PDA

View Full Version : Some of you Might Want to Prepare Yourselves

Spiderman
01-16-2020, 05:33 PM
on coaching hires.

Disclaimer..... I have no idea who Leach will hire as DC or for any other position.

But I will say he has a history of hiring guys you have never heard of for coaches.

He doesn't care where they have been, or what level, and he could care less about name hires.

He has said many times he just wants guys that can coach.

So don't spaz if he hires some dudes out of left field. He does a LOT of things out of left field.

I do know this, he will believe in them. He won't just hire a guy to hire him.

Look at that texas Tech staff his 1st year. Weren't many known names then, but they sure are now

dawgday166
01-16-2020, 05:56 PM
I sorta gathered that from his history. That's why I ain't gonna worry about it too much. Watching his teams, they'll hit you and are well coached but ... they have given up some big plays to get themselves beat too. My concern with a young up and comer is the propensity to maybe give up the big plays.

I also think Leach will pull the trigger somewhat quickly on a coach if he makes a misstep in hiring.

KB21
01-16-2020, 06:40 PM
While at Washington State, Mike hired a little known DBs coach from Missouri to be his defensive coordinator. Alex Grinch is now a hot name as a potential rising head coach in college football.

Todd4State
01-16-2020, 06:51 PM
I wonder if that's his M.O. or if he just wasn't able to attract them to Texas Tech and Washington State? I guess we'll find out but if he's interviewing Mizzou's DC it tells me that he may be fishing in deeper water now.

I have a feeling that he's going to hire Rocky Long. No sources. No muppet avatar. Just seems to make sense based on Leach and Long's comments.

parabrave
01-16-2020, 06:56 PM
As long as it is not Peter Sirmon/

dawgday166
01-16-2020, 07:06 PM
I wonder if that's his M.O. or if he just wasn't able to attract them to Texas Tech and Washington State? I guess we'll find out but if he's interviewing Mizzou's DC it tells me that he may be fishing in deeper water now.

I have a feeling that he's going to hire Rocky Long. No sources. No muppet avatar. Just seems to make sense based on Leach and Long's comments.

Rocky Long's comments?

Coursesuper
01-16-2020, 07:08 PM

That's his MO.

KB21
01-16-2020, 07:15 PM
Rocky Long's comments?

Rocky was mentioned as a potential defensive coordinator candidate for Washington State when Mike was still there. When asked about the possibility of playing Washington State in a bowl game this year, Rocky Long mentioned something about how he and Leach were great friends and how that would be fun. Mike Leach has also said in the past that he feels Rocky Long has the best defensive mind in college football.

I think it is probably him, but it could be some obscure secondary coach who comes in and knocks everyone socks off like Alex Grinch did at Washington State.

Pennywise
01-16-2020, 07:15 PM
As long as it is not Peter Sirmon/

Remember when Coach O didn't work out the first time?***

dawgday166
01-16-2020, 07:21 PM
Rocky was mentioned as a potential defensive coordinator candidate for Washington State when Mike was still there. When asked about the possibility of playing Washington State in a bowl game this year, Rocky Long mentioned something about how he and Leach were great friends and how that would be fun. Mike Leach has also said in the past that he feels Rocky Long has the best defensive mind in college football.

I think it is probably him, but it could be some obscure secondary coach who comes in and knocks everyone socks off like Alex Grinch did at Washington State.

Maybe he's working a deal to get Long here a couple or 3 years to maybe mentor his successor. That might could work out ok.

OLJWales
01-16-2020, 07:21 PM
dude's eccentric , walks to the beat of a different drummer. Prepare to be surprised on a regular basis with this guy. He's prolly reading some Hemingway waiting on his rod to start bending and/or cell phone to ring on a beach in south Fl right now. Then get up in the a.m. and back to work.

Ezsoil
01-16-2020, 07:34 PM
dude's eccentric , walks to the beat of a different drummer. Prepare to be surprised on a regular basis with this guy. He's prolly reading some Hemingway waiting on his rod to start bending and/or cell phone to ring on a beach in south Fl right now. Then get up in the P.M.and back to work.

FIFY

Todd4State
01-16-2020, 07:35 PM
Rocky Long's comments?

Retired this year but said that he would be open to being a DC in "the right situation". Essentially left the door open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW95J1hr5Lc

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-16-2020, 09:54 PM
Yeah looks like you are going to be right...