PDA

View Full Version : A few football thoughts...

War Machine Dawg
01-23-2020, 02:05 AM
Evening, peeps. Looks like our coaching staff is nearly complete. Had some thoughts floating around and thought I'd share. As always, it's my opinion and you're free to agree or disagree.

1. It's hard to not be excited about Leach. As I've said before, I'm a little bit concerned about the fit, but the guy is a helluva coach. We're going to be fun to watch for a few years no matter what.

2. We've made some solid upgrades on the offensive staff. I've got no real problem with Leach bringing most of his guys from Wazzu with him. They've worked together for years, know the system and how to teach it. I'll trust him implicitly with hires on that side of the ball.

3. I was a bit surprised we went for Arnett. Seemed like Newberry was a done deal over the weekend. I was really excited about Newberry. But Arnett is about the same caliber of hire, so I'd call it a wash. I was also surprised we're paying Arnett nearly $1M. That may be the going rate, but if we weren't paying Shoop that much, I'm a little puzzled we'd pay a guy who's only been a DC 2 years so much. I know that's kinda nitpicky, but just something rattling around the ol' brain.

4. I was also surprised by how much of the defensive staff has been hired without the DC in place. Seems like that would be a hindrance in getting top level assistants. Of course, most top assistants were already done moving since we didn't fire Jughead in November like we should have.

5. I really don't like the 3-3-5. I prefer almost anything to it, honestly. And in the era of spread offenses, I'm coming more and more around on the idea that 4-2-5 might be the way to go. I know there isn't a huge difference between a 4-2-5 and a 3-3-5, but I'm still somewhat scarred by how bad it was at the end of JLD's time. When he switched from 4-2-5 to 3-3-5 seems like when his D really fell apart. Whether true or not, that's just how I remember it. I'm sure 3-3-5 will be fine and I'm just being paranoid, but my MSU PTSD is triggered by 3-3-5.

6. I'm concerned about Leach just hiring his DL coach from Wazzu without input from a DC. To me, that's the one assistant coach where we should've really splashed some serious cash to get a top tier position coach. Games are won and lost on the DL in the SEC every week. Not sure this guy is up for the task.

7. I'm glad we retained Tony Hughes, although I don't think it should've been in an on-field capacity. He should've been the recruiting coordinator or something similar that keeps him on staff doing what he does best full time.

8. Hope we land an absolute ace recruiter for the final coaching spot. We need a Melvin Smith in the fold to get deals done.

9. I really like the new S&C coach. He seems like a great one that'll build the toughness and physicality we missed last season. We may run a finesse offense in the Air Raid, but I expect to see hard-nosed, physical D again.

10. Regardless of the excitement generated by Leach and the new staff and the money we've invested, I'm still looking at our compliance department. Until we modernize that area and put either an attorney or former NCAA compliance staffer over football at the very least, I just can't bring myself to truly believe we're serious about competing in football. Success in the modern area means operating in the grey areas, sometimes even the sure enough black areas, and Bracky will never let us do that. He'd rather get a pat on the head from the incompetent and toothless NCAA for "exemplary cooperation" than help MSU succeed.

11. When does baseball start? I need something MSU to look forward to until spring practice and actual football talk returns. I'd love to go to some practices, see how Leach structures and runs things.

smootness
01-23-2020, 08:13 AM
Evening, peeps. Looks like our coaching staff is nearly complete. Had some thoughts floating around and thought I'd share. As always, it's my opinion and you're free to agree or disagree.

1. It's hard to not be excited about Leach. As I've said before, I'm a little bit concerned about the fit, but the guy is a helluva coach. We're going to be fun to watch for a few years no matter what.

2. We've made some solid upgrades on the offensive staff. I've got no real problem with Leach bringing most of his guys from Wazzu with him. They've worked together for years, know the system and how to teach it. I'll trust him implicitly with hires on that side of the ball.

3. I was a bit surprised we went for Arnett. Seemed like Newberry was a done deal over the weekend. I was really excited about Newberry. But Arnett is about the same caliber of hire, so I'd call it a wash. I was also surprised we're paying Arnett nearly $1M. That may be the going rate, but if we weren't paying Shoop that much, I'm a little puzzled we'd pay a guy who's only been a DC 2 years so much. I know that's kinda nitpicky, but just something rattling around the ol' brain.

4. I was also surprised by how much of the defensive staff has been hired without the DC in place. Seems like that would be a hindrance in getting top level assistants. Of course, most top assistants were already done moving since we didn't fire Jughead in November like we should have.

5. I really don't like the 3-3-5. I prefer almost anything to it, honestly. And in the era of spread offenses, I'm coming more and more around on the idea that 4-2-5 might be the way to go. I know there isn't a huge difference between a 4-2-5 and a 3-3-5, but I'm still somewhat scarred by how bad it was at the end of JLD's time. When he switched from 4-2-5 to 3-3-5 seems like when his D really fell apart. Whether true or not, that's just how I remember it. I'm sure 3-3-5 will be fine and I'm just being paranoid, but my MSU PTSD is triggered by 3-3-5.

6. I'm concerned about Leach just hiring his DL coach from Wazzu without input from a DC. To me, that's the one assistant coach where we should've really splashed some serious cash to get a top tier position coach. Games are won and lost on the DL in the SEC every week. Not sure this guy is up for the task.

7. I'm glad we retained Tony Hughes, although I don't think it should've been in an on-field capacity. He should've been the recruiting coordinator or something similar that keeps him on staff doing what he does best full time.

8. Hope we land an absolute ace recruiter for the final coaching spot. We need a Melvin Smith in the fold to get deals done.

9. I really like the new S&C coach. He seems like a great one that'll build the toughness and physicality we missed last season. We may run a finesse offense in the Air Raid, but I expect to see hard-nosed, physical D again.

10. Regardless of the excitement generated by Leach and the new staff and the money we've invested, I'm still looking at our compliance department. Until we modernize that area and put either an attorney or former NCAA compliance staffer over football at the very least, I just can't bring myself to truly believe we're serious about competing in football. Success in the modern area means operating in the grey areas, sometimes even the sure enough black areas, and Bracky will never let us do that. He'd rather get a pat on the head from the incompetent and toothless NCAA for "exemplary cooperation" than help MSU succeed.

11. When does baseball start? I need something MSU to look forward to until spring practice and actual football talk returns. I'd love to go to some practices, see how Leach structures and runs things.

1. Agreed

2. Agreed

3. You pay what it takes to get someone, and that generally falls a little higher or at least in the same range that others are willing to pay them. Shoop was making $500k/year at UT and we upped that. It's likely Syracuse had agreed to pay Arnett something more like $700k/year, so we had to go higher. It also tells you how in-demand the coach is. Shoop seemed fully content being at State making $600k and he is now a position coach. I don't think there is a ton of demand out there for him as a DC.

4. I don't think this really matters much, Leach brought guys he wanted.

5. It's definitely a risk to some degree, but offenses are far different now than they were when JLD was here. Hopefully he's willing to move to 4 down linemen if necessary.

6. Washington State's DL had great success in 2017 and 2018, and Phelps had some really good success at Minnesota before that as well. People are looking at last year too much across the board at Washington State. It was a down year, and down years happen at a place like that. There's no reason to think he's some weak DL coach.

7. You want Tony Hughes on the road recruiting, you don't want him just making phone calls.

8. Agreed

9. Agreed

10. I think people make way too big a deal out of this. Our compliance department is fine.

Really Clark?
01-23-2020, 09:08 AM
Shoop was making over a $1 MIL total here. Published numbers did not include his salary from BDC

Todd4State
01-23-2020, 10:07 AM
Bracky needs to be reassigned or retire. He has to be getting close to retiring I would think.

Gutter Cobreh
01-23-2020, 10:30 AM
Shoop was making over a $1 MIL total here. Published numbers did not include his salary from BDC

Regarding Shoop, I found this interesting and quite brutal:
"The only downside to his hire is that it’s not going to make waves on the recruiting trail. According to 247 sports, he was 119th in the assistant coach recruiting rankings in 2019 and was outside the top-400 in the 2020 class."

https://gbmwolverine.com/2020/01/16/michigan-football-bob-shoop-wont-wow-recruiting-good-hire/

Regarding Leach: I don't know how successful he will be, but he captivates people and has everyone talking about MS State. I don't live in MS and people around me are still talking about how excited they are that he is in the SEC. While our previous football success has helped with brand recognition, I think he's going to take that to new heights. I don't foresee future issues with people confusing us with Ole Miss.

War Machine Dawg
01-23-2020, 06:20 PM
Bracky needs to be reassigned or retire. He has to be getting close to retiring I would think.

Surely. Feels like we have been talking about him as a problem for at least 15 years.

War Machine Dawg
01-23-2020, 06:28 PM
1. Agreed

2. Agreed

3. You pay what it takes to get someone, and that generally falls a little higher or at least in the same range that others are willing to pay them. Shoop was making $500k/year at UT and we upped that. It's likely Syracuse had agreed to pay Arnett something more like $700k/year, so we had to go higher. It also tells you how in-demand the coach is. Shoop seemed fully content being at State making $600k and he is now a position coach. I don't think there is a ton of demand out there for him as a DC.

4. I don't think this really matters much, Leach brought guys he wanted.

5. It's definitely a risk to some degree, but offenses are far different now than they were when JLD was here. Hopefully he's willing to move to 4 down linemen if necessary.

6. Washington State's DL had great success in 2017 and 2018, and Phelps had some really good success at Minnesota before that as well. People are looking at last year too much across the board at Washington State. It was a down year, and down years happen at a place like that. There's no reason to think he's some weak DL coach.

7. You want Tony Hughes on the road recruiting, you don't want him just making phone calls.

8. Agreed

9. Agreed

10. I think people make way too big a deal out of this. Our compliance department is fine.

3. Fair. Not saying it is too much, just surprised it took that much. But if he is who Leach wanted and that's what it took to outbid Syracuse, then that's the price you pay. As long as he's successful 900K is still a relative bargain, imo.

6. He could be fine. It's risky, but I'm willing to give him a season. But I think it ties into my 4th point about dragging our feet on firing Jughead and letting most of the college football world finish their business, limiting our available candidates. If he doesn't work out, move on next fall and splash the cash for a top level DL coach then.

MetEdDawg
01-23-2020, 07:16 PM
Regarding Shoop, I found this interesting and quite brutal:
"The only downside to his hire is that it’s not going to make waves on the recruiting trail. According to 247 sports, he was 119th in the assistant coach recruiting rankings in 2019 and was outside the top-400 in the 2020 class."

https://gbmwolverine.com/2020/01/16/michigan-football-bob-shoop-wont-wow-recruiting-good-hire/

Regarding Leach: I don't know how successful he will be, but he captivates people and has everyone talking about MS State. I don't live in MS and people around me are still talking about how excited they are that he is in the SEC. While our previous football success has helped with brand recognition, I think he's going to take that to new heights. I don't foresee future issues with people confusing us with Ole Miss.

I think the figurehead of Leach makes up ground on that category. If you are gonna gamble on assistants, you have to have a HC that can be a game starter. That's what Mike Leach does. He gets you in the door. Then you let the culture you are creating and the people you've hired take over.

That's a big benefit of Leach. You know 100% who he is and what he brings in. That helps a ton in recruiting.

ShotgunDawg
01-23-2020, 07:30 PM
Surely. Feels like we have been talking about him as a problem for at least 15 years.

But in 15 years not 1 administrator or major booster thought he was enough of the problem to force him out?

Think about that

bobcat91
01-23-2020, 08:58 PM
5. I have no issues with the 3 3 5 as it can be as flexible as necessary. TCU runs it and that TCU defense ruined UM in the Peach. That was a brutal beatdown and Mississippi produces a ton of the 6'3" hybrid types that will thrive in that defense. Arnett and Long made that defense a top ten group and with the talent in our nearby area, I expect it to be very formidable. I expect vast upgrades to the offense and special teams which should translate to more wins. If that defense is only top 30 or so, we are going to be very happy with this hire.

Cooterpoot
01-23-2020, 09:10 PM
So you love the hire but question just about everything since. Damn...this is a common State fan issue. Instead of just getting on board and being happy, gotta worry and complain and question everything.
It's time to get past that shit.

Todd4State
01-23-2020, 10:05 PM
But in 15 years not 1 administrator or major booster thought he was enough of the problem to force him out?

Think about that

LT still hangs around our program some. Think about that.

MSU people are nice and there is still some of that small town feel that bleeds over into athletics sometimes. See Bracky.

War Machine Dawg
01-23-2020, 11:26 PM
So you love the hire but question just about everything since. Damn...this is a common State fan issue. Instead of just getting on board and being happy, gotta worry and complain and question everything.
It's time to get past that shit.

You're the 17ing worst. All you do is bitch about others posts and claim everyone but you is poor ol' MSU. I guarantee my track record here is pretty damn solid. Until you actually contribute something substantive to the board in the form of an original opinion or thought, kindly STFU .