PDA

View Full Version : Bringing back the Interlocking MSU logo

RLM38654
01-16-2020, 04:56 PM
The contract with Adidas ends this year and with Leach being the new coach is there any chance they could sign with Nike again? I've heard that it might be possibility but probably not. I'm not the biggest fan of Nike and unfortunately they own the rights, obviously(I never understood why the school would sign that contract), but I loved that logo. I think it would be a perfect time to bring it back. Wish they could buy the rights to it somehow but that won't happen.

Dogbone
01-16-2020, 05:04 PM
Image?

Lord McBuckethead
01-16-2020, 05:16 PM
I just don't understand why we do not make up our own MSU interlocking logo that we would use? It cannot be that hard to come up with one.
As far as Nike or Adidas, whomever gives us the better overall deal. There is zero reasons why we shouldn't be one of Adidas' #1 teams with our baseball appeal and SEC Football.

RLM38654
01-16-2020, 05:20 PM
Image?

https://twitter.com/InterlockingMSU

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-16-2020, 05:34 PM
The contract with Adidas ends this year and with Leach being the new coach is there any chance they could sign with Nike again? I've heard that it might be possibility but probably not. I'm not the biggest fan of Nike and unfortunately they own the rights, obviously(I never understood why the school would sign that contract), but I loved that logo. I think it would be a perfect time to bring it back. Wish they could buy the rights to it somehow but that won't happen.

It's not going to happen. Nike or Interlocking MSU. It's over. Move on

Cooterpoot
01-16-2020, 05:35 PM
We aren't leaving Adidas and we aren't moving from the shittastic banner M.

FriarsPoint
01-16-2020, 05:45 PM
How bout just MSU. Like these
https://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/Cards/Football/75348/75348-5574918Fr.jpg

Best uniforms we ever had

gtowndawg
01-16-2020, 05:48 PM
Not a fan of Nike or the interlocking logo. Jut my opinion, to each their own.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-16-2020, 05:50 PM

Are you serious bro? We are not MSJ (Graphical mistake by the way) and the helmet doesn't even match the uniform.

Todd4State
01-16-2020, 05:57 PM
It has always puzzled me as to why MSU doesn't bring back a form of the interlocking MSU for at least a game or two?

This to me is part of the disconnect between MSU and the fans and the athletic administration. A lot to of the fans want an interlocking MSU. They would sell a ton of merchandise and make the fans happy. Based on the number of players on Twitter wanting to go to Nike I think the players would love it. Although Adidas or UA could come up with one as well and I would be fine with it.

Really simple and seems like a no brainer to me to bring it back some. It can co-exist with the M-State "branding" which hasn't really helped alleviate any confusion between us and Ole Miss. This is the kind of thing MSU doesn't do simply because of hard headedness that hurts them with their own fans.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-16-2020, 06:01 PM
It has always puzzled me as to why MSU doesn't bring back a form of the interlocking MSU for at least a game or two?

This to me is part of the disconnect between MSU and the fans and the athletic administration. A lot to of the fans want an interlocking MSU. They would sell a ton of merchandise and make the fans happy. Based on the number of players on Twitter wanting to go to Nike I think the players would love it. Although Adidas or UA could come up with one as well and I would be fine with it.

Really simple and seems like a no brainer to me to bring it back some. It can co-exist with the M-State "branding" which hasn't really helped alleviate any confusion between us and Ole Miss. This is the kind of thing MSU doesn't do simply because of hard headedness that hurts them with their own fans.

I love the logo(the one in my avatar not the MSJ) and am all for bringing it back to be apart of The Vault series of throwback apparel and have it for a throwback game once or twice a year.

JoseBrown
01-16-2020, 06:06 PM
I'd love to see the interlocking MSU comeback. I just don't like the banner M. I often wonder what maroon helmets with "STATE" on them in curved fashion like the LSU helmets.

RLM38654
01-16-2020, 06:08 PM

That would be fine with me, M state has grown on me and evolved from back when Croom started. I liked the helmets from 2015 to 17 then they changed it again. I just never heard of any other school or teams having a problem using a logo like this.

FriarsPoint
01-16-2020, 06:40 PM
Are you serious bro? We are not MSJ (Graphical mistake by the way) and the helmet doesn't even match the uniform.

Look at the picture, Einstein.

Homedawg
01-16-2020, 06:44 PM

Nike doesn't want us. And if they did, we really want to be in ole miss' shadow?

Todd4State
01-16-2020, 06:48 PM
That would be fine with me, M state has grown on me and evolved from back when Croom started. I liked the helmets from 2015 to 17 then they changed it again. I just never heard of any other school or teams having a problem using a logo like this.

It really is bizarre. I saw a LSU fan on Twitter that responded to a late 1990's MSU uniform and said "THAT is what MSU should look like" paraphrased.

The thing is I think a lot of people would like the M-State logo a LOT better if MSU simply allowed a form of the interlocking Adidas styled MSU for only a couple of games or more.

Todd4State
01-16-2020, 06:49 PM
Nike doesn't want us. And if they did, we really want to be in ole miss' shadow?

I guess living in Texas A&M's is OK.**

DCdawg
01-16-2020, 07:31 PM
I could take or leave the interlocking logo. It's time we move to putting "STATE" across the front though in football and basketball. Those are undoubtedly the best basketball unis.

msudawg1200
01-16-2020, 07:35 PM
I like the interlocking MSU, but to hell with Nike. I like the adidas stuff waaaay better than that Nike crap.

Goldendawg
01-16-2020, 08:07 PM
I like the interlocking MSU, but to hell with Nike. I like the adidas stuff waaaay better than that Nike crap.

Hail Yes! Interlocking MSU best logo ever! Never liked MState. Mississippi, (God Bless You Kang Jackie!), came out with their blue M and then what do we do? Put State banner across a M and then wonder why so many people get us mixed up! Keep adidas, but surely our engineering dept can design an interlocking MSU with a slight variation that we can use again. At least, bring it back it back for a few special games per year. Heck, we wear everything else, even UM gray pants. It's a big part of our heritage. Get it back! Hail State!

Goosedawg68
01-16-2020, 08:32 PM
How about putting the baseball logo on everything?

viverlibre
01-16-2020, 08:46 PM
While we are at it, let's brand ourselves as simply, "State." No other major program in the South (LSU, FSU) is known as "State." It would set us apart, Mississippi State is just too long and doesn't flow well.

Goldendawg
01-16-2020, 08:54 PM
BTW, who designed the M State logo and who decided to slap it all over campus and all things MSU? I'm Class of '77 and I don't remember anyone asking for an opinion poll on this change. When someone asks me where I went to college, I always reply, "STATE", that's MSU, Mississippi State University. Know anyone that's been asked this question and answers MState? Just as I thought, you never have and never will! Hail State and bring it back!

RLM38654
01-16-2020, 09:11 PM
BTW, who designed the M State logo and who decided to slap it all over campus and all things MSU? I'm Class of '77 and I don't remember anyone asking for an opinion poll on this change. When someone asks me where I went to college, I always reply, "STATE", that's MSU, Mississippi State University. Know anyone that's been asked this question and answers MState? Just as I thought, you never have and never will! Hail State and bring it back!

Heard a while ago they wanted it to be the logo for all sports(including baseball) and all things MSU. I like that logo though but I think MSU Interlocked should be for football, State over M should be basketball and M over S should be baseball. Bring it back!

Cooterpoot
01-16-2020, 09:44 PM
MState started with Richard Williams and basketball. It was modified but that's the first place I remember it. It sucks balls! It looks like some small private college BS.
I will never purchase State gear with that logo on it. We're a damn SEC team, not some Colonial Athletic Conference school.

Homedawg
01-16-2020, 10:09 PM
I guess living in Texas A&M's is OK.**

The first part is nike doesn't WANT us. So the second point is moot. However, if you are comparing the two well I can't help you.

trojandawg
01-16-2020, 10:11 PM
What's wrong with the school buying the rights to the logo if Nike will never use it again to use as we see fit? Or us designing another interlocking logo that belongs to us. Or adidas making one?

viverlibre
01-16-2020, 10:30 PM
What's wrong with the school buying the rights to the logo if Nike will never use it again to use as we see fit? Or us designing another interlocking logo that belongs to us. Or adidas making one?

I have always wondered has the university tried to purchase the logo from Nike. Obviously we were idiots for letting Nike trademark it in the first place. Simpleton probably let them have it for shoes for the water polo team.

trojandawg
01-16-2020, 10:33 PM
I'm would talk adidas going in to help buy the logo with some sort of a deal that they more of a percentage in the sales of items sold but it is out logo to do as we please if we break contract or do something where we pay their part if we break contract.

terradawg
01-16-2020, 10:52 PM
Just say no to Nike. Their marketing is divisive and pushes their social agenda. I hope the Athletics Dept. can review a contract with Adidas.

RezDog7
01-16-2020, 11:27 PM

The baseball logo is by far my favorite. Looks awesome on the helmet too.

ChillbillyRock
01-16-2020, 11:35 PM
I just don't understand why we do not make up our own MSU interlocking logo that we would use? It cannot be that hard to come up with one.
As far as Nike or Adidas, whomever gives us the better overall deal. There is zero reasons why we shouldn't be one of Adidas' #1 teams with our baseball appeal and SEC Football.

Here?s my version from a few years back: https://twitter.com/rockyvaughan/status/898616693920026626?s=21

Todd4State
01-16-2020, 11:42 PM
Here?s my version from a few years back: https://twitter.com/rockyvaughan/status/898616693920026626?s=21

THAT is exactly what I am talking about! If MSU did that a couple of times a year I would be satisfied.

trojandawg
01-17-2020, 01:29 AM
Have you been asked any more about doing some stuff like this for state? I know the white bulldog helmets came from you. Would love to see your concept for interlocking MSU brought in. That would look slick on maroon helmet white face mask

OLJWales
01-17-2020, 07:49 AM

I wanna see us try to brand us as just "STATE". the "Hail State" has grown some legs. I say we keep pumping that. that would be a very unique brand. it already sells in the SEC, would like to see if we could push the boundaries on "STATE".

FISHDAWG
01-17-2020, 08:27 AM
Just say no to Nike. Their marketing is divisive and pushes their social agenda. I hope the Athletics Dept. can review a contract with Adidas.

THIS ^^^ Screw Nike, I love the interlocking MSU but I'll be damned if I ever buy anything else with NIKE on it .... This M is to easily confused with OM

baddmann
01-17-2020, 10:21 AM
I may be in the minority here, but I like the M-State logo...

I also LOVE the STATE idea. I finally found a sweatshirt with STATE block letters on it and it is my favorite. The best part is everyone knows what it is when I wear it.

I think we need to use “STATE” more often.

bluelightstar
01-17-2020, 10:22 AM

I also LOVE the STATE idea. I finally found a sweatshirt with STATE block letters on it and it is my favorite. The best part is everyone knows what it is when I wear it.

Agreed.

Pinto
01-17-2020, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't mind going old school one game with these helmets:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cf/9b/79/cf9b79e58eaf85160047d3fb054c74a0.jpg

Also, if you wanted to go the "State" brand, put "State" over that bulldog on the helmet.

I also like these helmets:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/72/31/22/7231225dd2d61a50910a6bbcfec0eaf4.jpg

One last old school helmet:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0207/4474/products/miss_state_1972_tb_350x350.jpg?v=1431612043

I also think you could do this helmet with "State" incorporated into it:
https://images.footballfanatics.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productimages/_3612000/altimages/ff_3612961-b482eefd1cba69a15d0balt1_full.jpg&w=900

Lastly, I'm not old. I just like rugged tough looking old school helmets in football.

Maroonthirteen
01-17-2020, 11:04 AM

You are not. You see people wearing the logo everywhere on gameday. It's the best logo the school has ever produced.

ScoobaDawg
01-17-2020, 11:19 AM

Just HELL NO. I love that Logo..and it's special for baseball only.

Duckdog
01-17-2020, 11:34 AM
bring back strutting bully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bothrops
01-17-2020, 12:25 PM
Don't give a shit about Nike anymore.

Choctaw Dawg
01-17-2020, 12:28 PM
Someone asked Cohen at one of these kinda "town hall" stops he does during the summer about how things were with adidas and if there were any plans to leave them, Cohen told everyone that the contract was going to be renewed with them and that he likes what adidas is doing with the attention they give us

speedy1972
01-17-2020, 12:30 PM

The "MSJ" logo started during the Felker era and carried over to around 1995. Then, Nike revised it and made the MSU more prominent. However, the MSU logo from the Bellard and John Bond era was simple and looked good. I would agree that the unis worn in the early 80's were some of the best. I believe Memphis State had the exact same logo as us for a time.

Rejlector84sports
01-17-2020, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure where I read it, but some source said Coach Leach is good friends with the head of Under Armour.

Fred Garvin
01-17-2020, 05:40 PM
I know there are alot of folks who love the Interlocking MSU. But did not Memphis State have the same or highly similar logo? That is why I never got emotionally attached to it.

I'm a big fan of the Flying M and MS logo of the 70s, but that's when I was a kid and started my long suffering of Miss State fandom. All I ask is no Walking Bully.

lastmajordog
01-17-2020, 05:47 PM
I was always a YUGE fan of the MS logo of the Threadgill and maybe early Bond years.....those simple Maroon helmets and maroon or white (not black) jerseys were incredible....

ChillbillyRock
01-18-2020, 01:19 AM
I hope this link works to my old Pinterest page. It’s got that MSU diagonal & the old MS decal helmet concepts on there.

https://pin.it/zokz7vkqlkms3i

ChillbillyRock
01-18-2020, 01:57 AM
Here’s a couple:

https://pin.it/6t65xgzcolrzsc

https://pin.it/iuzfq2y346m673

msu15
01-18-2020, 02:02 AM
I know there are alot of folks who love the Interlocking MSU. But did not Memphis State have the same or highly similar logo? That is why I never got emotionally attached to it.

I'm a big fan of the Flying M and MS logo of the 70s, but that's when I was a kid and started my long suffering of Miss State fandom. All I ask is no Walking Bully.

Walking bully is great for merchandise but awful on a uniform

Huntsville Dawg
01-18-2020, 07:24 AM
I love the interlocking MSU logo. I have really disliked some of our modern alternate uniforms, especially the maroon and gold. Those uniforms are ugly!

Goosedawg68
01-18-2020, 11:00 AM
I love the baseball logo. I think it would be great on everything. Especially the football helmet.

Coach34
01-18-2020, 11:24 AM
M-State logo is embarrassingly terrible

Interlocking MSU needs to return

Would love just having STATE on our helmets a few games per season- and every Egg Bowl

HoopsDawg
01-18-2020, 12:08 PM
A cursive State might look cool.

HoopsDawg
01-18-2020, 12:09 PM
I love the interlocking MSU logo. I have really disliked some of our modern alternate uniforms, especially the maroon and gold. Those uniforms are ugly!

The Maroon and Gold is embarrassing

Maroonthirteen
01-18-2020, 12:18 PM
The Maroon and Gold is embarrassing

Agreed. 2019 Egg Bowl uniforms..... smh.

Maroonthirteen
01-18-2020, 12:21 PM
I find it interesting. Folks want to market "State" but prefer a "MSU" logo.

MState ..... markets us as State. It's the whole point of the banner.

parabrave
01-18-2020, 01:21 PM

100% correct

Joebob
01-18-2020, 06:50 PM

I always loved those uniforms too. Simple and classy.

Todd4State
01-18-2020, 06:56 PM
I hope this link works to my old Pinterest page. It’s got that MSU diagonal & the old MS decal helmet concepts on there.

What about the 1980 MSU helmet which simply had M S U in a diagonal spelled out? It would be smaller letters than an interlocking MSU but it may look Ok if it's not too small.

HoopsDawg
01-18-2020, 07:12 PM

Agree on the maroon and gold. Just awful.

And I don't know how anyone couldn't love the MSU interlocking logo on the helmets. Just so much better.

Todd4State
01-18-2020, 07:33 PM
I liked the Egg Bowl uniforms this year. I guess if I had to change something about them I would have gone with an all gold helmet.

Maroonthirteen
01-19-2020, 09:47 AM
This will be a popular opinion.....

The MState logo, itself, is good. The problem on the helmets is that starting with Mullen, we made the logo smaller on the helmet. It just looks like a block of white or maroon.

Since the players will prefer to white helmets on the road, the Croom white helmet needs to be the standard. Large distinctive logo, maroon stripe and face mask. I've always thought Wisconsin and Tennessee had good looking helmets.... for white helmets.

On dark helmets; Missouri's large power M looked good. When we wear maroon helmets, the logo needs to be the size of those Missouri Ms.

For the record, I liked the MSU logo. It just isn't coming back.

gtowndawg
01-19-2020, 10:03 AM
I find it interesting. Folks want to market "State" but prefer a "MSU" logo.

MState ..... markets us as State. It's the whole point of the banner.

Thank you. We have invested millions in branding M State. It's the closest we've ever come in our history to having something instantly recognized by the general public. It works great in just about all applications from print to embroidery. It's also perfect for social media profiles which is a large consideration for modern branding. I do this kind of thing for a living. Throwing away the M State brand would be insane.

Edited to add: Its worked so well I think we could just do "State" on our jerseys and it would play well now. I'm all for that!

Cooterpoot
01-19-2020, 10:11 AM
This will be a popular opinion.....

The MState logo, itself, is good. The problem on the helmets is that starting with Mullen, we made the logo smaller on the helmet. It just looks like a block of white or maroon.

Since the players will prefer to white helmets on the road, the Croom white helmet needs to be the standard. Large distinctive logo, maroon stripe and face mask. I've always thought Wisconsin and Tennessee had good looking helmets.... for white helmets.

On dark helmets; Missouri's large power M looked good. When we wear maroon helmets, the logo needs to be the size of those Missouri Ms.

For the record, I liked the MSU logo. It just isn't coming back.

MO moved away from the M just like we should. I don't care one way or the other about MSU (it looks dated to me). But the banner M should be used on the academic side, not athletics.

HoopsDawg
01-19-2020, 10:40 AM
Thank you. We have invested millions in branding M State. It's the closest we've ever come in our history to having something instantly recognized by the general public. It works great in just about all applications from print to embroidery. It's also perfect for social media profiles which is a large consideration for modern branding. I do this kind of thing for a living. Throwing away the M State brand would be insane.

Edited to add: Its worked so well I think we could just do "State" on our jerseys and it would play well now. I'm all for that!

Did Bama brand numbers? Did Penn State brand white? You can keep the M State brand but it doesn't have to be on your helmet.

gtowndawg
01-19-2020, 10:55 AM
Did Bama brand numbers? Did Penn State brand white? You can keep the M State brand but it doesn't have to be on your helmet.

Keeping it on the helmet is where we get 80% of the juice when it comes to branding. Like it or not the helmet is the best branding vehicle we have.

gtowndawg
01-19-2020, 10:56 AM
To be clear, doing a throwback with MSU on the helmet is great. Do it. I'm just arguing abandoning the M State on the helmet is not going to happen (not should it).

Maroonthirteen
01-19-2020, 12:51 PM
Bama's stencil numbers look terrible. Their script A would look much better.

Replying to thee other person, yeah.... Missouri went to that round tiger head which looks like nothing too from a distance

ChillbillyRock
01-20-2020, 03:42 AM
I hope this link works to my old Pinterest page. It?s got that MSU diagonal & the old MS decal helmet concepts on there.

heres a few of them:
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/ee/c5/04/eec504b9b6e0e60dd650b667257e08de.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/29/60/4e/29604ece15b45a85b679e41843c20a69.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9c/d8/a3/9cd8a34668fd01c96ebd7e1221453c5f.png

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/fc/31/fd/fc31fd628d1ca8f2878de0701c200b6c.jpg

Tbonewannabe
01-20-2020, 07:39 AM

Along with all the highlights that are shown in today's world has us with the M State helmets. What little recognition we have with the logo would be thrown out the window. 90% of the college football world thinks Michigan State when you say MSU. However, the M State is distinctly us.

I am not in love with the M State but I also don't have a boner for the MSJ helmets either.

Cooterpoot
01-20-2020, 08:03 AM
Bama's stencil numbers look terrible. Their script A would look much better.

Replying to thee other person, yeah.... Missouri went to that round tiger head which looks like nothing too from a distance

Nobody cares what a logo looks like from the stands. You can't see any of them. On tv you can see it. MO upgraded their branding with the change. The banner M just looks like a mess on tv. You can't even read State. Hell, you shouldn't have to read a logo unless it's large lettering like UCLA or something.

ShotgunDawg
01-20-2020, 08:39 AM

This This This This This This This

ShotgunDawg
01-20-2020, 08:41 AM
Just HELL NO. I love that Logo..and it's special for baseball only.

I just find this incredibly small minded. It's our best logo. use it.

Baseball doesn't have profile to demand it's own logo. MSU needs to use it's best logo in football period

ShotgunDawg
01-20-2020, 08:43 AM
I like this concept from Chillbilly

Goosedawg68
01-20-2020, 09:34 AM
I like that Chillbilly concept too.

Dawgology
01-20-2020, 09:51 AM
I have a bunch of friends that are LSU fans, Bama fans, Auburn, and Ole Miss fans. All of them...every single on of them...refer to us as State. We need to drop the ?M? and just market State.

ShotgunDawg
01-20-2020, 09:56 AM
Well.... whatever happens, "nothing" need not be an option.

The M-State helmets are super generic & suck. Our helmets need a little more character & charisma

Goosedawg68
01-20-2020, 10:34 AM
Well.... whatever happens, "nothing" need not be an option.

The M-State helmets are super generic & suck. Our helmets need a little more character & charisma

Agreed.

Dawgface
01-20-2020, 01:28 PM
I like this concept from Chillbilly

This is the best one imo.

Coach34
01-20-2020, 01:40 PM
All of Chillbilly's desings are 100% better than what we currently have

redstickdawg
01-20-2020, 05:06 PM
All of Chillbilly's desings are 100% better than what we currently have

When we have the with M-state helmets it's the worst of the worst, no identity and looks generic as can be. We need to bring back some form of the interlocking MS(U) and stay with maroon helmets at all times. Constantly changing as we do, doesn't allow us to really create an identity.

Maroonthirteen
01-20-2020, 09:03 PM
I just find this incredibly small minded. It's our best logo. use it.

Baseball doesn't have profile to demand it's own logo. MSU needs to use it's best logo in football period

What's small minded is calling someone small minded because they don't agree with your opinion. Everything you typed is your opinion. No facts.

Maybe you should broaden your point of view. Moron.

HoopsDawg
01-20-2020, 09:12 PM
Chill billy can u copy the LSU helmet using MSU and a bulldog instead of a Tiger? Maroon, White and Grey for the colors.

ChillbillyRock
01-20-2020, 10:19 PM
Chill billy can u copy the LSU helmet using MSU and a bulldog instead of a Tiger? Maroon, White and Grey for the colors.

Way ahead of ya....

https://twitter.com/rockyvaughan/status/1052646300045455360?s=21

HoopsDawg
01-20-2020, 10:43 PM
You are ahead, thx. Looks like the MSU would need to be spread out a little more and the bulldog logo a little larger. But not bad.

Weston M.
01-21-2020, 04:04 PM
Nike, for the most part, has better apparel for the polo and sweater fans, but Adidas has a much better overall selection. Anyway, as far as the uniforms go, I loved our look in the late 90s. I think that logo is gone forever, but the M-State has grown on me since they changed the Croom uniforms. We don't need to go back to what we had with Nike to maximize our uniforms. First, they need to cut out all these different shades of maroon crap they've done with our helmets. Let is be simple maroon highlighted with a bunch of white or do the classic matte finish. Nothing else. If you're playing on the road, you should go all white with maroon helmets as much as possible. Usually that's every schools best look and we barely utilize it. Get rid of the silver alternate. Maroon, white and black trim is all you need. I to am in favor of "State" across the chest plate. Also, wouldn't mind them incorporating the cowbell in a small, subtle way. Just my thoughts.