PDA

View Full Version : Chase Brice, Clemson QB transfer

CadaverDawg
01-16-2020, 05:05 PM
Any chance he'd want to come sling it in Leach's system for a few years? I'm guessing we have no chance, but thought I'd mention it

HailStateSZN19
01-16-2020, 05:16 PM
I think (and just my own opinion) that some bigger names (not necessarily the Fields/Hurts type transfers) are going to be interested in us now more so than previously just because of Leach's QB/Offensive track record. Come sling it around 40-50 times per game in the best conference in CFB for a guy who seems to sprinkle fairy dust on his QB's and they tear it up.

I'd definitely reach out to him and gauge his interest level. Who knows, he might be interested, or he might not.

TrapGame
01-16-2020, 05:21 PM
Never hurts to ask. Leach carries a lot of weight with QBs. He might want to give it a go.

KOdawg1
01-16-2020, 05:54 PM
If we're calling transfer QBs I'm calling KJ Costello from Stanford. 97 rating out of high school

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-16-2020, 05:54 PM
We had a QB from Grayson before..enrolled for a month and ironically transferred to Clemson. Nick Schuessler

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-16-2020, 05:55 PM
If we're calling transfer QBs I'm calling KJ Costello from Stanford. 97 rating out of high school

and recruited by Alabama by..Lane Kiffin. ughhh I wonder if they are going after him?

Santiago
01-16-2020, 06:29 PM
and recruited by Alabama by..Lane Kiffin. ughhh I wonder if they are going after him?

Kiffin may be after this Clemson QB....and if so, and he brings a qb in then surely they have one or 2 qb's transfer after this spring.

BeastMan
01-16-2020, 08:08 PM
We had a QB from Grayson before..enrolled for a month and ironically transferred to Clemson. Nick Schuessler

Ole Skinny Jeans

Sienfield
01-17-2020, 07:38 AM
Never hurts to ask. Leach carries a lot of weight with QBs. He might want to give it a go.

ISWYDT

BiscuitEater
01-17-2020, 11:20 AM

OT but Trap .. your avatar rocks !

TrapGame
01-17-2020, 11:30 AM
ISWYDT

(Wink, wink)

OT but Trap .. your avatar rocks !

Google is your friend.**

HailStateSZN19
01-17-2020, 01:46 PM
FWIW, Clemson mod on 247 says there is mutual interest between Chase Brice and MSU. Also mutual interest between he and Oregon.

nsvltndog
01-17-2020, 01:56 PM
FWIW, Clemson mod on 247 says there is mutual interest between Chase Brice and MSU. Also mutual interest between he and Oregon.

Unless competing for a west coast kid, I'm always going to like Mike Leach's chances to land QB transfers when going head to head with Joe Moorhead and Oregon. Leach took a flier on Gardner Minshew and propelled him to the NFL. Moorhead brought in his guy Tommy Stevens and we know the rest of that story. Combine that with Mike Leach's storytelling skills and I like our chances when he delivers his MSU pitch.

crackerjax
01-17-2020, 02:06 PM

Immediately eligible and has two years to play two. Led Clemson to comeback win over Syracuse his freshman season when Trevor Lawrence got hurt. Has about a 60% completion percentage as a backup. Seems intriguing at least.

StarkVegasSteve
01-17-2020, 02:37 PM

So both he and the the guy from BC are down to MSU and Oregon. If they just watch Joe's offense against competent D's then we should be able to pick which one we want.

MaroonFlounder
01-17-2020, 02:46 PM
Any chance he'd want to come sling it in Leach's system for a few years? I'm guessing we have no chance, but thought I'd mention it

I'd love to see every transfer portal QB to have interest in MSU, because of the idea of slingin' it for Leach and have it be known nationwide...in the hopes that one of these days we might strike gold (ala Joe Burreaux).

MaroonFlounder
01-17-2020, 02:49 PM

Of course, I'd much rather have BRYCE YOUNG, but he's gonna be killing us as the next great Bama QB.

KOdawg1
01-17-2020, 03:55 PM

Ahem.

HailStateSZN19
01-17-2020, 03:58 PM
Ahem.

Sounds like we're going after Costello, Brice, and Brown. And that order is exactly how I would go after them. Put the full-court press on Costello and if you can get him, that changes things quite a bit. He'd have Leach's offense running like a well-oiled machine. Need to grab him a WR or 2 out of the portal too.

KOdawg1
01-17-2020, 04:05 PM
Sounds like we're going after Costello, Brice, and Brown. And that order is exactly how I would go after them. Put the full-court press on Costello and if you can get him, that changes things quite a bit. He'd have Leach's offense running like a well-oiled machine. Need to grab him a WR or 2 out of the portal too.

Costello's numbers in 2018:

3540 yds, 65.1%, 8.6 y/a, 29 TDs, 11 Int, 155 rating

To put it into perspective, a season just like that would result in:

2nd in MSU single season passing yards and T-1st in single season passing TDs

HailStateSZN19
01-17-2020, 04:19 PM
Costello's numbers in 2018:

3540 yds, 65.1%, 8.6 y/a, 29 TDs, 11 Int, 155 rating

To put it into perspective, a season just like that would result in:

2nd in MSU single season passing yards and T-1st in single season passing TDs

Damn..... that's in Stanford's offense too.

To also put into perspective what he could do in Leach's offense:

In 2018, to put up those numbers you listed, Costello only attempted 413 passes that whole season. In Leach's system, Minshew attempted 662 passes (& btw, Minshew completed more passes [468] than Costello attempted passes [413]). In 2019, WSU's QB attempted 689 passes.

So add on about 200+ passes to what Costello attempted in the 2018 season. That's a ummm.....hefty increase of passes attempted. So needless to say, take those 2018 numbers, adjust/project them for another 200 passes thrown, and he'd blow any single-season passing records out of the water here.

DLGDawg
01-17-2020, 05:08 PM
Hopefully we can land some of these high caliber transfers. Seems we're on several that we could plug and play. Get the qb from Stanford, we just might get 8 wins.

CadaverDawg
01-17-2020, 05:10 PM
We looking at any portal WR's? I'd be curious to see if Leach thinks he has enough in the WR room to do well in his system, or if he hits the portal hard. I have a sneaky suspicion that some of these "bad WR's" will suddenly become very reliable and above average in a more simplistic system that just allows them to go catch the damn ball. Will be interesting.

Todd4State
01-18-2020, 01:47 PM
We looking at any portal WR's? I'd be curious to see if Leach thinks he has enough in the WR room to do well in his system, or if he hits the portal hard. I have a sneaky suspicion that some of these "bad WR's" will suddenly become very reliable and above average in a more simplistic system that just allows them to go catch the damn ball. Will be interesting.

I bet we're just looking for a QB, OT, LB, and S if I had to guess.

Dawgfan77
01-18-2020, 01:49 PM
Taking two to three more HS. Looking at a QB a WR or two. Could see as many as 4 transfers

coachnorm
01-18-2020, 06:31 PM

There could be a significant possibility the Leach carries more weight than Mullen with QBs from a national stand point. If Leach can pull a Mississippi QB to Pullman, he can just as easily pull a San Diego QB to Starkville? Try thinking outside the box?

ShotgunDawg
01-18-2020, 06:36 PM
There could be a significant possibility the Leach carries more weight than Mullen with QBs from a national stand point. If Leach can pull a Mississippi QB to Pullman, he can just as easily pull a San Diego QB to Starkville? Try thinking outside the box?

I think Leach absolutely carries more weight than Mullen with QBs because QBs have fun playing in his system.

Mullen is outstanding with QBs, but let's face it, how many QBs want to be a battering ram? or would they rather throw 60 times a game?

HoopsDawg
01-18-2020, 06:36 PM

I don't think we need a transfer OL unless we can get Lashley. I like our top 8 guys. Need a couple of more HS Olinemen for sure.

From the portal, I would love to see: QB/2 WR's/S/LB

RougeDawg
01-18-2020, 06:38 PM
Like I?ve said before, until we have WRs that have the basic ability to catch the tanned leather thing, it does not matter who we have playing QB.

ShotgunDawg
01-18-2020, 06:43 PM
Like I?ve said before, until we have WRs that have the basic ability to catch the tanned leather thing, it does not matter who we have playing QB.

I think you'll be shocked how much better those WRs are about to get

Ifyouonlyknew
01-18-2020, 07:00 PM
I don't think we need a transfer OL unless we can get Lashley. I like our top 8 guys. Need a couple of more HS Olinemen for sure.

I could us taking Lashley. It's not a lot in the portal right now as far as WR's go.

ShotgunDawg
01-18-2020, 07:01 PM
I could us taking Lashley. It's not a lot in the portal right now as far as WR's go.

Ole Miss just landed a 95 rated UGA transfer safety from the portal.

did that guy not have better options?

Todd4State
01-18-2020, 07:02 PM

We're looking at starting either a RS fr or RS sophomore who has barely played at LT. Or Greg Eiland. So yeah.

I like our receivers and I think with better coaching they could be a lot better.

Todd4State
01-18-2020, 07:02 PM

Is that the guy that got arrested at Georgia?

HoopsDawg
01-18-2020, 07:03 PM

man, that's tough to hear. I like Heath, Payton, and Mitchell. After those 3, I just don't see much. Do you see any potential for Pruitt, Torbor, or Gardner. I wasn't a huge fan of their HS tape.

HoopsDawg
01-18-2020, 07:05 PM
We're looking at starting either a RS fr or RS sophomore who has barely played at LT. Or Greg Eiland. So yeah.

I like our receivers and I think with better coaching they could be a lot better.

I just don't get this post. We have a 5 star in Cross, a 4 star in Dolla Bill, and a 3 year start in Eiland at the tackle spot. I would take Lashley though if we can get him.

But I don't see what you like about our receivers.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-18-2020, 07:07 PM
man, that's tough to hear. I like Heath, Payton, and Mitchell. After those 3, I just don't see much. Do you see any potential for Pruitt, Torbor, or Gardner. I wasn't a huge fan of their HS tape.

I think Torbor could help. Tulu, walley, & Adams or Rufus will have every opportunity to play. All are talented enough.

msstate7
01-18-2020, 07:10 PM

They also got a te from temple over Baylor

HoopsDawg
01-18-2020, 07:13 PM
They also got a te from temple over Baylor

Kiffin doesn't give a F about character. They will do well with the portal. This is the same guy who took De'Andre Johnson after he knocked a woman out on camera.

Todd4State
01-18-2020, 07:46 PM
I just don't get this post. We have a 5 star in Cross, a 4 star in Dolla Bill, and a 3 year start in Eiland at the tackle spot. I would take Lashley though if we can get him.

But I don't see what you like about our receivers.

Cross and Dolla Bill are highly rated and I like both of them. But they both barely have any playing time whatsoever. If we get another older and experienced player it will give them some time to develop a little more and be ready by 2021. Lashley can help us there.

Osirus has made some really nice catches and has improved a lot since he stepped on campus. See USM and Arkansas. Heath is a four star former UA All-American. Payton works hard and catches the ball when it's thrown to him. He needs to stay away from being a kick returner. He plays harder then the other receivers and for some reason that didn't translate to playing time under Moorhead while Guidry dropped every thing. Dontae Jones is very athletic and can make plays. He was better than Farrod IMO. Austin Williams has good hands and has shown that he can make difficult catches- see ULL. I think a lot of these guys were limited just because of Joe's scheme and insistence on playing mostly the same three receivers- one of whom shouldn't have been starting. I really liked Ducking's film at Holmes CC. Add in Tulu as the Jameon Lewis slot guy. There is something to work with here. I just think our team was poorly coached and the S&C was so subpar it limited the entire team in all phases of the game.

And maybe we get Alex Adams and Rufus Harvey to add to the mix.

If we can pull J'Marick Woods from the portal to replace Brian Cole I think that would set us up on defense pretty much now that we know what kind of scheme we are running. A LB would be nice as well.

TUSK
01-18-2020, 08:02 PM
Kiffin doesn't give a F about character. They will do well with the portal. This is the same guy who took De'Andre Johnson after he knocked a woman out on camera.

No way. Kiffin signed a cat that hit a woman? On camera?

HoopsDawg
01-18-2020, 08:22 PM
No way. Kiffin signed a cat that hit a woman? On camera?

LOL, touche.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-18-2020, 08:36 PM

Would you take a bad character kid if we won 11 games and went to the college football playoff with him? I would

bulldawg28
01-18-2020, 08:39 PM
Cross and Dolla Bill are highly rated and I like both of them. But they both barely have any playing time whatsoever. If we get another older and experienced player it will give them some time to develop a little more and be ready by 2021. Lashley can help us there.

Osirus has made some really nice catches and has improved a lot since he stepped on campus. See USM and Arkansas. Heath is a four star former UA All-American. Payton works hard and catches the ball when it's thrown to him. He needs to stay away from being a kick returner. He plays harder then the other receivers and for some reason that didn't translate to playing time under Moorhead while Guidry dropped every thing. Dontae Jones is very athletic and can make plays. He was better than Farrod IMO. Austin Williams has good hands and has shown that he can make difficult catches- see ULL. I think a lot of these guys were limited just because of Joe's scheme and insistence on playing mostly the same three receivers- one of whom shouldn't have been starting. I really liked Ducking's film at Holmes CC. Add in Tulu as the Jameon Lewis slot guy. There is something to work with here. I just think our team was poorly coached and the S&C was so subpar it limited the entire team in all phases of the game.

And maybe we get Alex Adams and Rufus Harvey to add to the mix.

If we can pull J'Marick Woods from the portal to replace Brian Cole I think that would set us up on defense pretty much now that we know what kind of scheme we are running. A LB would be nice as well.

Woods signed with Duke

HoopsDawg
01-18-2020, 08:39 PM
Would you take a bad character kid if we won 11 games and went to the college football playoff with him? I would

Yes. But probably not one who just freaking cold cocked a girl in the face.

msstate7
01-18-2020, 08:43 PM
Yes. But probably not one who just freaking cold cocked a girl in the face.

I'm certainly not condoning it, but we stuck with Simmons and the bengals drafted mixon. Unfortunately, talent outweighs most issues today.

ETA... if Johnson was worth a crap, he'd have been at a big program even after that

1bigdawg
01-19-2020, 07:51 AM
I think a lot of these guys were limited just because of Joe's scheme and insistence on playing mostly the same three receivers- one of whom shouldn't have been starting.

This was one of Joe's biggest failings, believing that you can only play the starters. That works at Fordham, not in the big leagues.

RougeDawg
01-19-2020, 10:23 AM
I think you'll be shocked how much better those WRs are about to get

No, doubt the simplified offense should help, but I have never seen as many dropped passes from a WR group than what we have had. And this is just not isolated to JoVesters tenure. If a ball hits your hsnds these days, it is hard to drop. Those gloves are ridiculously sticky. Catching a football without gloves, coming that hard is relatively easy to catch. No excuse with those gloves these days.

Coach34
01-19-2020, 12:03 PM
I'd expect us to have some guys transfer out after Spring practice between WR's that cant handle their new jobs and TE's that are no longer needed.

TALL DAWG
01-19-2020, 02:11 PM
I'd expect us to have some guys transfer out after Spring practice between WR's that cant handle their new jobs and TE's that are no longer needed.

Any WR who can?t catch consistently, when balls hit them in the hands, should leave now.
No need in waiting until after spring practice ends.