PDA

View Full Version : Portal

bullygrowl
01-13-2020, 11:22 PM
Houston QB D'Eric King enters portal according to my score mobile app. May not be what Leach is looking for?

msstate7
01-13-2020, 11:24 PM
He's gonna be LSU's qb

HailStateSZN19
01-13-2020, 11:30 PM
Yeah he?s LSU bound. He could be hell on wheels with Chase and Marshall both back at WR plus Emery/Davis-Price at RB. Their offense will obviously take a step back but they?ll still be dangerous with him plus their returning weapons.

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2020, 11:35 PM
He's gonna be LSU's qb

this is a huge problem that college football must address. Not right

Blue bloods will never be down. Completely props them up

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2020, 11:36 PM
Yeah he?s LSU bound. He could be hell on wheels with Chase and Marshall both back at WR plus Emery/Davis-Price at RB. Their offense will obviously take a step back but they?ll still be dangerous with him plus their returning weapons.

it's not right. There should be a cost to signing a free agent. There is not in college football.

Mind you, these guys aren't going to choose to go anywhere but blue bloods, so the system now provides yet another advantage to blue bloods.

msstate7
01-13-2020, 11:38 PM
Delete

VandelayIndustries
01-13-2020, 11:38 PM
He's gonna be LSU's qb

Yep

msstate7
01-13-2020, 11:42 PM
this is a huge problem that college football must address. Not right

Blue bloods will never be down. Completely props them up

I'm more upset the kid just decided to quit and save his senior year. He was a starting qb and healty

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2020, 11:43 PM
I'm more upset the kid just decided to quit and save his senior year. He was a starting qb and healty

Yeah. The entire situation is really screwy. Against the spirit of the rule.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-13-2020, 11:44 PM

Holgerson encouraged it.

msstate7
01-13-2020, 11:44 PM
Holgerson encouraged it.

Doesn't make it right.

ETA... and holgerson is getting what he deserves in this deal

HailStateSZN19
01-13-2020, 11:46 PM
it's not right. There should be a cost to signing a free agent. There is not in college football.

Mind you, these guys aren't going to choose to go anywhere but blue bloods, so the system now provides yet another advantage to blue bloods.

Yep this situation is completely ridiculous. Dude was 100% healthy and just decided to sit out the season to transfer elsewhere after the season. The rich get richer.

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2020, 11:48 PM
Holgerson encouraged it.

This situation is not in the best interest of college football

Bothrops
01-13-2020, 11:49 PM
I don't want a qb transfer.

msstate7
01-13-2020, 11:50 PM
I don't want a qb transfer.

I'll take any transfer that makes us better

Bothrops
01-13-2020, 11:53 PM
We will never beat LSU again. Those ****ers are going to be intolerable for the next 5 years after tonight.

msstate7
01-13-2020, 11:54 PM
We will never beat LSU again. Those ****ers are going to be intolerable for the next 5 years after tonight.

Ed O won't have Brady and aranda much longer

Bothrops
01-13-2020, 11:55 PM
I'll take any transfer that makes us better

What we have is plenty capable of running this offense.

defiantdog
01-13-2020, 11:56 PM
Ed O won't have Brady and aranda much longer

Brady will be an OC in the NFL soon

msstate7
01-13-2020, 11:56 PM
What we have is plenty capable of running this offense.

I'll let leach make that decision.

Bothrops
01-14-2020, 12:00 AM
I'll let leach make that decision.

We need receivers and Lb's

HoopsDawg
01-14-2020, 12:43 AM
Desperate for receivers. I don't want to waste these 4 seniors on the Oline and possibly Kylin.

Spiderman
01-14-2020, 12:48 AM

Won't he have to sit a year?He's not a grad is he?

Irondawg
01-14-2020, 12:49 AM
He will be going into next year I think (be a grad).

Aranada seems to be like Venables and just content to be a DC for his career making great money without the pressure of HC gig

dantheman4248
01-14-2020, 02:13 AM
Idk why everyone here thinks he's going to LSU. He doesn't even fit in that style of offense. He's going to Arkansas and spider-man no. He's going to be a 5th year senior. Besides QBs transferring don't have to sit anymore at this point anyways.

I don't see what the bitching about this is. Long standing rule that you could transfer like this as a grad student. (At like the 15 year mark now.) Hardly ever happens anyways. Only one I can remember transferring from a STARTING job as a grad was Russell Wilson. And that was over baseball and the coach at NC State being dumb. Guy just don't transfer as starters like people make them out to be.

Hurts, Burrow, Fields, etc all transferred from backup jobs.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 07:56 AM
Idk why everyone here thinks he's going to LSU. He doesn't even fit in that style of offense. He's going to Arkansas and spider-man no. He's going to be a 5th year senior. Besides QBs transferring don't have to sit anymore at this point anyways.

I don't see what the bitching about this is. Long standing rule that you could transfer like this as a grad student. (At like the 15 year mark now.) Hardly ever happens anyways. Only one I can remember transferring from a STARTING job as a grad was Russell Wilson. And that was over baseball and the coach at NC State being dumb. Guy just don't transfer as starters like people make them out to be.

This is a starter that quit on his team to sit out and transfer.

It'll make me feel better if he transfers to Arkansas, but it just doesn't feel right.

The sport needs more regulation

msstate7
01-14-2020, 08:15 AM

I said ark was a dark horse for him while back, but I'll be pretty surprised if he actually goes there. Jamie Newman isn't as good a qb as king imo, and Newman is headed to Georgia. If I were betting on this without any research, I'd take LSU and Oklahoma, and I'd give you the field

Tbonewannabe
01-14-2020, 08:43 AM
Won't he have to sit a year?He's not a grad is he?

He graduated in December.

Tbonewannabe
01-14-2020, 08:46 AM
This is a starter that quit on his team to sit out and transfer.

It'll make me feel better if he transfers to Arkansas, but it just doesn't feel right.

The sport needs more regulation

I believe that I read that Dana encouraged a lot of juniors to redshirt last year so he would have an experienced team this year. Once he lost a couple of games earlier, Dana basically gave up on this year.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 08:48 AM
I believe that I read that Dana encouraged a lot of juniors to redshirt last year so he would have an experienced team this year. Once he lost a couple of games earlier, Dana basically gave up on this year.

this is a loophole that needs to be closed if 90% of college football programs hope to have a prayer of competing for a playoff spot.

tireddawg
01-14-2020, 09:13 AM
this is a loophole that needs to be closed if 90% of college football programs hope to have a prayer of competing for a playoff spot.

What loophole? The guy did everything the correct way. He missed a whole season of football, he put academics first, graduated, now wants to move on, and play football again. Doesn't matter the reason, he did it the textbook way. I swear you whine and complain about everything that doesn't go your way.

State has the same opportunity to go out and get these kids as any other school. We've got to change the way we do things, not expect every1 to change for us. We've got to figure it out. As long as every1 has the same opportunity, the rules are fair and just.

State has to figure a way to be more appealing. We are in baseball, we built that, should be able to in football with the talent in our State. No excuses, I'm tired of hearing them.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 09:18 AM
What loophole? The guy did everything the correct way. He missed a whole season of football, he put academics first, graduated, now wants to move on, and play football again. Doesn't matter the reason, he did it the textbook way. I swear you whine and complain about everything that doesn't go your way.

State has the same opportunity to go out and get these kids as any other school. We've got to change the way we do things, not expect every1 to change for us. We've got to figure it out. As long as every1 has the same opportunity, the rules are fair and just.

State has to figure a way to be more appealing. We are in baseball, we built that, should be able to in football with the talent in our State. No excuses, I'm tired of hearing them.

- He didn't miss the entire season. He played in 4 games & then quit to maintain his eligibility.
- No, we don't have the opportunity to get these kids as the starters that transfer go to blue bloods almost 100% of the time. Props them up
- I lobby for better rules, not complaining. Big difference in agenda
- Of course we have to figure out a way to be more appealing, but the only way to do that is win big. You can't win big though because about 7 schools have a monopoly on winning & rules like this one only strengthen that monopoly.

Now, if you'd like to have an actual discussion about this, then I'd be more than happy to do so, but since you only appear interested in being a blind dumbass that wants to say that people complain about everything, then 17 u.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-14-2020, 09:23 AM
He's gonna be LSU's qb

Wouldn't Felipe Franks be a better fit at LSU than King? And he has the most LSU name ever.

Really Clark?
01-14-2020, 09:31 AM
- He didn't miss the entire season. He played in 4 games & then quit to maintain his eligibility.
- No, we don't have the opportunity to get these kids as the starters that transfer go to blue bloods almost 100% of the time. Props them up
- Of course we have to figure out a way to be more appealing, but the only way to do that is win big. You can't win big though because about 7 schools have a monopoly on winning & rules like this one only strengthen that monopoly.

Now, if you'd like to have an actual discussion about this, then I'd be more than happy to do so, but since you only appear interested in being a blind dumbass that wants to say that people complain about everything, then 17 u.

If you play in the CFB playoffs you cannot take a grad transfer for 1 year. If you finished ranked in the Top 10, you can only bring in 1 transfer for that year. If you finish 11-25 in the final rankings, you can bring in 2 max. Thought about saying Top 10 and no transfer but that might be difficult as you do have nonP5 schools finish ranked in Top 10 at times

dantheman4248
01-14-2020, 09:40 AM
Y'all are really worried about something that isn't a problem and likely won't fester into a problem. This grad transfer was the result of a coach doing something idiotic and literally tanking in college football. This is on Dana.

Again, the only other grad transfer to have left a starting position was Russell Wilson. He also left because his coach had a dumb idea that Russell couldn't do spring training in baseball for the Rockies. Russ said ok and peace out. Wisconsin gladly took him.

The theme is dumb coaching decisions not kids trying to transfer to blue bloods. These kids are going to make smart decisions for themselves. Transferring out of a system and having to relearn a new system for one year when you're the start already doesn't make sense for their NFL future. Once we have a kid do that with no caveat of dumb coaching then there's a reason to discuss this rule. Until then, it's a non issue.

And King is going to end up at Arkansas. Briles is the OC there. It makes too much sense not to happen. Would also explain why Gary Patterson knows where he's going.

msstate7
01-14-2020, 09:41 AM
If you play in the CFB playoffs you cannot take a grad transfer for 1 year. If you finished ranked in the Top 10, you can only bring in 1 transfer for that year. If you finish 11-25 in the final rankings, you can bring in 2 max. Thought about saying Top 10 and no transfer but that might be difficult as you do have nonP5 schools finish ranked in Top 10 at times

Interesting. I think making it a rule that signing a freshman counts against the 85 for 4 years would also add parity. Most 5 stars then become a balance of is 4 years of scholarships worth 3 years of play

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 09:42 AM

There needs to be a limit to it somehow.

Maybe you can only take 1 a year. Something to just make there be a cost to taking a QB every year like LSU & Oklahoma have. The grad transfer system of bringing a SR QB is doing nothing but propping up blue bloods.

Look at UGA bringing in the Wake Forest QB. Why should UGA get to have a good QB next when they've failed to develop one?

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 09:43 AM
Interesting. I think making it a rule that signing a freshman counts against the 85 for 4 years would also add parity. Most 5 stars then become a balance of is 4 years of scholarships worth 3 years of play

I like this idea.

HancockCountyDog
01-14-2020, 09:45 AM
I've heard he is going to OU. His skillset and the job opportunity is a perfect fit.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 09:45 AM
Y'all are really worried about something that isn't a problem and likely won't fester into a problem. This grad transfer was the result of a coach doing something idiotic and literally tanking in college football. This is on Dana.

Again, the only other grad transfer to have left a starting position was Russell Wilson. He also left because his coach had a dumb idea that Russell couldn't do spring training in baseball for the Rockies. Russ said ok and peace out. Wisconsin gladly took him.

The theme is dumb coaching decisions not kids trying to transfer to blue bloods. These kids are going to make smart decisions for themselves. Transferring out of a system and having to relearn a new system for one year when you're the start already doesn't make sense for their NFL future. Once we have a kid do that with no caveat of dumb coaching then there's a reason to discuss this rule. Until then, it's a non issue.

And King is going to end up at Arkansas. Briles is the OC there. It makes too much sense not to happen. Would also explain why Gary Patterson knows where he's going.

I want to believe you are correct here. I really do.

I'm just worried that, due to combines, recruiting rankings, & camps, as college football recruiting becomes more & more consolidated to 5-7 schools & the college football playoff reflects, starters are going to begin transferring to those blessed schools more & more.

Expanding the playoff to 16 teams help curve this

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 09:46 AM
I've heard he is going to OU. His skillset and the job opportunity is a perfect fit.

It'll be interesting to see. Going to OU would be a problem.

OU may begin losing QB recruits if they take him. They better believe he's significantly better than the Rattler kid is.

Oklahoma is teetering on that line of taking too many

tireddawg
01-14-2020, 09:59 AM

I know he played in 4 games. You know what I mean. I am having a discussion. You getting butthurt is weak. Stop being weak & emotional. You complain alot, it ain't no secret. Offer something besides just saying something needs to be done.

If a player starts the season and plays 1 snap, he's gotta sit the next season if he plans to transfer.

I do know what you mean. My point is, instead of bitching about what others are doing, let's figure out ways to get better. I'd prefer to work on us, instead of focusing on what others do. We have too much talent in our state. Need to figure out how to get them & stop the woe is me crap. And oh, 17 U too.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 10:03 AM
I know he played in 4 games. You know what I mean. I am having a discussion. You getting butthurt is weak. Stop being weak & emotional. You complain alot, it ain't no secret. Offer something besides just saying something needs to be done.

If a player starts the season and plays 1 snap, he's gotta sit the next season if he plans to transfer.

I do know what you mean. My point is, instead of bitching about what others are doing, let's figure out ways to get better. I'd prefer to work on us, instead of focusing on what others do. We have too much talent in our state. Need to figure out how to get them & stop the woe is me crap. And oh, 17 U too.

- I completely agree with focusing on us, but there are realities involved here & the reality is that until some rules are changed, the same 6 teams will be in the playoff every single year & no one else can even compete.

- The only way the system can change is if the inefficient rules that directly work against having parity in the sport, are recognized & criticized. It's the only way. If no one says anything, nothing will ever change.

tireddawg
01-14-2020, 01:01 PM
I get that, but telling us, does no good. We sitting around on a message board doesn't create change. I'm not important enough to create change. That's why I say we must focus on State, & I think our admin has taken a step in the right direction. John Cohen is a tireless worker, he understands what needs to be done. Look at our marketing with the Leach hire.

We became a national brand overnight. We may or may not continue to be, but for a few days State/Leach were all that was discussed on tv, (I bet next football season will be the same), & he's still giving interviews on national shows. I think you posted one of them, which are the kind of posts, of yours, I enjoy. People are still coming up to me when I have my State garb on to discuss Leach, & most think it was a fantastic hire.

You post alot, no criticism regarding that, but due to your # of post, some will be criticized. You're extremely passionate. May I suggest to take some of that in stride, & realize that every1 may not agree with you, and that's ok. No need to get emotional about it. We all love State & want what's best.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 01:12 PM
I get that, but telling us, does no good. We sitting around on a message board doesn't create change. I'm not important enough to create change. That's why I say we must focus on State, & I think our admin has taken a step in the right direction. John Cohen is a tireless worker, he understands what needs to be done. Look at our marketing with the Leach hire.

We became a national brand overnight. We may or may not continue to be, but for a few days State/Leach were all that was discussed on tv, (I bet next football season will be the same), & he's still giving interviews on national shows. I think you posted one of them, which are the kind of posts, of yours, I enjoy. People are still coming up to me when I have my State garb on to discuss Leach, & most think it was a fantastic hire.

You post alot, no criticism regarding that, but due to your # of post, some will be criticized. You're extremely passionate. May I suggest to take some of that in stride, & realize that every1 may not agree with you, and that's ok. No need to get emotional about it. We all love State & want what's best.

- People who have the power to effect change read this message board. I’ve never understood why message board posters just assume that posters, they don’t know the identity of, aren’t important or have an ear.

- John Cohen is not all knowing. Neither is Keenum. The key trait of people in those positions are that they are life long learners. To say that we don’t come up with useful ideas here or discuss things things that they haven’t thought through is naive.

I’ve never understood the pedastal that many MSU fans put their administrators and coaches on. They’re human and don’t think of everything. I believe a strong message board culture is necessary for big time athletic departments as the message board in many ways expands the think tank from maybe 20 people in the athletic department to hundreds that are invested on line. It’s positive, not negative that we’re here and care

Jack Lambert
01-14-2020, 01:13 PM
He's gonna be LSU's qb

Could be OK but I don't know if there is a charity hospital in that state.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-14-2020, 10:27 PM
interesting we are listed as potential landing spot for him on 247

HailStateSZN19
01-14-2020, 10:34 PM

Wait..... we’re listed as a potential landing spot for King from Houston?? Legitimately?

msstate7
01-14-2020, 10:37 PM

Sign him up. He's outstanding

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 10:39 PM
Wait..... we’re listed as a potential landing spot for King from Houston?? Legitimately?

Remember Holgerson and Leach are buds

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-14-2020, 10:46 PM

There is an article listing 9 potential spots for him. It was written 12 hours ago so it mentions he started following Brady on Twitter but that was obviously before he found out Brady was leaving.

Here is our part

By CHRIS HUMMER

It's worth noting the possibilites starting here are less likely than the first four I listed. The others have legit juice.

Mostly only Mike Leach disciples (along with Houston) were comfortable offering King as a quarterback in high school. Those coaches include Kliff Kingsbury, Sonny Dykes and Sonny Cumbie. Thing is, all three of those coaches have QBs for the 2020 season. Kingsbury is in the NFL, while SMU (Dykes/Shane Buechele) and TCU (Max Duggan/Cumbie) have reasonably well-established passers. Thus, it’s interesting to consider Mississippi State as a potential landing spot. King is already familiar with the Air Raid principles, and Leach has a proven track record with transfer QBs; Gardner Minshew went from off-the-map ECU signal caller to NFL cult hero in about a year and a half thanks in large part to Leach's tutelage. If King wants to throw for a lot of yards and go to the NFL, the Bulldogs make a lot of sense. He'd be a good one-year bridge to Garrett Shrader , too.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 10:51 PM
There is an article listing 9 potential spots for him. It was written 12 hours ago so it mentions he started following Brady on Twitter but that was obviously before he found out Brady was leaving.

Here is our part

By CHRIS HUMMER

Shrader getting his RS back wouldn’t be for worst situation

Isn’t King a runner though?

HailStateSZN19
01-14-2020, 10:53 PM

Here is our part

By CHRIS HUMMER

Well damn.... it’s going to be fun to see what talented grad transfer QB’s we get in the game with simply because of Leach’s track record with QB’s and the fact that you throw it 40-50 times in his system so you can showcase to get drafted.

Now I certainly don’t really want to turn into OU where it’s every single year and we never develop a HS QB. BUT there’s some talent in the transfer market you can’t turn away if they’re interested.

msstate7
01-14-2020, 10:54 PM

He's a good passer...
167 rating his junior year,
63.5% comp

Quaoarsking
01-14-2020, 11:08 PM
Shrader getting his RS back wouldn?t be for worst situation

Isn?t King a runner though?

Not really.

Houston Cougars

Season
GP
Passing
Rushing
Receiving

Comp
Att
Pct
Yards
TD
Int
Att
Yards
Avg
TD
Rec
Yards
TD

2016 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Houston_Cougars_football_team)

2017 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Houston_Cougars_football_team)

2018 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Houston_Cougars_football_team)

2019 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Houston_Cougars_football_team)
-
-
-

Career

BrunswickDawg
01-15-2020, 03:42 AM

One of these things is not like the other one.....

You don't get to bash the rule, call for change, then flip back when we are listed as a potential landing spot.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-15-2020, 10:12 AM

You don't get to bash the rule, call for change, then flip back when we are listed as a potential landing spot.

nice observation!

ShotgunDawg
01-15-2020, 10:16 AM

I don't like the rule. I think it should go away. It's a bad rule that generally helps prop up blue bloods because they'll always have solid QB play.

However, since the rule currently is what it is, MSU as well try it's best to benefit from it.

That makes sense right?

msstate7
01-15-2020, 10:39 AM
I don't like the rule. I think it should go away. It's a bad rule that generally helps prop up blue bloods because they'll always have solid QB play.

However, since the rule currently is what it is, MSU as well try it's best to benefit from it.

That makes sense right?

Yeah, I think you were clear. Just bc you don't like a rule doesn't mean you shouldn't take advantage of it

jacksondawg
01-17-2020, 03:51 PM
Just saw Scott Lashley's name in the transfer portal. Any shot we go after him or has that ship sailed?