PDA

View Full Version : Zach Arnet DC

Lord McBuckethead
01-22-2020, 02:35 PM
Pete Thamel
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1220066638738968576

Lord McBuckethead
01-22-2020, 02:37 PM
https://insidetheloudhouse.com/2020/01/19/syracuse-football-getting-to-know-zach-arnett/

msstate7
01-22-2020, 02:37 PM
3-3-5? Are those OLBs DE types?

Lord McBuckethead
01-22-2020, 02:38 PM
Arnett’s SDSU unit was ranked sixth in total defense this past year, and 21st in 2018. The Aztecs were third in scoring defense in 2019, and 32nd in 2018. If you’d prefer to look at advanced metrics (not a bad idea), San Diego State was 21st in defensive FEI in 2019 and 31st in 2018

https://www.nunesmagician.com/2020/1/11/21061526/breaking-syracuse-football-hires-zach-arnett-as-new-defensive-coordinator-orange-san-diego-state

msstate7
01-22-2020, 02:39 PM
Arnett’s SDSU unit was ranked sixth in total defense this past year, and 21st in 2018. The Aztecs were third in scoring defense in 2019, and 32nd in 2018. If you’d prefer to look at advanced metrics (not a bad idea), San Diego State was 21st in defensive FEI in 2019 and 31st in 2018

Outstanding results

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 02:39 PM

vv83
01-22-2020, 02:42 PM
Really didn’t like the Leach hire or him bringing all his WSU guys over, but gotta say. Think this is an excellent hire

MaroonFlounder
01-22-2020, 02:44 PM
So is everyone on board with this guy? Gotta get personnel for this scheme.

TrapGame
01-22-2020, 02:46 PM
Oh hell yeah!!!

We about to play some Big Boy football. We're taking the next step.

Medic601
01-22-2020, 02:46 PM
I’ve been pretty critical of Leach on bringing a lot of his Wazzou defensive staff over but this hire could turn out to be very good.

KentuckyDawg13
01-22-2020, 02:48 PM
Great hire!

Leroy Jenkins
01-22-2020, 02:49 PM
Like most things since the Bowl game ended.... this turned out better than I expected.

msstate7
01-22-2020, 02:52 PM
So is everyone on board with this guy? Gotta get personnel for this scheme.

I love his results at SDSU. I do want an explanation of the 3-3-5 though. Seems we will be vulnerable to sec running games

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-22-2020, 02:53 PM
Really didn’t like the Leach hire or him bringing all his WSU guys over, but gotta say. Think this is an excellent hire

not a fan of Leach but you are all in on Zach Arnett? That seems really odd

vv83
01-22-2020, 02:54 PM
I love his results at SDSU. I do want an explanation of the 3-3-5 though. Seems we will be vulnerable to sec running games

Same concern. Excited and want to see how it works this year but with the way college football is moving I feel it gives us a better shot going forward. Alabama will always have the talent to run it down our throats but for the pass happy way the league is moving, will be interesting to see how it works

Msujd164
01-22-2020, 02:54 PM
I believe we will see a crap ton of blitzes out of this 3-3-5. Very unique. Front guys better be physical!

vv83
01-22-2020, 02:55 PM
not a fan of Leach but you are all in on Zach Arnett? That seems really odd

Considering one is a DC and one is a HC, yes

Duckdog
01-22-2020, 02:55 PM
https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2020/01/defensive-coordinator-zach-arnett-expected-to-leave-syracuse-football-for-mississippi-state-report.html

TrapGame
01-22-2020, 02:56 PM

Is it easier to blitz out of a 3-3-5?

I'd like to hear the run game explanation too.

timotheus
01-22-2020, 02:56 PM
Hope he hits the ground running with a plan and a good scheme.

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 02:57 PM

Maybe, but the game is going more pass heavy.

I'd honestly much rather Bama & LSU run it anyway. Shortens the game & lowers the score.

Irondawg
01-22-2020, 02:58 PM
At this point may be wise to save 3 schollies or so for players that decide to enter the portal after spring practice - I?m not sure how many bodies we have capable of playing the lb spots well in this alignment

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 02:59 PM
Is it easier to blitz out of a 3-3-5?

I'd like to hear the run game explanation too.

You certainly have more speed on the field. My guess is that the trick is disguising the blitz wit DBs instead of LBs.

This is basically a 3-4 like we played under Grantham but with a LB taken out & my guess a bigger safety put in.

Somehow though, you have to disquise blitzes with corners & Safeties instead of the extra LB like you do in the 3-4

Ifyouonlyknew
01-22-2020, 03:00 PM

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/platform/amp/2018/9/14/17856708/the-rise-of-the-aztec-empire-san-diego-state-iowa-state-arizona-state-herm-edwards

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 03:00 PM
I don't fully understand the 3-3-5, but at least we're getting more speed on the field. that should help

vv83
01-22-2020, 03:01 PM
I wish Leo had one more year. Would be interested to see if with a proper S&C offseason and the scheme switch, he could live up to some of his hype

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 03:04 PM
https://www.footballstudyhall.com/platform/amp/2018/9/14/17856708/the-rise-of-the-aztec-empire-san-diego-state-iowa-state-arizona-state-herm-edwards

Good stuff. Who is our Aztec Warrior middle of the field guy?

The middle guy running towards the LOS at the snap is the unique aspect of this defense

We first explored the idea of the “Aztec” when studying the unique 3-3-5 defense that Rocky Long’s San Diego State has utilized to become a perennial contender in the Mountain West conference. As a brief refresher, Long’s 3-3-5 utilizes very different personnel than your typical defense. They play with three DL, all of which are generally “tweeners” who are good at slanting and attacking blocks but none of whom have the size of even your average 3-technique at a bigger program. Then there are the three LBs, each of whom are more typically sized and move around from 9-techniques on the edge, the walk-out spot towards the slot, and then back inside like a traditional inside-backer.

In the secondary they play with four DBs who are all akin to cornerbacks in that they can play some man coverage, and then a third safety who’s a S/LB hybrid that doesn’t align over the slot like your nickel hybrids but instead in the middle of the field.
The result of this guy sitting there is that the Aztecs can often get, in effect, a full-time box safety who serves as an extra man stuffing running plays without being accounted for by the offensive blocking scheme.
Bryce Love ran for 29 yards on 18 carries against the Aztecs, although Stanford eventually pulled away after figuring out that the aggressive deployment of “Aztec” safety Parker Baldwin meant man coverage outside on J.J. Arcega-Whiteside. But teams needn’t necessarily be this aggressive in order to make the most of this style.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Gu243Lz02OkWPiMeZlSpL8RuDzA=/1400x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/13058337/Aztec_TFL_vs_Stanford.jpg

preachermatt83
01-22-2020, 03:06 PM
We will never be able to our physical the likes of Bama and LSU but we can use uniqness and speed to keep us in play. I love this hire

dawgs
01-22-2020, 03:06 PM
Same concern. Excited and want to see how it works this year but with the way college football is moving I feel it gives us a better shot going forward. Alabama will always have the talent to run it down our throats but for the pass happy way the league is moving, will be interesting to see how it works

It's not just the sec, it's football in general moving towards more passing and spread concepts. Even against spread running teams, you run a nickel most of the time.

dawgs
01-22-2020, 03:08 PM
We will never be able to our physical the likes of Bama and LSU but we can use uniqness and speed to keep us in play. I love this hire

Yep, we can find a few guys each cycle that are on par with what bama and LSU puts on the field, but we will never match them top to bottom. Doing something a little outside the box gives us a chance to mitigate some of that talent disparity.

Commercecomet24
01-22-2020, 03:09 PM
Our ole buddy Joe Lee is considered the father of the 3-3-5 and it worked pretty good here. Arnett looks like a good hire.

Msujd164
Didn?t Joe Lee run a 3-3-5? That worked out pretty good I think!

trojandawg
yes you must have a monster playing the nose tackle position. think Jeffery simmons. you also have to have some beasts playing line backer and defensive end. you are counting on 6 guys beating the 5 up front. and your db's are big in run support. i ran the 3--3-5 once in high school. it was not the best for defending the run, but you must blitz to keep people off balance.

HailStateSZN19

Bingo. Hit the nail on the head Preacher! Like Thamel said, we ought to be a nightmare to prepare for with Leach on offense and Arnett running this 3-3-5 style defense. We will be unique for dang sure!

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 03:11 PM

I do as well.

We are officially the SEC's knuckle ball now.

Commercecomet24
01-22-2020, 03:11 PM
Really good article on the birth of the 3-3-5 and Joe Lee.

https://grantland.com/features/an-excerpt-essential-smart-football-birth-3-3-5-defense/

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 03:13 PM
Yep, we can find a few guys each cycle that are on par with what bama and LSU puts on the field, but we will never match them top to bottom. Doing something a little outside the box gives us a chance to mitigate some of that talent disparity.

Absolutely. You can make them play slower due to us being weird.

The key is that this defense doesn't become mainstream & the schemes are developed to beat it. As long as we are one of the only ones running it, we'll be the knuckle ball that everyone struggles to prepare for.

If you're LSU or Bama, it's tough to spend significant off season time & resources figuring out how to beat MSU's weird defense

Jack Lambert
01-22-2020, 03:15 PM
Like most things since the Bowl game ended.... this turned out better than I expected.

And we still beat Ole Miss and went to a bowl game. Other then the lose everyone on both sides won.

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 03:16 PM
Our ole buddy Joe Lee is considered the father of the 3-3-5 and it worked pretty good here. Arnett looks like a good hire.

So is the Aztec Warrior & the Dawg Safety the same position?

Jack Lambert
01-22-2020, 03:17 PM

Does he wear socks and coaches from the sideline?

TrapGame
01-22-2020, 03:17 PM

Completely agree. Leach is building a weird, unique monster. This is gonna be fun.

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 03:19 PM
Completely agree. Leach is building a weird, unique monster. This is gonna be fun.

Agree. If nothing else, we'll be taking those teams out of their game. We'll make them play differently than what they're used to. Hopefully that means they play slower

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-22-2020, 03:21 PM
https://www.nunesmagician.com/2020/1/21/21075548/one-major-reason-to-get-excited-about-syracuse-hiring-zach-arnett-stop-rate-orange-football-defense

The Athletic discussed the top 2019 teams in terms of stop rate (the percentage of a defense’s drives that end in punts, turnovers or a turnover on downs) this week, and included among those notes was one about San Diego State, which fourth overall in the measure, with 82.2% (just 0.3% away from the top team, Ohio State).

Coincidentally, SDSU was actually second in the nation according to that metric, forcing three-and-outs an impressive 46.5% of the time. Again, adjust for competition a bit, BUT that’s still a great clip, and we’d even take something halfway between that and what Syracuse managed last year (26.6% 3-and-out rate).

TrapGame
01-22-2020, 03:22 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Gu243Lz02OkWPiMeZlSpL8RuDzA=/1400x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/13058337/Aztec_TFL_vs_Stanford.jpg

Three down and everyone else standing and moving around. Then they pounce on the snap.

Reminds me some of OM's defense at Freeze's height. It's quick and athletic.

I'm stoked. This is giving me premature wool.

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 03:26 PM
Reminds me some of OM's defense at Freeze's height. It's quick and athletic.

I was going to say the same thing.

It's a big play defense. On paper you should be able to run against it, but since dudes are blitzing through different gaps, you'll also get a good many tackle for losses, which will to 2nd & 3rd & long & thus take the running game out of it.

I like this.

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 03:28 PM
Leach continues to live up the motto at the header of his twitter page. Evade the enemy.

MSU is about to be a band of guerilla fighters. Last of the Mohicans style

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DezC8EHVAAEiRT3?format=jpg&name=small

TrapGame
01-22-2020, 03:29 PM

It's a big play defense. On paper you should be able to run against it, but since dudes are blitzing through different gaps, you'll also get a good many tackle for losses, which will to 2nd & 3rd & long & thus take the running game out of it.

I like this.

Yeah, looks like the guy that tackled the RB was blitzing a gap. He came in untouched and hit the RB for a loss.

PMDawg
01-22-2020, 03:31 PM
Good stuff. Who is our Aztec Warrior middle of the field guy?

The middle guy running towards the LOS at the snap is the unique aspect of this defense

We first explored the idea of the ?Aztec? when studying the unique 3-3-5 defense that Rocky Long?s San Diego State has utilized to become a perennial contender in the Mountain West conference. As a brief refresher, Long?s 3-3-5 utilizes very different personnel than your typical defense. They play with three DL, all of which are generally ?tweeners? who are good at slanting and attacking blocks but none of whom have the size of even your average 3-technique at a bigger program. Then there are the three LBs, each of whom are more typically sized and move around from 9-techniques on the edge, the walk-out spot towards the slot, and then back inside like a traditional inside-backer.

In the secondary they play with four DBs who are all akin to cornerbacks in that they can play some man coverage, and then a third safety who?s a S/LB hybrid that doesn?t align over the slot like your nickel hybrids but instead in the middle of the field.
The result of this guy sitting there is that the Aztecs can often get, in effect, a full-time box safety who serves as an extra man stuffing running plays without being accounted for by the offensive blocking scheme.
Bryce Love ran for 29 yards on 18 carries against the Aztecs, although Stanford eventually pulled away after figuring out that the aggressive deployment of ?Aztec? safety Parker Baldwin meant man coverage outside on J.J. Arcega-Whiteside. But teams needn?t necessarily be this aggressive in order to make the most of this style.

Marcus Murphy?

HailStateSZN19
01-22-2020, 03:31 PM
Janari Dean playing the "Aztec" or "Bulldog", whatever it will be called here, for 3-4 years could be hell on wheels. Let him roam all over the place and with his speed and athleticism, he could be a monster playing that role. Just let his athleticism and instincts take over and let him loose back there.

KOdawg1
01-22-2020, 03:34 PM
Marcus Murphy?

Guys like Marcus Murphy, Janari Dean, and JP Purvis are going to thrive in this type of defense.

Pinto
01-22-2020, 03:39 PM
What kind of fresh hell would Jonathan Abram wreck in this defense?

dawgday166
01-22-2020, 03:40 PM

Really?? We can get speed and be real physical on D side of ball. Look at who we have in the league. That hasn't been a problem for us really as long as we keep recruiting like we have been.

confucius say
01-22-2020, 03:42 PM
There is a Syracuse article from when arnett was hired that says rocky long actually did the game plan and called the defenses while arnett job was to make sure players lined up correctly and new their assignments. No idea if true, but interesting.

TrapGame
01-22-2020, 03:43 PM
I hope we ain't jumping the gun on this.

Is this a "for sure" thing?

I'd hate to lose all this early wool I'm sprouting.

Commercecomet24
01-22-2020, 03:50 PM
Much like Joe Lee did in the 90's this defense allows us to get more speed on the field and it's an aggressive attacking style of defense which I like.

MaroonBelle
01-22-2020, 03:50 PM
I hope we ain't jumping the gun on this.

Is this a "for sure" thing?

I'd hate to lose all this early wool I'm sprouting.

Syracuse has released a statement that they are "disappointed" he will not be honoring the commitment he made to them and they will continue their search for a DC so that seems like a pretty sure thing.

MaroonBelle
01-22-2020, 03:52 PM
It sure seems like we will be aggressive and opportunistic on both sides of the ball. I am so excited.

TrapGame
Syracuse has released a statement that they are "disappointed" he will not be honoring the commitment he made to them and they will continue their search for a DC so that seems like a pretty sure thing.

Nice.

Dawgfan77
One thing I love about this scheme is that we always have those tweeners not FS or SS to light for LB. this is like having a smaller LB that roams the middle while a FS roams the back half. Allows the dog safety is you will to blitz and add run support also helps in man coverage and neutralize the WR or TE on a LB.

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 03:55 PM
One thing I love about this scheme is that we always have those tweeners not FS or SS to light for LB. this is like having a smaller LB that roams the middle while a FS roams the back half. Allows the dog safety is you will to blitz and add run support also helps in man coverage and neutralize the WR or TE on a LB.

More speed on field and easier to recruit to.

Commercecomet24
01-22-2020, 03:56 PM
This defense will defintely create a lot of negative plays and turnovers, and it will also give up some big plays. Sometimes to get something you have to give up something.

HailStateSZN19
01-22-2020, 03:57 PM
Nice.

The MSU football account has already tweeted out a release announcing Arnett so it's official now.

OLJWales
01-22-2020, 03:58 PM
I'd be mad if I were a Syracuse fan, but I guess that's the way it goes. Was it money? Getting to coach in the SEC? connections?

TrapGame
01-22-2020, 03:59 PM
The MSU football account has already tweeted out a release announcing Arnett so it's official now.

https://media.giphy.com/media/13DrdRI2JqdoLC/giphy.gif

Really Clark?
01-22-2020, 04:02 PM
He will coach LB’s as well

Political Hack
01-22-2020, 04:30 PM
Offensive gap assignment responsibilities are so much more difficult against different fronts. 3-3-5 is going to make it hard for people to prepare and we're going to basically have an infinite number of stunts and blitzes we could run out of it. Given the talent discrepancies we usually face, I think this is pretty damn smart.

Commercecomet24
01-22-2020, 04:34 PM
Offensive gap assignment responsibilities are so much more difficult against different fronts. 3-3-5 is going to make it hard for people to prepare and we're going to basically have an infinite number of stunts and blitzes we could run out of it. Given the talent discrepancies we usually face, I think this is pretty damn smart.

Nail on head!

FISHDAWG
01-22-2020, 04:37 PM

I like this.

yep ... and it seems like it would be hard for the QB to read at the LOS

Irondawg
01-22-2020, 04:38 PM
The key is the talent of the playcaller and getting the correct play to disrupt the offense. We're going to learn very quickly how good he is at this since it's been said Long made all the calls at SDSU

Coursesuper
01-22-2020, 04:38 PM

Yup, it's perfect for recruiting in our state and immediate vicinity, speed speed speed, and this is where you come to find it.

Bothrops
01-22-2020, 04:43 PM
Thia is probably a great hire. This is a good pass defense.

Westdawg
01-22-2020, 04:45 PM
I used 3-3-5 packages on "money" downs - primarily downs of definite 3rd and long plays where we could cover and still have some nasty blitz packages....and the possibilities are seemingly endless for blitzes. But I struggled trying to get it to work as an every down defense. Well-coached OLs that used simple, effective zone blocking often chip away at these defenses with short methodical rushing plays. When we tried to implement a couple of places, we ended up reverting back to a 4-2-5. But I've seen guys coach it and it be lights out.

Santiago
01-22-2020, 04:45 PM

didn't Syracuse do that also the other day? ***

BrunswickDawg
01-22-2020, 04:48 PM
So, we essentially have the 2020 version of Jackie and Joe Lee? Sign me up!

FISHDAWG
01-22-2020, 04:51 PM
I'm excited about this hire .... right up until the opposition lights up our secondary.... not being cynical here but I've seen us torched back there too many times and now we are having fewer pass rushers ... IDK - maybe a lot more blitzing will help but that's not yet a given.... and I hope nobody takes this as a complaining / negative type post because I sure liked Joe Lee's style and it worked .... for a while anyway

ETA - sorry, was trying to respond to main thread instead of Bothrops

Percho
01-22-2020, 04:52 PM
yes you must have a monster playing the nose tackle position. think Jeffery simmons. you also have to have some beasts playing line backer and defensive end. you are counting on 6 guys beating the 5 up front. and your db's are big in run support. i ran the 3--3-5 once in high school. it was not the best for defending the run, but you must blitz to keep people off balance.

What about M Jackson?

KB21
01-22-2020, 04:57 PM

Close. We have what Jackie would have had if he had hired Mike Leach when he hired Joe Lee Dunn. I was at Mississippi State back then. We used to sit around shooting the breeze in between classes talking about how fun it would be to combine JLD’s defense with Hal Mumme’s offense.

Well, it’s happening. Arnett runs an iteration of the JLD defense, and Mike Leach runs a souped up Hal Mumme offense.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona-state/Article/Origin-story-of-the-3-3-5-defense-employed-by-ASU-and-SDSU-121859476/

This article details how Rocky Long learned this scheme from Joe Lee Dunn.

msstate7
01-22-2020, 04:57 PM
Is he a man-to-man or zone guy mostly in secondary?

preachermatt83
01-22-2020, 05:02 PM

Absolutely!!!

KB21
01-22-2020, 05:05 PM
Is he a man-to-man or zone guy mostly in secondary?

It’s a mix. That’s probably the biggest difference. JLD was man to man all the time, and he didn’t adjust. Rocky Long found ways to attack out of some more conservative appearing coverage shells.

Cloak
01-22-2020, 05:05 PM
Syracuse website article says they matched the offer, but he wanted to come to State instead.

KB21
01-22-2020, 05:06 PM
Man! What if Mike Leach ends up bringing on Joe Lee and Rocky as analysts?

BrunswickDawg
01-22-2020, 05:06 PM
Close. We have what Jackie would have had if he had hired Mike Leach when he hired Joe Lee Dunn. I was at Mississippi State back then. We used to sit around shooting the breeze in between classes talking about how fun it would be to combine JLD’s defense with Hal Mumme’s offense.

Well, it’s happening. Arnett runs an iteration of the JLD defense, and Mike Leach runs a souped up Hal Mumme offense.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona-state/Article/Origin-story-of-the-3-3-5-defense-employed-by-ASU-and-SDSU-121859476/

This article details how Rocky Long learned this scheme from Joe Lee Dunn.

One thing about Mississippi is it produces raw athletes. I think both Leach and Arnett's systems play to that - and are a very natural, uncomplicated approach to the game that raw athletes can excel in quickly. It gets our talent on the field and can put them in position to make plays.

RocketDawg
01-22-2020, 05:14 PM
Syracuse website article says they matched the offer, but he wanted to come to State instead.

I'd opt for an occasional flurry per year rather than 150 inches too. Those mid-day September games make make him think twice though.

Dawgfan77
01-22-2020, 05:27 PM
Man! What if Mike Leach ends up bringing on Joe Lee and Rocky as analysts?
Sad to say but I believe Joe Lee has Alzheimer's or dementia

Todd4State
01-22-2020, 05:35 PM

More like Mike Leach and young Joe Lee Dunn. Still would sign up. Going to be fun!

Extendedcab
01-22-2020, 05:37 PM
According to the news:

Arnett's 3-3-5 defense is a flexible, lesser-used scheme that Arnett first learned as a player under Rocky Long at New Mexico. Arnett was then hired by Long at SDSU in 2011 and worked his way up to defensive coordinator the last two seasons, leading a unit in 2019 that ranked in the top 10 nationally in seven categories. The Aztecs finished second in rushing defense (75.4 ypg), third in scoring defense (12.7 ppg), fourth in interceptions (18), fourth in first downs allowed (198), sixth in total defense (287.8 ypg), sixth in passing efficiency defense (110.25) and eighth in turnovers gained (27).

Really Clark?
01-22-2020, 05:41 PM
Arnett will make $900,000 per year on a 2 year contract. He will have Incentives as well

Offshore Dawg
01-22-2020, 05:51 PM
For a hiring process that started out as a cluster <17> the result appears to of turned out good.

msstate7
01-22-2020, 05:56 PM
For a hiring process that started out as a cluster <17> the result appears to of turned out good.

I'm excited about this guy. I would prefer newberry, but Arnet seems capable

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 06:01 PM
I'm excited about this guy. I would prefer newberry, but Arnet seems capable

I like the uniqueness of this guy's scheme but honestly I don't know enough about either to say which one I prefer.

Turfdawg67
01-22-2020, 06:17 PM
Really?? We can get speed and be real physical on D side of ball. Look at who we have in the league. That hasn't been a problem for us really as long as we keep recruiting like we have been.

Yes really. It?s like an announcer said once... ?Fletcher Cox is as good as any DL on Alabama. The problem is, Alabama has four Fletcher Cox?.

An absolute beast!!

1bigdawg
01-22-2020, 06:38 PM
Joe Lee believed he was playing 11 on 10, because the QB wouldn't run. He got lit up by mobile QBs. Arnett has obviously adapted and changed things up so that it is not a problem for his Ds.

Msujd164
01-22-2020, 06:43 PM
A lot of LSU fans wanted Arnett after Aranda left. You can see a lot in the last week saying he was their #1 hope to get

dawgday166
01-22-2020, 07:17 PM
Yes really. It?s like an announcer said once... ?Fletcher Cox is as good as any DL on Alabama. The problem is, Alabama has four Fletcher Cox?.

An absolute beast!!

Not a big thing but I disagree on Dline. Outside of 2011 and maybe 2014 Bama never had 4 Fletcher Cox's and even in those years they had maybe 2 at best.

Most years they're deeper than us on Dline but when we hold onto Mississippi dudes our 1 deep is usually pretty good. In 2018 our 2 deep was better/deeper than theirs or anyone else in the country too.

Where Bama kills us in recruiting more than anything is LBs and the backend. Not so much on Dline.

RocketDawg
01-22-2020, 07:27 PM

Anybody know what $ we had to shell out to get him?

ShotgunDawg
01-22-2020, 07:30 PM
Anybody know what $ we had to shell out to get him?

$900K with incentives

Spiderman
01-22-2020, 09:22 PM
Guys like Marcus Murphy, Janari Dean, and JP Purvis are going to thrive in this type of defense.

Speaking of which, anybody got any idea how Purvis is doing?

preachermatt83
01-22-2020, 09:49 PM

He will be a monster in this defense

R2Dawg
01-22-2020, 09:50 PM

Imagine Simmons, Sweat and Abram on this D, nasty.

I will say those Ds from 97-2000 among my favorite Ds of all time. We had some nasty DE in that era - Ed Smith, Greg Favors just to name a few.

R2Dawg
01-22-2020, 09:52 PM
Not a big thing but I disagree on Dline. Outside of 2011 and maybe 2014 Bama never had 4 Fletcher Cox's and even in those years they had maybe 2 at best.

Most years they're deeper than us on Dline but when we hold onto Mississippi dudes our 1 deep is usually pretty good. In 2018 our 2 deep was better/deeper than theirs or anyone else in the country too.

Where Bama kills us in recruiting more than anything is LBs and the backend. Not so much on Dline.

Agree with that for the most part. MSU has been dominant a lot of years on DL. Usually have one dominant LB not 3 like Bama.

maroonmania
01-22-2020, 10:14 PM
There is a Syracuse article from when arnett was hired that says rocky long actually did the game plan and called the defenses while arnett job was to make sure players lined up correctly and new their assignments. No idea if true, but interesting.

This is the only part that makes me a little hesitant to get overly excited about this hire. Will be interesting to see how Arnett performs out from under the umbrella of Long.

preachermatt83
01-23-2020, 08:40 AM

I honestly believe Purvis will be an all sec type player before it?s all said and done

bulldawg28
01-23-2020, 10:49 AM
Joe Lee believed he was playing 11 on 10, because the QB wouldn't run. He got lit up by mobile QBs. Arnett has obviously adapted and changed things up so that it is not a problem for his Ds.

Wrong. Being Mobile didn't matter. Joe Lee starting losing because there defense blitzed too often and didn't have the cover Guys on the outside to make the plays on the island he put them on.

tcdog70
01-23-2020, 11:02 AM
Wrong. Being Mobile didn't matter. Joe Lee starting losing because there defense blitzed too often and didn't have the cover Guys on the outside to make the plays on the island he put them on.

the problem Joe Lee had was our offense sucked and continually gave our opponents the ball on a short field. No defense will be effective with an offense that is pitiful. 3 and outs by the offense is the dagger to the heart of a good defense.

Spiderman
01-23-2020, 11:23 AM
I honestly believe Purvis will be an all sec type player before it?s all said and done

So he is recovered from the wreck?

Joebob
01-23-2020, 12:23 PM
Maybe, but the game is going more pass heavy.

I'd honestly much rather Bama & LSU run it anyway. Shortens the game & lowers the score.

That?s the spirit!

Tbonewannabe
01-24-2020, 07:41 AM

As far as NFL talent, Bama doesn't have the DLine in the league that collectively compare to Cox, Chris Jones, and Simmons. With Cox and Jones, MSU has probably 2 of the top 5 Dline in the NFL. Bama has zero. Simmons is also proving that he should have been a top 3 pick.

Tbonewannabe
01-24-2020, 07:50 AM
the problem Joe Lee had was our offense sucked and continually gave our opponents the ball on a short field. No defense will be effective with an offense that is pitiful. 3 and outs by the offense is the dagger to the heart of a good defense.

Partially agree but Joe Lee's defense had slipped into the 50s and 60s the last few years. Even the 2000 defense before we tried the band aid of the Northern Arizona Jucos was 53rd in scoring defense and 36th in Total defense. Joe Lee was slowly sinking every year before being let go in 2002.

dawgday166
01-24-2020, 07:52 AM
As far as NFL talent, Bama doesn't have the DLine in the league that collectively compare to Cox, Chris Jones, and Simmons. With Cox and Jones, MSU has probably 2 of the top 5 Dline in the NFL. Bama has zero. Simmons is also proving that he should have been a top 3 pick.

Absolutely agree. In 2011 and 2014 they had about 2 guys pretty close to Fletcher maybe, but I wouldn't say they were as good overall. They usually have deeper upper tier talent than we do tho.

Tbonewannabe
01-24-2020, 08:11 AM
Absolutely agree. In 2011 and 2014 they had about 2 guys pretty close to Fletcher maybe, but I wouldn't say they were as good overall. They usually have deeper upper tier talent than we do tho.

Dline is the only place where we have a top end talent advantage. Bama produces NFL LBs and safeties like it is their primary focus. We have about 1 LB every 2 or 3 years that would be in their 2 deep.

dawgday166
01-24-2020, 08:15 AM
Dline is the only place where we have a top end talent advantage. Bama produces NFL LBs and safeties like it is their primary focus. We have about 1 LB every 2 or 3 years that would be in their 2 deep.

Yep ... LBs, corners, and safeties are where they have a clear advantage pretty much every year. Hopefully we can keep recruiting and developing Dlinemen like we have and improve recruiting/development of LBs and backend too.