PDA

View Full Version : What I Learned Last Night About How to Win in College Football

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 08:17 AM
If Leach wants to win big at MSU, he needs 3 things:

- elite WR play. (There are 2-4 top level HS WRs in Mississippi next year. We need to get 1-2 of these guys)

- 1 Elite pass rusher.

- Elite QB ( I think Leach can get this)

I think this is the formula. We've got to find a way to a few elite WRs on campus. They simply change the game while taking many of talent advantages that the blue bloods have out of the game because they ball is thrown over their head.

I think a well coached OL is more important than a talented OL. Just give the QB enough time to go through a few progressions.

Everyone needs to come to together & figure out what needs to happen to land a few of the top WRs out of Mississippi next year. Leach's offense will certainly help with this.

CEH last night had 77 of his total 110 yards last night in the 4th quarter. The running game at the top levels of college football is set up by the pass & tired defenses. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ESTABLISH THE RUN

If you can't see that the game has changed, then you are not paying attention.

dawgday166
01-14-2020, 08:23 AM
Score more points than the other team?? ****

MSUDAWGFAN
01-14-2020, 08:23 AM
If Leach wants to win big at MSU, he needs 3 things:

- elite WR play. (There are 2-4 top level HS WRs in Mississippi next year. We need to get 1-2 of these guys)

- 1 Elite pass rusher.

- Elite QB ( I think Leach can get this)

I think this is the formula. We've got to find a way to a few elite WRs on campus. They simply change the game while taking many of talent advantages that the blue bloods have out of the game because they ball is thrown over their head.

I think a well coached OL is more important than a talented OL. Just give the QB enough time to go through a few progressions.

Everyone needs to come to together & figure out what needs to happen to land a few of the top WRs out of Mississippi next year. Leach's offense will certainly help with this.

If you can't see that the game has changed, then you are not paying attention.

You need more than 1 elite pass rusher. If you only have 1, they can double team him and take him out of the game. You need 2 on the DLine. We have had that before with Simmons and Sweat.

hacker
01-14-2020, 08:24 AM
Jefferson was a .79 3 star on 247 composite

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 08:24 AM
You need more than 1 elite pass rusher. If you only have 1, they can double team him and take him out of the game. You need 2 on the DLine. We have had that before with Simmons and Sweat.

Maybe. Obviously the other players on defense can't be trash.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 08:25 AM
Jefferson was a .79 3 star on 247 composite

He's really good but things get easier when you have Chase (Julio Jones) on the other side drawing all the coverage

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 08:27 AM
We can obviously debate the margins around what I posted, but my point remains. In today's college football, you've GOT to have elite WR play to win. It's probably easier to land 1-2 elite WRs in recruiting than hanging your hat on developing 3 & low 4 stars, but either way the result must be the same.

TheLostDawg
01-14-2020, 08:37 AM
Yeah I think the hire should be seen as a smart move to some of the doubters after the game tonight. Of course not everyone is going to change their mind. The good thing is Brady turned that team around in one year. Yeah they are loaded with talent but I think the way Leach runs his practice, from what he's said, we should be able to get our guys in rhythm with each other and hopefully have a season we're proud of this year.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 08:46 AM
Yeah I think the hire should be seen as a smart move to some of the doubters after the game tonight. Of course not everyone is going to change their mind. The good thing is Brady turned that team around in one year. Yeah they are loaded with talent but I think the way Leach runs his practice, from what he's said, we should be able to get our guys in rhythm with each other and hopefully have a season we're proud of this year.

Agree. RTGDF is deceiving IMO.

Yes, if you can RTGDF, you are going to be really competitive & win some games, but you simply won't be explosive enough offense to win big. You won't be. Not in today's football.

You must be able to consistently put fear into the secondary & take the top off in order win at a high level.

There isn't a top team in college football that can't do that

msstate7
01-14-2020, 08:48 AM
Agree. RTGDF is deceiving IMO.

Yes, if you can RTGDF, you are going to be really competitive & win some games, but you simply won't be explosive enough offense to win big. You won't be. Not in today's football.

You must be able to consistently put fear into the secondary & take the top off in order win at a high level.

There isn't a top team in college football that can't do that

You've also got to recruit at an elite level, so I'm not sure why you're getting your hopes up

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 08:56 AM
You've also got to recruit at an elite level, so I'm not sure why you're getting your hopes up

If we don't have hope, what do we have?

You do have to obviously recruit at high level, but, if you're going to compete for a championship without recruiting at a high level, it's going to happen with a team that has what I described above

Dak almost had this - Bear, Ross, & Fred Brown were almost good enough. Our OL had some walk-ons on it.

Ole Miss did have this with Chad Kelly, Treadwell, Ingram, & the other guys. They were close talent wise.

Really Clark?
01-14-2020, 09:21 AM
Sorry but you have to be able to do both. Clemson has been Top 15 in running the ball the last 2 years. OSU and OK, some of the top running teams in the country this year. You have to do both to keep defenses honest or be extremely elite in one phase to skew it as much LSU this year. They stayed with Burrow and the passing game and that was smart. But early in the game, if they had the running game that they normally have, they could have also torched them in that 3-1-7 look They struggled until they adjusted and their passing game talent was just flat better than what Clemson could defend. And it will cycle back around, always does but normally the best teams can do both extremely well.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 09:23 AM
Sorry but you have to be able to do both. Clemson has been Top 15 in running the ball the last 2 years. OSU and OK, some of the top running teams in the country this year. You have to do both to keep defenses honest or be extremely elite in one phase to skew it as much LSU this year. They stayed with Burrow and the passing game and that was smart. But early in the game, if they had the running game that they normally have, they could have also torched them in that 3-1-7 look They struggled until they adjusted and their passing game talent was just flat better than what Clemson could defend. And it will cycle back around, always does but normally the best teams can do both extremely well.

I do agree that they end up being able to do both, but the elite talents have to be at WR.

CEH is solid but he's not an elite talent. I feel like you can run the ball with non-elite talent quicker than you can really take the top off without elite talent

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-14-2020, 09:24 AM
Wow!! Someone copy and paste this to Leach right now!! He has to know this!*

Coursesuper
01-14-2020, 09:29 AM
The key is these schools do "what's necessary" to acquire talent to be there at the end.

HailStateSZN19
01-14-2020, 09:37 AM
We HAVE to land at least 2 of Brevard/Smith/Harmon/Moore/Buckhaulter in the 2021 class if we want to move the needle any on getting at least closer to "elite" WR play. Get 2 or 3 of those and an OOS WR that's well rated to stack onto the class of Tulu/Walley/Heath/Ducking. It's a must. Then you gotta turn around and do it again in the 2022 class. It'll be interesting to see just how hard the OOS SEC programs come after the 2021 WR crop and if they try to raid the state of that talent like they did in the entire 2019 in-state class. We've got to keep most of that talent here with this offensive system we're about to run.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 09:40 AM
We HAVE to land at least 2 of Brevard/Smith/Harmon/Moore/Buckhaulter in the 2021 class if we want to move the needle any on getting at least closer to "elite" WR play. Get 2 or 3 of those and an OOS WR that's well rated to stack onto the class of Tulu/Walley/Heath/Ducking. It's a must. Then you gotta turn around and do it again in the 2022 class. It'll be interesting to see just how hard the OOS SEC programs come after the 2021 WR crop and if they try to raid the state of that talent like they did in the entire 2019 in-state class. We've got to keep most of that talent here with this offensive system we're about to run.

How good is the younger Walley brother?

HailStateSZN19
01-14-2020, 09:46 AM
How good is the younger Walley brother?

I watched Justin (younger brother) this year and he's a gamer. He projects as a CB though, or at least projected as one to the former staff I believe & think that's mainly what he's being recruited as. He'll be a really good player, imo. He was on offense some when I watched him at WR with Jaden throwing the ball to him. He's much smaller than Jaden is. Justin is around 5'10" maybe 165 lbs right now unless he's gotten bigger since I saw him play. He is pretty darn fast and very quick. I think he winds up being a very solid CB though. I don't see him on offense but who knows, this staff might just automatically take athletes like him and put him in the slot and see if he can play WR. Kid is a gamer though.

ETA: I think he has a chance to wind up a top 5-7 player in the state in the 2021 class and that's with a crop of elite talent at the top with the WR's. He'll be ranked behind Brevard/Smith/Harmon/Keyes/Altmeyer but he's a dang good player and has had several strong camp showings last year if I remember correctly.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 09:48 AM
I watched Justin (younger brother) this year and he's a gamer. He projects as a CB though, or at least projected as one to the former staff I believe & think that's mainly what he's being recruited as. He'll be a really good player, imo. He was on offense some when I watched him at WR with Jaden throwing the ball to him. He's much smaller than Jaden is. Justin is around 5'10" maybe 165 lbs right now unless he's gotten bigger since I saw him play. He is pretty darn fast and very quick. I think he winds up being a very solid CB though. I don't see him on offense but who knows, this staff might just automatically take athletes like him and put him in the slot and see if he can play WR. Kid is a gamer though.

Gotcha. I thought he was a Wr for some reason