PDA

View Full Version : D'Eriq King to Miami

ShotgunDawg
01-19-2020, 11:14 AM
Good to see the transfer system work here.

Happy to see him not choose a blue blood.

Santiago
01-19-2020, 12:07 PM
Is there now a ? walking back? on that though?

Spiderman
01-19-2020, 12:13 PM

You don't consider THE U a blueblood?

msbulldog
01-19-2020, 12:19 PM

Used to be Blueblood, last time they were in the national contender conversation was 18 years ago.

BogeyGolfer
01-19-2020, 12:30 PM

I don't get all the love for King, I think he's a good QB and a decent passer. He will work well in a spread O similar to what Mullen runs, but I just don't get all of the other hype. Maybe he will prove me wrong, we will see...

KOdawg1
01-19-2020, 12:40 PM
I hope LSU doesn't target Costello now. I really like him.

RocketDawg
01-19-2020, 12:45 PM
Used to be Blueblood, last time they were in the national contender conversation was 18 years ago.

It happens. Prince Harry and Megan are no longer bluebloods. **

msstate7
01-19-2020, 12:59 PM

Is Michigan a blue blood?

ShotgunDawg
01-19-2020, 01:02 PM

I do not.

They don't compete in that space in recruiting and they don't have the booster network to extend their tentacles

I don't consider Nebraska or Penn State blue bloods either.

ShotgunDawg
01-19-2020, 01:04 PM

Good debate. They are the on the edge. At this very moment in time, I don't consider them a recruit hoarder or a threat to win the Natty.

HailStateSZN19
01-19-2020, 01:06 PM
I hope LSU doesn't target Costello now. I really like him.

Agree but I honestly feel like LSU isn’t going to be like a “slam dunk” get this transfer or that transfer now with Brady gone. They’ve lost a lot too, still got Chase and Marshall but they lost like 7-8 out of their starters on offense. Of course they’re still LSU & we’re not LSU-caliber (that’s not poor Ol MSU mindset, that’s just fact). But prior to the Burrow/Brady magic this year, LSU was where QB’s go to die basically. Now, we have one of the best sells to QB’s with Leach. I’m just hoping the pull of Leach and his track record with QB’s can win out with Costello.

msstate7
01-19-2020, 01:08 PM
Good debate. They are the on the edge. At this very moment in time, I don't consider them a recruit hoarder or a threat to win the Natty.

Michigan is a clear blue blood imo. They have a huge fanbase, tons of money, and they're a national brand. I think the only thing keeping them from being a national contender is the right coach; I thought wrongly that harbaugh was that guy.

msstate7
01-19-2020, 01:09 PM
Agree but I honestly feel like LSU isn’t going to be like a “slam dunk” get this transfer or that transfer now with Brady gone. They’ve lost a lot too, still got Chase and Marshall but they lost like 7-8 out of their starters on offense. Of course they’re still LSU & we’re not LSU-caliber (that’s not poor Ol MSU mindset, that’s just fact). But prior to the Burrow/Brady magic this year, LSU was where QB’s go to die basically. Now, we have one of the best sells to QB’s with Leach. I’m just hoping the pull of Leach and his track record with QB’s can win out with Costello.

We want no part of a head-to-head with LSU.

starkvegasdawg
01-19-2020, 01:12 PM

Maybe differentiate between a traditional blue blood and current blue blood.

HailStateSZN19
01-19-2020, 01:14 PM

Consistently going head to head for recruits well absolutely I agree with that 100%. But 1 QB transfer with Leach being the one making the pitch to him? I don’t necessarily think it’d be a “slam dunk” sure thing he’d choose LSU. I may be ignorant and wrong saying that but LSU just lost their magic man in Brady. We brought in our guy who sprinkles fairy dust on QB’s and they throw for 4,500+ yards. Maybe the kid does want to go to the better overall program in LSU, or maybe he wants to sling it 50 times per game for Leach. Who knows. I’m holding out hope they just don’t even go after him but if they do, I still wouldn’t think it’s a 100% sure thing he’d immediately pick LSU.

msstate7
01-19-2020, 01:19 PM
Consistently going head to head for recruits well absolutely I agree with that 100%. But 1 QB transfer with Leach being the one making the pitch to him? I don’t necessarily think it’d be a “slam dunk” sure thing he’d choose LSU. I may be ignorant and wrong saying that but LSU just lost their magic man in Brady. We brought in our guy who sprinkles fairy dust on QB’s and they throw for 4,500+ yards. Maybe the kid does want to go to the better overall program in LSU, or maybe he wants to sling it 50 times per game for Leach. Who knows. I’m holding out hope they just don’t even go after him but if they do, I still wouldn’t think it’s a 100% sure thing he’d immediately pick LSU.

Chase and Marshall at WR...

msudawg1200
01-19-2020, 01:23 PM

Just two years ago they were ranked number two going into the last game of the season.

HailStateSZN19
01-19-2020, 01:26 PM
Chase and Marshall at WR...

I admit that’s the one single thing on-the-field wise that would worry me is the fact that they have a 1st rounder and probably a 2nd rounder at WR next season. They lose a ton up front on the OL. Lose their starting RB and their starting TE. Again, the most important thing here is losing Brady. I wish we could grab a couple solid WR’s in the portal to help matters out if that were to be a concern to any potential transfer QB’s but there’s just not a ton of solid options in there right now. I just don’t underestimate Leach’s ability to sell a recruit on his track record and offensive system. I think he levels things out going against some of the bigger programs, especially one like LSU who has lost their magical coach in Brady but like you said they have a couple studs at WR to sell but honestly that’s about it at the moment for them. They don’t have a stud QB coach to sell him right now that if he comes in, Coach XYZ will coach him up and improve his game. But I definitely agree with your points. I’m not completely disagreeing with you. I just think Leach is a pretty big equalizer for us and pursuing big time transfer QB’s or at least I’m hoping.

chef dixon
01-19-2020, 01:39 PM
Burrow had 2 years. Huge difference. If he was a grad transfer and only played 2018 he may be getting ready for the XFL as we speak.

King is not the same type of player and will go to wilt away to irrelevance under Manny Diaz.

ShotgunDawg
01-19-2020, 01:41 PM
Michigan is a clear blue blood imo. They have a huge fanbase, tons of money, and they're a national brand. I think the only thing keeping them from being a national contender is the right coach; I thought wrongly that harbaugh was that guy.

I think Michigan is a media blue blood but not real blue blood. 1 national title in 60+ years and that was shared with a far superior Nebraska team.

Their talent just doesn't stack up and who are they going to find better than Harbaugh?

If it takes a coach superior to Harbaugh to win then you're not a blue blood.

Hell, we'd all be blue bloods if all we need is a coach better than Harbaugh

timotheus
01-19-2020, 02:06 PM
Burrow had 2 years. Huge difference. If he was a grad transfer and only played 2018 he may be getting ready for the XFL as we speak.

King is not the same type of player and will go to wilt away to irrelevance under Manny Diaz.

Who has Manny hired at OC?

TUSK
01-19-2020, 02:18 PM
I think "blue blood" is a dog whistle term for "successful"...

I feel so marginalized....**************************

dawgday166
01-19-2020, 04:08 PM
I think Michigan is a media blue blood but not real blue blood. 1 national title in 60+ years and that was shared with a far superior Nebraska team.

Their talent just doesn't stack up and who are they going to find better than Harbaugh?

If it takes a coach superior to Harbaugh to win then you're not a blue blood.

Hell, we'd all be blue bloods if all we need is a coach better than Harbaugh

Michigan has more wins all-time than any team. They're a blue blood. Ohio St. is #2.

Miami maybe is sorta a blue blood but not an original one. Them and FSU since 1980 or so. Same with Florida.

But I consider blue bloods anyone that has the long term history to go along with it and has sustained it. Michigan hasn't fallen off the map nowhere near close enough to have lost blue blood status.

ShotgunDawg
01-19-2020, 04:10 PM
But I consider blue bloods anyone that has the long term history to go along with it and has sustained it. Michigan hasn't fallen off the map nowhere near close enough to have lost blue blood status.

I kinda of agree, but they're on tier 2 nationally in talent & recruiting over the past 30 years

dawgday166
01-19-2020, 04:17 PM
I kinda of agree, but they're on tier 2 nationally in talent & recruiting over the past 30 years

Them, Ohio St., USC, and Texas were competing for Nattys in early 2000s. Those are 4 blue bloods right there. Then SEC took over. You have Bama, LSU then 2 non-blue bloods in FL & AU thrown in. I kinda consider LSU a blue blood even tho they are marginal as a blue blood. TN ... sorta same way. Bama is really the only without-a-doubt blue blood from SEC IMO.

ETA: And Michigan is still recuiting in top 10 or so every year currently.

msstate7
01-19-2020, 04:35 PM

If you base it solely on talent, Miami is a blue blood then... only 3 programs have more players in the nfl right now. Here's the top 10 programs as far as current nfl players...

1. Bama
2. Ohio st
3. Florida
4. Miami
5. LSU
6. FSU
7. Oklahoma
8. Georgia
9. Penn st
10. aTm

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2019-09-03/colleges-most-represented-2019-nfl-rosters

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-19-2020, 06:12 PM

Geezus I can see it now....Costelleaux...dammit

Spiderman
01-19-2020, 07:53 PM

Alabama went about 12 years without a natty and were still a blue blood. Miami is a sleeping monster. They have done horribly managing that program.

Clemson went almost 30 between nattys.

Penn State is a blue blood. Michagan is. USC is. Florida is. Florida State is. They are among the very few that can win nattys without a lot of luck. LSU is also a blue blood. Texas is a blue blood. Run right, all those programs should be Top 10 teams every year.

I'll die on this hill.

dawgday166
01-19-2020, 08:00 PM
Alabama went about 12 years without a natty and were still a blue blood. Miami is a sleeping monster. They have done horribly managing that program.

Penn State is a blue blood. Michagan is. USC is. Florida is. Florida State is. They are among the very few that can win nattys without a lot of luck. LSU is also a blue blood. Texas is a blue blood. Run right, all those programs should be Top 10 teams every year.

I'll die on this hill.

I'll buy all that myself. You probably could categorize blue bloods into 2 categories. Charter members and Latecomers. That's sorta the way I think about it. I would classify PSU, FSU, FL, and Miami as the late comers ... not part of original membership.

TUSK
01-19-2020, 09:15 PM

I'll die on this hill.

No.

You won't.

TUSK
01-19-2020, 09:17 PM
I'll buy all that myself. You probably could categorize blue bloods into 2 categories. Charter members and Latecomers. That's sorta the way I think about it. I would classify PSU, FSU, FL, and Miami as the late comers ... not part of original membership.

I wouldn't consider PSU in the same category of "late comer" as the Florida schools...

Bothrops
01-20-2020, 12:59 AM
If you consider Miami a blue blood, you might as well throw Pittsburgh in there.

Spiderman
01-20-2020, 08:22 AM
If you consider Miami a blue blood, you might as well throw Pittsburgh in there.

UHH, what?

msstate7
01-20-2020, 08:40 AM
King says Miami isn't done deal. Still talking to ark, Maryland, and LSU

timotheus
01-20-2020, 08:46 AM
That's what I'm talking about. Now the ca$h is starting to move around.

msstate7
01-20-2020, 08:49 AM
That's what I'm talking about. Now the ca$h is starting to move around.

Hope LSU gets him, and they don't go after Costello. We aren't beating LSU either way

StarkVegasSteve
01-20-2020, 05:26 PM
I think LSU will probably go after Chase Brice. It's obvious they have no faith in Myles Brennan. They're bringing in two QBs in this class and have Peter Parrish from last year, who they're really high on. I could see them going all in on a guy who has two years left and then letting Parrish and the two QBs from this class develop for a couple of more years and see if they're ready in 2022. If not, they'll just go back to the portal.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-20-2020, 05:33 PM
Hope LSU gets him, and they don't go after Costello. We aren't beating LSU either way

I'm not scared of LSU. Brady & his magic are gone.

BrunswickDawg
01-20-2020, 05:46 PM

I'll die on this hill.

I think any school that you can say only needs the right hire to put them in the hunt for NC's is a blue blood. All those schools you listed have the money, fan base, the track record of success, and talent in their recruiting pool to become a contender. But, some coaches or schools just can't get there for whatever reason. UGA is a great example. They have every advantage known to man and haven't won it in 40 years - and it took arguably the greatest college football player in history to get that one for them.

Coursesuper
01-20-2020, 05:52 PM
I think LSU will probably go after Chase Brice. It's obvious they have no faith in Myles Brennan. They're bringing in two QBs in this class and have Peter Parrish from last year, who they're really high on. I could see them going all in on a guy who has two years left and then letting Parrish and the two QBs from this class develop for a couple of more years and see if they're ready in 2022. If not, they'll just go back to the portal.

Myles is the reason that LSU is looking for the next guy, he's not the one to get it done at LSU.

msstate7
01-20-2020, 07:30 PM

We will be a big under dog at LSU next season

Ifyouonlyknew
01-20-2020, 07:34 PM

I was referring to the recruitment of Costello.

ShotgunDawg
01-20-2020, 07:37 PM

Likely but LSU will be fascinating.

Not sure any school in history will have had more turnover.

Yes they'll be talented but that talent has not played much and they could be more vulnerable on defense with Aranda gone.

I don't know what to expect from them next year except their uniform colors.

Spiderman
01-20-2020, 07:38 PM
I think any school that you can say only needs the right hire to put them in the hunt for NC's is a blue blood. All those schools you listed have the money, fan base, the track record of success, and talent in their recruiting pool to become a contender. But, some coaches or schools just can't get there for whatever reason. UGA is a great example. They have every advantage known to man and haven't won it in 40 years - and it took arguably the greatest college football player in history to get that one for them.

Yep, Kirby is a decent coach, but he hasn't been elite because he still has 80's 90's mentality offensively.

Looks like Coach O coming into the 21st century and winning in one year has proven to Kirby that he has been wrong. He has hired some modern offense. Now, will he turn em loose like O, or cling to the "right way"?

DEDawg
01-20-2020, 07:39 PM
Franks to UPig. Didn't really see that one coming but guess it makes sense

Coach34
01-20-2020, 07:44 PM

Yep. He took his pass offense with him and they cant run it anymore. He even made them hand in the playbooks, practice film, and game film of what they did. He took it all

Coursesuper
01-20-2020, 08:00 PM
Yep. He took his pass offense with him and they cant run it anymore. He even made them hand in the playbooks, practice film, and game film of what they did. He took it all

Yep, I don't understand the he's gone so they take a step back. It's not like they will forget the concepts he brought with him. Now they may take a step,back because they lost the perfect QB for the system but, they can still block it up pretty well and have plenty of kids that can go get when it's in the air.

ShotgunDawg
01-20-2020, 08:13 PM
Yep, I don't understand the he's gone so they take a step back. It's not like they will forget the concepts he brought with him. Now they may take a step,back because they lost the perfect QB for the system but, they can still block it up pretty well and have plenty of kids that can go get when it's in the air.

It'll be interesting to see if those still there can manipulate the system.

There is not doubt that DCs will spend the off season scheming for that offense. So it's going to take some adjustments next year. Especially with almost completely new personnel

Coach34
01-20-2020, 08:19 PM
Steve Ensminger was a college QB and didnt run the damn wishbone. He understands offense. To think he wasnt instrumental in helping their offense transition is lunacy.

I'm a triple option guy background-wise that was running 5-wide this year by midseason because my best players on offense were the QB and WRs. We set school records on offense. Good coaches adapt to what they have and what they learn

ShotgunDawg
01-20-2020, 08:23 PM
Steve Ensminger was a college QB and didnt run the damn wishbone. He understands offense. To think he wasnt instrumental in helping their offense transition is lunacy.

I'm a triple option guy background-wise that was running 5-wide this year by midseason because my best players on offense were the QB and WRs. We set school records on offense. Good coaches adapt to what they have and what they learn

No doubt, but why weren't they any good on offense until Brady came?

When Emsminger ran the offense alone they were meh. Hopefully he took notes

Coach34
01-20-2020, 08:36 PM
No doubt, but why weren't they any good on offense until Brady came?

When Emsminger ran the offense alone they were meh. Hopefully he took notes

Offense is about what you commit to. Ensminger was committed to the run 1st as an OC. Brady coming in brought in the idea of being married to the pass first because of all the talent at WR. The concepts will stay in BR and they will be good on offense again.

ShotgunDawg
01-20-2020, 08:37 PM
Offense is about what you commit to. Ensminger was committed to the run 1st as an OC. Brady coming in brought in the idea of being married to the pass first because of all the talent at WR. The concepts will stay in BR and they will be good on offense again.

perhaps. I hope he took notes

BrunswickDawg
01-20-2020, 10:33 PM
Yep, Kirby is a decent coach, but he hasn't been elite because he still has 80's 90's mentality offensively.

Looks like Coach O coming into the 21st century and winning in one year has proven to Kirby that he has been wrong. He has hired some modern offense. Now, will he turn em loose like O, or cling to the "right way"?

Their fans are even more insane about RTDFB than ours.

msstate7
01-20-2020, 10:35 PM
Their fans are even more insane about RTDFB than ours.

I think he just killed it hiring monken

TUSK
01-21-2020, 02:42 AM
Ban The Forward Pass....

dammit

BrunswickDawg
01-21-2020, 08:47 AM
I think he just killed it hiring monken

I thought that was a good hire too.