msstate7
01-22-2020, 03:48 PM
What spots are left?

KOdawg1
01-22-2020, 03:52 PM
Just LB coach I think.

HailStateSZN19
01-22-2020, 03:56 PM
Arnett is going to coach the LB's as well. So that spot is taken. So we have 1 final spot left on the staff we can put someone but all positions on the field are covered.

QB/OC- Leach (doesn't count against the 10)

1. RB- Mele
2. IWR-Nichol
3. OWR- Spurrier Jr.
4. OL-Miller
5. DL- Phelps
6. CB- McBath
7. S- Hughes
8. DC/LB- Arnett
9. ST- Brock
10. ???

Big4Dawg
01-22-2020, 03:57 PM
Arnett is going to coach LBs as well. https://t.co/WzhKOrcsNN?amp=1

"Mississippi State has hired Zach Arnett as its defensive coordinator and linebackers coach, head coach Mike Leach announced Wednesday."

msstate7
01-22-2020, 03:58 PM
Arnett is going to coach the LB's as well. So that spot is taken. So we have 1 final spot left on the staff we can put someone but all positions on the field are covered.

1. RB- Mele
2. IWR-Nichol
3. OWR- Spurrier Jr.
4. OL-Miller
5. DL- Phelps
6. CB- McBath
7. S- Hughes
8. DC/LB- Arnett
9. ST- Brock
10. ???

Thanks for list. Maybe go get best recruiter we can for that last spot

HailStateSZN19
01-22-2020, 03:59 PM

That's the idea I like as well. Doesn't matter what title you give him. Just go get the absolute best recruiter you possibly can and give him a title so he can recruit off-campus as well.

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 04:00 PM

Trooper Taylor?

KOdawg1
01-22-2020, 04:02 PM
That's the idea I like as well. Doesn't matter what title you give him. Just go get the absolute best recruiter you possibly can and give him a title so he can recruit off-campus as well.

Promote Brad Peterson

DEDawg
01-22-2020, 04:02 PM

I wanna see Brewster back

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 04:05 PM
Promote Brad Peterson

Not a terrible idea for instate crooting

trojandawg
01-22-2020, 04:20 PM
maybe hire a qb coach for on the field?

HC, OC, and QB coach seems like a lot to be. i know that is basically what dan did, but at the same time he also had a guy run drills with QB

Todd4State
01-22-2020, 06:13 PM
I'd hire a safeties coach and make Hughes the recruiting coordinator/ DOG backs coach.

We could do something unique and hire a kickers coach but I prefer to do what we did with Chris Boniol and use that as a quality control coach/not a guy that can recruit in home spot.

Could hire an assistant o-line coach. Lots of ways to go with this. I think my first sentence is the most logical way to go though.

msstate7
01-22-2020, 06:29 PM
I'd hire a safeties coach and make Hughes the recruiting coordinator/ DOG backs coach.

We could do something unique and hire a kickers coach but I prefer to do what we did with Chris Boniol and use that as a quality control coach/not a guy that can recruit in home spot.

Could hire an assistant o-line coach. Lots of ways to go with this. I think my first sentence is the most logical way to go though.

I like the safety coach idea

somebodyshotmypaw
01-22-2020, 07:25 PM

1. RB- Mele
2. IWR-Nichol
3. OWR- Spurrier Jr.
4. OL-Miller
5. DL- Phelps
6. CB- McBath
7. S- Hughes
8. DC/LB- Arnett
9. ST- Brock
10. ???

Just curious, but who would coach Spivey and Cumbest?

I've seen programs where the tight ends spend some of practice time with the WR coach and some with the OL coach.

NCDawg
01-22-2020, 08:29 PM

I agree also with your first sentence.

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 08:30 PM
Looks like we're going to hire another LB coach.

Hopefully one that can recruit

Spiderman
01-22-2020, 08:56 PM
Just curious, but who would coach Spivey and Cumbest?

I've seen programs where the tight ends spend some of practice time with the WR coach and some with the OL coach.

Nichol, the inside receiver coach

HailStateSZN19
01-22-2020, 09:01 PM
Looks like we're going to hire another LB coach.

Hopefully one that can recruit

Sounds like there’s a possibility we bring Jamar Chaney home. Idk about anyone else but I’d be down with that for sure. He’d recruit his ass off for us & would have credibility with young MS recruits.

Coursesuper
01-22-2020, 09:03 PM
Sounds like there?s a possibility we bring Jamar Chaney home. Idk about anyone else but I?d be down with that for sure. He?d recruit his ass off for us & would have credibility with young MS recruits.

Where is this coming from?

DeputyDawg94
01-22-2020, 09:05 PM
Sounds like there’s a possibility we bring Jamar Chaney home. Idk about anyone else but I’d be down with that for sure. He’d recruit his ass off for us & would have credibility with young MS recruits.

Where is he at now?

HailStateSZN19
01-22-2020, 09:25 PM

Rosie hinted at it over on the 247 boards. Said he's getting a look and another poster chimed in and set he heard Chaney is getting an interview tomorrow and if he does a solid job in the interview, he will get it. I sure as hell like that a lot better than the WSU guy being brought in, which is probably exactly what will happen if Chaney doesn't get it because it sounds like we're going to use this last spot specifically on a LB coach even though Arnett was announced as the DC/LB coach.

HailStateSZN19
01-22-2020, 09:26 PM
Where is he at now?

He's at UF with Mullen in an off-the-field recruiting role. He must be doing a solid job because UF fans have been wanting English canned and move Chaney on the field.

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 09:29 PM

Twitter

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 09:33 PM
If you think Chaney can be a good recruiter, it's a good spot to bring in a first year college coach because the DC is also a LB coach. So Chaney will have guidance & a safety net in that regard.

That being said, he needs to be a good recruiter or we're just wasting a spot on staff

TheLostDawg
01-23-2020, 10:11 PM
If you think Chaney can be a good recruiter, it's a good spot to bring in a first year college coach because the DC is also a LB coach. So Chaney will have guidance & a safety net in that regard.

That being said, he needs to be a good recruiter or we're just wasting a spot on staff

I concur

Seems like it is a dream come true for him and us if he does recruit well, falls into a position of relative need yet has a safety net, and he is coaching for the team where he played college ball. Hopefully this works out.

CovertDawg
01-23-2020, 10:24 PM
I wanna see Brewster back

Great recruiter and good guy but will never happen. Don't you remember the comments he made...."Jimbo rescued me from Mississippi State."

Todd4State
01-23-2020, 10:35 PM
Rosie hinted at it over on the 247 boards. Said he's getting a look and another poster chimed in and set he heard Chaney is getting an interview tomorrow and if he does a solid job in the interview, he will get it. I sure as hell like that a lot better than the WSU guy being brought in, which is probably exactly what will happen if Chaney doesn't get it because it sounds like we're going to use this last spot specifically on a LB coach even though Arnett was announced as the DC/LB coach.

This doesn't make sense to me because Arnett coaches LB and Brock coaches OLB/ST. Sure Brock could focus solely on ST I suppose.

I can't see us bringing in the other WSU guy because he is a former DC and probably wanted the job. Seems like the potential for conflict of interest.

DEDawg
01-23-2020, 11:07 PM
Great recruiter and good guy but will never happen. Don't you remember the comments he made...."Jimbo rescued me from Mississippi State."

Easily glossed over by just saying he meant Dan's Mississippi State and hes always dreamed of working for Leach. Now that Chaney's name is popping up I'm all on board for that too, just saying I think it would be easy to bring him back if we doubled his pay and said assistant OC/recruiting coordinator or something like that

Homedawg
01-23-2020, 11:19 PM

That's just it, we don't know if he's a good recruiter or not. Don't know if he can coach or not.

LibraryDawg
01-24-2020, 10:46 AM
Any word on the last staff slot?

LibraryDawg
01-26-2020, 07:52 PM
Any word on the last staff slot?
Bump

Todd4State
01-26-2020, 08:20 PM
I'd look at Clancy Pendergast if we want a good linebacker coach. Going after someone that can coach safeties makes more sense to me still but I'm not calling the shots.

Coach34
01-26-2020, 09:27 PM
Need a guy like Chaney on staff. Let him recruit and coach LB's. Allow our DC to roam around view as needed

Coursesuper
01-26-2020, 09:34 PM
Need a guy like Chaney on staff. Let him recruit and coach LB's. Allow our DC to roam around view as needed

Chaney was on campus and they would like to find a place for him but Arnett has a guy he wants to fill the LB's position. The DC will be DC only and not coach a position which is huge thing for the program moving forward.

Coursesuper
01-26-2020, 09:35 PM
Delete double post.

Todd4State
01-27-2020, 03:03 AM
Chaney was on campus and they would like to find a place for him but Arnett has a guy he wants to fill the LB's position. The DC will be DC only and not coach a position which is huge thing for the program moving forward.

Hmmm....that's interesting. Probably someone from San Diego State.

I would definitely like to have Chaney back as an analyst.

LibraryDawg
01-27-2020, 09:11 AM
Hmmm....that's interesting. Probably someone from San Diego State.

I would definitely like to have Chaney back as an analyst.

Surely we can pay him more as an analyst than Florida is in player personnel. Plus as an analyst that gives him a clearer path to the field, you would think.

DCdawg
01-27-2020, 11:52 AM
There certainly appears to be some smoke. If you look at Chaney's Twitter followers, several of the new staff from WSU that had no reason to follow him prior to being hired are following him.