PDA

View Full Version : So the Kang and Leach obviously talk

Msujd164
01-22-2020, 07:17 PM
Anyone think Jackie chatted with Leach about Joe Lee and what kind of defense works here, and Leach went and found a guy that runs it?

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 07:20 PM
No. I think Leach has had a long standing fascination with Rocky Long defenses & felt that was the way to go.

Lot of defenses work at MSU. Shoops 4-3 gave us the number 1 defense in the country, Grantham's 3-4 was really good, Joe Lee's 3-3-5 was exceptional.

To me, the game of football is always changing. if you get married as a program to a certain scheme, the game will pass you by. You always have to stay ahead of the curve. In this case, what's old became new again

dawgday166
01-22-2020, 07:22 PM
Maybe but probably not. I thought I could tell Leach was looking for a D that might challenge his offense. Newberry primarily a 4-2-5 guy. 3-3-5 ain't much different I don't believe. I think Leach had a method to all the madness myself.

dawgday166
01-22-2020, 07:29 PM
No. I think Leach has had a long standing fascination with Rocky Long defenses & felt that was the way to go.

Lot of defenses work at MSU. Shoops 4-3 gave us the number 1 defense in the country, Grantham's 3-4 was really good, Joe Lee's 3-3-5 was exceptional.

To me, the game of football is always changing. if you get married as a program to a certain scheme, the game will pass you by. You always have to stay ahead of the curve. In this case, what's old became new again

Shoop ran a 4-2-5 more than anything else. Similar to Newberry. Our 2014 D with Matt Wells as OLB probably could be classified somewhat at 4-2-5 since he was a tweener between OLB & S.

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 07:34 PM
Shoop ran a 4-2-5 more than anything else. Similar to Newberry. Our 2014 D with Matt Wells as OLB probably could be classified somewhat at 4-2-5 since he was a tweener between OLB & S.

We've really got to find another Matt Wells type player in recruiting. The LB corp needs to be restocked. our recruiting there has been putrid & I'm not sure why

Spiderman
01-22-2020, 09:04 PM
Anyone think Jackie chatted with Leach about Joe Lee and what kind of defense works here, and Leach went and found a guy that runs it?

No.

But I do know Mumme hired Joe Lee when he could because Joe Lee was the one dude that could slow them down.

Joe Lee was more 5-2 as a philosophy, but his "ends" were hybrids, giving it a 3-3 look. Give him 2 top cover corners and 1 safety that could play man, and he would kill you.

I think our DC is more of a true 3-3 "Stack" guy

R2Dawg
01-22-2020, 09:25 PM

I remember Joe Lee running 5-1-5 too. Of course the Dog safeties were such a hybrid. Ashley Cooper could play safety, LB and rush end.

OLJWales
01-22-2020, 09:37 PM
I'll never forget that game when JLD brought all 11 to the LOS against KY. I was there. KY had a WTF moment and had to call a time out. Was Leach the OC? If so, we need to ask him about it.

R2Dawg
01-22-2020, 09:54 PM
We've really got to find another Matt Wells type player in recruiting. The LB corp needs to be restocked. our recruiting there has been putrid & I'm not sure why

No kidding, to be honest I think every team is looking for a Matt Wells. A 225lb LB with 4.3 speed is a freak. I agree we need some like him on the 3-3 alignment.

Todd4State
01-22-2020, 09:58 PM
I'll never forget that game when JLD brought all 11 to the LOS against KY. I was there. KY had a WTF moment and had to call a time out. Was Leach the OC? If so, we need to ask him about it.

That was 1999 and I believe Leach had just gone to Oklahoma that year.

Todd4State
01-22-2020, 10:02 PM
I think Mumme/Leach and Jackie/Joe Lee all had a mutual respect for each other going back to when they were going head to head against each other at MSU/UK. Our games in the late 90's against UK were always pretty tightly contested and it was interesting contrast at two schools that had similar resources. You had UK with their passing attack vs. Joe Lee and his blitzing, Jackie's power running offense and special teams. Made for good TV. Bad for my blood pressure. We beat UK in 97 and lost in 98. Both games were like 38-35 type games.

As mentioned Mumme hired Joe Lee Dunn later on at New Mexico State.

Jackie hiring Leach as his OC would have surprised me since his M.O. was pretty much the direct opposite of Leach on offense.

Todd4State
01-22-2020, 10:04 PM
I remember Joe Lee running 5-1-5 too. Of course the Dog safeties were such a hybrid. Ashley Cooper could play safety, LB and rush end.

We had a lot of hybrids. Our DT's were really DT/DE's. Our DE/Rush guys were DE/OLB hybrids. Our DOG were OLB/S hybrids. Allowed for a lot of flexibility.