PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Coordinator

Paldridge10
01-13-2020, 09:44 PM
Its not going to be Grantham or Strong according to Steve. One was interviewed today but dont know who. Shannon maybe?

Dawgtini
01-13-2020, 09:49 PM
If you're going to give away Steve's info for free you could give the rest

Or pay $1 for 2 mos access

msstate7
01-13-2020, 09:51 PM
If you're going to give away Steve's info for free you could give the rest

Or pay $1 for 2 mos access

Thought that was common knowledge. Is he charging for that crap?

Irondawg
01-13-2020, 09:56 PM
Well it not being strong would be new info

HailStateSZN19
01-13-2020, 10:03 PM
I?m starting to have a not-so-great feeling about this hire for some reason... doesn?t damper my mood about the Leach hire. But this hire scares me to death. It?s critical.

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2020, 10:04 PM
I?m starting to have a not-so-great feeling about this hire for some reason... doesn?t damper my mood about the Leach hire. But this hire scares me to death. It?s critical.

Don't be. He's been to a bowl game 16 of 18 seasons. He's good. Don't worry about it.

HailStateSZN19
01-13-2020, 10:08 PM
Don't be. He's been to a bowl game 16 of 18 seasons. He's good. Don't worry about it.

Oh I?m not worried about the Leach hire. I?m siked about it still. I?m talking about this DC hire. It scares the hell outta me.

maroonmania
01-13-2020, 10:28 PM
Oh I?m not worried about the Leach hire. I?m siked about it still. I?m talking about this DC hire. It scares the hell outta me.

I'm sort of with you. A number of his defenses at WSU were really bad including this year.

HoopsDawg
01-13-2020, 10:30 PM
I'm sort of with you. A number of his defenses at WSU were really bad including this year.

I wonder if D-coordinators might be hesitant to join his staff. Your numbers just aren't going to be great, but real football people can tell if you are good or not. I really wish McIntyre hadn't signed with Memphis.

maroonmania
01-13-2020, 10:35 PM
Well I will be very disappointed if we don't get a very proven guy given we seemingly could have kept Shoop if Leach had wanted to.

AlSwearengen
01-13-2020, 10:38 PM
Misread the post

bobtail bob
01-13-2020, 10:40 PM
N/T

mparkerfd20
01-13-2020, 11:09 PM
If I buy a magazine it is mine to give info away if I want. Same with a subscription. So shut that bullshit up about giving out paid info.

BeardoMSU
01-13-2020, 11:13 PM
If I buy a magazine it is mine to give info away if I want. Same with a subscription. So shut that bullshit up about giving out paid info.

If you learn somethin' in college, you have to keep that shit to yo self...better not tell nobody!**

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-13-2020, 11:15 PM
Its not going to be Grantham or Strong according to Steve. One was interviewed today but dont know who. Shannon maybe?

Not Shannon either

BeardoMSU
01-13-2020, 11:16 PM
Not Shannon either

Peter Sirmon, c'mon down...

Jack Lambert
01-13-2020, 11:18 PM
I wonder how much of the pay has been set aside for DC and would Cohen come up with more if needed?

HoopsDawg
01-13-2020, 11:21 PM
I wonder how much of the pay has been set aside for DC and would Cohen come up with more if needed?

I hope we didn't boost our assistant's pool just so Leach could get all his boys big raises. Need to spend that money on the defensive guys and recruiting.

Todd4State
01-14-2020, 12:27 AM
I'm hoping it's Jay Bateman from North Carolina. We'll see.

dawgday166
01-14-2020, 12:32 AM
I'm hoping it's Jay Bateman from North Carolina. We'll see.

That's where I'm leaning too. He did well at Army. It's a risk tho. But anything other than Shoop IMO probably is.

KOdawg1
01-14-2020, 12:35 AM
It's going to be a decent, not great hire that will be talked up to make it sound like a home-run.

Todd4State
01-14-2020, 12:40 AM
That's where I'm leaning too. He did well at Army. It's a risk tho. But anything other than Shoop IMO probably is.

I've followed Army football for awhile. He's elite. If we're talking about Leach doing more with less- Bateman did the same thing with a bunch of West Point cadets. He would be scary with SEC athletes. The other thing I like about him is North Carolina runs the Air Raid and so he has experience being a DC under that system and the challenges that go along with it. And did pretty well. When he was at Army he basically went toe to toe with Lincoln Riley and almost beat him- lost in OT 28-21- with Army talent.

dawgday166
01-14-2020, 12:43 AM
I've followed Army football for awhile. He's elite. If we're talking about Leach doing more with less- Bateman did the same thing with a bunch of West Point cadets. He would be scary with SEC athletes. The other thing I like about him is North Carolina runs the Air Raid and so he has experience being a DC under that system and the challenges that go along with it. And did pretty well. When he was at Army he basically went toe to toe with Lincoln Riley and almost beat him- lost in OT 28-21- with Army talent.

I saw Army's rankings under him and quite frankly was stunned somewhat. If you gonna find a legit up and comer he looks about as good as anyone will IMO.

Paldridge10
01-14-2020, 12:59 AM

He said it on his FREE show last night on Facebook anyway...

DCdawg
01-14-2020, 07:57 AM
How would y'all feel about Chizik? He's obviously looking to be a head coach, but it sounds like Leach is going to give the DC full independence to run his side of the ball.

dawgday166
01-14-2020, 08:01 AM
How would y'all feel about Chizik? He's obviously looking to be a head coach, but it sounds like Leach is going to give the DC full independence to run his side of the ball.

I dunno ... would have to research to make sure. My impression has been he's a pretty good DC tho. As a side note, I kinda like ole Chiz, but don't want him as the HC for our team.

Cooterpoot
01-14-2020, 09:47 AM

Not an option.

Joebob
01-14-2020, 10:58 AM

Depends. Some subscriptions are deemed proprietary information.

confucius say
01-14-2020, 11:34 AM

What does he run? Like his base I mean?

Todd4State
01-14-2020, 11:42 AM
What does he run? Like his base I mean?

3-4 but he's very multiple.

Mobile Bay
01-14-2020, 11:48 AM
What do y'all think about Joseph Rossi from Minnesota? Think we could get him? As a former offensive lineman the 4 DE set he ran against Auburn on 3rd and long gave me nightmares. The more I think about it the more impossible to block it becomes.

Really Clark?
01-14-2020, 11:56 AM
What do y'all think about Joseph Rossi from Minnesota? Think we could get him? As a former offensive lineman the 4 DE set he ran against Auburn on 3rd and long gave me nightmares. The more I think about it the more impossible to block it becomes.

He?s from Pennsylvania!!! Heck no!! Just kidding. Did a great job this year. Personally would like to see another year or two because his 2 years at Rutgers in 2014-2015 were horrid. And the 2014 team was an 8 win team. The 2015 team was a 4 win team but both years his total defense was in the 100?s.

HailStateSZN19
01-14-2020, 12:00 PM
He?s from Pennsylvania!!! Heck no!! Just kidding. Did a great job this year. Personally would like to see another year or two because his 2 years at Rutgers in 2014-2015 were horrid. And the 2014 team was an 8 win team. The 2015 team was a 4 win team but both years his total defense was in the 100?s.

Heard any names with some substance? Or who we interviewed yesterday?

ejdallas322
01-14-2020, 12:04 PM
All I?m gonna say is we need an SEC guy for defensive coordinator. I?m tired of people talking abt guys with ?potential? to do well as State from like the mountain west or the American conference etc. we need a dude that knows this conference left and right, front ways and back ways, a guy that knows recruiting in this conference, and an aggressive guy.

ejdallas322
01-14-2020, 12:07 PM
Not saying we need a current SEC coach, he just has to have experience in the SEC and yes has to have good defenses. There are exceptions for guys like Venables, even though I don?t think he would ever come here, but I mean you can throw ur money at him and make him say no.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-14-2020, 12:09 PM
All I?m gonna say is we need an SEC guy for defensive coordinator. I?m tired of people talking abt guys with ?potential? to do well as State from like the mountain west or the American conference etc. we need a dude that knows this conference left and right, front ways and back ways, a guy that knows recruiting in this conference, and an aggressive guy.

Ah so a proven recruiter with success in the toughest conference in the country that also has a great personality for a DC.

I assume you also want him to have had good defenses too.

What you're describing is a guy who's already paid more than we can/will who's already at a better job. That's why we talk about "potential"

Really Clark?
01-14-2020, 12:18 PM
Heard any names with some substance? Or who we interviewed yesterday?

The only names I?ve heard was one who was more connected with Judge possibly getting the job and that?s Jay Bateman. Randy Shannon was another rumor but that?s already out there and looks to be shot down as just a rumor. Don?t know if Bateman is a possibility still and don?t have good Info on who was interviewed yesterday? Just a couple of grape vine possibilities but nothing to put out there.

smootness
01-14-2020, 12:58 PM
Ah so a proven recruiter with success in the toughest conference in the country that also has a great personality for a DC.

I assume you also want him to have had good defenses too.

What you're describing is a guy who's already paid more than we can/will who's already at a better job. That's why we talk about "potential"

The dude mentioned Venables. He's not thinking clearly.

Really Clark?
01-14-2020, 01:21 PM
247 mentioned Bateman, Ryan Walters at Mizzou and ULL DC

msstate7
01-14-2020, 01:22 PM

Taking ULL DC would be pretty funny. Not sure I want him though

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 01:24 PM

He must’ve been the one telling Napier to take the job. Lol

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2020, 01:24 PM

On paper, I’m good with Bateman or Waters

Really Clark?
01-14-2020, 01:26 PM

Yeah. I think it?s his ties to the area. HC at Delta St and Southeastern LA.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-14-2020, 01:31 PM
Walters is very interesting to me. Really turned that defense around when they gave him the keys 2yrs ago. Also he's a secondary guy & with our young guys on the backend he could really help them. Also maybe he could talk Brick Hailey into coming with him as DL coach.

ejdallas322
01-14-2020, 01:31 PM
The dude mentioned Venables. He's not thinking clearly.
Yeah I literally just said that he probably not want to come to State

HailStateSZN19
01-14-2020, 01:32 PM
Give me Walters #1 choice. Has coached in the SEC, recruited in the SEC. Mizzou defense was top 20 in total & scoring defense (yes I know Odom is a defensive coach so he probably was very hands on) AND he’s the secondary coach at Mizzou and he turned their secondary into a strength. Mizzou’s pass defense this year was 8th in the country in pass yards allowed.

I could easily get on board with Bateman too. He’s supposed to be a rising star. But Walters would be my first choice.