PDA

View Full Version : Matt Wyatt Film Study: Leach Offense

PKADogs55
01-16-2020, 08:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omz-DicsCJA

Matt does such a great job breaking down (Just Some) of the plays. Can't wait to see what our guys can do in this system.

Todd4State
01-16-2020, 08:40 AM
He made it sound like the offense is very simple for the players to run.

smootness
01-16-2020, 08:44 AM

It is.

ShotgunDawg
01-16-2020, 08:57 AM
https://youtu.be/omz-DicsCJA

TrapGame
01-16-2020, 08:58 AM

The last offense was quantum physics compared to Leach's.

ShotgunDawg
01-16-2020, 09:00 AM
I can't help but watch this & think that Leach will find a way to get Tulu's speed on the field for this screens.

Who else would want to get those passes?

Osiris
Payton
Williams
Jones
etc?

If this offense is truly as simple to learn as people say, it's hard for me to see Tulu staying off the field unless he can't pick up the offense.

ShotgunDawg
01-16-2020, 09:01 AM

Not only that but the last offense was almost completely based on being reactive to what the defense did. Thus, it was slower because of the reads.

The new offense kind of pushes the issue

Dawgology
01-16-2020, 09:03 AM
As I said when JoMo was here: If you can't explain and teach your philosophy simply the you don't REALLY understand it.

Mike Leach understands his offense.

Scared_Hitless
01-16-2020, 09:47 AM
As I said when JoMo was here: If you can't explain and teach your philosophy simply the you don't REALLY understand it.

Mike Leach understands his offense.

The most damning thing about the JoMo offense was when they held a media day to explain it. Our beat writers and media came out of that meeting puzzled and overwhelmed. I am sure our players felt much of the same way. They said it was mind blowing how complicated and how many reads players were required to make.

msstate7
01-16-2020, 09:48 AM
I can't help but watch this & think that Leach will find a way to get Tulu's speed on the field for this screens.

Osiris
Payton
Williams
Jones
etc?

If this offense is truly as simple to learn as people say, it's hard for me to see Tulu staying off the field unless he can't pick up the offense.

I think he will see the field this year too

Scared_Hitless
01-16-2020, 09:54 AM
I think he will see the field this year too

Not much of a choice we need some burners. Hopefully Heath is as advertised as well.

Spiderman
01-16-2020, 09:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omz-DicsCJA

Matt does such a great job breaking down (Just Some) of the plays. Can't wait to see what our guys can do in this system.

Pretty good cut up study. Can't blame him because many haven't studied it that much, but he could have explained a little better to folks about how everything is based off the 4 verts. And, again like many, a lot coaches included, doesn't really have a firm grasp on the mesh play.

As an aside, go back and look at the Egg Bowl in '16 on the 4th down play State ran to Fred Ross that went for a TD. It was Mesh.

Maybe the only time I saw State execute it.

PMDawg
01-16-2020, 10:35 AM
I think Hill is going to go nuts in this offense. I can already see him getting those short passes in space. The screens and shovels to Hill? Gonna have a monster year relative to YAC.

The ironic thing is that Tommy Stevens would probably be a great fit for this offense.

PMDawg
01-16-2020, 10:36 AM
Pretty good cut up study. Can't blame him because many haven't studied it that much, but he could have explained a little better to folks about how everything is based off the 4 verts. And, again like many, a lot coaches included, doesn't really have a firm grasp on the mesh play.

As an aside, go back and look at the Egg Bowl in '16 on the 4th down play State ran to Fred Ross that went for a TD. It was Mesh.

I think we used it vs Alabama in 2014 or 2015 too.

TrapGame
01-16-2020, 10:50 AM
I think Hill is going to go nuts in this offense. I can already see him getting those short passes in space. The screens and shovels to Hill? Gonna have a monster year relative to YAC.

The ironic thing is that Tommy Stevens would probably be a great fit for this offense.

Having Hill back pushes us to a 7 win season for sure. It's huge. Leach's offense will cut out the overthinking that bogged down Moorhead's offense.

R2Dawg
01-16-2020, 12:28 PM

Agree. I think Fitz may have even been good in this O if he had the liberty of QB draw also in there.

Johnson85
01-16-2020, 01:27 PM
Not much of a choice we need some burners. Hopefully Heath is as advertised as well.

I'd be curious if anybody knows why Heath's JUCO numbers were so pedestrian. Was that b/c of the offense or QB?

PKADogs55
01-16-2020, 02:22 PM
I'd be curious if anybody knows why Heath's JUCO numbers were so pedestrian. Was that b/c of the offense or QB?

Co-Lin 2019 stats .... Avg. 240.1 yards passing a game.

1. Antoine Robinson, 37 rec ... 721 yards ... 80.1 ypg ... 7 TDs (9 games played) Signed with USM btw.
2. Malik Heath, 33 rec ... 502 yards ... 62.8 ypg ... 3 TDs (8 games played)

Looks like their QB (Danny Clark) threw for 2,166 yards and 18 TDs.

SheltonChoked
01-16-2020, 04:03 PM

Osiris
Payton
Williams
Jones
etc?

Leach normally uses an 8 man rotation at WR.

The things I liked was the way all the WR "read" the defense. They run to open space, then stop.

If his 21 year DI coaching history holds, 5+ of those guys will catch 40+ passes. With 5 others catching 10+.

Kylin hill may catch 100+ passes.

The other thing I noticed was how much space there was in the middle of the field pre snap. A few QB Draws might be in play.

dotcomdawg
01-16-2020, 06:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVXR337bdvI

Spiderman
01-16-2020, 09:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVXR337bdvI

Man, me and Mckie videos go wayyyy back. He loves Leach.

He also has one where he concentrates on how Leach does it

Goldendawg
01-16-2020, 09:04 PM

The last "O" was in Chinese as far as our team was concerned.

viverlibre
01-16-2020, 09:29 PM
Having Hill back pushes us to a 7 win season for sure. It's huge. Leach's offense will cut out the overthinking that bogged down Moorhead's offense.

We have 8 very winnable games on the schedule, JoMo would have had us back in a bowl. 8 wins should be our expectation.

Todd4State
01-16-2020, 09:39 PM
The last "O" was in Chinese as far as our team was concerned.

I think Joe's offense had two main problems:

1. Limited personnel groupings on offense. Too many 3 receiver, 1 TE, 1 RB sets. In 2018 if he had some formations with Kylin and Aeris in it- he could have certainly put Kylin in the slot and motioned him in the backfield or just used him as a WR on occasion that would have played to our strength more than playing Guidry and his friends.

2. Too many RPO's. It allowed things to be dictated to us and took us out of favorable match ups at times. RPO's are good in small doses. It seems like they also relied way too much on pre snap reads. Watch Wyatt's video- Leach opens things up by having his QB look one way, uses motion pre-snap to ID coverages and things like that. It makes it much easier to run. You want to play Leach soft? OK- well, let's whip this screen out to the three receiver side and get about 9 yards out of it. Thanks!

trojandawg
01-16-2020, 10:30 PM
Moorheads offense lacked creativity.
Limited personel. Limited formation. Limited formation. Two guys were getting the ball. And then he limited even further with Shrader in. We only ran the same 4-5 plays over and over again. Most of the passes were all long developed plays. Leach system involves using the flats a lot and spreading the field horizontally more to create more space. Moorhead humbled up everything together a lot with tight formations giving us no room to run or catch and bringing 8-9 defenders in the box forcing us to throw

Jarius
01-17-2020, 07:02 AM

He had 500 yards in 8 games. That's not pedestrian. That's 5 less games and more production than our receivers played this year....granted it is against juco competition.

gravedigger
01-17-2020, 08:28 AM
Man, me and Mckie videos go wayyyy back. He loves Leach.

He also has one where he concentrates on how Leach does it

can you find that one and give a link? I too like his videos but I dont think I've seen that one.

smootness
01-17-2020, 09:37 AM
Leach normally uses an 8 man rotation at WR.

The things I liked was the way all the WR "read" the defense. They run to open space, then stop.

If his 21 year DI coaching history holds, 5+ of those guys will catch 40+ passes. With 5 others catching 10+.

Kylin hill may catch 100+ passes.

The other thing I noticed was how much space there was in the middle of the field pre snap. A few QB Draws might be in play.

Making the offense simple for players is extremely effective. We all laughed when the Ole Miss WR would explain the way they ran routes, but they torched people.

Spiderman
01-17-2020, 02:20 PM
can you find that one and give a link? I too like his videos but I dont think I've seen that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC4sAMbUuYQ&t=818s

TrapGame
01-17-2020, 02:50 PM
We have 8 very winnable games on the schedule, JoMo would have had us back in a bowl. 8 wins should be our expectation.

If Leach wins 8 games with what we have coming back then look out for 2021.

Johnson85
01-17-2020, 03:40 PM
He had 500 yards in 8 games. That's not pedestrian. That's 5 less games and more production than our receivers played this year....granted it is against juco competition.

That works out to about 750 yards in a 12 game season. That's certainly not terrible, but for a guy touted as a 4 star and with good measurables, that seems a little disappointing against JUCO competition. Especially the second year of JUCO competition.

Johnson85
01-17-2020, 03:43 PM
If Leach wins 8 games with what we have coming back then look out for 2021.

Maybe, but we could end up playing 8 not very good teams. Probably will depend on how UK and Mizzou are, but I don't think it's outlandish to think that 3 OOC and NC St, Ole Miss, and Arky, are not very good teams next year.

BuckyIsAB****
01-17-2020, 06:44 PM

I'll explain it. 4 verticals is the best play in the book bc it can go so many different ways. If its 2 high the QB will look at his best WR or matchup on the outside and read the CB. If the WR is still capped by the CB at 12 yards he will run a retrace and the QB gets the ball out when he makes his break. The slots run what is called a bender which is the break the route off and run basically a curl behind the middle hole defenders. If he is getting walled off he captures the safety closes to him to help the 1 on 1 outside and open up space for the RB check down or angle route in the middle. If the outside WR is by the CB by 12 we throw the fade. Good QBs and WRs can throw the backshoulder fade if they have good enough timing. If its 1 high the QB will look at his best WR or matchup in the slot and throw the seam route. Same rules still apply on the outside guys. If its all covered up then the RB is open. If the RB is covered they have nobody for the QB so he can pull it down and run.

Mesh is a great play vs man and zone. Whichever WR (Y or H) you want to get the ball too, his rule is to run down the heels of the DL and expect the ball once he clears the tackle. If its man he is getting the ball. The other inside WR rule is to attack the heels of the far ILB or S if he buzzes down and create space for the other slot. He sits down in the middle in the hole. If it is zone he is getting the ball. You can run it against 1 or 2 high. The RB will swing to the side of the man beater WR and is the hot read for the QB.

Hope that helped

Todd4State
01-17-2020, 07:07 PM
Moorheads offense lacked creativity.
Limited personel. Limited formation. Limited formation. Two guys were getting the ball. And then he limited even further with Shrader in. We only ran the same 4-5 plays over and over again. Most of the passes were all long developed plays. Leach system involves using the flats a lot and spreading the field horizontally more to create more space. Moorhead humbled up everything together a lot with tight formations giving us no room to run or catch and bringing 8-9 defenders in the box forcing us to throw

He didn't demand the discipline to run it precisely as well. I really think that it all starts with hard work and if you don't put the work in your offense is going to look ragged. No matter what you run.

BuckyIsAB****
01-17-2020, 07:21 PM
That works out to about 750 yards in a 12 game season. That's certainly not terrible, but for a guy touted as a 4 star and with good measurables, that seems a little disappointing against JUCO competition. Especially the second year of JUCO competition.

Heath has his own issues. He is however extremely talented and worth the risk of taking him

Dawgfan77
01-18-2020, 09:39 AM
I believe those numbers are for 6 games. Suspended first game and missed a game with an injury