PDA

View Full Version : Miss. State Women's Basketball vs LSU

jdelta02
01-16-2020, 07:04 PM
Women's Basketball Tonight....

Miss. State vs LSU
7:00 pm, Humphrey Coliseum (Starkville MS)

LSU is a very good team, has represented very well on the basketball court this season. A key name for LSU is power forward Ayana Mitchell. Also, Miss. State freshman guard, JaMya Mingo-Young's home state....Louisiana.

BorneDawg
01-16-2020, 08:01 PM
Wish I could watch it!

RocketDawg
01-16-2020, 08:13 PM
AEH started tonight. I believe that's the first time this year that I've seen her as a starter.

RocketDawg
01-16-2020, 08:49 PM
34-22 State at halftime. LSU was held to 6 in the 2nd quarter, with only 2 in the last several minutes.

Mobile Bay
01-16-2020, 08:58 PM
LS who?

somebodyshotmypaw
01-16-2020, 09:28 PM
AEH started tonight. I believe that's the first time this year that I've seen her as a starter.

This is her 3rd start of the season.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-16-2020, 09:31 PM

Starts prior to tonight

Carter - 17
Danberry - 17
Taylor - 17
Jackson - 16
Bibby -15
AEH - 2
Wiggins - 1

parabrave
01-16-2020, 09:32 PM
Did WFCA get hit by a Tornado? Used to listen to MSU on the radio now they are dead. Also Hailstate website is down/

parabrave
01-16-2020, 09:55 PM
Dam trying to blow this game.

mparkerfd20
01-16-2020, 10:08 PM
Pull it out 64-60

parabrave
01-16-2020, 10:16 PM
That last 2 mins was just ugly.

99jc
01-16-2020, 10:17 PM
They played like shit...no way to sugar coat it.

WSOPdawg
01-16-2020, 10:19 PM
A couple of things to talk about... Bibby's minutes have not been what was expected once SEC play began. Does Vic feel she's not recovered or lost a step coming off her knee injury? She spent most of the 2nd half tonight on the bench.

Also, I understand Vic's hesitancy to not play freshmen much (aside from Rickea), but really need Matharu to spell Mya at point more as Mya's minutes without rest may be significantly hurting the team as her play deteriorates in the 2nd half.

I think we are a Sweet 16 team this year (maybe elite 8 with the right draw) with next year's team fighting for a #1 seed. Next Monday night's game with USCe may not be pretty given they are at home and Staley will be wanting to reclaim the thrown at Vic's expense.

Dawg2003
01-16-2020, 10:33 PM
Mingo-Young is the backup PG for Myah at this point, so Matharu is only going to come in at the 2.

terradawg
01-16-2020, 10:56 PM
Yea, not a pretty win, but we did beat LSU

R2Dawg
01-16-2020, 11:03 PM
That last 2 mins was just ugly.

2 min? The 4th quarter was terrible. We couldn't throw it in the ocean. Play that way next week and we lose by 40. I still don't understand Vic's player minutes or substitutions. Taylor played bad tonight. Jackson too. Carter has really become a very good post player. Matharu needs some big minutes; she needs to take Taylors minutes. Danberry is a warrior and the heart of this team.

Lord McBuckethead
01-17-2020, 12:01 AM
We forced shot after shot right into their big girl. She must of had 8 blocks in the 4th quarter tonight. got to work a pull up jumper, every once in a while.

Cooterpoot
01-17-2020, 09:08 AM
I'll say it, Mya isn't great. She's very average. This team is young and still a little soft. Vic will have them ready by tournament time.

trob115
01-17-2020, 09:32 AM
Myah is our worst player in our starting lineup. Matharu and Young are way more talented. Wish they would take over PG

stungeon
01-17-2020, 09:41 AM
Seemed like Vic stopped substituting as much in the 4th and they were tired.

Irondawg
01-17-2020, 10:00 AM
Yeah I just looked at the box score and Carter played all 40 minutes, Myah played 36, Andi played 37.

We were clearly a bit gassed as the end and this is probably the #1 complaint people can have against Vic is that he doesn't get his big guns enough rest. With the TV timeouts and such players should easily be able to go 32 or so minutes and stay pretty fresh.

Anyone that reads any of the women's threads knows my thoughts on Myah so I'll stay away from that but Matharu you can tell just drives him crazy. She's a shoot first PG and will have some defensive lapses and he clearly stays frustrated with her as much as any other player. However her upside is insane and she currently has the highest points-per-minute on the team. I keep waiting for one game where Myah is sick to see what her and Mingo-young would do if they both got 25 minutes.

I still can't tell how good we are or can be. We have more scoring threats than we have in the past but we don't rebound nearly as well as don't play defense as well and he's still really working with lineups and rotations.

KentuckyDawg13
01-17-2020, 10:19 AM
Agree. The lack of rebounding is going to hurt vs South Carolina. Good to see Andi playing well. Hope Rickea is 100% vs SC.

Ezsoil
01-17-2020, 12:09 PM
Well I do hope that he is holding playing a zone defense for SC....it would have been so effective against LSU....I just remember Staley's press conference last year after we won..."I'm trying to figure out where that zone came from" ....he used it effectively for five trips down the court and we would not have won that game without it. He did say that he was installing a zone earlier in the year ...it just hasn't surfaced yet...this team can't match up physically with SC and Monday could be pretty ugly...

Irondawg
01-17-2020, 12:20 PM
I watch about 5 min of SC last night and they are big and strong and just play mean and aggressive as usual. We're going to get punched in the face so I'll be curious how we respond

jdelta02
01-17-2020, 12:43 PM
Aliyah Matharu has the looks of a future All American. My opinion, already has shown flashes of being as or even more explosive offensively than either Jordan Danberry or Rickea Jackson. Just not getting near the playing time. Wouldn't be surprised if she eventually became one of the best guards to ever come through the Miss. State Women's Basketball program.

RocketDawg
01-17-2020, 12:45 PM
I watch about 5 min of SC last night and they are big and strong and just play mean and aggressive as usual. We're going to get punched in the face so I'll be curious how we respond

Were they getting the benefit of selective officiating?

Dawg2003
01-17-2020, 01:15 PM
I honestly don't see anyone in the SEC beating South Carolina this year.

revdrdawg
01-17-2020, 01:40 PM
Did you watch the game? We did play some zone.

revdrdawg
01-17-2020, 01:45 PM
Matharu may be an All-American, but it will probably be at the 2. Vic does not want a shoot-first point. Her defense was improved last night, but we know Vic has not been happy with it. She will get a lot of Jordan's minutes next year.

Hypnodawg
01-17-2020, 02:21 PM
We will not be fighting for #1 next year if our free through shooting doesn't improve drastically.

Dawg2003
01-17-2020, 03:03 PM
We also need to find a true post player. Otherwise, we will not beat South Carolina for the next 4 years.

GeoDawg
01-17-2020, 03:56 PM
If you listened to the post game interview, it was clear that AEH and Coach Vic had a sit down at some point in the last week. It was also clear that CVS's response to her was that she had to play better defense. I think she did that last night when she got the opportunity. One of the things CVS stated was that we had 4 help side defenders last year and only 2 this year (my guess is Myah and Jordan). He's looking for someone else to step up and praised AEH for taking a charge. He said he never worries about AEH's shooting ability.

If you want minutes on the court, you have to play defense.

jdelta02
01-17-2020, 08:38 PM
Coach Schaefer will field tean's capable of beating South Carolina, winning championships. Also, Sidney Cooks (former McDonald's All-American) expected eligible for next season. Another newcomer...Madison Hayes is in the mix for 2020 McDonald's All-American. The other signee, DeYona Gaston....listed 6-2 is a very athletic wing/forward from the Houston, Texas area. She was once (before injuries) thought of near the very top of her recuiting class. My opinion, she matches up well physically with young players like South Carolina freshmen Brea Beal and Laeticia Amihere.

Current centers on the team, all have really good size and potential.
Jessika Carter 6-5
Yemiyah Morris 6-6
Promise Taylor 6-5 (appears as big and strong as A. Boston)
Give them time. Feel good that Coach Harris and the other coaches capable of do an outstanding job developing these players. Look at Teaira McCown's progress under them.

R2Dawg
01-17-2020, 08:49 PM
Aliyah Matharu has the looks of a future All American. My opinion, already has shown flashes of being as or even more explosive offensively than either Jordan Danberry or Rickea Jackson. Just not getting near the paying time. Wouldn't be surprised if she eventually became one of the best guards to ever come through the Miss. State Women's Basketball program.

Agree 100%. Martharu has been one of most impressive freshmen. She has to get some more minutes. Big, big get that Vic got in her. Not sure where she was rated but she was a steal.

99jc
01-18-2020, 07:40 AM
She ended up being on ESPN list of the 5 most improved players in the country. There was an article on it.

jdelta02
01-18-2020, 03:17 PM
She ended up being on ESPN list of the 5 most improved players in the country. There was an article on it.

Aliyah Matharu
#28 ESPN, Class 2019