PDA

View Full Version : Why Mike Leach to SEC, Mississippi State?

BhamDawg205
01-18-2020, 12:41 PM
A good read, didn't know Lincoln Riley was one of Leach's disciples.
https://oklahoman.com/article/5652633/why-mike-leach-to-sec-mississippi-state-is-this-years-most-interesting-coaching-move

ShotgunDawg
01-18-2020, 01:03 PM
Can’t read it. Can you copy paste?

Dogbone
01-18-2020, 01:04 PM
Good article!:cool:

BhamDawg205
01-18-2020, 01:08 PM
Why Mike Leach to SEC, Mississippi State is this year's most interesting coaching move

Driving through the Flint Hills of Kansas, the news came across the car radio.

Tennessee had fired its football coach.

It was a Sunday. Nov. 12, 2017. The day before, Scott Wright and I had covered Oklahoma State?s game at Iowa State, and as we headed home the next morning, we heard about Butch Jones' firing. Tennessee was a wreck, and Scott and I started talking about who might take over.

First was Mike Gundy; the Cowboy coach played footsie with the Vols before.

But my pick was Mike Leach. I always wanted to see how he'd fare in the SEC as a head coach.

Now, we get that chance.

Leach is the new coach at Mississippi State. As the coaching carousel slows ? Baylor choosing LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda may well be the last major-college hire this year ? no head coaching move is more interesting than Leach?s.

The only one that's close happens to be in the same state. Who isn?t going to be watching how things go with Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss?

But Leach at Mississippi State will be absolutely fascinating.

The reason?

His offense.

Oklahomans are keenly aware of the Air Raid since Leach was Bob Stoops? first offensive coordinator in 1999. Leach not only brought the offense to Norman but also had such success that when Stoops wanted to pump life back into his offense 16 years later, he went and hired a Leach disciple, Lincoln Riley.

The offense has been a boon in Norman, but it?s continued to serve Leach pretty well, too.

In 18 seasons as head coach, his overall record is 139-90. That might not get Leach, 58, into the College Football Hall of Fame, but then again, it might. He is 49 games over .500 even though his head-coaching stops consist of Texas Tech and Washington State.

Neither is in the top half of their conference.

Winning that many games in those two programs? You might never be able to find another coach who could match what Leach did.

It?s because of his offense. It doesn?t require a bunch of four- and five-star recruits, and that comes in handy in places like Lubbock, Texas, and Pullman, Washington.

Sure, he needs certain skills to make his Air Raid work. His quarterback, for example, has to be able to see the entire field, read defenses and make adjustments. Being able to get the ball where it needs to go is crucial with a premium on accuracy.

Leach won a lot of games with a lot of teams that had a fraction of their opponent?s talent. That?s why I?ve always wanted to see what he could do with SEC talent.

Now, Mississippi State isn?t going to get as many great players as the blue bloods, but Leach should have as much talent in Starkville as any of his head-coaching stops. The pool of talent is deepest in the South, so even if Leach doesn?t get those four- and five-star recruits, the two- and three-star guys will be better than the ones he?s had in the past.

The sad thing is, Leach?s offense won?t be as foreign in the SEC today as it would?ve been once upon a time. In the past few years, teams moved away from 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offenses and starting throwing it around a lot more. Even Alabama does it now.

Leach?s Air Raid will still be a different animal, but it would?ve been like aliens landing a few years ago.

That?s why I was hoping Leach would get the Tennessee job a couple years ago. Truth is, I knew it wasn?t going to happen. Even though Leach could?ve won there, he couldn?t have worked there.

Tennessee is a button-down place.
Leach isn?t a button-down coach.

He happened to be on Al Eschbach?s radio show Thursday night. Leach talked about team mascots. Music. Writing books. But he spent the most time talking about a rift with a newspaper columnist that bubbled over this past season. After a game, Leach called him a sanctimonious troll, and Thursday, Leach said the columnist was ?a total frontrunner? and ?pointless anyway.?

It was fascinating radio.

But then you step back and remember Leach isn?t some fan calling in to poke fun. He?s a major-college head coach.

He doesn?t always play well with others, and that doesn?t play well at blue-blood programs like Tennessee. Even Florida and Texas A&M, places that also had head-coach openings a couple years ago, are probably too straight-laced for Leach.

Mississippi State, though, is a good fit. It?s a smaller university in an out-of-the-way place everyone there calls StarkVegas. It?s an outlier trying to upend the hierarchy of the SEC. It sees itself as a renegade.

So does Mike Leach.

Can't wait to see The Pirate navigate the SEC seas.

OLJWales
01-18-2020, 01:34 PM
More Wool. I had to go back and click again for it to pull up.

ShotgunDawg
01-18-2020, 01:59 PM
We got 2 star recruits huh?

We recruit in the top 25. Hard to understand why so few people seem to be able to look that up

BhamDawg205
01-18-2020, 02:13 PM
I want a top 20 class for optics, but MS our main recruiting ground has always been under evaluated. This has work in our favor also, keeping the blue bloods away. I'm more geeked about how much influence Leach had and still does on Oklahoma's offense. We've always for the most part played stout defense. Hopefully we get the best of both worlds with Leach.

Gutter Cobreh
01-18-2020, 02:33 PM

We recruit in the top 25. Hard to understand why so few people seem to be able to look that up

I believe the author was simply stating the 2* and 3* players in the South are better than the equivalent in the other parts of the country. It's the same thing we all say about FL. A FL 3* is probably the same as a MS 4*.

Jack Lambert
01-18-2020, 06:44 PM
I am tired of hearing about two stars when talking about Miss State.

ShotgunDawg
01-18-2020, 06:48 PM

Yeah, it's just simply an ignorant narrative that's factually incorrect.

Todd4State
01-18-2020, 06:50 PM
My only problem with it is he has the perception that all we get is two and three stars. Hell when is the last time we singed a two star?

Doesn't really matter. The fact of the matter is we recruit more talent than Washington State and Texas Tech meaning Leach has a higher ceiling here. At the same time we don't recruit as well rankings wise as Alabama, LSU, Auburn, or Georgia.

So we're in a tier below the blue bloods and that's not going to change anytime soon but we're also a tier above or at the rest of our competition. With a coach like Leach there is a really good chance we could win big because he has the ability to beat teams with more talent sometimes and the ability to beat people with the same amount or worse talent as well. His offense and coaching ability probably tilts thing in our advantage against teams with similar talent like Kentucky honestly.

Pretty excited to think about. And now he's about to hire a good DC who has similar traits on that side of the ball. And think about this- we're going to have Leach, a Broyles semi-finalist at DC that is known for creative defenses with service academy talent and a Broyles semi-finalist as our ST coach. Talk about upgrading.

maroonmania
01-18-2020, 08:20 PM

These days, if you sign with an SEC school you are automatically a 3 star. So the 2 star angle is really a moot point. I also didn't realize that we are such renegades.

R2Dawg
01-18-2020, 09:08 PM

Me too. Media's favorite talking point for MSU. They can take their 2 stars where the sun don't shine; observe all our NFL players.

Skydawg1
01-18-2020, 09:33 PM
Doesn't really matter. The fact of the matter is we recruit more talent than Washington State and Texas Tech meaning Leach has a higher ceiling here. At the same time we don't recruit as well rankings wise as Alabama, LSU, Auburn, or Georgia.

So we're in a tier below the blue bloods and that's not going to change anytime soon but we're also a tier above or at the rest of our competition. With a coach like Leach there is a really good chance we could win big because he has the ability to beat teams with more talent sometimes and the ability to beat people with the same amount or worse talent as well. His offense and coaching ability probably tilts thing in our advantage against teams with similar talent like Kentucky honestly.

Pretty excited to think about. And now he's about to hire a good DC who has similar traits on that side of the ball. And think about this- we're going to have Leach, a Broyles semi-finalist at DC that is known for creative defenses with service academy talent and a Broyles semi-finalist as our ST coach. Talk about upgrading.Yep, I like where we are in the pecking order. And lets not forget, only 3 seasons ago, we took the champs to the woodshed. (yeah, flash in the pan champs but still)

dawgday166
01-19-2020, 09:00 AM

Well ... I think both BMac and Preston Smith were 2 stars. Taveze Calhoun was. Jameson Love might have been. Kendrick Market was.

After that year Scout wouldn't give a Mullen recruit a 2* rating for the most part, although I think Jenkins was till he committed to MSU.