PDA

View Full Version : DC Search Update?

Pages : [1] 2

HailStateSZN19
01-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Has there been any updates on this front? Was hoping we'd have one lined up by the weekend so he can get his position coaches in here for next weekend when OV's start back up.

One guy I haven't seen mentioned much that I wish would get a look is Charles Kelly at Bama right now. He's got an extensive resume. Ran Jimbo's defense at FSU for 4 years from 2014-2017 and did really well. He's 52 so that's kinda a perfect age, he's not young & inexperienced and is a proven commodity yet he's not too old to where he's on the back end of his career and still has the fire/passion needed. He's from Ozark, AL and has been at FSU, GT, and now Bama so he's very familiar with recruiting the South. He's got to have a ton of connections working in the South region and being from Alabama so I would assume he could put together an impressive staff.

And this guy has been mentioned a coupe times but also hope Jay Bateman from UNC gets a look. He's an "on the rise" guy who came in and turned the UNC defense around. He had very solid defenses at Army & the UNC defense in 2018 pre-Bateman gave up 34.5 PPG (104 out of 130 teams) but this year in his first year UNC gave up 23.7 PPG (44 out of 130 teams). Not sure on what kind of staff he could put together or how his recruiting is but that would largely hinge on his staff since the DC himself usually doesn't do the bulk of the recruiting.

Can anyone add any info on the search or rumors or opinions? It's been radio silent on this DC search the last several days it seems like.

OLJWales
01-17-2020, 10:12 AM
What day is it where we can start reaching out to the unsigned croots? Is Leach gonna have a full staff prior to that day?

PMDawg
01-17-2020, 10:19 AM
Let's ask Rougedawg what's going on behind the scenes.**

HailStateSZN19
01-17-2020, 10:19 AM
What day is it where we can start reaching out to the unsigned croots? Is Leach gonna have a full staff prior to that day?

I believe today started the "contact period" again and runs through Feb. 1st. Then Feb. 3rd through Feb. 6th is another "dead period" before Feb. NSD gets here.

Coursesuper
01-17-2020, 10:21 AM
This search is being run from the back porch in Key West so I doubt very much info comes out until its over.

Todd4State
01-17-2020, 10:28 AM
This search is being run from the back porch in Key West so I doubt very much info comes out until its over.

Yep. Leach isn't taking these guys to Harvey's.

TXDawg
01-17-2020, 10:29 AM
How much does the LSU vacancy impact us? I doubt we're pulling from the same pool of candidates, but I would feel better if we'd had our guy locked up before Aranda left.

Todd4State
01-17-2020, 11:39 AM

How much does the LSU vacancy impact us? I doubt we're pulling from the same pool of candidates, but I would feel better if we'd had our guy locked up before Aranda left.

Probably somewhat. Both of us are in the higher ranges of pay.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-17-2020, 11:50 AM
Navy DC, Kstate DC

HailStateSZN19
01-17-2020, 11:55 AM
Navy DC, Kstate DC

Navy's DC drastically improved them this season. My only concern would be what kind of staff could he put together? Does he have enough connections to get a strong staff together, especially to recruit in the South?

Idk much on KState's DC....

Really Clark?
01-17-2020, 12:00 PM
Navy's DC drastically improved them this season. My only concern would be what kind of staff could he put together? Does he have enough connections to get a strong staff together, especially to recruit in the South?

Idk much on KState's DC....

Been with Klienman for long time. Really great at North Dakota St. surprised to see him mentioned as they have been together for a long time and look to be changing KST quickly.

Commercecomet24
01-17-2020, 12:10 PM
Been with Klienman for long time. Really great at North Dakota St. surprised to see him mentioned as they have been together for a long time and look to be changing KST quickly.

Hazelton is a sharp cat and knows what he's doing. He would be a home run hire at DC,imo, but I can't see him leaving KSU. He's been with Klieman for awhile. Would love to get him, though.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-17-2020, 12:19 PM

He actually left Klienman for some years.Coached at USC, Nevada, Jacksonville Jaguars, & the last previous 2 years he was the DC at Wyoming before he reunited with Kleinman at Kansas St.

ETA: he was at North Dakota St before Kleiman got there. So they may not be tied to the hip.

HailStateSZN19
01-17-2020, 12:23 PM
He actually left Klienman for some years.Coached at USC, Nevada, Jacksonville Jaguars, & the last previous 2 years he was the DC at Wyoming before he reunited with Kleinman at Kansas St.

ETA: he was at North Dakota St before Kleiman got there. So they may not be tied to the hip.

What's your thoughts on these 2 options, being the Navy DC (Newberry) and KState DC (Hazelton)? Heard any other options?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-17-2020, 12:29 PM
What's your thoughts on these 2 options, being the Navy DC (Newberry) and KState DC (Hazelton)? Heard any other options?

Newberry has been great everywhere he's been but he only has 1 year of FBS DC experience. Hazleton has a good track record also.

Todd4State
01-17-2020, 12:48 PM
I'd keep an eye on Jay Bateman and Rocky Long still. No insider info.

Really Clark?
01-17-2020, 12:57 PM

Good deal I forgot he went to Wyoming and kept thinking he and Klienman had been together longer.

smootness
01-17-2020, 01:32 PM
Good deal I forgot he went to Wyoming and kept thinking he and Klienman had been together longer.

Looks like they just overlapped for one year at ND St, where Klieman was actually DB coach under Hazelton; so that's interesting, perhaps if Hazelton had stuck around another couple years he would have taken over as HC instead.

So he's actually more tied to Bohl, and he left him to coach under Klieman because it was a move up, so he may be willing to do the same to come to State.

FriarsPoint
01-17-2020, 01:39 PM
Todd Orlando is another name possibly under consideration.

Irondawg
01-17-2020, 02:21 PM
Please no Todd Orlando - if you watched any Texas football this year you'd know why. Let's just say he and Peter Sirmon on not going to make big money teaching tackling techniques on the coaching seminar circuit.

Really Clark?
01-18-2020, 10:59 AM
Newberry as DC

ShotgunDawg
01-18-2020, 11:01 AM
Newberry as DC

Yup. We’re about to have one of the better Xs and Os staffs in America.

One question I have is the Newberry coaches safeties. What will Hughes coach?

https://navysports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/brian-newberry/645

DEDawg
01-18-2020, 11:06 AM
Newberry as DC

Damn, can you imagine going from a service academy with the most disciplined collegiate athletes in the country, to this shit show JMo created?

Really Clark?
01-18-2020, 11:11 AM
Damn, can you imagine going from a service academy with the most disciplined collegiate athletes in the country, to this shit show JMo created?

Man he has been all over the south coaching and just one year at Navy. It won?t be an adjustment

msstate7
01-18-2020, 11:11 AM
Newberry as DC

I really like this hire.

TrapGame
01-18-2020, 11:20 AM

You got a problem with discipline? He's exactly what we need. This team will look night and day from 2019 when they take the field this season. No more bull shit.

Jarius
01-18-2020, 11:21 AM
I really like this hire.

I do as well.

Dogbone
01-18-2020, 11:24 AM
Where did you see this?

Jarius
01-18-2020, 11:24 AM
Steve is reporting it.

OLJWales
01-18-2020, 11:29 AM
Anybody got any Navy defensive stats from last year?

YoungB
01-18-2020, 11:34 AM
He beat K State with D

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.againstallenemies.com/platform/amp/2020/1/2/21045929/navy-midshipmen-defense-autozone-liberty-bowl-2019-success-usna-kansas-state-wildcats-big-12

Ifyouonlyknew
01-18-2020, 11:40 AM

https://navysports.com/news/2019/11/26/football-navy-defensive-coordinator-brian-newberry-named-a-semifinalist-for-the-broyles-award.aspx

Really Clark?
01-18-2020, 11:45 AM

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/3/616/9616003.png

Dawgface
01-18-2020, 11:52 AM
Solid hire. Now let's finish out recruiting on a high note and we're headed in the right direction.

KOdawg1
01-18-2020, 11:54 AM
Good hire. We're going the Xs and Os route while OM is going the recruiter route. We'll see which one works. I think Newberry will do well here.

Hopefully he can build a good staff around him. Steve mentioned Leach bringing his DL coach from WSU. No thanks on that. You can talk me into bringing McBath, but I want a guy with SEC experience on the DL. That's our bread and butter, especially in this state. I hope that part isn't true.

OLJWales
01-18-2020, 11:56 AM
Thank yall for the stats as I'm working. I like the stats and hoping he's also bringing some military style discipline with him.

Dogbone
01-18-2020, 11:57 AM
Can someone post the link to Newberry hire?

KOdawg1
01-18-2020, 11:59 AM
Can someone post the link to Newberry hire?

It's not official yet

DEDawg
01-18-2020, 12:33 PM
You got a problem with discipline? He's exactly what we need. This team will look night and day from 2019 when they take the field this season. No more bull shit.

Think you misinterpreted

TrapGame
01-18-2020, 12:37 PM
Think you misinterpreted

I didn't have my decoder ring.**

mparkerfd20
01-18-2020, 01:30 PM
I hope he brings Brian Norwood with him

Ifyouonlyknew
01-18-2020, 01:35 PM
I hope he brings Brian Norwood with him

He just got hired at UCLA yesterday.

msstate7
01-18-2020, 01:48 PM
He just got hired at UCLA yesterday.
So we just have newberry and Hughes as defensive coaches, right? Any word on how we plan to fill out def staff?

Todd4State
01-18-2020, 01:53 PM
So we just have newberry and Hughes as defensive coaches, right? Any word on how we plan to fill out def staff?

I'm sure Darcel McBath is coming. If Leach bring in his DL coach Jeff Phelps I'm not sure about that. That leaves one spot open and if it were me I'd hire Jeff Koonz for it.

Jarius
01-18-2020, 02:05 PM

McBath is also coming.

msstate7
01-18-2020, 02:06 PM
I'm sure Darcel McBath is coming. If Leach bring in his DL coach Jeff Phelps I'm not sure about that. That leaves one spot open and if it were me I'd hire Jeff Koonz for it.

Thanks

msstate7
01-18-2020, 02:07 PM
McBath is also coming.
Thanks

smootness
01-18-2020, 02:16 PM
Newberry took a couple guys with him from Kennesaw St to Navy, I know his DL and LB coaches for sure. Wouldn't shock me if he brought them along again, especially since I would imagine Leach will give him more autonomy on that side.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-18-2020, 02:25 PM
DC - Newberry
DL - Phelps
LB - ???
CB - McBath
S - Hughes

Todd4State
01-18-2020, 02:38 PM
Newberry took a couple guys with him from Kennesaw St to Navy, I know his DL and LB coaches for sure. Wouldn't shock me if he brought them along again, especially since I would imagine Leach will give him more autonomy on that side.

He mentioned that was something that was important to him in an interview I saw from the preseason. Having coaches that he was familiar with and having a working relationship with. With Norwood going to UCLA I suspect that we'll get our DL and LB coach from the Naval Academy as well.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-18-2020, 03:04 PM
He mentioned that was something that was important to him in an interview I saw from the preseason. Having coaches that he was familiar with and having a working relationship with. With Norwood going to UCLA I suspect that we'll get our DL and LB coach from the Naval Academy as well.

It won't be their DL coach. Phelps is coming to MSU also.

Todd4State
01-18-2020, 03:23 PM
It won't be their DL coach. Phelps is coming to MSU also.

I thought that was just a rumor? We'll almost certainly hire Navy's LB coach then.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-18-2020, 03:23 PM
I thought that was just a rumor? We'll almost certainly hire Navy's LB coach then.

No Phelps is already here.

KOdawg1
01-18-2020, 04:22 PM
Not a fan of Phelps being brought from WSU. I'm on board with everything else.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-18-2020, 04:33 PM
Not a fan of Phelps being brought from WSU. I'm on board with everything else.

I definitely have questions about him as a recruiter no doubt. As a coach he's actually very solid. I do understand the stench of the WSU defense from last year being on him.

GreenheadDawg
01-18-2020, 04:56 PM
I think Leach?s effort or lack thereof in recruiting is going to make or break him. He better find some guys that are going to recruit defensive talent

Santiago
01-18-2020, 05:43 PM
I definitely have questions about him as a recruiter no doubt. As a coach he's actually very solid. I do understand the stench of the WSU defense from last year being on him.

Assuming he is connecting with Key or trying to already, right? That is his first recruit

KB21
01-18-2020, 05:56 PM
I think Leach?s effort or lack thereof in recruiting is going to make or break him. He better find some guys that are going to recruit defensive talent

Since when did Mike Leach give little effort in recruiting? I’m not sure where this falsehood started.

Walkerhill
01-18-2020, 06:26 PM
Since when did Mike Leach give little effort in recruiting? I?m not sure where this falsehood started.
I think people have conflated the facts that he prioritizes coaching acumen in staff hiring decisions and targets specific player characteristics regardless of recruiting rankings with the idea he undervalues or short changes recruiting.

HancockCountyDog
01-19-2020, 12:15 AM
Since when did Mike Leach give little effort in recruiting? I’m not sure where this falsehood started.

I think some of it is based off his reputation of spending a lot of time in Key West. Let?s not sugarcoat it, he does.

If he wins, no one will care. If he loses, it will be a problem for most people here (myself included) who believe that to win at MSU you need to be recruiting to Starkville, from Starkville, 365 days a year.

BhamDawg205
01-19-2020, 12:22 AM
I think some of it is based off his reputation of spending a lot of time in Key West. Let?s not sugarcoat it, he does.

If he wins, no one will care. If he loses, it will be a problem for most people here (myself included) who believe that to win at MSU you need to be recruiting to Starkville, from Starkville, 365 days a year.

Unless he's using some of that time in FL as a scouting trip. Hopefully he has enough contacts there to recruit FL talent to MSU. Especially when it comes to WRs and QBs.

HancockCountyDog
01-19-2020, 12:26 AM
Unless he's using some of that time in FL as a scouting trip. Hopefully he has enough contacts there to recruit FL talent to MSU. Especially when it comes to WRs and QBs.

Lol, he ain?t recruiting in Key West.

You don?t scout Florida with Key West as your starting point.

Look, as long as he wins, this will be funny.

Todd4State
01-19-2020, 12:28 AM

As for me like all of our other coaches I'll give him a chance to fail first before I complain. Just because his staff isn't a Mississippi All Star team it doesn't mean that his guys can't recruit.

I think a lot of our fans are scarred by Dan and his country club too. I can't see Leach being a guy that has sacred cows like Dan though. I also find it hard to believe that he is worse at recruiting than Dan. I could be wrong because it's always possible. Over time I wouldn't be surprised if he actually ends up attracting more Southern coaches to his staff as guys like Nichols and Spurrier become head coaches somewhere else over the years.

BhamDawg205
01-19-2020, 12:30 AM

I was talking about in between snorkeling and sunbathing.:cool:

Coursesuper
01-19-2020, 12:47 AM

Last time I was on Key West my phone worked just fine. As long as he's not making recruiting calls from Captain Tony's I thing we will be ok.

Dawgfan77
01-19-2020, 08:27 AM
Mullen spent most of those offseasons at his lake house in GA.

BrunswickDawg
01-19-2020, 08:41 AM
Last time I was on Key West my phone worked just fine. As long as he's not making recruiting calls from Captain Tony's I thing we will be ok.

Hell - I don't care if he is making calls from Captain Tony's. Leach has enough status that he can dial up a recruit and FaceTime them from anywhere and just say, "Steve says you're gonna give me 1100 YAC and 20 TDS in our offense. Youre that good. I'm out at Captain Tony's in Key West and I had to talk to you right now..." and it will be over.

That's how most of recruiting is done by a HC anyway.

BhamDawg205
01-19-2020, 10:53 AM
Navy's defense against Memphis, Tulsa, and ECU... DC seems to scheme very well to make up for lack of talent. Also aggressive and discipline. Sorta reminds me of Grantham.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwEDMWqXeE4&feature=youtu.be

KB21
01-19-2020, 11:28 AM
As for me like all of our other coaches I'll give him a chance to fail first before I complain. Just because his staff isn't a Mississippi All Star team it doesn't mean that his guys can't recruit.

I think a lot of our fans are scarred by Dan and his country club too. I can't see Leach being a guy that has sacred cows like Dan though. I also find it hard to believe that he is worse at recruiting than Dan. I could be wrong because it's always possible. Over time I wouldn't be surprised if he actually ends up attracting more Southern coaches to his staff as guys like Nichols and Spurrier become head coaches somewhere else over the years.

My rebuttal to the fans that are having visions of Dan bringing his guys in with Mike bringing his offensive guys in is this. How many of Dan’s guys have gone on to become head coaches? Now, how many of Mike’s guys over the years have gone on to become head coaches? There are currently 8 head coaches who either coached or played on Mike’s first staff/team at Texas Tech.

Cooterpoot
01-19-2020, 12:01 PM
Anybody worrying about unnecessary bullshit like Leach living in Key West and his staff following him, is just a damn worrier and negative numb nut. Let the guy get rolling. We aren't dealing with Candy-assed, thin-skin, ass slapping, bullshit anymore. It's time to change that mindset with the fans too.

Coursesuper
01-19-2020, 12:16 PM
Anybody worrying about unnecessary bullshit like Leach living in Key West and his staff following him, is just a damn worrier and negative numb nut. Let the guy get rolling. We aren't dealing with Candy-assed, thin-skin, ass slapping, bullshit anymore. It's time to change that mindset with the fans too.

Amen to that. It's great that the guy loves him some Key West. Hell, my ass would be there every chance I could get if I were I that tax bracket. A bunch of of these folks are going to get their feelings hurt by this staff. This staff truly doesn't give a shit and are going to do things the way they see fit and damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

Commercecomet24
01-19-2020, 12:31 PM

Exactly! Leach is coming here to win not to just relax and cash a paycheck.

Cooterpoot
01-19-2020, 12:43 PM
We hired a proven coach. A coach with as much swagger and 17 you attitude as any we'll ever have. If you can't get behind this hire, you probably need to go cheer for USM.
**But I'm still not paying $75 for his damn book on Amazon.**

OLJWales
01-19-2020, 12:56 PM
I'm fired up to see what our new DC can do with an elevated talent pool to work with.

Todd4State
01-19-2020, 01:29 PM
My rebuttal to the fans that are having visions of Dan bringing his guys in with Mike bringing his offensive guys in is this. How many of Dan’s guys have gone on to become head coaches? Now, how many of Mike’s guys over the years have gone on to become head coaches? There are currently 8 head coaches who either coached or played on Mike’s first staff/team at Texas Tech.

Usually the guys that became head coaches under Dan were the DC's that he micromanaged.

Commercecomet24
01-19-2020, 02:31 PM
We hired a proven coach. A coach with as much swagger and 17 you attitude as any we'll ever have. If you can't get behind this hire, you probably need to go cheer for USM.
**But I'm still not paying $75 for his damn book on Amazon.**

Reminds me a lot of Jackie with his attitude and swagger. I like it a lot!

Todd4State
01-19-2020, 02:38 PM
Reminds me a lot of Jackie with his attitude and swagger. I like it a lot!

Except one throws the ball 50 times and the other ran it 50 times.

I think we are about to enter an era where we have some Jackie type excitement. And yes, I wouldn't be shocked if we end up winning the West like Jackie at some point with Leach. Maybe even more because I have a feeling Leach won't have the loses to people like Troy and Tulane. If for no other reason our profile has been raised- thanks Jackie.

Commercecomet24
01-19-2020, 02:42 PM
Except one throws the ball 50 times and the other ran it 50 times.

I think we are about to enter an era where we have some Jackie type excitement. And yes, I wouldn't be shocked if we end up winning the West like Jackie at some point with Leach. Maybe even more because I have a feeling Leach won't have the loses to people like Troy and Tulane. If for no other reason our profile has been raised- thanks Jackie.

Yeah polar opposites on offensive philosophy lol! Very similar in a lot respects otherwise. Mavericks, don't give a crap what the rest of the football world thinks, speak their mind, etc. Very refreshing!

ShotgunDawg
01-19-2020, 03:27 PM
Exactly! Leach is coming here to win not to just relax and cash a paycheck.

This is his chance.

He knows the magnitude of his legacy & potentially the College Football HOF rests on how he performs at MSU.

We're gonna get balls to the wall effort.

I think we may get a better effort than what he's ever given. He knew he couldn't recruit well enough to Lubbock or Pullman to win big, so why try all that hard?

He knows that is different here

Todd4State
01-19-2020, 04:16 PM
This is his chance.

He knows the magnitude of his legacy & potentially the College Football HOF rests on how he performs at MSU.

We're gonna get balls to the wall effort.

I think we may get a better effort than what he's ever given. He knew he couldn't recruit well enough to Lubbock or Pullman to win big, so why try all that hard?

He knows that is different here

I believe he recruited at least close to the ceiling of where he was relative to the team he was with at the time. If he keeps us at 25 or so and coaches players up he will do fine.

I think he will recruit better than Dan.

dawgday166
01-19-2020, 04:19 PM
I believe he recruited at least close to the ceiling of where he was relative to the team he was with at the time. If he keeps us at 25 or so and coaches players up he will do fine.

I think you're gonna be right on this.

Jarius
01-19-2020, 04:35 PM

If Mike Leach recruits in the top 25 he will be Dan Mullen with the exception that he actually beats some top 25 teams he has no business beating.

maroonmania
01-19-2020, 04:40 PM
Hell - I don't care if he is making calls from Captain Tony's. Leach has enough status that he can dial up a recruit and FaceTime them from anywhere and just say, "Steve says you're gonna give me 1100 YAC and 20 TDS in our offense. Youre that good. I'm out at Captain Tony's in Key West and I had to talk to you right now..." and it will be over.

That's how most of recruiting is done by a HC anyway.

I'm much more worried about what kind of recruiters his assistants are than Leach himself. The HC isnt the guy that normally forms the relationship with the recruits. That is done by the recruiting staff and the assistant coaches. The HC is the closer on in home and on campus recruiting visits. Now Moorhead was the exception to this but very, very few HCs do the day to day recruiting like Moorhead did. I appreciate the extra effort Moorhead put into recruiting from the HC position but 95% of HCs out there aren't going to do that. If we have enough good recruiters on staff we will be fine no matter where Leach wants to spend his off season time.

maroonmania
01-19-2020, 04:42 PM
If Mike Leach recruits in the top 25 he will be Dan Mullen with the exception that he actually beats some top 25 teams he has no business beating.

Also hoping Leach will find an effective DC that will stay with him for a while. Mullen changed DCs like he changed his underwear while at MSU.

MSUdawg67
01-19-2020, 05:59 PM
Sounds like the negotiations with Newberry are still underway.

Dogbone
01-19-2020, 06:08 PM
That was my question. Why haven't we heard anything? Still negotiating?

HailStateSZN19
01-19-2020, 06:12 PM
I thought it was all wrapped up yesterday when the 247 guys started tweeting out the articles on him. What’s the hold up? Is it over filling out the staff? Could it be that Leach was wanting to bring the DL coach from WSU but maybe Newberry wants his guy there? I’m holding out hope that the DL coach won’t be the WSU guy. That’s the only question mark I’d have about the hires so far. We need someone with some Southern/SEC ties and connections there. Not high on bringing in Phelps personally.

TheLostDawg
01-19-2020, 06:28 PM
Yeah. Same. Wondering how negotiations are going and if it had anything to do with bringing his own staff. Funny because we were told the DC was going to be able to pick his staff and that doesn't seem to be the case.

KOdawg1
01-19-2020, 06:30 PM
I thought it was all wrapped up yesterday when the 247 guys started tweeting out the articles on him. What’s the hold up? Is it over filling out the staff? Could it be that Leach was wanting to bring the DL coach from WSU but maybe Newberry wants his guy there? I’m holding out hope that the DL coach won’t be the WSU guy. That’s the only question mark I’d have about the hires so far. We need someone with some Southern/SEC ties and connections there. Not high on bringing in Phelps personally.

I also hope the DL coach from WSU doesn't come. I like Leach and I'm fine with his offensive staff coming, but we didn't up the assistant pay to 4.7 million so the entire WSU staff could just get a pay raise. They did some good things in Pullman, but that defense was pretty atrocious.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-19-2020, 06:36 PM
Everything is good with Newberry. Likely to be announced Tuesday.

Jarius
01-19-2020, 06:45 PM
I also hope the DL coach from WSU doesn't come. I like Leach and I'm fine with his offensive staff coming, but we didn't up the assistant pay to 4.7 million so the entire WSU staff could just get a pay raise. They did some good things in Pullman, but that defense was pretty atrocious.

Which is why the dc did not get retained. Leach obviously thinks that the position coaches can recruit when they have an actual product to sell.

Dogbone
01-19-2020, 06:46 PM
Source?

KB21
01-19-2020, 06:50 PM
I’m not sure why having “southern ties” is such an important aspect, particularly when it is your defensive line coach. Your defensive line and offensive line are developmental positions. You need guys who can actually coach those positions in those spots. Whether they have southern ties or ties to Russia, if they can coach, it shouldn’t matter. Jeff Phelps is a dang good defensive line coach. I caught flack for saying this elsewhere, but Deke Adams had ties to Mississippi and was very meh as a defensive line coach.

dawgday166
01-19-2020, 06:52 PM

How you feeling on the staff? I like the Newberry hire? Not sure who all is going to join him on D side tho.

Todd4State
01-19-2020, 06:53 PM

Pats self back

Ifyouonlyknew
01-19-2020, 07:24 PM
How you feeling on the staff? I like the Newberry hire? Not sure who all is going to join him on D side tho.

It's quite a few unknowns recruiting wise. We can't say they can't recruit but we're not sure if they can. I like them as actual teachers & X & O guys.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-19-2020, 07:24 PM
Pats self back

My bad did I step on your toes or did you already say that?

dawgday166
01-19-2020, 07:35 PM
It's quite a few unknowns recruiting wise. We can't say they can't recruit but we're not sure if they can. I like them as actual teachers & X & O guys.

I have no clue on recruiting and I know Mullen/Hev may could be asses but one thing I liked about them is they didn't cater to primadonnas and let the WRs know they gonna have to block. OM will cater to 4 and 5* recruits IMO.

I kinda see Leach like Mullen in that regard. He's not gonna blow smoke up any recruit's butt. But Leach also has a National rep to go along with that too.

Pennywise
01-19-2020, 07:39 PM
Leach is more concerned with people who will get his players to perform and execute plays to the best of their abilities.

Jack Lambert
01-19-2020, 07:41 PM
Yeah. Same. Wondering how negotiations are going and if it had anything to do with bringing his own staff. Funny because we were told the DC was going to be able to pick his staff and that doesn't seem to be the case.

They might be needing more money.

Pennywise
01-19-2020, 07:46 PM

I thought we were told he would have autonomy to run his defense the way he wanted to run, not exactly pick his defensive assistants.

Semantics, perhaps. But there's a difference there. And ftr, I hope he brings his Navy DL coach and a LB coach of his liking.

Pennywise
01-19-2020, 07:47 PM
They might be needing more money.

Is it ever known for a HC to go to his AD and say, "Hey, we need this dude. So we need $300,000 more to the package"?

Todd4State
01-19-2020, 08:12 PM
My bad did I step on your toes or did you already say that?

Just proud of myself for guessing something right for once. Nothing personal. My experience helping hire people paid off!

Todd4State
01-19-2020, 08:15 PM
I thought we were told he would have autonomy to run his defense the way he wanted to run, not exactly pick his defensive assistants.

Semantics, perhaps. But there's a difference there. And ftr, I hope he brings his Navy DL coach and a LB coach of his liking.

That's the only thing that worries me at this point as far as not hearing something official. I saw or read an interview and I could tell that bringing in some of his own people was important to him. There are three guys that he brought with him to Navy and one of whose positions is redundant with Brock's who we need to coach special teams. Phelps I could do with or without. His LB coach could replace Marve. But that could be the hold up potentially.

yjnkdawg
01-19-2020, 08:44 PM

This

yjnkdawg
01-19-2020, 08:50 PM
Source?

You haven't been on here long enough to know yet, but when IYOK says something that is a source and you can take it to the bank.

Dogbone
01-19-2020, 09:16 PM
Sounds good to me!

dawgday166
01-20-2020, 05:49 PM

You still feeling good about this? Rosie saying it's a wait and see.

Said Newberry spent Friday in Key West and weekend in Vegas. He wants to bring some of his guys (I'm guessing LBs coach and DEs coach ... they been with him a while). Rosie says Newberry went back to Annapolis to ponder on the offer.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-20-2020, 05:54 PM
You still feeling good about this? Rosie saying it's a wait and see.

Said Newberry spent Friday in Key West and weekend in Vegas. He wants to bring some of his guys (I'm guessing LBs coach and DEs coach ... they been with him a while). Rosie says Newberry went back to Annapolis to ponder on the offer.

Yea I do.

dawgday166
01-20-2020, 05:56 PM
Yea I do.

Do you know who he is really wanting to bring with him?

His staff looks a little like a mix of guys at Navy before and his guys, with one of his guys (Norwood) already gone to UCLA.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-20-2020, 06:48 PM
Do you know who he is really wanting to bring with him?

His staff looks a little like a mix of guys at Navy before and his guys, with one of his guys (Norwood) already gone to UCLA.

He brought PJ Volker & Kevin Downing with him to Navy from Kennesaw. We have room for 1 but if Phelps is coming like I heard then that's it. If Phelps wasn't coming then he could bring both.

dawgday166
01-20-2020, 06:51 PM
He brought PJ Volker & Kevin Downing with him to Navy from Kennesaw. We have room for 1 but if Phelps is coming like I heard then that's it. If Phelps wasn't coming then he could bring both.

That's what concerns me just a little. Both have been with him a while. I'm sure you already know this ... Volker is LBs coach & Downing is DEs. Looks kinda like Downing would be on outside looking in maybe.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-20-2020, 07:23 PM
That's what concerns me just a little. Both have been with him a while. I'm sure you already know this ... Volker is LBs coach & Downing is DEs. Looks kinda like Downing would be on outside looking in maybe.

Maybe but Downing has coached just about everything on defense & even some offense.

HoopsDawg
01-20-2020, 08:26 PM
I haven't really kept up. How many defensive coaches from Washington State are we hiring?

ShotgunDawg
01-20-2020, 08:33 PM
Something to consider with these defensive hires:

The quicker we hire defensive guys, the quicker Gibson & Peterson have to come off the road.

Read between the lines here

ShotgunDawg
01-20-2020, 08:34 PM
Rosie says Newberry went back to Annapolis to ponder on the offer.

He went back to Annapolis to sit on his ass & not have to recruit so that Peterson & Gibson can lock up the class

You don't go to Key West & then Starkville for the weekend & then not take the job

Todd4State
01-20-2020, 08:38 PM
I haven't really kept up. How many defensive coaches from Washington State are we hiring?

I don't think any of them other than Brock have been officially hired. I guess if we work out something with the Navy DC he will bring his guys and if not it will be Leach's guys and someone like Rocky Long.

dawgday166
01-20-2020, 08:38 PM
He went back to Annapolis to sit on his ass & not have to recruit so that Peterson & Gibson can lock up the class

You don't go to Key West & then Starkville for the weekend & then not take the job

So you really believe that?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-20-2020, 08:40 PM

Looks like 2. Phelps at DL & McBath at CB.

HancockCountyDog
01-20-2020, 08:59 PM
Why did he go to Key West?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-20-2020, 09:00 PM

That's where Leach conducted interviews.

Jarius
01-20-2020, 09:02 PM

Lord have mercy.

Coursesuper
01-20-2020, 09:03 PM
That's where Leach conducted interviews.

I mean can you think of a better place? Away from the prying eyes and if you're not on Duval it's the perfect quiet place to sit down with someone.

HoopsDawg
01-20-2020, 09:06 PM
Looks like 2. Phelps at DL & McBath at CB.

Hmm, can't say I love that but I haven't done any research. We upped our assistant pool by a bunch.

ShotgunDawg
01-20-2020, 09:08 PM
So you really believe that?

You don't?

Why don't you?

ShotgunDawg
01-20-2020, 09:11 PM
Lord have mercy.

You don't think we have a smart enough person in house to do this?

it didn't strike you as convenient that Peterson & Gibson have been crisscrossing the state the last 2 days?

dawgday166
01-20-2020, 09:11 PM
You don't?

Why don't you?

Ahh .. you're in one of your moods tonight. No I don't believe that. Rosie has just reported he's discussing the possible move with his family. The world doesn't revolve for EVERYONE around MSU ... whether you believe that or not. And I know you believe we just a tic below annually being as good as Bama ... but we ain't.

dantheman4248
01-20-2020, 09:13 PM
Ahh .. you're in one of your moods tonight. No I don't believe that. Rosie has just reported he's discussing the possible move with his family. The world doesn't revolve for EVERYONE around MSU ... whether you believe that or not. And I know you believe we just a tic below annually being as good as Bama ... but we ain't.

Look man. Women's basketball game ended rough. Whole board about to be in a big time bad mood.

dawgday166
01-20-2020, 09:16 PM
Look man. Women's basketball game ended rough. Whole board about to be in a big time bad mood.

I saw it too. Only really paid attention last qtr. Gals fought hard in a hostile environment ... made some mistakes coming down the stretch. I didn't see anything that is cause for bashing any of the players really. Can they do better? Probably. Can Vic get better at close games against some teams? Probably. The way some of y'all are bashing them I just don't quite get it.

HancockCountyDog
01-20-2020, 09:22 PM
I mean can you think of a better place? Away from the prying eyes and if you're not on Duval it's the perfect quiet place to sit down with someone.

Yeah I?ve only been once, but I can understand wanting to stay in Key West.

Bothrops
01-20-2020, 09:36 PM

Iguana spotting and shark wrangling

ShotgunDawg
01-20-2020, 09:51 PM

So your negative perception of MSU is driving your belief here?

I threw out a completely plausible explanation for the delay yet you chose to believe the negative side with absolutely no evidence as to whether or not I'm right or wrong.

As for Rosie, he reports what he's allowed to report.

dawgday166
01-20-2020, 09:59 PM
So your negative perception of MSU is driving your belief here?

I threw out a completely plausible explanation for the delay yet you chose to believe the negative side with absolutely no evidence as to whether or not I'm right or wrong.

As for Rosie, he reports what he's allowed to report.

A) There wasn't anything negative about what I said as far a Newberry's reason.
B) I don't have a negative perception of MSU but I also don't have a wild fantasy perception like you do either.

ShotgunDawg
01-20-2020, 10:29 PM
A) There wasn't anything negative about what I said as far a Newberry's reason.
B) I don't have a negative perception of MSU but I also don't have a wild fantasy perception like you do either.

Tell me more about my wild fantasy perception. I think MSU can compete at the highest levels with growth in certain areas & I'd sure like to try & get there. I realize where MSU is & that we aren't Bama, but, if it's OK with you, I'd like for MSU to try & win big. Is that ok? Are you sure you handle people trying? Or do you prefer your shitty MSU?

You discarding my reason was taking a negative perception. There is no two ways about it because the reasoning was completely sound and plausible. It's clear that Brad Peterson & Gibson have been on the road recruiting the last few days since the dead period ended & they've been introducing the new staff to the coaches. If we had a full defensive staff right now that would not be possible. Seems like a pretty legit reason to me to delay hiring a few coaches.

If you want to be negative, that's cool with me. This isn't Genespage, but it is what it is.

I bet you're pretty old

TheLostDawg
01-20-2020, 11:13 PM
So tomorrow is Tuesday. Sounds like we'll hear something about the DC. Secondly Leach has shown to be hiring his guys in off the field positions too. I doubt they'd go from on field at Washington St to off the field here but it's a possibility. Especially if they are told they are next in line and to learn from the guys brought over. If we only knew..

dawgday166
01-21-2020, 07:43 AM
Tell me more about my wild fantasy perception. I think MSU can compete at the highest levels with growth in certain areas & I'd sure like to try & get there. I realize where MSU is & that we aren't Bama, but, if it's OK with you, I'd like for MSU to try & win big. Is that ok? Are you sure you handle people trying? Or do you prefer your shitty MSU?

You discarding my reason was taking a negative perception. There is no two ways about it because the reasoning was completely sound and plausible. It's clear that Brad Peterson & Gibson have been on the road recruiting the last few days since the dead period ended & they've been introducing the new staff to the coaches. If we had a full defensive staff right now that would not be possible. Seems like a pretty legit reason to me to delay hiring a few coaches.

If you want to be negative, that's cool with me. This isn't Genespage, but it is what it is.

I bet you're pretty old

I'm not arguing that we can't compete at the highest levels but it will take a lot of work by whoever is coaching us. This job and its location isn't for everyone. It's probably the most brutal location in the country recruiting wise cause of TTown and Oxford 90 miles away, while AU & LSU are within 4 hours or so. You act as though everyone should be slobbering at the bit to come coach here cause you think we're a top 10 job or so, when in reality more like top 20 maybe or a little below that, and that's primarily due to salary and being in SEC.

Newberry has a family to consider and a couple of coaches he wants to take care of too. Can't fault a man for that.

And I believe Leach wants to work long term on getting us there, and that's probably a conversation he had with Newberry on keeping continuity in the coaching staff

So Newberry has some things to consider, but your post came across like you believed he should've just jumped at the chance and hit the road recruiting like 4 days ago after just a brief 1 hour interview.

This job isn't for everybody so if he has any reservations, I'd rather he decline it myself although I'm really sold on him as a DC.

Jarius
01-21-2020, 08:04 AM
You don't think we have a smart enough person in house to do this?

it didn't strike you as convenient that Peterson & Gibson have been crisscrossing the state the last 2 days?

No

FISHDAWG
01-21-2020, 08:06 AM

I think Leach has a residence there but not totally sure ... I believe he used too anyway

OLJWales
01-21-2020, 08:31 AM
IYOK feels good about Newberry, Newberry flew to interview then flew to Vegas to prolly check our facilities and now is with family talking about the most important move of their lives. Wife was on the fence till he told her how much extra cash would be flowing into the checking account.

So there you have it. Good morning and happy Tuesday.

Big4Dawg
01-21-2020, 09:14 AM
Steve's latest update doesn't sound like good news....says he's hearing conflicting things right now but we should know something today

HailStateSZN19
01-21-2020, 09:19 AM
Steve's latest update doesn't sound like good news....says he's hearing conflicting things right now but we should know something today

If Newberry is taking this long to decide, it can't be a good thing. He's at Navy and there's nothing wrong with wanting to stay at a prestigious place like Navy if that's what he wants, but it ain't an SEC DC gig where he'd be getting paid $1 mil+ per year. He's met with Leach in Key West and for 1-2 days in Starkville. If he really wanted it, shouldn't it have been a pretty easy decision after meeting that long and seeing the campus/facilities?

If he doesn't want it, go get Bateman at UNC. He'd be a very solid option.

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 09:21 AM
If Newberry is taking this long to decide, it can't be a good thing. He's at Navy and there's nothing wrong with wanting to stay at a prestigious place like Navy if that's what he wants, but it ain't an SEC DC gig where he'd be getting paid $1 mil+ per year. He's met with Leach in Key West and for 1-2 days in Starkville. If he really wanted it, shouldn't it have been a pretty easy decision after meeting that long and seeing the campus/facilities?

If he doesn't want it, go get Bateman at UNC. He'd be a very solid option.

You never know all the circumstances about someone else's life.

I don't think he would've flown to Key West & then come to Starkville for the weekend if he didn't want the job. There just must be some circumstances that require working through

HailStateSZN19
01-21-2020, 09:28 AM
Rosebowl just said it will NOT be Newberry. Said in the end, it was a mutual decision.

So...... who's up next?

ETA: That "mutual decision" BS has to be spin. He just turned us down didn't he?

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 09:30 AM
Rosebowl just said it will NOT be Newberry. Said in the end, it was a mutual decision.

So...... who's up next?

"mutual decision" meaning we wouldn't let him bring all his assistants & he didn't think the job was good enough to concede that.

Pretty embarrassing, but just like with Napier, it's best that we get someone that WANTS to be at MSU. We'll be better off for it.

Hopefully Leach finds that guy

- I love that Leach brought his entire offensive, but I'm iffy on the defensive guys.

- On the other hand, Leach is obviously very loyal. That likely means that once the staff is set we won't see as much turnover as we've seen with other MSU staffs

msstate7
01-21-2020, 09:31 AM

So...... who's up next?

ETA: That "mutual decision" BS has to be spin. He just turned us down didn't he?

Just wanting to keep Peterson on the road, right? Fail

Ifyouonlyknew
01-21-2020, 09:32 AM
Look like I was wrong & some things went left.

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2020, 09:32 AM

So...... who's up next?

I was told Newberry wanted to bring two assistant coaches with him. We may have agreed to 1 but not 2 and that was the deal breaker. I don't normally have that much inside info, but that is what I was told this morning from someone that should know.

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 09:33 AM
Just wanting to keep Peterson on the road, right? Fail

yeah, I whiffed on that one. Thanks for pointing that out

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 09:33 AM

What do you think was the deal breaker?

msstate7
01-21-2020, 09:34 AM
I was told Newberry wanted to bring two assistant coaches with him. We may have agreed to 1 but not 2 and that was the deal breaker. I don't normally have that much inside info, but that is what I was told this morning from someone that should know.

I thought leach gave the DC autonomy.

HailStateSZN19

Was it centered around us filling out defensive positions before we hired him & that wouldn't allow him to bring some of his guys with him?

I swear if we're letting WSU defensive coaches get in the way of hiring a solid DC...... we got an increased salary pool to hire better assistants and we're just bringing over the whole damn WSU staff. I'm fine with the offensive coaches but hell naw on all the WSU defensive coaches. McBath I'm cool with but everyone else on their defensive staff is a no-go from me personally.

msstate7
yeah, I whiffed on that one. Thanks for pointing that out

No problem haha

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 09:35 AM
I thought leach gave the DC autonomy.

I think he does from a coaching stand point, but Leach is loyal to his coaches.

That's frustrating on one hand, but on the other, it likely means we'll see very little staff turnover, which will be a positive.

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 09:37 AM
Was it centered around us filling out defensive positions before we hired him & that wouldn't allow him to bring some of his guys with him?

I swear if we're letting WSU defensive coaches get in the way of hiring a solid DC...... we got an increased salary pool to hire better assistants and we're just bringing over the whole damn WSU staff. I'm fine with the offensive coaches but hell naw on all the WSU defensive coaches. McBath I'm cool with but everyone else on their defensive staff is a no-go from me personally.

With the defensive talent they had WSU, I don't know if we know how good of coaches these guys are.

If Leach thinks they are good, then I'm going to believe him at this point in time because his resume demands that.

I'd much rather have a staff with continuity & coaching ability than just crooters that are mercenaries to the industry

msstate7
01-21-2020, 09:37 AM
This has a chance of becoming a disaster. DC is a huge hire for us

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 09:39 AM

Not as long as Leach hires the right guy. I don't think anyone here had heard of Newberry till last week.

He'll find a good one.

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2020, 09:40 AM

With 80-90% of our signing class already signed, there is very little reason to rush. The optics aren't great, but overall we will be fine. If what I'm hearing is accurate I think the decision to not agree to Newberry's "terms" was reasonable. Not something I want to put on the board, but I think we made the right call.

Doesn't make it look any better, but still right call.

ShotgunDawg
Newberry went back & forth with Navy before they let him hire his two guys.

Kiffin isn't letting Durkin hire his staff either.

HailStateSZN19
With the defensive talent they had WSU, I don't know if we know how good of coaches these guys are.

If Leach thinks they are good, then I'm going to believe him at this point in time because his resume demands that.

I'd much rather have a staff with continuity & coaching ability than just crooters that are mercenaries to the industry

You might be right, but with us upping our salary pool by $1.2 mil, I think it's fair to question why we don't get some defensive guys with deep SEC/Southern roots who can coach who also have some connections/relationships built already with kids in our region. I didn't expect us to start poaching coaches here and there from P5 schools to fill out the staff but I sure didn't think we upped our salary pool to just bring the whole WSU defensive staff with him. I think that's a fair concern.

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 09:41 AM
With 80-90% of our signing class already signed, there is very little reason to rush. The optics aren't great,

This

I've learned that coaching hire optics don't matter after the 1st play of their tenure. It's meaningless & more about the fan base's ego

Ifyouonlyknew
01-21-2020, 09:42 AM
This sucks & looks bad but much like the HC search the end result is all that matters. If he still ends up with a good DC all is well. If he ends up with trash then the search looks terrible.

I don't think this hiring of staff is a big deal. There are very few coordinators that are hired that actually bring their staff with them.

HailStateSZN19
01-21-2020, 09:43 AM
This sucks & looks bad but much like the HC search the end result is all that matters. If he still ends up with a good DC all is well. If he ends up with trash then the search looks terrible.

I don't think this hiring of staff is a big deal. There are very few coordinators that are hired that actually bring their staff with them.

Who do we turn to now? Really hope we go after Bateman at UNC.

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 09:43 AM
You might be right, but with us upping our salary pool by $1.2 mil, I think it's fair to question why we don't get some defensive guys with deep SEC/Southern roots who can coach who also have some connections/relationships built already with kids in our region. .

Because Leach doesn't value southern roots with connections. He said so in "Swing Your Sword"

Give me the staff with coaching continuity & trust. That's how well oiled machines are built.

To me, the increase in coaching salaries is more about retaining these guys after year 1 than it is about poaching coaches that don't fit or Leach doesn't trust

msstate7
01-21-2020, 09:44 AM
Who do we turn to now? Really hope we go after Bateman at UNC.

Not sure we could pull him. They're a preseason top 25 team

StarkVegasSteve
01-21-2020, 09:47 AM
At this point just hand a blank check to Alex Grinch and let him fill it out.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-21-2020, 09:48 AM
At this point just hand a blank check to Alex Grinch and let him fill it out.

That's not an advancement in his career.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-21-2020, 09:49 AM
I'd double back around to Hazelton at Kansas St. I like him a lot,

Irondawg
01-21-2020, 09:49 AM
Newberry went back & forth with Navy before they let him hire his two guys.

Kiffin isn't letting Durkin hire his staff either.

Well in the end that worked out for Navy...just hate it couldn't work out here b/c he's apparently good and proven moreso with the fact the Leach wanted him. Just seems that could have been conversations that could have happened before wasting 3 days of our time. If that was a deal-breaker you would have though that could have been communicated upfront

Commercecomet24
01-21-2020, 09:51 AM
I'd double back around to Hazelton at Kansas St. I like him a lot,

This. He would by my first choice.

Maroonthirteen
01-21-2020, 09:58 AM
Kate was not impressed with driving 20 miles to the nearest mall. Then upon seeing Leigh Mall, she asked where's the Target.

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 10:02 AM
Kate was not impressed with driving 20 miles to the nearest mall. Then upon seeing Leigh Mall, she asked where's the Target.

if this was the reason or something close, then I'm glad we filtered that out before he came.

MSU will always be more successful when we have the full commitment of people that want to be here.

I can't imagine how big Mullen would've won if he & his DC wanted to be here for an extended period of time.

Irondawg
01-21-2020, 10:03 AM
I will say this on Newberry - I have a small connection to a kid that's going to Navy next year and would play defense and the word was that he hasn't talked to Newberry hardly at all and his position coach not much more so while a good coach his guys may not have really been cut out for the recruiting requirements.

Irondawg
01-21-2020, 10:10 AM
I'll also agree with Shotgun that the important this is finding a guy that wants to be here and feels comfortable with Starkville. If the family isn't comfortable then he's not going to be comfortable and everyone will suffer for it. We've got to find a way from having 4 different DC's every 5 years.

msstate7
01-21-2020, 10:14 AM
I hope we hire a DC that we have to worry about leaving every year. We aren't a destination job for hardly any aspiring coaches

Irondawg
01-21-2020, 10:29 AM
Ideally though you want to try and find the Bud Foster type guy that is a great coach and wants to build something and maintain it at a place he's happy.

smootness
01-21-2020, 10:33 AM
Ideally though you want to try and find the Bud Holmes type guy that is a great coach and wants to build something and maintain it at a place he's happy.

You talking about Bud Foster? He came with Beamer to VT initially, so those that don't like that Leach is bringing some defensive guys with him won't love that.

But regardless, that is exceedingly rare. And if you could only have one (quality or loyalty), you would pick quality. So it seems like the most important thing is finding the best coach you can, and if that guy has loyalty, great. But it's better to have a very good coach who is only here a year or 2 than a mediocre coach who is fine staying forever.

Irondawg
01-21-2020, 10:38 AM
You talking about Bud Foster? He came with Beamer to VT initially, so those that don't like that Leach is bringing some defensive guys with him won't love that.

But regardless, that is exceedingly rare. And if you could only have one (quality or loyalty), you would pick quality. So it seems like the most important thing is finding the best coach you can, and if that guy has loyalty, great. But it's better to have a very good coach who is only here a year or 2 than a mediocre coach who is fine staying forever.

Thanks - went back and fixed it. And yeah those guys are rare and yes you want to find the best coach available but if you have two guys close you want to find the guy least likely to constantly be looking for a way out. Our extreme instability on the defensive side has hurt us.

CadaverDawg
01-21-2020, 11:01 AM
Hope the new guy doesn't want to keep Buckley

Cooterpoot
01-21-2020, 11:10 AM

Bud Holmes has a Yancy connection.

CadaverDawg
01-21-2020, 11:21 AM
The concerning part to me is that whoever this new guy is, will be expected to accept the hires on the defensive side that Leach has already made (the WSU guys). What good DC will be ok with someone else choosing his staff? Is that normal? This is a really important hire. Wonder if we could go and poach one of the best defensive head coaches from the lower ranks and pay him $1,000,000 to take a Title demotion but to get into big time college football and get a raise? I hate to do that, but I don't see many good DC's going to a place where their staff has been picked for them and all have long standing relationships with the head coach where he doesn't. Maybe it's more common than I realize

CadaverDawg
01-21-2020, 11:27 AM
Tell Jay Hopson we'll pay him $900k, which would be a raise for him, to become our DC. He's got a better chance at becoming a P5 HC and/or advance his career as DC of a SEC program than as HC at USM. Just a wild thought

msstate7
01-21-2020, 11:29 AM
What happened to the ULL guy? He still a candidate?

HailStateSZN19
01-21-2020, 11:30 AM
What happened to the ULL guy? He still a candidate?

Aranda stole Roberts from ULL this morning to come be DC at Baylor. It's been confirmed by Feldman and a few others so he's off the table.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-21-2020, 11:39 AM
Coordinators rarely pick staff. If they're lucky they may bring 1 guy with them. 2 would be the max & extremely rare. That's goes for offense & defense.

smootness
01-21-2020, 11:40 AM
The concerning part to me is that whoever this new guy is, will be expected to accept the hires on the defensive side that Leach has already made (the WSU guys). What good DC will be ok with someone else choosing his staff? Is that normal? This is a really important hire. Wonder if we could go and poach one of the best defensive head coaches from the lower ranks and pay him $1,000,000 to take a Title demotion but to get into big time college football and get a raise? I hate to do that, but I don't see many good DC's going to a place where their staff has been picked for them and all have long standing relationships with the head coach where he doesn't. Maybe it's more common than I realize

Yes, that is normal.

Think about all the DC's we have had come through here over the last 10 years. They weren't all bringing a new staff with them. Sometimes a coordinator will bring a guy or two with them, but rarely are they overhauling their entire staff. Just about any time a new coordinator is hired from outside the program, they are inheriting position coaches.

TALL DAWG
if this was the reason or something close, then I'm glad we filtered that out before he came.

MSU will always be more successful when we have the full commitment of people that want to be here.

I can't imagine how big Mullen would've won if he & his DC wanted to be here for an extended period of time.

Good gracious...SD....if u believe this was the reason....I still have some ocean front property for u in...Petal.

dawgday166

I was concerned about not having a spot for both his guys and was hoping something could be worked out.

I'm good with the D guys Leach has brung with him ... he knows if guys can coach or not and if they can't he'll cut ties with them (from all I've read and researched on him).

dawgday166
01-21-2020, 11:42 AM
Yes, that is normal.

Think about all the DC's we have had come through here over the last 10 years. They weren't all bringing a new staff with them. Sometimes a coordinator will bring a guy or two with them, but rarely are they overhauling their entire staff. Just about any time a new coordinator is hired from outside the program, they are inheriting position coaches.

Mullen had a revolving door and outside of 1 horrible year and another meh year he had good Ds. Grantham came into a ready made staff himself. I also believe Shoop had zero input to his 2018 staff and maybe 2019 too.

Huntsville Dawg
01-21-2020, 11:51 AM
So do we have any idea on when we will be hiring a DC? Are we just striking out with everyone or are we trying to work out a deal with someone in particular?

StarkVegasSteve
01-21-2020, 11:55 AM
So to reset , who are our realistic candidates at this point?

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 11:56 AM
I hope we hire a DC that we have to worry about leaving every year. We aren't a destination job for hardly any aspiring coaches

I wish this weren't the way college football was.

It makes it damn near impossible for a non-traditional blue blood to become one

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 11:57 AM
The concerning part to me is that whoever this new guy is, will be expected to accept the hires on the defensive side that Leach has already made (the WSU guys). What good DC will be ok with someone else choosing his staff? Is that normal?

Yes it's normal. Virtually no DC gets to choose their staff

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 11:58 AM
Good gracious...SD....if u believe this was the reason....I still have some ocean front property for u in...Petal.

? What are you talking about?

msstate7
01-21-2020, 12:06 PM
So, does this open the door for that shoop fella?

dawgday166
01-21-2020, 12:09 PM

I would like that myself but I think Leach prefers a clean slate himself. Not sure Shoop wants to be in Vegas either. He was looking to move on even if Joe stayed but that may have been due to lax culture too.

gtowndawg
01-21-2020, 12:16 PM

Wondered the same thing!

OLJWales
01-21-2020, 12:20 PM
I thought Shoop had already landed elsewhere. He still in limbo?

msstate7
01-21-2020, 12:21 PM
I would like that myself but I think Leach prefers a clean slate himself. Not sure Shoop wants to be in Vegas either. He was looking to move on even if Joe stayed but that may have been due to lax culture too.

Well we swung and miss on our top guy, so I hope leach reconsiders. Shoop is a good coach

smootness
01-21-2020, 12:21 PM
Shoop was hired by Michigan as safeties coach. It might be possible to bring him back as DC, but I seriously doubt it, and at this point, just move on and get someone else. There's no real need to bring him back.

msstate7
01-21-2020, 12:24 PM
Shoop was hired by Michigan as safeties coach. It might be possible to bring him back as DC, but I seriously doubt it, and at this point, just move on and get someone else. There's no real need to bring him back.

A safeties coach?!!! Damn, 1 year removed from a top D in the country

dawgday166
01-21-2020, 12:24 PM
Well we swung and miss on our top guy, so I hope leach reconsiders. Shoop is a good coach

Absolutely agree but ... not getting my hopes up on it. I'm like you in that I wish Leach would reconsider.

Irondawg
01-21-2020, 12:25 PM
If we were going to keep Shoop we would have done it already. I still think we need to look at the USM guy or the UAB guy.

My guess is we're about to get somebody out of left field

HailStateSZN19
01-21-2020, 12:27 PM
Like IYOK said, swing back around to Hazelton at KSU and push for him. He only makes $550k. Offer him $1-1.2 mil.

Go talk to Bateman. It's been said he had interest in the job but we never contacted him much. He's only making $600k. Get to $1-1.2 mil and I don't see him saying no to that if he has interest in the job.

I'm guessing it's going to be someone completely out of left field and won't be either of them.

Bothrops
It makes it damn near impossible for a non-traditional blue blood to become one

Clemson is the only one I can remember that did.

dawgday166

There's a thought in me that Shoop may not want to be DC right now anyway. Not sure tho. Between his down years at TN and this past year and the acrimonious parting with PSU, he has some baggage that may be putting top tier programs off some. I was kinda fearing that Saban may snatch him up. Glad that didn't happen.

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 12:36 PM
Clemson is the only one I can remember that did.

And they did that due to staff continuity

msstate7
01-21-2020, 12:38 PM

And being in a great location to land talent in a conference that allows teams to rise. I don't think dabo could've built that program in Starkville in the sec west

Prediction? Pain.
01-21-2020, 12:42 PM

There's a thought in me that Shoop may not want to be DC right now anyway. Not sure tho. Between his down years at TN and this past year and the acrimonious parting with PSU, he has some baggage that may be putting top tier programs off some. I was kinda fearing that Saban may snatch him up. Glad that didn't happen.

Yeah, Shoop's had a weird run over the past four seasons in the SEC. 2018's defense was obviously elite. But the other three years stunk. Bad. Maybe it's just bad luck, but damn. I mean, in three of the past four years his defenses have been 12th, 11th, and 12th in the SEC scoring D, 14th, 10th, and 11th in the SEC in total D, 12th, 14th, and 11th in the SEC in opponents' yards per rush, 9th, 14th, and 10th in the SEC in opponents' 3rd down conversion %, and 10th, 10th, and 13th in opponents' redzone TD%.

That's either a hell of a string of inexplicably bad luck or a troubling trend. Either way, I can see why another school would look at those numbers from afar and balk at giving him a P5 DC gig right now.

dawgday166
01-21-2020, 12:45 PM
And being in a great location to land talent in a conference that allows teams to rise. I don't think dabo could've built that program in Starkville in the sec west

He certainly is in a pretty good location and also not surrounded by 2 behemoths and 2 break the rules at all costs wannabees either.

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 12:57 PM

Agree. Proximity to Atlanta & in a conference that provided little resistance. Huge advantages.

Still though, they've always had those advantages. It was the coaching staff continuity & a transcendent leader in Dabo that really figured out the secret sauce.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-21-2020, 01:07 PM
Clayton White - WKU
David Reese - UAB
Scottie Hazelton - Kansas St
Jay Bateman - UNC

Some names to remember

dawgday166
01-21-2020, 01:13 PM
Clayton White - WKU
David Reese - UAB
Scottie Hazelton - Kansas St
Jay Bateman - UNC

Some names to remember

What's your thoughts on White & Reese?

Really Clark?
01-21-2020, 01:16 PM

Not with Veneables. If he wanted a HC job he would have been gone years ago and then we have no idea if that would be true with a DC.

mparkerfd20
01-21-2020, 01:17 PM
This whole coaching search even with Leach has the potential to be a cluster**** of epic proportions.

deadheaddawg
01-21-2020, 01:22 PM
This whole coaching search even with Leach has the potential to be a cluster**** of epic proportions.

I don't think you understand what epic proportions means

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 01:24 PM

Only if he hires the wrong guy. Whether or not you've heard of him is meaningless.

Personally, I think once DCs are competent, there is very little difference between them.

Defense above all else is decided by talent & speed. Offense is where I care much more about hiring.

Mullen had a different DC almost every year at MSU & he still won

Ifyouonlyknew
01-21-2020, 01:37 PM

Nobody remembers coaching searches if the coaches win. You think TN fans care about the Schiano debacle & all the jokes they took? Nobody cares now because it's looking like the got the hire right.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-21-2020, 01:39 PM
What's your thoughts on White & Reese?

They both have things that I like about them.

msstate7
01-21-2020, 01:40 PM
Nobody remembers coaching searches if the coaches win. You think TN fans care about the Schiano debacle & all the jokes they took? Nobody cares now because it's looking like the got the hire right.

Prepare for a debate on your last statement, which I agree with BTW

MaroonFlounder
01-21-2020, 01:51 PM
Defense may suck this season. Get ready for it.

I look for most of the loud, angry MSU fans that hated Moohead to hate Leach just as bad (except for the improved passing numbers).

We will lose games, but bet the over. Can't have it all. It's a trade-off. Offense will put butts in the seats.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-21-2020, 01:53 PM
Prepare for a debate on your last statement, which I agree with BTW

I mean I guess the last half of the season could be a fluke but he looks like he has them headed in the right direction.

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 01:54 PM

I look for most of the loud, angry MSU fans that hated Moohead to hate Leach just as bad (except for the improved passing numbers).

We will lose games, but bet the over. Can't have it all. It's a trade-off. Offense will put butts in the seats.

You think the defense may suck because the Navy coach didn't take the job?

I'm missing your point here.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-21-2020, 01:55 PM

I think we need to... you know hire a DC 1st. The defense may suck but I think it's a little early to say.

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 01:57 PM
I mean I guess the last half of the season could be a fluke but he looks like he has them headed in the right direction.

Butch Jones took them to two 9 win seasons.

Was he the right guy?

I agree that Pruitt has them going in the right direction, but I see very little chance that he gets the offense figured out at a high enough level to become an SEC East contender.

He's at best the 4th best coach in the East as it's undeniable that Smart, Mullen, & Stoops are better.

I think Tennessee has stabilized some under him, but I haven't watched them yet & thought "the light bulb came on" & that's usually the case when the right coach is in place.

msstate7
01-21-2020, 01:57 PM

I'll have more patience with leach bc of his track record and bc I don't think this is a very good team

Ifyouonlyknew
01-21-2020, 02:00 PM

Was he the right guy?

I agree that Pruitt has them going in the right direction, but I see very little chance that he gets the offense figured out at a high enough level to become an SEC East contender.

He's at best the 4th best coach in the East as it's undeniable that Smart, Mullen, & Stoops are better.

I think Tennessee has stabilized some under him, but I haven't watched them yet & thought "the light bulb came on" & that's usually the case when the right coach is in place.

You're fine to feel that way. I'm not trying to sway anybody opinion. My point remains nobody is still laughing about their coaching search but the team is playing well.

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 02:00 PM
I'll have more patience with leach bc of his track record and bc I don't think this is a very good team

I agree. I think we have the right guy now & I think he has a chip on his shoulder.

Bo Bounds was talking this morning about how his "source"(who I am sure is Bartoo) said that Leach was irate when Oregon passed on him in favor of Cristobal. Couldn't believe they didn't hire him

I think Leach has a mighty big chip on his shoulder due to the lack of respect that people have given his career & he's out to prove something.

I don't think this team will be great, but I still think they could win 7-8 games. I think this year's team may remind us of the "We Believe" year team. They started off 7 or 8-0 but weren't very good.

The schedule lines up for us this year. If we eek one out at NC State, we're going to win some games.

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 02:01 PM
You're fine to feel that way. I'm not trying to sway anybody opinion. My point remains nobody is still laughing about their coaching search but the team is playing well.

For sure. I think some of that perception is aided by how terrible Joe & Chad were. Pruitt came away looking better than he really is.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-21-2020, 02:10 PM
For sure. I think some of that perception is aided by how terrible Joe & Chad were. Pruitt came away looking better than he really is.

I don't think it's that because TN not supposed to be comparing itself to Arky or MSU. I think it's because they didn't look good his 1st 15-16 games then he won 7 out of his last 8. 6 of those 7 teams were bowl eligible. He did a good job of turning the ship around.

Irondawg
01-21-2020, 02:11 PM
The biggest thing that kills defense from what I see is (1) Missed assignments/ confusion and (2) Base lack of talent. The really bad defenses we've had at state just were slow or blew a lot of assignments on the backend.

We need enough recruiters to get enough talent to compete and then coaches who can implement it properly.

Todd4State
01-21-2020, 02:12 PM
Just offer Jay Bateman and call it a day.

HailStateSZN19
01-21-2020, 02:13 PM
Is Mike Stoops a darkhorse candidate here, IYOK?

I'm not too familiar with how his defenses have actually done in the past. I just know everyone now remembers him for OU's awful defense in 2018. How has he done other than that year though?

Commercecomet24
01-21-2020, 02:13 PM
I don't think it's that because TN not supposed to be comparing itself to Arky or MSU. I think it's because they didn't look good his 1st 15-16 games then he won 7 out of his last 8. 6 of those 7 teams were bowl eligible. He did a good job of turning the ship around.

This. Pruitt had them playing hard and that comeback bowl win showed how far they had come from a team that earlier in the season would've packed it in after being down like that. He appears to have changed the culture of that program. They gave bama a tough game too.

ShotgunDawg
01-21-2020, 02:16 PM
This. Pruitt had them playing hard and that comeback bowl win showed how far they had come from a team that earlier in the season would've packed it in after being down like that. He appears to have changed the culture of that program. They gave bama a tough game too.

Kind of like Felipe Franks, I've not watched TN yet under Pruitt and thought they looked like a good football team, even though their record may say otherwise

Ifyouonlyknew
01-21-2020, 02:27 PM

I'm not too familiar with how his defenses have actually done in the past. I just know everyone now remembers him for OU's awful defense in 2018. How has he done other than that year though?

That's the 1st name I've heard that I've been 100% against.

smootness
01-21-2020, 02:28 PM

Was he the right guy?

Well no it isn't. We don't really know enough about Pruitt to make that statement.

And Pruitt doesn't necessarily have to figure out the offense himself. Smart doesn't run any offense. Neither does Orgeron. Saban doesn't really, either.

Really Clark?
01-21-2020, 02:30 PM

He didn’t have a good defense at OK since 2015. The rest were below average to horrid

HailStateSZN19
01-21-2020, 02:30 PM
That's the 1st name I've heard that I've been 100% against.

I personally don't know much about his history of defenses. Just that OU fans HATED him as the DC for the last several years seemed like.

What's your opinion on Ruffin McNeill? Is he a candidate? Coached with Leach for a while at TT and at OU right now.

I say just offer Bateman the job and let's roll but that's just my own opinion which don't amount to too much in a coaching search lol.

KOdawg1
01-21-2020, 04:52 PM
You can sugar coat it all you want, and no I'm not panicking, but I'm not thrilled with the way this is going. WSU's defensive guys have done nothing that have warranted coaching in the SEC. They may be good coaches, but anyone on a staff that finished 11th in the Pac12 in total defense, 286 passing yards, 170 rushing yards, and 31 points a game should not be promoted to the SEC. I don't care if there was a talent gap or if they fired the DC mid-way through the year. SEC ready coaches don't finish in the bottom of weak defensive conference. I wish Leach would've hired a DC and let him assemble the staff. If I'm a DC and I see that half of my defensive staff is already assembled for me with guys from the shittiest defense in the Pac12, I'm saying thanks but no thanks.

MaroonFlounder
01-21-2020, 05:05 PM
You think the defense may suck because the Navy coach didn't take the job?

I'm missing your point here.

I like the talented young D-Line. The back half of the defense will struggle.

Combined with the fact that air raid will have our Defensive guys right back out there, continuously.

HailStateSZN19
01-21-2020, 05:18 PM
What about Marcus Freeman, DC at Cincinnati? Saw his name mentioned on the 247 board by someone other than a mod over there. He's drastically improved their defense the last 2 years in a pass-happy and high-scoring league. He's young and on the rise so he'd be a little bit of a gamble but could be a high upside choice. Here's Cincy's defensive stats the last 3 years:

2017 (1st season): 93rd scoring defense, 31.7 PPG, gave up 224 passing YPG & 204 rushing YPG for total of 428 YPG

2018: jumped all the way up to the 8th scoring defense, 17.2 PPG, gave up 191 passing YPG & 111 rushing YPG for total of 302 YPG and averaged 1.5 TO's per game

2019: 24th scoring defense, 20.6 PPG, gave up 223 passing YPG & 138 rushing YPG for total of 361 YPG, averaged 2 TO's per game

Really Clark?
01-21-2020, 05:24 PM
I like the talented young D-Line. The back half of the defense will struggle.

Combined with the fact that air raid will have our Defensive guys right back out there, continuously.

That’s not true. WSU defended the fewest plays in the PAC-12, 3 of the last 4 years. A lot of people have a false belief that his air raid is some type of HUNH or up tempo offense. That not true. They only are defending about 65-70 plays a game.

KOdawg1
01-21-2020, 05:28 PM
That’s not true. WSU defended the fewest plays in the PAC-12, 3 of the last 4 years. A lot of people have a false belief that his air raid is some type of HUNH or up tempo offense. That not true. They only are defending about 65-70 plays a game.
What a lot of people don't understand is that Leach's offense basically has running plays, except they're just not actual running plays. Short slants, screens, quick outs; they serve the purpose of a running play, except it just stretches the field. Those plays burn clock just like any rushing play.

Spiderman
01-21-2020, 06:04 PM
Just offer Jay Bateman and call it a day.

Why would Bateman leave UNC ? Hell the Navy coach wouldn't leave, why would Bateman?

bobcat91
01-21-2020, 06:21 PM
Why would Bateman leave UNC ? Hell the Navy coach wouldn't leave, why would Bateman?

Double his salary. It's why most folks change jobs

Santiago
01-21-2020, 06:21 PM

edit. delete

Irondawg
01-21-2020, 06:26 PM
I still think we need to make another run at Randy Shannon. He supposedly makes $300K there at UCF - would he really turn down more than double the pay to stay in FL?

And I wonder if Walters comes back into play if LSU doesn't want him

Todd4State
01-21-2020, 06:27 PM

We can offer more money and an opportunity to coach in the SEC. I mean, we've been able to draw elite DC's going back to at least the 1990's. We can offer pretty close to top dollar now. I don't think UNC would outbid us if it came down to it.

Todd4State
01-21-2020, 06:28 PM
My top two are Bateman and Rocky Long. Either one.

Spiderman
01-21-2020, 06:35 PM
Double his salary. It's why most folks change jobs

Didn't help with Newberry