PDA

View Full Version : Background on Newberry

confucius say
01-18-2020, 11:40 AM
Somebody can do a deep dive and post more links, but here is a little start.

https://navysports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/brian-newberry/645

https://navysports.com/news/2019/11/26/football-navy-defensive-coordinator-brian-newberry-named-a-semifinalist-for-the-broyles-award.aspx

CadaverDawg
01-18-2020, 12:01 PM
Very good defensive stats. I love the turnovers and sacks numbers. Hope it translates to the SEC, bc he doesn't have much high level experience

AFDawg
01-18-2020, 12:19 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/29/navy-found-right-guy-fix-its-defense-now-mids-eye-army-spot-aac-title-game/

Bark
01-18-2020, 12:39 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/29/navy-found-right-guy-fix-its-defense-now-mids-eye-army-spot-aac-title-game/

Sounds like a great hire. He looks like a bad ass to boot.

Todd4State
01-18-2020, 01:35 PM
Newberry is a slightly less experienced version of Jay Bateman who was my personal number one pick. I would be fine with Newberry though. The guy is the real deal and I think his scheme gives us an advantage on defense to overcome any talent deficiencies that we may have. And it will be fun to watch like Leach's offense. Navy IMO has a more difficult schedule than Army and Newberry was able to stop a K-State offense with less talent more than Shoop did with more talent.

Gutter Cobreh
01-18-2020, 01:58 PM

Thanks for posting this article.

I specifically liked this part:

After posting a 3-10 record in 2018, Navy’s 12th-year coach combed the country looking for a coordinator who could bring to life his vision of a defense that was flexible yet solid, that could baffle opponents yet could be realistically explained and installed in a few months and that would be effective against the option offenses used by Air Force and Army.

Seems like Leach and Newberry have similar approaches in regards to simple concepts that can be taught and absorbed easily. Yet both have the ability to disguise and look more complicated than they truly are.

dawgday166
01-18-2020, 02:41 PM
Seems like it might be real good hire. I really like 4-2-5 as a base D.

Todd4State
01-18-2020, 02:42 PM
Seems like it might be real good hire. I really like 4-2-5 as a base D.

With our personnel it should be a lot easier to transition to that than 3-4 or 3-3-5 I'll say that for sure.

FriarsPoint
01-18-2020, 02:43 PM
I think we just hit an under the radar home run.

Commercecomet24
01-18-2020, 02:47 PM
Navy's defense was very aggressive and disciplined. Very good hire.

MarketingBully
01-18-2020, 02:49 PM
Coach Leach has a touch with assistants. I trust his track record. For instance little known DCs that got their start under him: Grinch, McNeil, Aranda. Just to name a few. Leach has had eight assistants that were under him become head coaches.

Todd4State
01-18-2020, 02:52 PM

And has a history of doing more with less. Navy was dreadful the year before he came.

chef dixon
01-18-2020, 04:43 PM

Yea and their conference was all offense. Impressive job by Newberry

Commercecomet24
01-18-2020, 05:16 PM
Yea and their conference was all offense. Impressive job by Newberry

Exactly. He coached against a lot of high scoring and fast paced offenses last year and did a great job stopping them. That was after taking over an absolutely terrible navy defense from the year before. I like the fact he likes to attack but his defenses also play disciplined in their responsibilities i.e. not getting caught out of position, maintaining gap responsibilities etc.

BrunswickDawg
01-18-2020, 05:20 PM
Good friend of mine was DC at Baylor when Newberry was a player. Speaks very highly of him

Mobile Bay
01-18-2020, 06:01 PM
My only question about him is this. Just by getting into the Naval Academy you must be a disciplined squared away young man. So the coaches there don't have to instill discipline in the players. Our team, not so much right now. Can he instill discipline when it isn't there naturally?

BrunswickDawg
01-18-2020, 06:58 PM
My only question about him is this. Just by getting into the Naval Academy you must be a disciplined squared away young man. So the coaches there don't have to instill discipline in the players. Our team, not so much right now. Can he instill discipline when it isn't there naturally?

Kids at Kennesaw definitely do not meet those standards and he seemed to do pretty good with them.

Todd4State
01-18-2020, 07:48 PM

I think there is military discipline and there is football discipline and those two aren't the same things. Despite their well earned reputations I've definitely seen some Army and Navy teams that weren't very disciplined football teams.

Spiderman
01-18-2020, 08:22 PM

Coaching is coaching. He has always seemed to do it as a DC

Jarius
01-19-2020, 12:11 AM
I think there is military discipline and there is football discipline and those two aren't the same things. Despite their well earned reputations I've definitely seen some Army and Navy teams that weren't very disciplined football teams.

Like the one Navy fielded the year prior to his arrival.

maroonmania
01-19-2020, 09:25 AM
He sounds like a good hire. Only potential concern is only one year of experience coaching in the FBS. Seems to have brought an instant significant upgrade to the Navy defense.

smootness
01-19-2020, 02:14 PM

He was at Navy for one year, it's not like that's all he knows.

And discipline is primarily Leach's job.

dawgday166
01-20-2020, 09:19 AM
Newberry is a slightly less experienced version of Jay Bateman who was my personal number one pick. I would be fine with Newberry though. The guy is the real deal and I think his scheme gives us an advantage on defense to overcome any talent deficiencies that we may have. And it will be fun to watch like Leach's offense. Navy IMO has a more difficult schedule than Army and Newberry was able to stop a K-State offense with less talent more than Shoop did with more talent.

Watching a video where he says he worked with Jay Bateman at Elon. Calls Jay a tremendous coach that he still keeps in touch with.