PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Know If It'll Work, But It's Hard to Not Be Excited If You're An MSU Fan

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 05:33 PM
I don't know if Cohen set out to turn MSU Football into the SEC's version of a knuckle ball, but that's exactly what's happened.

- I always envied Paul Johnson & Georgia Tech because they found a way to compete with less talent due to running a scheme (triple option) that teams struggled to prepare for. However, I always decided that MSU couldn't run that offense because there would be no way to recruit to it. Well, hopefully we've now found that balance. We can recruit to both our offensive & defensive scheme while both are not being run by any other SEC teams.

- We probably won't be the best coached team in the SEC, but here today I think it's safe to say that we may be the most schematically unique team in the SEC. Teams will have to adjust to what we do & that's tough to do in one week.

- I don't know if it'll work but I love the attacking, speed potential that this defense has the potential of. I love comparison to the Freeze defenses. Very aggressive & more concerned with creating plays for lost yardage & turnovers than giving up a big play.

- I love the fact that our offensive staff is already a well oiled machine. Don't underestimate this. Moorhead had to bring in a WR & OL coach that he had never really worked with. IMO the OL coach is most important to have already worked with the OC/play caller. See how Mullen & Hevesy have worked together. Leach already knows he can trust these guys, they know the offense, they already have chemistry, etc, etc, etc. That's going to allow our offense to hit the ground running & allow our players to click in this offense significantly quicker. No coaches have to learn the offense.

- We have a stud, EXPERIENCED, PRODUCTIVE, grad transfer QB coming in on a visit. Will allow us to potentially RS some guys.

- We're already giving out more offers nationally & receiving interest. WR & QB recruiting should see an uptick (Although beware, as Oklahoma found out with Josh Heupel, Leach may go after a 2 star that he just thinks is the THE GUY. Trust it.

- We have a legendary coach who is motivated to prove himself. Has a chip on his shoulder

- Again, I don't know if it'll work, but I like the way this is shaping up. In the near future, we won't have LSU or Bama talent throughout the entire roster. So we've got to fight a Guerrilla war while hoping the blue bloods fight in line formations. Not sure it'll work, but it'll be exciting & gives us a chance.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DezC8EHVAAEiRT3?format=jpg&name=small

Coach34
01-22-2020, 06:34 PM
hahaha- nailed it.

Knuckle ball is the perfect description. It will be interesting for sure

OLJWales
01-22-2020, 07:08 PM
hahaha- nailed it.

Knuckle ball is the perfect description. It will be interesting for sure

I hate catching knuckle balls. I'm 57 and can still chunk one about 45 mph that doesn't spin hardly at all though. It jumps all over the place. I hate having them thrown at me.

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 07:10 PM
I hate catching knuckle balls. I'm 57 and can still chunk one about 45 mph that doesn't spin hardly at all though. It jumps all over the place. I hate having them thrown at me.

No doubt, but if they don't break, they get hit 500ft

RocketDawg
01-22-2020, 07:15 PM

Remember Phil and Joe Niekro? Apparently tossing knucklers lengthens one's throwing arm's lifetime.

Mjoelner34
01-22-2020, 07:29 PM
Speaking of Phil and knuckleballs, I remember him saying one time that you could throw it too fast. Even if it knuckled and was moving too fast it would flatten out. I think he said around 70 was the perfect speed. And yes, if it spins its a flat, 70mph fastball that is going to cause infielders to duck and outfielders to get on their horses.

NCDawg
01-22-2020, 08:10 PM
Remember Phil and Joe Niekro? Apparently tossing knucklers lengthens one's throwing arm's lifetime.

Hoyt Wilhelm threw knuckleballs and pitched in the majors until he was almost 50.

RocketDawg
01-22-2020, 08:13 PM
Hoyt Wilhelm threw knuckleballs and pitched in the majors until he was almost 50.

Are there any knuckleballers currently in the majors?

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 08:17 PM
damn, I didn't start a baseball thread boys

Commercecomet24
01-22-2020, 08:38 PM
I have some concerns but there's definitely plenty to be excited about it! Just a month ago the excitement about our program was at a bad level but that's done a 180 and it's cool!

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 08:53 PM
Are there any knuckleballers currently in the majors?

I don't think so.

It's most due to the struggle to find catchers that can catch them & with the gains in bullpen usage, finding a 210 inning pitcher isn't as necessary as it used to be.

Weston M.
01-23-2020, 10:51 AM
Running the air raid and the 3-3-5 in Starkville. Never thought I'd see the day. Only thing missing now is to go "never punt" and "always go for 2"

Okrastar1
01-23-2020, 10:55 AM
I will say this, as bad as some dog Cohen on here I think he did a pretty damn good job and didn't let this fan base down. Talking to my dad on the way home last night and just shows how bad things had gotten in Starkville when a lifelong State fan could care less about watching them play this past year. Just an amazing reset when we desperately needed it!

smootness
01-23-2020, 01:22 PM
Running the air raid and the 3-3-5 in Starkville. Never thought I'd see the day. Only thing missing now is to go "never punt" and "always go for 2"

A program like ours should absolutely run data on when to go for it on 4th, go for 2, etc. and do it strictly according to the data. It would give us another advantage on our competition, as it would take a while for others to do it.

BrunswickDawg
01-23-2020, 02:11 PM

It would not surprise me at all to see Leach do it.

Tbonewannabe
01-24-2020, 07:36 AM
I will say this, as bad as some dog Cohen on here I think he did a pretty damn good job and didn't let this fan base down. Talking to my dad on the way home last night and just shows how bad things had gotten in Starkville when a lifelong State fan could care less about watching them play this past year. Just an amazing reset when we desperately needed it!

This was close to the point we were. My wife after the bowl game actually said "if Moorhead is the coach then I won't even watch a game next year". I was almost to that point. We had already talked about just going to the tailgate next year to see friends and not even getting tickets. I now want to go to Super Bulldog Weekend to see what our team looks like. It has definitely given us some excitement for the football program again. Once you fully lose it then it is hard to get back. I still kind of struggle with Men's Basketball. My give a crap just isn't where it was before Stans let the ship go down in flames and was replaced by Rick Ray who then set all the lifeboats on fire.

Howland hasn't done a decent job of rebuilding it. It isn't easy. Just look at Arkansas since Nolan Richardson left.

Dawgface
01-24-2020, 08:47 AM
I'm certainly excited about our future. Not expecting miracles in the short term but it does give us hope and something to look forward to next year. Can you imagine how dead it would be on message boards if JoMo was retained with only minor changes to the staff? Even the skeptics have to be excited to some extent.

msstate7
01-24-2020, 08:49 AM
It would not surprise me at all to see Leach do it.

I'd certainly do it against the teams we're outmanned by. I wouldn't do it against equal and lesser teams though

Tbonewannabe
01-24-2020, 09:44 AM
I'd certainly do it against the teams we're outmanned by. I wouldn't do it against equal and lesser teams though

Might as well try something new against Bama. We have only been within 10 points a handful of times the last decade.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-24-2020, 10:38 AM

Leach will probably go for it on 4th down more than the fanbase is comfortable with.

https://www.cougcenter.com/2019/7/19/20687779/interactive-graphic-leach-4th-down-to-neverkick-wsu-cougars-football

BrunswickDawg
01-24-2020, 10:52 AM

I agree. Our local HS coach is a big believer in doing crazy things early in games when he perceives that the opponent has a talent advantage or if his team seems to be "low energy" for some reason. I've seen him go for a 4th and 3 inside his own 30 multiple times in the last 8 years. Amazingly, it works probably 80% of the time. Of course, this is the same coach who had a OL go in motion on a 4th down, then drop and do "the worm" to draw the other team offsides.

https://youtu.be/aLaez6_VXn8

Prediction? Pain.
01-24-2020, 11:18 AM
I agree. Our local HS coach is a big believer in doing crazy things early in games when he perceives that the opponent has a talent advantage or if his team seems to be "low energy" for some reason. I've seen him go for a 4th and 3 inside his own 30 multiple times in the last 8 years. Amazingly, it works probably 80% of the time. Of course, this is the same coach who had a OL go in motion on a 4th down, then drop and do "the worm" to draw the other team offsides.

https://youtu.be/aLaez6_VXn8

This is one of the best things I've ever seen. All hail your local HS football legend.

DownwardDawg
01-24-2020, 11:21 AM
This was close to the point we were. My wife after the bowl game actually said "if Moorhead is the coach then I won't even watch a game next year". I was almost to that point. We had already talked about just going to the tailgate next year to see friends and not even getting tickets. I now want to go to Super Bulldog Weekend to see what our team looks like. It has definitely given us some excitement for the football program again. Once you fully lose it then it is hard to get back. I still kind of struggle with Men's Basketball. My give a crap just isn't where it was before Stans let the ship go down in flames and was replaced by Rick Ray who then set all the lifeboats on fire.

Howland hasn't done a decent job of rebuilding it. It isn't easy. Just look at Arkansas since Nolan Richardson left.

Same here. My wife had completely checked out. She told me I could waste my time if I wanted to but she wasn?t wasting a minute on State football next year. Now she?s following Leach on Twitter and sending me all the funny tweets. We?re all excited about the season. Amazing turn of events.