulLeopardseal-size_restricted.gif

Bob Sagat's line is pure magic.

QuadrupleOption
01-24-2020, 09:59 AM
I think y'all may be jumping the gun a bit. Leach said in his interview with Bo Bounds yesterday that the staff won't know what they have at the QB position until they get into Spring practice and have a chance to evaluate. They only QBs they have any film on at all are Shrader and KT, both of which ran different offenses.

I don't think KT is accurate enough to make the cut at QB here, and he may end up transferring out anyway. Shrader seemed pretty accurate last season but Leach may want to redshirt him, who knows?

But in any event, they'll get a shot this Spring. I don't think Leach has already made his mind up and put these guys out to pasture. I just don't think that's the way he's wired.

Irondawg
01-24-2020, 10:09 AM
Yep even we get a grad transfer QB I don't think it the kind of guy who would automatically start him. I think he'll throw them all out there and play who he likes best, period.

Now I understand you go get a grad transfer QB only if you think he's going to be better than what you have. He's played Costello and while he might have heard some things about GS and watched some film he's never seen him throw live or seen how well he'll be at reading defenses.

Johnson85
01-24-2020, 10:15 AM
im Not going to worry about the QB spot. Leach will find QBs. The ones on the roster have to work to earn it. KT is done here no matter what.

Are you basing that on inside knowledge or just on the assumption that he doesn't fit the offense?

I don't think he can be QB, but we have a lot of opportunity for a WR that can catch the ball. If KT is athletic enough for WR, it doesn't seem crazy to me that he would try WR rather than transfer to G5 or FCS.

BeastMan
01-24-2020, 10:18 AM
Not worried about it. Not even a little. Worse case scenario after 5 season ending injuries Leach would trot out a walk-on and throw for 350 a game avg

Homedawg
01-24-2020, 10:58 AM
Somebody's wife yelled at them this morning and they spilled their coffee on their crotch on the way to work.

What did he say that was wrong??? Next week, maybe even next hour, you will agrees with all or most of what he said. Then reverse course in spring, and bounce back and forth 100 times before this time next year. Again, his lost was pretty spot on if you ask me.

SheltonChoked
01-24-2020, 11:42 AM
ok. I hear ya.

Yeah and he's slacking on the QB Recruiting Front as well***

Combined with Leach's shitty record with Transfer QB's and I understand your problems.****

Someone on here said Leach only wins with NFL QB's, now We get one, and you get your panties in a twist about players Transferring out...

Knew we could count on you to shit on bringing in a 3 year power 5 starter. That was the #3 rated QB in the country as a HS SR.

We get it, you don't like Leach. Got a cute derogatory nickname picked out yet?

smootness
01-24-2020, 11:49 AM
Yeah and he's slacking on the QB Recruiting Front as well***

Combined with Leach's shitty record with Transfer QB's and I understand your problems.****

Someone on here said Leach only wins with NFL QB's, now We get one, and you get your panties in a twist about players Transferring out...

Knew we could count on you to shit on bringing in a 3 year power 5 starter. That was the #3 rated QB in the country as a HS SR.

We get it, you don't like Leach. Got a cute derogatory nickname picked out yet?

I genuinely don't even think it's that he doesn't like Leach. I think he just always has to try to somehow be right about everything. So he said we wouldn't hire Leach and that Leach wouldn't work in the SEC, so now he has to try to find something wrong with everything.

bobcat91
01-24-2020, 11:55 AM
TTGDF is not popular with the OP

HancockCountyDog
01-24-2020, 12:16 PM
Also - I think we have entered the "I trust Mullen will have a good RB for us" should now be switched to "I trust Leach will have a good QB for us."

confucius say
01-24-2020, 12:33 PM
Why is it some of our fans can't just sit back and enjoy the complete 180 we've made in the last 3 weeks? We went from complete apathy, not wanting the 2020 season to come, no one wanting to go to the games, calling for Joe to be fired immediately & NOW we've hired a sitting P5 HC who has 139 career wins/is a national treasure and darling/one of the greatest and most proven offensive minds in all of CFB, we have tons of momentum going into 2020 now, hired a solid DC from a P5 school who's got tons of upside, we have lost ONLY 1 signee and Dawgfan77 says it was encouraged, we've got a proven grad transfer QB heavily leaning towards us and OV'ing this weekend who threw for 3,600 yds with 29 TD's as a junior and was rated the #45 NFL prospect overall going into 2019 season, and now the fanbase is completely united (well, most people who aren't hell-bent on trying to spread pessimism) and we're about to sell TONS of season tickets when we previously would have lost tons and we will have a HUGE crowd at the Spring game simply because everyone is so damn excited to see how the Pirate's offense looks with SEC athletes.

All to say, if you can't just be excited and quit trying to spread pessimistic BS when we've done unprecedented things at MSU this month and things are looking up for the program when it looked doomed a month ago, then get help. #SwingYourSword #HailDamnState

I read that whole second sentence without taking a breath. Kept thinking the end was coming, lol. Well said

confucius say
01-24-2020, 12:35 PM
I genuinely don't even think it's that he doesn't like Leach. I think he just always has to try to somehow be right about everything. So he said we wouldn't hire Leach and that Leach wouldn't work in the SEC, so now he has to try to find something wrong with everything.

Wait till leach averages 7-5 and people try to run him off.

ShotgunDawg
01-24-2020, 12:54 PM
What did he say that was wrong??? Next week, maybe even next hour, you will agrees with all or most of what he said. Then reverse course in spring, and bounce back and forth 100 times before this time next year. Again, his lost was pretty spot on if you ask me.

He didn't say anything wrong as much as it was just worst case scenario with every situation

And FWIW, I've never understood why people don't change their mind when new information comes about?

Do I change my opinion? Yes, sometimes I do when new information arises. Seems pretty ignorant to not do such

99jc
01-24-2020, 12:56 PM

He is just pissed because Leach said he hates coffee and never drinks it.

BeardoMSU
01-24-2020, 01:08 PM
He is just pissed because Leach said he hates coffee and never drinks it.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/uRhUNhyvPfz6E/source.gif

basedog
01-24-2020, 01:12 PM
He didn't say anything wrong as much as it was just worst case scenario with every situation

And FWIW, I've never understood why people don't change their mind when new information comes about?

Do I change my opinion? Yes, sometimes I do when new information arises. Seems pretty ignorant to not do such

But I'm all in for Leach. He has a tough job, this isn't the Big 12 nor Pac 12 so comparing his past is great and now it's on to the might SEC West. Like I said, tough league. Just saying.

preachermatt83
01-24-2020, 01:34 PM
If we get Costello it makes us much better this year and will Rogers is our future so we are in very good shape.

Homedawg
01-24-2020, 01:38 PM

You change your opinion when the wind blows. Information be damned.

dawgs
01-24-2020, 01:40 PM
?

Please, this is in no way a negative.

Worst case scenario, we start redshirt freshman Will Rogers next year...which may be our best move even if all those guys stick around.

Yep. And if schrader is mature, he sees this as the best chance he has to being a NFL QB. If he doesn't wanna work and/or gets his feelings hurt over an incoming grad transfer (when he'd still have 2-3 years left as a potential starter after 2020), then he's not mature enough for us to plan on being a part of the future.

Churchill
01-24-2020, 01:45 PM
Don't know how much it matters but Rosie just said on Matt's show if Costello comes he can't participate til the fall.

Really Clark?
01-24-2020, 02:01 PM
Don't know how much it matters but Rosie just said on Matt's show if Costello comes he can't participate til the fall.

They are on a quarter system so he won’t be done at Stanford until April. So he will have to wait until his grad courses start. Summer/Fall

TrapGame
01-24-2020, 02:06 PM

With his skills I doubt it will matter. Leach's offense isn't a quadratic equation.

ShotgunDawg
01-24-2020, 02:14 PM
You change your opinion when the wind blows. Information be damned.

Glad you pay so much attention to my posts

99jc
01-24-2020, 02:14 PM
With his skills I doubt it will matter. Leach's offense isn't a quadratic equation.

Please don't use such big words C34 won't understand it.

Cooterpoot
01-24-2020, 02:15 PM
Anyone not wanting Costello is a fool. We're going to recruit a shit ton of QBs. May the best player win out every year.

preachermatt83
01-24-2020, 02:29 PM
Anyone not wanting Costello is a fool. We're going to recruit a shit ton of QBs. May the best player win out every year.

This

HailStateSZN19
01-24-2020, 02:37 PM

Cooter, how do you feel about WR recruiting going forward? The same level as QB recruiting? I'm hoping that with the level of QB's we're likely to bring in, it creates a domino effect and we pull some very talented WR's and get that position group as a strength.

Already sounds that way with Brevard from Southaven saying the Leach hire has peaked his interest in MSU now.

nashLA
01-24-2020, 02:48 PM
Already sounds that way with Brevard from Southaven saying the Leach hire has peaked his interest in MSU now.

"piqued": stimulate (interest or curiosity). "you have piqued my curiosity about the man"

"peaked": adjective: having a peak. "a peaked cap"

TheLostDawg
01-24-2020, 03:35 PM

Also send a message to bust your butt or go somewhere else.

msstate7
01-24-2020, 05:06 PM

And even if it were, Costello is a Stanford grad, so I'm sure he can learn quickly

TrapGame
01-24-2020, 05:12 PM
And even if it were, Costello is a Stanford grad, so I'm sure he can learn quickly

Maybe with an electrical engineering degree he could have deciphered Joe's WR routes that looked like electrical specs.

dawgday166
01-24-2020, 05:15 PM
I'm just hanging with Mike. I think he probably knows what he's doing, unlike the previous regime.

Coach34
01-24-2020, 07:14 PM
So much ridiculousness in this thread.

I love Leach and he is one of the funniest guys in college football. You can post about potential problems and potholes along the way and not hate someone
I am skeptical of us being very good in 2020. We are not very good at WR and wont be very good on defense
You absolutely try to bring in a top talent at QB- my post in no way said you shouldnt. Just like last year when we were courting Stevens- I told you guys to look for KT to look to transfer. Many of you kept saying no way he would do that. And what did he do? He entered the transfer portal. It didnt work out for him and Joe threw him to the side. Got zero out of him in 2019.

The QB implosion I wrote about was Shrader possibly bailing. Mayden could go juco still and work to get another offer. Who knows what with KT. Leaving us with the QB transfer and a true Freshman thats not ready for SEC play. Will it happen? Who the **** knows. But it is something to watch moving forward. Thats all my post was about.

You bitched when I said KT would look to tranfer- he did.
You bitched about me calling Moorhead- JoVester. He was
You bitch when I post about possible scenarios we could face, Stop being bitches. You have to think ahead on all of this and possible problems.

dawgday166
01-24-2020, 07:25 PM
I think a lot of folks have some strong maroon shades on.

We have an inexperienced team with a lot of youth especially on the D side.
We have an unsettled situation at QB yet.
To top it off, we have a complete coaching turnover which always takes some adjustment.
A work/responsibility culture that needs to be recreated.
And while Leach's offense is somewhat simple, mastering it in game conditions will take some time.
Even BJ Symons said that (Leach's 2nd QB at TT) and he tutored behind Kingsbury.
Gardner Minshew was a pretty traveled QB and stepped into a situation where he was the only one that really had to learn it ... and the culture was already rock solid.

Woohoo ... I think we win 10 to 11 *****

PMDawg
01-24-2020, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of tracking with Coach34 on this one. I think we are a 5 to 7 win team next year. But I'm still excited. We may go 6-6, but we'll break every MSU passing record on the way there!

MrKotter
01-24-2020, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of tracking with Coach34 on this one. I think we are a 5 to 7 win team next year. But I'm still excited. We may go 6-6, but we'll break every MSU passing record on the way there!
Very few have said we're going to be vastly improved regarding wins/losses next year. As usual, 34 has thrown out every scenario possible so he can pull the "I told you so" BS which is beyond tired. The vast majority of post are people excited we have some competent running the program who will put a much better product out than the last guy. I'm sure we'll take our lumps this year but we should see a good example of where we're headed.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-24-2020, 09:01 PM
So 34, let's take your "QB implosion" and say that's the result if we take a grad transfer. And let's say its Costello. Our options are:

A) go into next year with a true So Shrader who doesnt really fit the mold of a Leach QB, go into next year with a true Fr QB that does fit leaches mold, and 2 other QBs that by all accounts suck ass as passers so have no shot either way. In '21 we have this same crew 1 year older, with either Shrader or Roger's beingthe starter (probably Rogers though unless Shrader keeps his head on straight and improves as a passer by quite a bit).

B) we go into next year with a very good proven QB that can do exactly what Leach wants, a true Fr QB that does fit what Leach wants, and nothing else. In '21 we either get another grad transfer, a stud true Fr that can play immediately, or roll with RFr Rogers.

In what world is A) better? B) gives us a better '20 and probably the same starter in '21 as A) does. And again weve got the grad transfer market as a get out of jail free card.

AND, all of this is assuming Shrader transfers. If he stays to fight Rogers for '21 we get a better '20 AND have a better QB room in '21 than we do in '20 with no grad transfer.

I dont get caring about KT or Mayden. Mayden isn't a runner and practice reports say hes innaccurate. KT is a great runner but has shown zero ability to throw the ball, make reads, or even understand the O. KT fits the Leach O as well as Tyson Lee fit *******. He didnt "outduele" Lamar Jackson, Mark McLaurins 3 ints outdueled Jackson. KT was mediocre at best and has done absolutely nothing since to indicate hes a good player or leader. Let KT and Mayden go, they were good prospects but haven't panned out. It happens to 4* QBs all the time.

All QB talk should revolve exclusively around a transfer, Shrader, Rogers, or some future HS recruit.

bluelightstar
01-24-2020, 09:04 PM
Practice reports do not say Mayden is inaccurate. In fact, they said he was the most accurate and the most natural passer. Very curious.

Coach34
01-24-2020, 09:14 PM
Very few have said we're going to be vastly improved regarding wins/losses next year. As usual, 34 has thrown out every scenario possible so he can pull the "I told you so" BS which is beyond tired. The vast majority of post are people excited we have some competent running the program who will put a much better product out than the last guy. I'm sure we'll take our lumps this year but we should see a good example of where we're headed.

Here is where the lie starts. We have plenty of people here talking 8-9 wins next year. The “Easy schedule” mantra has been thrown out. Hell- even a couple of people talking about Bama being in play next year because of Leach. Very few of us are being realistic and talking 6 wins. Most here are saying 8 wins. Nobody is talking about “taking lumps” next year

Mjoelner34
01-24-2020, 09:41 PM
Maybe with an electrical engineering degree he could have deciphered Joe's WR routes that looked like electrical specs.

Here is the diagram of one of Joe's plays with the pre-snap read, 1st in-play read and 2nd in-play read all built in and disguised as an automotive harness so the opposition wouldn't catch on.
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/dr350_images/wiring_diagram_dr350_se_1994_color.png

Todd4State
01-24-2020, 09:43 PM
I'm not sure what next year holds. We could very well win 6. We could win as many as 10 if everything goes right which rarely happens. Leach is going to get everything established this year with his program so yeah we may take some lumps.

We also need to see what kind of transfers we get in as well.

To me, really our season is going to come down to how much the grad and JUCO transfers help us out and also how quickly they help us out. Complete unknown at this point and I don't think the spring game will tell us a lot either since most of the grad transfer won't be here until the summer.

The biggest thing is I think our roster will start to balance out with upperclassmen around 2021 or so. Dan sucking at roster management has caused us problems the past few years and that's why we're having to plug so many holes.

Todd4State
01-24-2020, 09:46 PM
Practice reports do not say Mayden is inaccurate. In fact, they said he was the most accurate and the most natural passer. Very curious.

I think he's accurate on short passes but not so much on deeper throws. Based on my limited observation of him.

maroonmania
01-24-2020, 10:03 PM

KT has NO chance in this offense as a QB. We all know it, so whatever he decides to do is fine with me but I fully expect him to leave. Believe he graduates in May anyway. This offense is all about passing decisions and passing accuracy. Those are just not things KT does well. He needs a QB run heavy, one read offense more in line with what Mullen runs.

Todd4State
01-24-2020, 10:19 PM
KT has NO chance in this offense as a QB. We all know it, so whatever he decides to do is fine with me but I fully expect him to leave. Believe he graduates in May anyway. This offense is all about passing decisions and passing accuracy. Those are just not things KT does well. He needs a QB run heavy, one read offense more in line with what Mullen runs.

He should go to Tulane.

BeardoMSU
01-24-2020, 11:19 PM
Here is where the lie starts. We have plenty of people here talking 8-9 wins next year. The “Easy schedule” mantra has been thrown out. Hell- even a couple of people talking about Bama being in play next year because of Leach. Very few of us are being realistic and talking 6 wins. Most here are saying 8 wins. Nobody is talking about “taking lumps” next year

To be fair, it's just a few posters calling their shots in regards to 8-9+ wins in '20.....the vast majority of peeps are just excited for what the future holds and assume we'll be be better because of 1) we've got Leach, and 2) we've booted Joe.

msstate7
01-24-2020, 11:35 PM
When is Costello expected to be here for visit?

HailStateSZN19
01-24-2020, 11:39 PM

He got here around 6:00 earlier this evening I believe. That’s when he was expected to get into town.

Todd4State
01-25-2020, 01:15 AM

He's here now. Hopefully all goes well.

msudawg1200
01-25-2020, 08:50 AM
Does Costello have anymore visits planned, or can we expect a decision this weekend?

MrKotter
01-25-2020, 09:00 AM

Again, you're singling out a select few when the vast majority is being more realistic

Turfdawg67
01-25-2020, 09:40 AM
Again, you're singling out a select few when the vast majority is being more realistic

That's what he does. Seems like the majority on this thread are realist, but he'll simply ignore us because of a select few that fit his agenda.

preachermatt83
01-25-2020, 10:00 AM

I think he moves to receiver.

Tbonewannabe
01-25-2020, 10:44 AM
Here is where the lie starts. We have plenty of people here talking 8-9 wins next year. The ?Easy schedule? mantra has been thrown out. Hell- even a couple of people talking about Bama being in play next year because of Leach. Very few of us are being realistic and talking 6 wins. Most here are saying 8 wins. Nobody is talking about ?taking lumps? next year

I personally never expect to steal one like AU or A&M. I expect 6 wins but wouldn't be surprised at 5,7, or 8. I would be very surprised with 9 or more. There is always a chance that the personnel and the SEC being tough causes a transition year to be bumpy. No one knows how our WRs will take to the Air Raid so it is a total wild card.

maroonmania
01-25-2020, 11:34 AM
Yep. And if schrader is mature, he sees this as the best chance he has to being a NFL QB. If he doesn't wanna work and/or gets his feelings hurt over an incoming grad transfer (when he'd still have 2-3 years left as a potential starter after 2020), then he's not mature enough for us to plan on being a part of the future.

I have no good idea if Shrader can succeed in this offense or not but I believe if he is willing to work on his passing motion he can. But he, Mayden and Rogers get all the reps this Spring if we get Costello because Costello wouldn't even get here until the Summer. Spring ball should do plenty to show Leach and Shrader if this is going to work for him. With Mayden I have no clue because I haven't seen him play enough to form my own opinion.

Dawgology
01-25-2020, 11:59 AM
Here is where the lie starts. We have plenty of people here talking 8-9 wins next year. The ?Easy schedule? mantra has been thrown out. Hell- even a couple of people talking about Bama being in play next year because of Leach. Very few of us are being realistic and talking 6 wins. Most here are saying 8 wins. Nobody is talking about ?taking lumps? next year

I don't know, coach. I've seen more than a few say Leach should get us back to a bowl this year and that should be the goal. You have the usual handful talking SEC championship next year but let them live their dream. The majority on here are realists and realize it will take a year to get where we need to be with Leach's offense. I feel 8 wins would be our absolute ceiling next year and Leach would be performing way beyond what should be expected with the current roster. I think 7 wins is more probable and that 6 wins would be our floor next season.

DownwardDawg
01-25-2020, 12:06 PM
I don't know, coach. I've seen more than a few say Leach should get us back to a bowl this year and that should be the goal. You have the usual handful talking SEC championship next year but let them live their dream. The majority on here are realists and realize it will take a year to get where we need to be with Leach's offense. I feel 8 wins would be our absolute ceiling next year and Leach would be performing way beyond what should be expected with the current roster. I think 7 wins is more probable and that 6 wins would be our floor next season.

I agree. I had picked 5-7 before the coaching change. I’m now thinking 7-5.

dawgday166
01-25-2020, 12:11 PM
I think 7-5 but will also add I think we have a WTF loss ... but also a WTF win (upset).

99jc
01-25-2020, 02:20 PM
I picked 8-9 wins with the bowl game and I'm sticking to it. 17 the negative Nancy's.

Joebob
01-25-2020, 03:03 PM
Personally, I think our wide receivers are our Achilles heel and could cause our lead-the-nation-in-passing plans to implode. There?s still time to find some that can perform in this offense, bit at this point I?m not excited about our prospects.

dawgday166
01-25-2020, 03:05 PM
Personally, I think our wide receivers are our Achilles heel and could cause our lead-the-nation-in-passing plans to implode. There?s still time to find some that can perform in this offense, bit at this point I?m not excited about our prospects.

I think they'll get a lot better. Simplified offense from a WR standpoint and Leach will train the hell out them on catching the football.

Todd4State
01-25-2020, 03:07 PM

I'm going to be very interested to see how they develop. I'm hopeful that improved S&C, more opportunities to go around, and a scheme with shorter and more high percentage routes yields surprising results.

dawgday166
01-25-2020, 03:09 PM
I'm going to be very interested to see how they develop. I'm hopeful that improved S&C, more opportunities to go around, and a scheme with shorter and more high percentage routes yields surprising results.

It's not just S&C. It's also how he trains them to where catching the ball becomes 2nd nature to them. Maybe that's the C part of S&C but I kind consider it separate.

maroonmania
01-25-2020, 03:14 PM

Who really cares if a few fans want to believe we could win 8-9 games. Whatever we do this fall is almost assuredly better than what we would have done with Moorhead. At least I don't think Leach will put a team out there that is Charmin soft.

Coach34
01-25-2020, 10:14 PM
Who really cares if a few fans want to believe we could win 8-9 games. Whatever we do this fall is almost assuredly better than what we would have done with Moorhead. At least I don't think Leach will put a team out there that is Charmin soft.

100% agree we are better of than we were with JoVester

dawgoneyall
01-26-2020, 09:19 AM

Thought Hemingway died.

dawgoneyall
01-26-2020, 09:22 AM

Don't know....he didn't get in Stanford's graduate program.

Maybe we can get him in bonehead chemistry.

dawgoneyall
01-26-2020, 09:23 AM
Here is the diagram of one of Joe's plays with the pre-snap read, 1st in-play read and 2nd in-play read all built in and disguised as an automotive harness so the opposition wouldn't catch on.
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/dr350_images/wiring_diagram_dr350_se_1994_color.png

And in the end....it was a bad fuse.

dawgday166
01-26-2020, 10:44 AM
And in the end....it was a bad fuse.

And it caused the car to ignite and burn up ****

Jarius
01-26-2020, 11:24 AM
At the end of the day I expect us to go 7-5 or 8-4 in year one. I think we have the brightest offensive mind in football with a legit draft pick at quarterback (assuming Costello commits). We have a unique DC that I expect to make us formidable this year. Extremely favorable sec schedule. The receivers are the biggest question but Mike has been able to make it worth with much less talented receivers than we have so I expect us to be much better at that spot.

HancockCountyDog
01-26-2020, 11:30 AM
We should hear something positive in the next few hours.

Huntsville Dawg
01-26-2020, 11:46 AM
I'm okay with our qb situation either way. I really want a few stud wr's allot more than another qb, although if we can get an amazing qb that's good too.

HailStateSZN19
01-26-2020, 12:06 PM
We should hear something positive in the next few hours.

Costello expected to put something out pretty soon?

OLJWales
01-26-2020, 12:24 PM
Don't know....he didn't get in Stanford's graduate program.

Maybe we can get him in bonehead chemistry.

We've got a great online course for that I hear.

PMDawg
01-26-2020, 02:38 PM
At the end of the day I expect us to go 7-5 or 8-4 in year one. I think we have the brightest offensive mind in football with a legit draft pick at quarterback (assuming Costello commits). We have a unique DC that I expect to make us formidable this year. Extremely favorable sec schedule. The receivers are the biggest question but Mike has been able to make it worth with much less talented receivers than we have so I expect us to be much better at that spot.

Expect? That's a bit strong. If EVERYTHING goes right, 8 max. Expect 6 or so, and and anything better is gravy.

Our defense sucked this year. And we lost our best player at every level. Ouch.

Jarius
01-26-2020, 03:01 PM
Expect? That's a bit strong. If EVERYTHING goes right, 8 max. Expect 6 or so, and and anything better is gravy.

Our defense sucked this year. And we lost our best player at every level. Ouch.

No, I expect us to go 7-5 or 8-4. We would have went 8-4 this year with any competent coaching staff in the country. We are losing very few people on defense that played a great deal of snaps last year. Dantzler was hurt a lot or just decided not to play in key games. Willie did not play very much at all. Autry did not play much at all. The biggest loss is certainly Rivers, but that position continually got better throughout the year as players grew up. We are bringing a lot back on the DL and we also have some big time juco players coming in. The defense should be a little bit better. We have recruited really well on that side of the ball especially and return a good bit of young guys that got a ton of reps and had some really big time guys redshirt. We will 100% be better offensively by a large margin. I expect a team basically as talented as last year but with much better offensive coaching and much more discipline to go along with a very favorable schedule. We can go 8-4 and not beat anyone worth a crap. We could also go 6-6 if we have some bad luck, but that should be the floor based on Leach's entire career. He's only had 2 seasons worse than 6-6 and those were at the worst P5 school in the country within his first 3 years on the job. He's inheriting a team that has consensus top 25 talent that plays a schedule similar to Washington state's except for about 3 games. He's also bringing in a draft pick at qb and returning the SEC's leading rusher. 6 wins is the floor for Mike Leach teams with anywhere near that type of talent.

Cooterpoot
01-26-2020, 03:28 PM
At no point in his career, has Leach had worse WR talent than the ones that played for us last year. Heath and Tulu might help, but I don't think some of you realize how truly bad our WR talent has been. We're thin on defense in some spots too.

dawgday166
01-26-2020, 03:30 PM
At no point in his career, has Leach had worse WR talent than the ones that played for us last year. Heath and Tulu might help, but I don't think some of you realize how truly bad our WR talent has been. We're thin on defense in some spots too.

Some of that might be cause he coached them to become good receivers. Not saying we have great receivers but Guidry had talent. If he would've/could've just used it.

Bothrops
01-26-2020, 03:38 PM
Remember our offense got worse and worse as the season progressed last year.

Todd4State
01-26-2020, 03:41 PM
No, I expect us to go 7-5 or 8-4. We would have went 8-4 this year with any competent coaching staff in the country. We are losing very few people on defense that played a great deal of snaps last year. Dantzler was hurt a lot or just decided not to play in key games. Willie did not play very much at all. Autry did not play much at all. The biggest loss is certainly Rivers, but that position continually got better throughout the year as players grew up. We are bringing a lot back on the DL and we also have some big time juco players coming in. The defense should be a little bit better. We have recruited really well on that side of the ball especially and return a good bit of young guys that got a ton of reps and had some really big time guys redshirt. We will 100% be better offensively by a large margin. I expect a team basically as talented as last year but with much better offensive coaching and much more discipline to go along with a very favorable schedule. We can go 8-4 and not beat anyone worth a crap. We could also go 6-6 if we have some bad luck, but that should be the floor based on Leach's entire career. He's only had 2 seasons worse than 6-6 and those were at the worst P5 school in the country within his first 3 years on the job. He's inheriting a team that has consensus top 25 talent that plays a schedule similar to Washington state's except for about 3 games. He's also bringing in a draft pick at qb and returning the SEC's leading rusher. 6 wins is the floor for Mike Leach teams with anywhere near that type of talent.

I agree with all of this.

Todd4State
01-26-2020, 03:43 PM
Remember our offense got worse and worse as the season progressed last year.

If I recall we bottomed out against LSU and Moorhead threatened to open up the QB competition and then our offense improved other than getting shut out against Alabama. And then we reverted back to pre-Texas A&M in the Outback Bowl.

Todd4State
01-26-2020, 03:44 PM

Other than Crabtree and Welker it's not like he has exactly been blessed with Rice and Moss throughout his career. And not sure about Crabtree but Welker was definitely not highly recruited.

Jarius
01-26-2020, 03:54 PM

If Mike thought that were true he would be in the transfer portal bringing in wide receivers and he is not. He actually complimented our returning wide receivers the other day and at the same time did not compliment our returning quarterbacks (he did not dig them but certainly skipped over the opportunity to praise them). A lot of our problems on offense stemmed from our hard headed head coach IMO.

Bothrops
01-26-2020, 03:55 PM
Other than Crabtree and Welker it's not like he has exactly been blessed with Rice and Moss throughout his career. And not sure about Crabtree but Welker was definitely not highly recruited.

Welker was a bad ass.

PMDawg
01-26-2020, 04:03 PM

Oh I believe you expect it. I just know you're wrong 99% of the time. Just trying to help you out.

Jarius
01-26-2020, 04:07 PM
Oh I believe you expect it. I just know you're wrong 99% of the time. Just trying to help you out.

Me being wrong 99% of the time seems pretty unlikely. I will make a 1000 dollar bet with you that we go 7-5 or better this year though. You can put your money where your mouth is if you would like.

PMDawg
01-26-2020, 04:48 PM
Me being wrong 99% of the time seems pretty unlikely. I will make a 1000 dollar bet with you that we go 7-5 or better this year though. You can put your money where your mouth is if you would like.

I'm not going to root against us, but nice try. You were pumping Moorhead and the 2019 squad too.

Jarius
01-26-2020, 05:00 PM
I'm not going to root against us, but nice try. You were pumping Moorhead and the 2019 squad too.

I mean if I'm wrong 99 % of the time it is free money. Who you root for or against has zero impact on the game. I am right sometimes and I am wrong sometimes. I did not belittle you and thought we were having a healthy dialogue and then you went and attacked me for no reason. I am no less credible than anyone else on here, including you. As a matter of fact I was the very first person on here to tell people that Willie Gay would not be back with our team next year. I'm also wrong on predictions sometimes. If you are so confident that we will not be any good next year then my bet stands. I will let you in on a little secret though. You and coach34 are going to get better odds at a casino than betting me with an o/u of 6.5 though. Have a good day.

mparkerfd20
01-27-2020, 08:26 AM
Any news on the visit since it's been quiet as a mouse?

Ari Gold
01-27-2020, 09:33 AM
If getting a possible big time college QB helps us win more games this year I’m all for it
One of the QBs was / is prob going to transfer with or without a grad transfer anyway .. That’s the state of the game now with QBs ...
If there is one position I am not worried about going forward with CML it’s the QB position.

So look for the starting signal caller next year to be transfer... either Costello or Brice ...
If Brice visits and he wants to come here will be interesting to see what happens if he fits the mold that CML wants and looks for.. With Brice having 2 years left to play

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-27-2020, 09:49 AM
If we get Brice, I'd think Roger's would stay (and probably be the starter his RSo year) but the others would leave. I doubt it would hurt us in HS QB recruiting at all

Johnson85
01-27-2020, 10:04 AM
Some of that might be cause he coached them to become good receivers. Not saying we have great receivers but Guidry had talent. If he would've/could've just used it.

I don't think there's a chance Guidry would have responded to Leach's coaching style.

I think the best hope is that some guys that lack athleticism get helped out by the constant pick routes against man and by the fact that finding open space against a zone doesn't require a ton of athleticism.

Then guys like Mitchell who have shown some promise but are raw will all the sudden get lots more reps everyday in practice against live defense.

I don't know if that's going to help us against elite SEC defenses. But I am hoping it is enough to allow us to move the ball the other 8 or 9 games of the year. Then it's just a question of how our defense is.

Ari Gold
01-27-2020, 10:10 AM
If we get Brice, I'd think Roger's would stay (and probably be the starter his RSo year) but the others would leave. I doubt it would hurt us in HS QB recruiting at all

Rogers will have a lot of competition for that job.. Not saying he isn’t the future but there are going to be some big time guys looking to come here with CML..
and let’s not close the book on Schrader just yet. Let’s see how he does this spring...and if he grows up

Jarius
01-27-2020, 12:03 PM
I don't think there's a chance Guidry would have responded to Leach's coaching style.

I think the best hope is that some guys that lack athleticism get helped out by the constant pick routes against man and by the fact that finding open space against a zone doesn't require a ton of athleticism.

Then guys like Mitchell who have shown some promise but are raw will all the sudden get lots more reps everyday in practice against live defense.

I don't know if that's going to help us against elite SEC defenses. But I am hoping it is enough to allow us to move the ball the other 8 or 9 games of the year. Then it's just a question of how our defense is.

Never know how someone will respond to coaching. Leach also uses many different ways of coaching different types of people. He does not have a one size fits all approach.

SheltonChoked
01-27-2020, 01:03 PM

Cite?

Based on recruiting rankings, Leach has not ever had top WR talent.

Crabtree was a slightly lower ranked Fred Ross.

Welker was a walkon at TTU. He got a scholarship after signing day because someone flipped.

Most of the Leach WR's were ranked in the below Cameron Gardner.

2019 WSU
Esop Winston Was rated an 0.8458 Caught 85 passes for 970 yards
Brandon Arconado had no ranking, WSU beat out abilene Christian for him. caught 78 passes for 1100 yards
Dezmon Patton Was rated an 0.8375 Caught 58 passes for 762 yards
Renard Bell Was rated an 0.8437 Caught 54 passes for 579 yards
Travel Harris Was rated an 0.8005 Caught 47 passes for 536 yards
Davontavean Martin Was rated an 0.8080 Caught 43 passes for 564 yards
Rodrick Fisher Was rated an 0.8947 Caught 19 passes for 265 yards

MSU's current WR's

O Mitchell Rated 0.8366
A Williams Rated 0.8529
Gardner Rated 0.8338
Payton Rated 0.8785
Torbor Rated 0.8710
Pruitt Rated 0.8668
Heath Rated 0.8913
Griffin Rated 0.9085
Ducking Rated 0.8627
Walley Rated 0.8702

Seems like LAST YEAR Leach had worse WR talent than he does now at MSU...

mparkerfd20
01-27-2020, 01:50 PM
Still crickets on the Costello visit. I'm assuming we arent getting him at this point since no one will say anything at all.

Dogbone
01-27-2020, 01:55 PM
Still crickets on the Costello visit. I'm assuming we arent getting him at this point since no one will say anything at all.

I'm hoping no news is good news!

Ari Gold
01-27-2020, 01:57 PM

It’s better than 50/50 we get him...

Cooterpoot
01-27-2020, 02:15 PM
Cite?

Welker was a walkon at TTU. He got a scholarship after signing day because someone flipped.

2019 WSU
Brandon Arconado had no ranking, WSU beat out abilene Christian for him. caught 78 passes for 1100 yards

MSU's current WR's

O Mitchell Rated 0.8366
A Williams Rated 0.8529
Gardner Rated 0.8338
Payton Rated 0.8785
Torbor Rated 0.8710
Pruitt Rated 0.8668
Heath Rated 0.8913
Griffin Rated 0.9085
Ducking Rated 0.8627
Walley Rated 0.8702

Who cares about rankings? We've seen them play. Jesus, we had a D2 WR Corp last year. Show me our Welker and Crabtree. We've got two WRs coming in that play year one in all likelihood. But our returning guys are bad. Really bad.

smootness
01-27-2020, 02:19 PM
Who cares about rankings? We've seen them play. Jesus, we had a D2 WR Corp last year. Show me our Welker and Crabtree. We've got two WRs coming in that play year one in all likelihood. But our returning guys are bad. Really bad.

I don't think they're as bad as the offense and QB play made them look.

We don't have a great collection of WRs right now, but WRs who can absolutely play in Leach's system and catch passes? Yes.

HailStateSZN19
01-27-2020, 02:39 PM
It’s better than 50/50 we get him...

Ari, any idea on a time line we can expect an announcement? Or is he planning on taking any other OV's before deciding? We have an in-home with him some time this week I believe. Maybe he commits before then or shortly after that in-home.

Cooterpoot
01-27-2020, 02:39 PM
I don't think they're as bad as the offense and QB play made them look.

We don't have a great collection of WRs right now, but WRs who can absolutely play in Leach's system and catch passes? Yes.

They're bad. Some were bad under three different QBs and two coaching staffs.
Mike Leach recruits better WRs. He knows what he likes and gets them. He'll get better players here than other places he's been, but we have the worst WRs returning of any SEC school as far as experienced WRs go.

Johnson85
01-27-2020, 02:51 PM
Cite?

2019 WSU

MSU's current WR's

O Mitchell Rated 0.8366
A Williams Rated 0.8529
Gardner Rated 0.8338
Payton Rated 0.8785
Torbor Rated 0.8710
Pruitt Rated 0.8668
Heath Rated 0.8913
Griffin Rated 0.9085
Ducking Rated 0.8627
Walley Rated 0.8702

You are ignoring the fact that Leach recruited those "untalented" and poorly ranked WRs. I would not be concerned about our WRs recruiting ranking if Leach had identified them and recruited them. But just because he can be productive with some poorly ranked WRs doesn't mean he can make any poorly ranked WR productive.

I think he's going to help our WRs, but the talent may just not be there.

BrunswickDawg
01-27-2020, 03:24 PM
Mike Leach recruits better WRs. He knows what he likes and gets them. He'll get better players here than other places he's been, but we have the worst WRs returning of any SEC school as far as experienced WRs go.

Just for the record - Mitchell is the only WR on the roster in 2020 who falls in the category you defined (3 QBs and 2 staffs).
I agree that our production has sucked and we have almost no experience returning. I think our WR corps for 2020 is so young or new to MSU that we just don't know anything about them right now. We will have 2 Seniors (Mitchell and Payton), 1 Junior (Williams), 4 Sophomores (Gardner being the only one who caught a pass), a couple of JUCOS and a a couple of true Freshman. Then we have a whole bunch of TE's who are either RSF or Sophomores. That means we really only have 2 WR with anything close to a track record - Mitchell (who has improved every year) and Williams to base anything off of.

We could really suck - or it will become even more apparent that Moorhead was totally clueless when Mitchell, Payton, Williams, & Gardner all have 60 catches for 800 yards each

Cooterpoot
01-27-2020, 04:05 PM
Just for the record - Mitchell is the only WR on the roster in 2020 who falls in the category you defined (3 QBs and 2 staffs).
I agree that our production has sucked and we have almost no experience returning. I think our WR corps for 2020 is so young or new to MSU that we just don't know anything about them right now. We will have 2 Seniors (Mitchell and Payton), 1 Junior (Williams), 4 Sophomores (Gardner being the only one who caught a pass), a couple of JUCOS and a a couple of true Freshman. Then we have a whole bunch of TE's who are either RSF or Sophomores. That means we really only have 2 WR with anything close to a track record - Mitchell (who has improved every year) and Williams to base anything off of.

We could really suck - or it will become even more apparent that Moorhead was totally clueless when Mitchell, Payton, Williams, & Gardner all have 60 catches for 800 yards each

You can't teach good hands just like you can't teach QB accuracy. There's not one quality WR returning this year. Not one. We need Heath to take over and Tulu to get touches. Our WRs are criminally slow minus Peyton.
And Peyton didn't catch many balls his last year of Juco. You guys can argue a lot of things, but quality WR talent on our roster isn't one of them. We need a transfer to go with Heath really. Take off the maroon glasses and you'll see. With that said, we still win 6 games next year.

Cooterpoot
01-27-2020, 04:08 PM
You are ignoring the fact that Leach recruited those "untalented" and poorly ranked WRs. I would not be concerned about our WRs recruiting ranking if Leach had identified them and recruited them. But just because he can be productive with some poorly ranked WRs doesn't mean he can make any poorly ranked WR productive.

He recruited "his WRs". He didn't recruit guys that were slow as hell and couldn't a cold. How many games did we lose Moorhead's first year on dropped passes alone? With a damn good WR coach. Cost us at least two games.
That's not coaching. That's bad WR play.

smootness
01-27-2020, 04:12 PM

We will have WRs put up numbers. Period. It's what Leach's offense does. How good those WR actually are will be harder to determine, but it also won't matter quite as much. The offense will put up passing numbers.

smootness
01-27-2020, 04:14 PM
How many games did we lose Moorhead's first year on dropped passes alone? With a damn good WR coach. Cost us at least two games.

And which of those WRs are still here?

SheltonChoked
01-27-2020, 04:33 PM

I'm not ignoring it. I asking what the basis is of " Leach has never has as bad a WR as we have now" when he's never had a team full of "high ranked" WR.

Do our WR's fit his system? Will not know until the fall. But based on who he had at WSU and who he had at TTU (which is too long ago for good recruiting rankings)

But he did steal a guy from Abilene Christian with no other offers and had him catch more passes last year than any MSU receiver not named Fred Ross for more yards than any MSU receiver ever.

2012 WSU
Marks 0.9358
Wilson 0.8333
Meyers 0.7853
D Williams 0.8248
Ratliff 0.8622
K Williams 0.8368
Simone 0.8685
Bartolone 0.7667

2 of these guys would be on our top 10 year catches list, neither of them the Top rated guy.

So again, Cite?

SheltonChoked
01-27-2020, 04:43 PM

The fact they played under 3 different QB's and 3 different WR coaches, with running based systems did not help.

Read about what Leach does to have them learn to catch and run. (i.e., the beach and the tennis ball machine)

Also, it take reps to get better. Do you think Dan's or joes read option QB or RPO systems let the WR catch passes on every play in practice? 50% of plays?

Leach has never gotten top end WR's (hard to recruit to Pullman and Lubbock), but his guys have put up big numbers.

Ari Gold
01-27-2020, 04:45 PM
Ari, any idea on a time line we can expect an announcement? Or is he planning on taking any other OV's before deciding? We have an in-home with him some time this week I believe. Maybe he commits before then or shortly after that in-home.

I Would guess within the next week or so.

Cooterpoot
01-27-2020, 04:55 PM
The fact they played under 3 different QB's and 3 different WR coaches, with running based systems did not help.

Read about what Leach does to have them learn to catch and run. (i.e., the beach and the tennis ball machine)

Also, it take reps to get better. Do you think Dan's or joes read option QB or RPO systems let the WR catch passes on every play in practice? 50% of plays?

Leach has never gotten top end WR's (hard to recruit to Pullman and Lubbock), but his guys have put up big numbers.

Those low end guys are playing in the NFL. That tells me Leach knows how to recruit WRs. He didn't sign a bunch of bad players that can't catch. Those guys were undervalued because they're successful in the NFL too. Not just Leach's system. You can't make bad players good. Not even the best coaches do that. Our receivers will get more catches etc. but they'll still drop more too. They'll still be slow. They won't be NFL guys. Heath and guys we haven't seen yet will be our best. Mitchell will still disappear. Williams will still be too slow. These guys have been in a college program for a few years. They are who they are.

smootness
01-27-2020, 04:55 PM

Didn't he just visit this past weekend?

I wouldn't assume anything. It's perfectly reasonable to expect someone in that position to at least go home and think/talk it over before making a firm decision.

SheltonChoked
01-27-2020, 04:59 PM
You can't teach good hands just like you can't teach QB accuracy. There's not one quality WR returning this year. Not one. We need Heath to take over and Tulu to get touches. Our WRs are criminally slow minus Peyton.
And Peyton didn't catch many balls his last year of Juco. You guys can argue a lot of things, but quality WR talent on our roster isn't one of them. We need a transfer to go with Heath really. Take off the maroon glasses and you'll see. With that said, we still win 6 games next year.

BULLSHIT.

Catching is a skill. You can get better at it with practice. Yes some are naturally better than others, but it can be taught.

Jerry Rice caught bricks thrown from his dad, a bricklayer, as a kid.

ODB and Larry Fitzgerald used Tennis balls

Leach uses Tennis balls.

And when they finish sprinting, they move to Leach's tennis-ball bazookas. A year of catching tiny fuzzy balls fired at their chests at 60 m.p.h. has turned many young men who got to Texas Tech with hands of stone into glue-fingered receivers.
https://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/magazine/coach-leach-goes-deep-very-deep.html

SheltonChoked
01-27-2020, 05:06 PM
Those low end guys are playing in the NFL. That tells me Leach knows how to recruit WRs. He didn't sign a bunch of bad players that can't catch. Those guys were undervalued because they're successful in the NFL too. Not just Leach's system. You can't make bad players good. Not even the best coaches do that. Our receivers will get more catches etc. but they'll still drop more too. They'll still be slow. They won't be NFL guys. Heath and guys we haven't seen yet will be our best. Mitchell will still disappear. Williams will still be too slow. These guys have been in a college program for a few years. They are who they are.

Or maybe he recruits speed and teaches them how to catch.

At least that's what he says he does...

It's apparent to me you never watched TTU, WSU or any other Leach team play.

Leach uses at least an 8 man WR rotation. And he plans to throw the ball to all 5 skill positions equally each game.

So we will see all of those guys getting career numbers in catches and yards. Period.

Johnson85
01-27-2020, 06:19 PM
He recruited "his WRs". He didn't recruit guys that were slow as hell and couldn't a cold. How many games did we lose Moorhead's first year on dropped passes alone? With a damn good WR coach. Cost us at least two games.

If he recruited guys that were fast and could catch, they would have been ranked higher. It's not like it's particularly hard to see if a guy can run fast or catch a ball thrown to him. I suspect to most people other than leach, the guys he recruited looked indistinguishable from the guys on our team coming out of high school.

dawgday166
01-27-2020, 06:29 PM
BULLSHIT.

Catching is a skill. You can get better at it with practice. Yes some are naturally better than others, but it can be taught.

Jerry Rice caught bricks thrown from his dad, a bricklayer, as a kid.

ODB and Larry Fitzgerald used Tennis balls

Leach uses Tennis balls.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/magazine/coach-leach-goes-deep-very-deep.html

Or maybe he recruits speed and teaches them how to catch.

At least that's what he says he does...

It's apparent to me you never watched TTU, WSU or any other Leach team play.

Leach uses at least an 8 man WR rotation. And he plans to throw the ball to all 5 skill positions equally each game.

So we will see all of those guys getting career numbers in catches and yards. Period.

I agree with most of what you said here. I think Leach will coach them up, but a couple or maybe more could be processed perhaps. But what's left will be coached up better than they were. Will they turn into LSU or Bama receiver ... most likely not.

I mean hell ... Steve Spurrier Jr. is one of their coaches so you know they gonna get better ... right ****

dawgs
01-27-2020, 06:41 PM

I disagree that coaches don't matter. It's not all development and it's not all inherent talent either. It's a combo of both. Some guys have more raw talent to succeed in any system and some need the right coach and system to highlight their abilities. I'd always take the talent if given my druthers because talent + coaching is when you turn into a natty caliber program, but just cause a 3* guy turns into a NFL 1st round pick doesn't mean the recruiting rankings missed the guy, it's that the right system and coach maximized his abilities and put him on the NFL map. Some guys also have late growth spurts/physical development that helps too.

Jarius
01-27-2020, 08:33 PM

Leach specifically says in his book that he can take wide receivers and teach them how to catch if they are willing to work. Says he can't take a non accurate qb and teach him how To be accurate. Can improve accuracy slightly but not a lot. If he were worried about our receivers he would be loading up on jucos or grad transfers at that spot.

mparkerfd20
01-27-2020, 08:37 PM
Didn't he just visit this past weekend?

I wouldn't assume anything. It's perfectly reasonable to expect someone in that position to at least go home and think/talk it over before making a firm decision.

That's fair, but until Rosebowl's article earlier there had been no info on if it went well or anything.

dawgday166
01-27-2020, 08:39 PM
That's fair, but until Rosebowl's article earlier there had been no info on if it went well or anything.

It went well per Rosie and others. Leaving Palo Alto for Starkville is like night/day difference. It's just one year tho and probably under as good a QB developer as there is in FBS.

Spiderman
01-27-2020, 11:06 PM
It?s better than 50/50 we get him...

I'd say 90/10. ( Little Birdie)

Spiderman
01-27-2020, 11:08 PM

Leach say he can. And speed wise you are forgetting Pruitt and Torbor, who RS'd last year.

Tbonewannabe
01-28-2020, 07:44 AM
It went well per Rosie and others. Leaving Palo Alto for Starkville is like night/day difference. It's just one year tho and probably under as good a QB developer as there is in FBS.

But you are also talking about living in Starkville for 6 months, not really a year. It isn't like he is deciding where to live for 4 or 5 years like incoming freshmen. I could live anywhere in the US if it gave me a great chance at the NFL. Also, what will he truly be missing out on while trying to be a SEC QB? Starkville has bars and restaurants just like anywhere else. It isn't like he requires a Target or mall to be a SEC QB. Our athletic facilities might be better than Stanford's facilities also.

Johnson85
01-28-2020, 09:35 AM
But you are also talking about living in Starkville for 6 months, not really a year. It isn't like he is deciding where to live for 4 or 5 years like incoming freshmen. I could live anywhere in the US if it gave me a great chance at the NFL. Also, what will he truly be missing out on while trying to be a SEC QB? Starkville has bars and restaurants just like anywhere else. It isn't like he requires a Target or mall to be a SEC QB. Our athletic facilities might be better than Stanford's facilities also.

Plus you are talking about what he is missing out on for roughly one night a week I'm guessing. Maybe more during the summer I guess. But generally, I don't think college football players get to go to the bar much during the week anymore. The team probably wasn't very disciplined when I was in school and I can only think of one guy that actually played that was a regular at the bars on Thursday night. Other than that, they pretty much got Saturday night, and every other day was pretty much consumed between class, workouts, study hall, and film session.

smootness
01-28-2020, 09:45 AM

You know dawgday166 isn't Costello himself, right?

dawgday166
01-28-2020, 10:50 AM

Are you sure? ****

dawgday166
01-28-2020, 10:52 AM

I see your points. I think it has swayed me to become the next QB at MSU ****

Seriously tho .. you're right but no telling what is going thru the "real" Costello's mind.

HailStateSZN19
01-28-2020, 11:50 AM
I'd say 90/10. ( Little Birdie)

Still leaning 90/10 even with him visiting Washington today?

Tbonewannabe
01-28-2020, 12:32 PM
I see your points. I think it has swayed me to become the next QB at MSU ****

Seriously tho .. you're right but no telling what is going thru the "real" Costello's mind.

True, there could be other factors in play. Never can tell if there is a girlfriend or family that wants to see him play and can't if he goes to MSU. I lived in McComb MS for almost a year and didn't enjoy it. If someone promised me a Million for living there for a year, I could do it. However, if I had the same chance at the Million but lived in Nashville then I am probably choosing Nashville.

He is now visiting Washington so who knows if he prefers to stay on the West Coast or in the Pac 12.

Tbonewannabe
01-28-2020, 12:34 PM

I just figured it out.*** I thought it was odd that he joined in 2016 and had over 6k posts.

dawgday166
01-28-2020, 12:39 PM
I just figured it out.*** I thought it was odd that he joined in 2016 and had over 6k posts.

I'm clairvoyant and foresaw my future unfolding in this manner ... so I joined back in HS to assess the nuttiness of the various fanbases ****

This Shotgun guy ... he making me lean MSU's way. Gotta even out the competition in FBS ****

Spiderman
01-28-2020, 04:07 PM
Still leaning 90/10 even with him visiting Washington today?

I'm not leaning one way or the other. I'm going by a solid statement from a staff member. I'd have to ask him.