PDA

View Full Version : Scott Lashley in the Portal

Pinto
01-17-2020, 03:56 PM
Bring him home
https://twitter.com/Brett_Hudson/status/1218274728026296323

KOdawg1
01-17-2020, 03:58 PM
Meh. If we bring him in, fine. I'm fine going the other way too though. He had his chance

Matt3467
01-17-2020, 03:59 PM
What a dumb decision for him to go there in the first place. He should've come here but he shunned us so I don't care where he goes.

Lord McBuckethead
01-17-2020, 04:10 PM
How many years does he have left?

KOdawg1
01-17-2020, 04:11 PM
If Lashley wasn't from West Point, no one would want him.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-17-2020, 04:14 PM
Bring him home
https://twitter.com/Brett_Hudson/status/1218274728026296323

Why? Can he play? Is he any good or he's just from West Point?

quickstrike2
01-17-2020, 04:14 PM
I don't see the upside of bringing him in if he wanted to come to State. Very little game time experience and will be a senior. One day these guys will learn.

Johnson85
01-17-2020, 04:19 PM
What a dumb decision for him to go there in the first place. He should've come here but he shunned us so I don't care where he goes.

I don't care that he shunned us. If he can help us enough to justify using a scholarship on his one year of eligibility, great. I sort of doubt that's the case, but if it were the case, I don't care that he made a stupid decision when he was 18.

KentuckyDawg13
01-17-2020, 04:26 PM
Hevesy recruited him, don't blame him.

gtowndawg
01-17-2020, 04:26 PM
I don't know the guy of he can help, but if there was a time to bring him in it would be now. He will have to learn the new offense just like every other lineman on the roster. Everyone is starting equal anyway is my point.

deadheaddawg
01-17-2020, 04:30 PM
If he can help us, then get him. I am not holding some silly grudge over a decision a high school student made a couple of years ago. Its beyond stupid to dismiss him because "he had his chance" or the he "shunned" us. He was a high school kid for god's sake

I hope leach gets him if he wants him. If not, then pass him by.

GoDawgz
01-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Just another kid that realized the big name blue blood school doesnt always mean big opportunity. If he can help the team, give him a shot.

OLJWales
01-17-2020, 05:00 PM
If he can help us, then get him. I am not holding some silly grudge over a decision a high school student made a couple of years ago. Its beyond stupid to dismiss him because "he had his chance" or the he "shunned" us. He was a high school kid for god's sake

I hope leach gets him if he wants him. If not, then pass him by.

Yep.

Walkerhill
01-17-2020, 05:27 PM
Automatic take. Easy decision.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-17-2020, 05:29 PM
If we take him cool. We just have no clue if he can play or not. We can't take him & then say well that solves our RT question. We just don't know.

Coursesuper
01-17-2020, 05:36 PM
If we take him cool. We just have no clue if he can play or not. We can't take him & then say well that solves our RT question. We just don't know.

Yes, who knows, he's got one season left bring him on board. We have room, if he isn't better than one of our younger ones so be it he's decent depth at worse.

KOdawg1
01-17-2020, 05:38 PM
This is where I'm at. If this was a kid from Tennessee, no one would care. But bc he's in our backyard, our fans automatically want him. I'm fine if he can contribute immediately. Nothing he's done shows he can.

HancockCountyDog
01-17-2020, 05:42 PM
I can?t imagine him fitting our offense.

I?d rather roll with a young guy that Leach can develop.

Todd4State
01-17-2020, 06:00 PM
I'd take him. I don't know if he's "the answer" but I do know that Eiland's feet suck and I can even obviously see that. At least we would have another option.

And maybe he would be here if Hevesy put forth some effort. Some of these comments sound like a guy that's mad that a girl he liked went out with another guy because we didn't ask first and now that it didn't work out with the other guy- screw her.

TUSK
01-17-2020, 06:26 PM
I'd take him. I don't know if he's "the answer" but I do know that Eiland's feet suck and I can even obviously see that. At least we would have another option.

And maybe he would be here if Hevesy put forth some effort. Some of these comments sound like a guy that's mad that a girl he liked went out with another guy because we didn't ask first and now that it didn't work out with the other guy- screw her.

Yeah, I've seen enough of both Eiland and Lashley to know who I'd want on the OL...

If the dude can start (likely), or provide depth (definitely), ya gotta forgive and forget.

msu15
01-17-2020, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I've seen enough of both Eiland and Lashley to know who I'd want on the OL...

If the dude can start (likely), or provide depth (definitely), ya gotta forgive and forget.

Thanks for wasting another kid from Mississippi's career, ****ing jerks

Walkerhill
01-17-2020, 06:30 PM

Eiland will be fine after an off-season of S&C with a different focus and a few visits to Leach?s Beach.

I am willing to make a modest bet he gets at least a look at an NFL training camp, either as a late draft pick or UFA

Bothrops
01-17-2020, 06:37 PM
Southern Miss or UAB

Todd4State
01-17-2020, 06:39 PM
Eiland will be fine after an off-season of S&C with a different focus and a few visits to Leach?s Beach.

I am willing to make a modest bet he gets at least a look at an NFL training camp, either as a late draft pick or UFA

Maybe as a guard or something. That may be a stretch.

ShotgunDawg
01-17-2020, 06:43 PM
- Lashley may or may not be any good

- I'll leave that evaluation up to Leach since he knows a hell of lot more about what type of athletes are needed for this scheme than I do

- I think some here are thinking he isn't any good because he didn't play at Bama. Just because he didn't start over some NFL prospects does not mean he can't help us.

- he's played enough at Bama that we likely have enough film to get a good idea as to whether or not he can help us

Cooterpoot
01-17-2020, 07:07 PM
We don't need Lashley. He can walk the 17 on if he wants to attempt to play here.

Homedawg
01-17-2020, 07:07 PM
Automatic take. Easy decision.

Comical.

ShotgunDawg
01-17-2020, 07:23 PM
We don't need Lashley. He can walk the 17 on if he wants to attempt to play here.

I'll let Leach decide that

Cooterpoot
01-17-2020, 07:27 PM
I'll let Leach decide that

Leach has no interest. He's only taking a couple more OL and a guy here riding the pine for one year is pointless. Lashley was never an SEC football.

dawgoneyall
01-17-2020, 07:29 PM
No.

BuckyIsAB****
01-17-2020, 07:31 PM
Idk if I would take him but him and Cole Smith would be quality depth at least

Cooterpoot
01-17-2020, 07:34 PM
We're keeping at least one HS OL warm while we see what Spencer does. We can pull the other HS. You're going to see some big, long, OL with leach. No more road grating guys.

BuckyIsAB****
01-17-2020, 07:45 PM
We're keeping at least one HS OL warm while we see what Spencer does. We can pull the other HS. You're going to see some big, long, OL with leach. No more road grating guys.

Spencer played DL for 3 years then grated roads his SR year for MC. He has never pass blocked

BuckyIsAB****
01-17-2020, 07:46 PM
But I would 100 percent take him he is nasty. Leach gets a hard on for mean OL

RougeDawg
01-17-2020, 08:09 PM
Hopefully a MSU coaching staff will use these stories to our benefit in recruiting. One day.

Todd4State
01-17-2020, 08:15 PM
Hopefully a MSU coaching staff will use these stories to our benefit in recruiting. One day.

Almost worth it to take him and use him as a reference. It would especially carry more weight if he comes here and is successful.

Sad thing is there are a ton of guys that couldn't correct their mistake with the transfer portal.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-17-2020, 10:38 PM
If Lashley wasn't from West Point, no one would want him.

BS if he was from anywhere else people would go straight to his 247 and see he was a four star and being a transfer from Bama would probably want him more.

Cooterpoot
01-17-2020, 11:15 PM
But I would 100 percent take him he is nasty. Leach gets a hard on for mean OL

Spencer is a raw OL with a lot of ability who blew up at the all star game. Lashley was content riding the pine until his last year. He can come ride our pine too though.

Homedawg
01-17-2020, 11:23 PM
He is a sr. One to play one, he might can help and might not. He's not an instant starter

KOdawg1
01-17-2020, 11:25 PM
BS if he was from anywhere else people would go straight to his 247 and see he was a four star and being a transfer from Bama would probably want him more.

Disagree.

Belegal
01-17-2020, 11:38 PM
If we sign a 1 year grad transfer, does that count against our hard limit of 25 max per year- if so , get 1 year but lose 3??

TUSK
01-18-2020, 12:17 AM

Fact.

smootness
01-18-2020, 12:23 AM
Almost worth it to take him and use him as a reference. It would especially carry more weight if he comes here and is successful.

Sad thing is there are a ton of guys that couldn't correct their mistake with the transfer portal.

They've always had the option to transfer. The portal hasn't changed that, it's just made it a little easier for kids to get matched up with a new program.

Dawgcap
01-18-2020, 12:28 AM
Have any of y’all seen the changes in his physique. Damn dude has worked his ass off. There’s no question there. Maybe he wants to go somewhere and be the guy. Just like any other transfer. I don’t care where he’s from I want him in Starkville because he wants to play and prove himself. Hell we have guys that committed and are playing for us and are just going through the motions. New blood fresh attitudes. Cmon to MState

Todd4State
01-18-2020, 01:06 AM
They've always had the option to transfer. The portal hasn't changed that, it's just made it a little easier for kids to get matched up with a new program.

A little easier? Before the portal the options were to:

1. Go to another FCS school that was approved by your old school and sit out a year. And there is no way that Alabama would approve a transfer of any of their players to MSU or any other SEC school.

2. Go somewhere like Jackson State.

3. If they weren't a sophomore yet in football eligibility go the JUCO route. And then go through the entire recruiting process again.

Todd4State
01-18-2020, 01:07 AM
Have any of y’all seen the changes in his physique. Damn dude has worked his ass off. There’s no question there. Maybe he wants to go somewhere and be the guy. Just like any other transfer. I don’t care where he’s from I want him in Starkville because he wants to play and prove himself. Hell we have guys that committed and are playing for us and are just going through the motions. New blood fresh attitudes. Cmon to MState

Good post.

Dawgcap
01-18-2020, 01:24 AM
What’s funny is we don’t know if he wants to come to State but if he does the negative people need to shut the hell up. I want players with attitude to excel. If he shows up here he’s my guy because he wants to prove himself. If he doesn’t so be it but I respect and want someone who is trying to change and better his life. Same with any transfer that has or will choose our amazing school

BhamDawg205
01-18-2020, 01:58 AM

Yep... You hit it on the head.

Todd4State
01-18-2020, 02:10 AM
What’s funny is we don’t know if he wants to come to State but if he does the negative people need to shut the hell up. I want players with attitude to excel. If he shows up here he’s my guy because he wants to prove himself. If he doesn’t so be it but I respect and want someone who is trying to change and better his life. Same with any transfer that has or will choose our amazing school

Same thing happened with Cole Smith if I remember correctly. "We didn't want him" either because he picked LSU.

MSU message board posters at least stick to their initial agenda. The reality is we are possibly starting a RS freshman or RS sophomore at LT next year- granted 4-5 star players. Having a fifth year senior who is probably at least Greg Eiland or Tommy Champion caliber who has been in the SEC is probably a good pick up for us. Even if he ends up being a back-up.

Dawgcap
01-18-2020, 02:52 AM
And a strong chance Cole Smith starts next year. If Lashley does come here he may have learned enough to be a talented lineman for us. I don’t give a shit about his 18 year old decision I want to know his 21-22 year old decision. Some of y’all need to shut the hell up because if he shows up here you will look stupid. If he doesn’t produce what has it cost us?

Walkerhill
01-18-2020, 10:10 AM
Comical.

I mean, say whatever you want. The fact remains that our offensive line recruiting under Hev was trash and particularly in 2017.

We have concerns in every category on OL - depth, quality.

Meanwhile this guy was highly rated and has been in the best player development system in the history of college football.

At minimum, he eases the obvious depth concern.

KOdawg1
01-18-2020, 10:15 AM
At minimum, he eases the obvious depth concern.

For a year.

If we're taking chances on guys, I'd rather take one on a guy who gives me 4 years vs. 1

dawgday166
01-18-2020, 10:15 AM
Leach knows what he's doing with all offensive positions. And he knows what he's looking for. I got faith in Leach.

Cooterpoot
01-18-2020, 10:30 AM
And a strong chance Cole Smith starts next year. If Lashley does come here he may have learned enough to be a talented lineman for us. I don’t give a shit about his 18 year old decision I want to know his 21-22 year old decision. Some of y’all need to shut the hell up because if he shows up here you will look stupid. If he doesn’t produce what has it cost us?
A scholarship

Cooterpoot
01-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Same thing happened with Cole Smith if I remember correctly. "We didn't want him" either because he picked LSU.

MSU message board posters at least stick to their initial agenda. The reality is we are possibly starting a RS freshman or RS sophomore at LT next year- granted 4-5 star players. Having a fifth year senior who is probably at least Greg Eiland or Tommy Champion caliber who has been in the SEC is probably a good pick up for us. Even if he ends up being a back-up.

Who didn't want Cole? Cole didn't go sit the pine until his last season. And everybody knew the family divide on his deal. Many expected him to transfer when he signed.

Walkerhill
01-18-2020, 10:40 AM
A scholarship

Okay, what do our numbers look like, after 25 signatures and presumably 1 transfer qb?

Pennywise
01-18-2020, 10:44 AM
Can he help the line protect the QB and open holes for the RB? Can he help team chemistry?

If yes, then sign him up.

Cooterpoot
01-18-2020, 10:51 AM
Okay, what do our numbers look like, after 25 signatures and presumably 1 transfer qb?

We're going to over sign because a handful of guys will be leaving us after spring. We may even take Lashley. We're going to sign a few OL from what everyone is saying.

DeputyDawg94
01-18-2020, 12:02 PM
Like most I was pissed when he went to Bama. I couldn’t really blame him considering who the ol coach was at the time.

He could be an example our coaches could use in recruiting to show players who want to go out of state that they can stay home and be more successful. There’s no way to ever know but I’m sure he would have had a lot more playing time here

NCDawg
01-18-2020, 12:16 PM
Like most I was pissed when he went to Bama. I couldn’t really blame him considering who the ol coach was at the time.

He could be an example our coaches could use in recruiting to show players who want to go out of state that they can stay home and be more successful. There’s no way to ever know but I’m sure he would have had a lot more playing time here

I agree. Hevesy turned off a lot of our potential OL recruits, so it's hard to blame a kid for not wanting to sign with us. If he's in shape, has good feet, and can block and pass protect, I think it would dumb for us not to sign him if he's interested in signing with us. We really need some linemen who can move around better.

Todd4State
01-18-2020, 03:01 PM
Who didn't want Cole? Cole didn't go sit the pine until his last season. And everybody knew the family divide on his deal. Many expected him to transfer when he signed.

You for one:

"What if I told you State fans want him more than State coaches. What if I told you he wasn’t a priority. What if I told you he wasn’t impressive at camps."

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?61663-Cole-smith&highlight=cole+smith

TUSK
01-18-2020, 07:25 PM
I'm (extree) in....

https://media.giphy.com/media/K9b2WiPZi0ZjO/200.gif

Cooterpoot
01-19-2020, 08:22 AM
You for one:

"What if I told you State fans want him more than State coaches. What if I told you he wasn?t a priority. What if I told you he wasn?t impressive at camps."

He wasn't a priority for the coaches. That's a big difference in saying the fans didn't want him. The coaches thought he was a marginal talent. They didn't push him hard until they lost some guys. You act like those guys didn't screw up OL recruiting fairly regularly. The fans wanted him.

RougeDawg
01-19-2020, 08:48 AM
You for one:

"What if I told you State fans want him more than State coaches. What if I told you he wasn?t a priority. What if I told you he wasn?t impressive at camps."

Looking back through that thread, shines a light one one of the reasons MSU football never really closed the gap on any of the storied programs over the decades, until recently. The reason we seem to lose out on kids with MSU ties, or in our own back yard.

That reason is a lot of former MSU players looked at and treated MSU football in the same way after they left campus, that the blue hairs and LT generation treat/treated MSU football. There was not the passion for the program like you see at other programs. There was the mentality of it?s somewhere we played, or something to do on fall Saturdays. Let?s make sure we have all 11 am day games so we can get home before dark. Hopefully we make a bowl gam every decade or two, as long as we are nice and do not ruffle any feathers. The ?We know our place? mentality. The passion for being successful as a program was lacking for so long, we are still seeing the lingering effects.

Don?t get me wrong, the last 20-25 years have really started to kill that old loser mindset, but we still have a long way to go to fully rid the fan base, Bryan building and program of this long engrained false belief. Former players appear to be more openly passionate about the program recently, and want to help it succeed, but it will take time.

Hopefully, we hired the right coach, at the right time, to fully choke this mindset from the program and fan base. Because we sure are going to get a ton of national media attention, sink or swim. The next 5-10 years can help cement the 30+ year transformation from the dark ages of MSU football.

basedog
01-19-2020, 09:25 AM
Looking back through that thread, shines a light one one of the reasons MSU football never really closed the gap on any of the storied programs over the decades, until recently. The reason we seem to lose out on kids with MSU ties, or in our own back yard.

That reason is a lot of former MSU players looked at and treated MSU football in the same way after they left campus, that the blue hairs and LT generation treat/treated MSU football. There was not the passion for the program like you see at other programs. There was the mentality of it?s somewhere we played, or something to do on fall Saturdays. Let?s make sure we have all 11 am day games so we can get home before dark. Hopefully we make a bowl gam every decade or two, as long as we are nice and do not ruffle any feathers. The ?We know our place? mentality. The passion for being successful as a program was lacking for so long, we are still seeing the lingering effects.

Don?t get me wrong, the last 20-25 years have really started to kill that old loser mindset, but we still have a long way to go to fully rid the fan base, Bryan building and program of this long engrained false belief. Former players appear to be more openly passionate about the program recently, and want to help it succeed, but it will take time.

Hopefully, we hired the right coach, at the right time, to fully choke this mindset from the program and fan base. Because we sure are going to get a ton of national media attention, sink or swim. The next 5-10 years can help cement the 30+ year transformation from the dark ages of MSU football.

Would you and others quit blaming Blue Hairs? That is such bull, I get tired of hearing crap like this! Hey I graduated in 1973, so if you think I am a "blue hair" and are one of the reasons we were so bad then you are seriously mistaken! Msu is what it is just like the state of Mississippi, I love both and no way ever would I harm in any way. Fact is I brag on both when traveling.

Ok, I'm better so I will go et my oatmeal and take my Geritol****

Really Clark?
01-19-2020, 01:04 PM
Scott starting classes at State this week it appears.

KOdawg1
01-19-2020, 01:10 PM

Seems like that's pretty official. Hope he contributes immediately.

dawgoneyall
01-19-2020, 01:45 PM

Not sure how all this works...can he participate in spring?

Todd4State
01-19-2020, 01:46 PM

I have talked this past year on here about the disconnect between the fans and the athletic administration regarding football. It felt like this year to me that the MSU athletic department treated the football program like our expectations were the same as 2009 and they just never moved forward while the fans did move on and raise their expectations. That's one of several reasons for the angst this past season.

The season we just had would have been acceptable in 2009. Just to put it bluntly. It's not acceptable in 2020.

But I do think the athletic administration has started to catch on and I think what did it was how the fans responded after Joe's press conference after the Egg Bowl. I believe that if Joe had made that speech after 2011 or so a lot of our fans would have jumped on Joe's bandwagon and said crap like "Yeah- you unrealistic negative people listen to Joe! He showed you! Now sit down and shut up!" Instead most of the fans were pissed off about it. And I'm sure Cohen and Keenum heard about it and I think that they realized it isn't 2009 anymore. I think that may be why the boosters backed out- they may have been worried somewhat about how it would be perceived if they fired Moorhead after a bowl season with an Egg Bowl win instead of risk being the next Sander/Perry that fired Allyn McKeen.

Ever since the Egg Bowl- things have been different. Our coaching search was vastly expanded from our last one. The pool for assistants has been raised. I'm sure that staff and recruiting budget will be expanded. I bet gameday will be a lot better next year too. Heck, I think there's even a chance we may see an interlocking MSU at some point in the next five years at this rate.

What you are talking about is why we allowed Dan to essentially use us over and over again as well. To me he really only had two great seasons and the rest were above average at best when you look at the quality of who he actually beat. And some of our fans treat him like he was Bear Bryant.

KB21
01-19-2020, 01:47 PM
Yes. He’s immediately eligible.

Todd4State
01-19-2020, 01:49 PM
He wasn't a priority for the coaches. That's a big difference in saying the fans didn't want him. The coaches thought he was a marginal talent. They didn't push him hard until they lost some guys. You act like those guys didn't screw up OL recruiting fairly regularly. The fans wanted him.

Wasn't a priority after they offered him or after he chose Alabama? Hevesy never pushed hard for anybody. Sounds more like sour grapes on our coaching staff's part.

Dan sucked- but you as a poster reciprocated their opinion in their post.

bulldawg28
01-19-2020, 02:09 PM
Where is Nigel Knott? I love the transfer portal. It gives teams like MSU a chance to remain successful even when you miss out on high school recruits.