PDA

View Full Version : Help answer a question me and my business partner are having:

Lord McBuckethead
01-22-2020, 04:34 PM
When you are at a basketball game or a football game who decides whether you sit or stand?

He started this argument because the guy that sits in front of him at the basketball game jumps up for about 70% of the plays. Does the guy in front of him have the right to do this and decline to stay seated when requested to stop?

I would argue that the person in front of you has a elective responsibility to sit if requested, but he does not absolutely have to sit. He can so choose to (to not be a douchebag).

The other argument is that he can only stand if allowed to stand by the people behind him, since they have the same right to see the court as he does.

Standing during critical moments of the game is standard practice in every sporting event known to man.

To put it simply, the person closer to the field has the ability to dictate whether they stand or sit. If requested they could sit, or not. It's totally up to them.

Jack Lambert
01-22-2020, 04:47 PM
Just slap the guy on the back of the head and threaten to kick his ass if he doesn't down.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-22-2020, 04:52 PM
I had a hefer and her international boyfriend bitch at me for standing up in the seating section of the Brandon Amphitheater last year. I was willing to swap seats with them until she got a smart mouth. We stood up the entire rest of the show and they ended up leaving. If you don't want to worry about people standing in front of you, buy closer tickets.

Rex54
01-22-2020, 04:56 PM
Football and Basketball should have terraced stands below for the hardcore fans and seats above for the blue hairs. Sit in the seats, stand in the stands, solves the problem.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e6/RheinEnergieStadion_K%C3%B6ln_011.jpg/1200px-RheinEnergieStadion_K%C3%B6ln_011.jpg

RocketDawg
01-22-2020, 05:07 PM
If you want to stand up all the time, move to the student section.

Jack Lambert
01-22-2020, 05:27 PM
I had a hefer and her international boyfriend bitch at me for standing up in the seating section of the Brandon Amphitheater last year. I was willing to swap seats with them until she got a smart mouth. We stood up the entire rest of the show and they ended up leaving. If you don't want to worry about people standing in front of you, buy closer tickets.

When I sat in the upper west deck the security guard asked the guy and his wife to sit down who was sitting next to us. He said someone was complaining they could not see. It was the 2017 Bama game. I am sure it was a Bama fan. After it happened I stood up. The security guy came back down and told me to sit. I told him go get his supervisor. He never came back and I never sat down. It's your seat no rules say you have to sit down. I will sit to let the folks behind me see. That is how I am but I be damn I am going to be told I have to sit being a season ticket holder and a bulldawg club member.

starkvegasdawg
01-22-2020, 07:49 PM
Lightly rub one finger across his ass and tell him you're enjoying this view much more than the game.

dawgday166
01-22-2020, 07:54 PM
Lightly rub one finger across his ass and tell him you're enjoying this view much more than the game.

LMFAO.

TUSK
01-22-2020, 09:00 PM
If somebody sits on my coffee table between my couch and TV....

I'd prolly just bayonet them...

I reckon.

Lord McBuckethead
01-22-2020, 09:01 PM
My point is this, the person in front of you chooses if the sit or stand. That is their choice. If asked, it is correct etiquette to sit down, but it is not required that you do. If you want to be a douchebag, so be it. The person closer to the court has that right.

TUSK
01-22-2020, 09:51 PM
My point is this, the person in front of you chooses if the sit or stand. That is their choice. If asked, it is correct etiquette to sit down, but it is not required that you do. If you want to be a douchebag, so be it. The person closer to the court has that right.

Agreed. 100.

Todd4State
01-22-2020, 10:21 PM
My personal stadium etiquette- you have to know the decorum of the sport. Golf is different than football obviously.

But for those two sports- it's a situation where cheering is expected and encouraged. So if I'm at a football game or basketball game and the guy in front of me stands up- I stand up too. I'm not going to ask them to sit because of the fact that standing and cheering is acceptable in those instances. That's part of the pleasure of being there is cheering the team on in person.

I do stand up a good bit- the people I sit around at Davis Wade are always cool and never have said anything and I think we all have similar views on this issue. But I do personally look around behind me mainly to see if there are any small children around or someone noticeably shorter than me behind me. (I'm average/tall) If that is the case I still stand but I position myself one or two steps over to the left or right so that the person behind me can see.

It has worked for me personally. I've never been asked to sit down and I've never asked anyone to sit down either.

TUSK
01-22-2020, 10:39 PM
My personal stadium etiquette- you have to know the decorum of the sport. Golf is different than football obviously.

But for those two sports- it's a situation where cheering is expected and encouraged. So if I'm at a football game or basketball game and the guy in front of me stands up- I stand up too. I'm not going to ask them to sit because of the fact that standing and cheering is acceptable in those instances. That's part of the pleasure of being there is cheering the team on in person.

I do stand up a good bit- the people I sit around at Davis Wade are always cool and never have said anything and I think we all have similar views on this issue. But I do personally look around behind me mainly to see if there are any small children around or someone noticeably shorter than me behind me. (I'm average/tall) If that is the case I still stand but I position myself one or two steps over to the left or right so that the person behind me can see.

It has worked for me personally. I've never been asked to sit down and I've never asked anyone to sit down either.

Good take, Todd... I (typically) only stand up at a football game if:
1) the cats in front of me are standing,
2) an exceptional play occurs (see #1),
c) I gotta go to concessions/bathroom/depart.

I can't recall having to ask someone to sit and I'm vigilantly conscious about the line of sight of those that are actually "sitting" behind me....

if that makes sense...

fader2103
01-22-2020, 11:30 PM
I see the OP's thinking but my only concern is if I was the person in front. I bought that ticket. That gives me some right to decide how often I want to use the seat by standing or sitting.

Lord McBuckethead
01-23-2020, 12:08 AM
I see the OP's thinking but my only concern is if I was the person in front. I bought that ticket. That gives me some right to decide how often I want to use the seat by standing or sitting.

Exactly as I view it. We are not at the opera. It is very customary to stand at junctions of the game. If asked, you probably should keep the standing to minimum, because that is the right thing to do. With that, you have a right to stand, regardless of the persons view behind you is blocked by said action. You're a dick, but it is within the rules that you get the option to be a dick.

All I am saying the person behind you does not have a right to stay seated and see the game.

deadheaddawg
01-23-2020, 12:54 AM
If the person in front of me stands up, then I get really......happy.

Because now I can stand up and not feel like a douchebag because the people behind me never stand.

If for whatever reason I can't stand and the person in front of me stands up then I just watch the jumbotron.

Because honestly if you are just going to sit there you are better off watching it on TV. If you want to "experience the atmosphere" then good news....the people in front of you are contributing to a better environment. You can still see the game from the jumbotron.

Going to the game is about the experience. If you need a clear view because you must see everything.....just stay home and watch it...... going to a game is about the game AND the experience. People being into the game is part of it

RiverCityDawg
01-23-2020, 07:11 AM
If the person in front of me stands up, then I get really......happy.

Because now I can stand up and not feel like a douchebag because the people behind me never stand.

If for whatever reason I can't stand and the person in front of me stands up then I just watch the jumbotron.

Because honestly if you are just going to sit there you are better off watching it on TV. If you want to "experience the atmosphere" then good news....the people in front of you are contributing to a better environment. You can still see the game from the jumbotron.

Going to the game is about the experience. If you need a clear view because you must see everything.....just stay home and watch it...... going to a game is about the game AND the experience. People being into the game is part of it

I agree it's about the experience, which is why people want to go to the game in person rather than watch on TV, but I don't see the connection that it inherently means being forced to stand to see what you mainly went there to see.

I personally don't mind standing when the situation calls for it like on third downs (or whenever honestly). But we have a lot of older fans that just can't constantly stand up a lot of the game. If those folks stayed home we would have much smaller crowds.

To me, it's a common sense approach and generally most people can sense when it's time to stand. If no one around you is standing just sit down. Don't be that guy. You can still yell just as loud. I yell most of the game sitting down.

The absolute worst is when everyone is sitting but someone decides to stand up during a play and you miss what just happened. It's not as bad at DWS because of the incline, but when that happens in a stadium like in Nashville the four or five rows worth of people behind you miss what happens because someone decides to play jack in the box without warning.

FISHDAWG
01-23-2020, 08:13 AM
So is it ok to ask the person behind you to quit ringing the cowbell in your ear ?

deadheaddawg
01-23-2020, 08:32 AM
So is it ok to ask the person behind you to quit ringing the cowbell in your ear ?

Exactly. I had to have brain surgery 2 years ago. Loud noises give me headaches. So I wear ear plugs.

I make adjustments so my issues do not keep others from enjoying the game

If you are unable to stand often, then just watch the jumbotron. The jumbotron will show you what's happening plus you get to enjoy the environment of the game

bigplayslay
01-23-2020, 08:39 AM
It all depends on the situation. If I'm told to sit down on 1st down while we're on offense I am ok with that but if it's third down and we are on defense there is a slim chance I'm sitting down. I am only two years removed from being a student and basically standing all game.

There was one instance in which a decently big donor gave me and two of my family members seats to the ole miss basketball game at the hump and the donor sat behind us. Well me and my brother were standing up at a crucial part of the game and the donor told us to sit down. All I could do was mumble under my breath in that instance haha.

sleepy dawg
01-23-2020, 09:48 AM
After Mullen came and we were actually selling tickets again this question came up to Greg Byrne. A lot of folks were grouchy that people were standing even when asked to sit. Greg Byrne said to stand if you want to stand. You buy the ticket, you can choose to stand or sit while at your seat. If the person behind you has a problem with it, that's their problem. That's not a quote obviously but it's the gist of what he said. Standing promotes noise and energy.
Someone said if you want to stand the whole game then go to the student section. I'd say if you want to sit the whole game, stay at home, buy a better ticket, or wheel you ass on over to the handicap section. There's always going to be standing. The better we are and the bigger the game will have the most standing.

BeastMan
01-23-2020, 11:10 AM
If you want to stand why not buy the pit tickets at the Brandon Ampitheatre? They?re like half the price. You know people in the seats, especially the 200s want to sit. There are exceptions like when a nice lookin lady wants to hop up and dance to her favorite Chris Stapleton song. Or maybe initially when the band plays their hit. But to the guy that stands for the whole concert in an assigned section... That?s an odd look.

deadheaddawg
01-23-2020, 12:04 PM
lol.

Going to a concert and sitting down is far worse than a sporting event. I feel bad when standing at a sporting event and the people behind me are not......at concerts, I dont give AF what the people behind me are doing. I am going to be standing up and if the guy behind me ask for me to sit down I will laugh and continue standing.

For the record I have never been asked to set down. I imagine most people at concerts have enough common sense to understand that not being able to see because you are setting down is YOUR problem, not the person standing

Hot Rock
01-23-2020, 03:49 PM
My take:

The worst are the people that won't ever stand and want you to sit even when a big play happens. And no, I cannot make as much noise while sitting.

Standing the whole game can be a pain though. In football, I limit my standing to big plays or if those around me stand. I will always be yelling when the opposing team has the ball. I hate it when the crowd gets quite for the opposing offense even if it's 1st down. I do get a bit louder on 3rd or 4th though.

Now, when State has the ball. Please sit down, shut up and stop ringing your damn bell when our center starts toward the ball or we huddle up. Let our offense work and communicate. After the snap, yell, ring that bell and if it's exciting, jump up and down all you want but not when our offense is trying to get a play called. It sucks when our own team can't hear to call plays.

Huntsville Dawg
01-23-2020, 08:29 PM
It's your seat do what you want. Unless the person behind you is disabled or a little kid. And being super fat is not disabled.

DogsofAnarchy
01-24-2020, 11:42 AM
Stand up or sit down. If you paid it?s your choice. Now manners are a different question. If someone asked you politely to sit then maybe you should comply. If not...so be it!!

RougeDawg
01-24-2020, 01:18 PM

Spot on Todd, but the problem is your take is the exception, not the norm.

The 35-40 and younger crowd has a large percentage of mind numbing oblivious people. They have been told they are great their entire lives and the world revolves them. Thus, they are oblivious how their actions/choices are impacting those around them. It is the same mindset of the driver on the road who has room to get over to let you merge. Yet they stay in the right lane and make you wait to enter the road. Completely oblivious. There are multiple examples of this obliviousness, but I only see the problem getting worse as we move forward.

The person in the seat has a right to sit or stand. But they also need to have some self awareness. Which is really lacking these days.

Vandownbytheriver
01-24-2020, 08:47 PM

The 35-40 and younger crowd has a large percentage of mind numbing oblivious people. They have been told they are great their entire lives and the world revolves them. Thus, they are oblivious how their actions/choices are impacting those around them. It is the same mindset of the driver on the road who has room to get over to let you merge. Yet they stay in the right lane and make you wait to enter the road. Completely oblivious. There are multiple examples of this obliviousness, but I only see the problem getting worse as we move forward.

The person in the seat has a right to sit or stand. But they also need to have some self awareness. Which is really lacking these days.

The problem I see with this line of thinking is most folks who claim there is a lack of self awareness in this age group are also the people who claim we are a generation of pussies and coddled. What decides where the self awareness should be? Do we have to sit for all the Mary's out there, but also get offended when people want to express themselves when their train of thought doesn't line up with ours? If you go to any SEC sporting event and want to sit on your ass the entire time, that's a you problem, not a me problem. I won't go out of my way to ruin an event for anyone, likewise no one should be allowed to tell you how to cheer. If you want to sit, so be it. Like others have said, we have two big ass TV's you can watch. Don't get pissed if others want to get caught up in the moment.

Todd4State
01-24-2020, 08:53 PM

The people I sit around- some are in that age bracket- we all get along well and there haven't been any issues in years.

The problem I see with this line of thinking is most folks who claim there is a lack of self awareness in this age group are also the people who claim we are a generation of pussies and coddled. What decides where the self awareness should be? Do we have to sit for all the Mary's out there, but also get offended when people want to express themselves when their train of thought doesn't line up with ours? If you go to any SEC sporting event and want to sit on your ass the entire time, that's a you problem, not a me problem. I won't go out of my way to ruin an event for anyone, likewise no one should be allowed to tell you how to cheer. If you want to sit, so be it. Like others have said, we have two big ass TV's you can watch. Don't get pissed if others want to get caught up in the moment.

Good to see you again!

Vandownbytheriver
01-24-2020, 08:56 PM
The people I sit around- some are in that age bracket- we all get along well and there haven't been any issues in years.

Good to see you again!

Thanks man. I took like a 2 year hiatus. Not sure why this was the post I decided to respond to. Just seems like the same folks who hate the trophies for everyone generation also think that people should cater to a certain age demographic lead by a Mary. Boggles my mind. No one person is above everyone else.

Weston M.
01-25-2020, 04:26 PM
If I paid money for my seat and I want to stand at any juncture of the game, I'm going to stand. If I'm standing, I'm probably yelling. If you have a problem with that, go home. Because if you're sitting down and not yelling, you should just be watching the game at home. My two cents at least.

Joebob
01-26-2020, 06:17 PM

You?re not old until you think cowbells are too loud :)