PDA

View Full Version : Last few weeks have been interesting.

Leroy Jenkins
01-22-2020, 07:55 PM
First, we miss on the first choice of HC... and end up with an even better hire. Then, we miss on our first choice as DC.... and end up with an even better hire (IMO). It's like we fell down swinging at the first pitch and got up, dusted off, and hit one into the parking lot. I like being on this side of luck.

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 08:00 PM
I don't know if the DC hire is better than Newberry. I just don't know.

As for the rest of your post though, we're being aggressive & not accepting the place many people in the SEC believe we belong.

We poached a power 5 head coach & DC. Think about that

Turfdawg67
01-22-2020, 08:09 PM

Money talks and it is nice to see us paying like we belong to the richest conference in the NCAA.

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 08:11 PM
Money talks and it is nice to see us paying like we belong to the richest conference in the NCAA.

Exactly

Spiderman
01-22-2020, 09:02 PM

You know what's funny? In fact out right damn hilarious?

Ole Miss paid Wesley Mcgriff a million bucks to be DC 3 years ago!!!! We are paying less now for a proven DC.

Stupid Freeze either couldn't get ANYONE else to take the job, or, what I figure, just gave him a million to seem big time. McGriff at the time was the highest or second highest paid DC in the SEC.

That still blows my mind.

Turfdawg67
01-22-2020, 09:09 PM

Ole Miss paid Wesley Mcgriff a million bucks to be DC 3 years ago!!!! We are paying less now for a proven DC.

Stupid Freeze either couldn't get ANYONE else to take the job, or, what I figure, just gave him a million to seem big time. McGriff at the time was the highest or second highest paid DC in the SEC.

If I remember correctly, that was exactly why they had to pay what they did. No one would take the job because the word was out that the hammer was coming. Classic negotiation where the guy that knows he has them by the balls asks for a ridiculous amount AND the say yes. Good for him!

yjnkdawg
01-22-2020, 09:51 PM

Yep, and on the DC when Syracuse matched our offer.

Todd4State
01-22-2020, 10:13 PM
Its been a wild year. Tutor Gate. Joe Burrow mooned us. Tua dislocating his hip. And then the Piss and Miss which caused a seismic chain reaction which altered the face of American football forever and embarrassed Ole Miss world wide.

And then the past month:

We're firing Moorhead- no we're not. Ole Miss fires Luke and hires Lane Kiffin.

We have a strong early NSD. Ole Miss doesn't.

Willie Gay vs Shrader. Music City Bowl debacle. Nevermind- we're firing Moorhead and hiring Napier.

Bert Stare.

No we're getting Joe Judge because no way the Giants will hire him.

Giants hire Joe Judge. So, now we're getting Mike Leach. (Yeah right)

We hire Mike Leach.

And then in typical fashion we hire away Zach Arnett from Syracuse where he never coached a play in his life. Because that's how we roll.

Hours distracted at work the past month- 283.

maroonmania
01-22-2020, 10:30 PM

Can we really consider him 'proven' if he wasn't the primary game planner and play caller as the DC at SDSU?

Dawgtini
01-23-2020, 12:37 AM
Yes. He wasDC for 2 years. The article you read was 2 yrs old btw