PDA

View Full Version : Questions On Leach Turning Around Team Culture...

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2020, 06:06 PM
For those that have coached or run a company:

1. Considering Mullen was just here, how long will it take Leach to change the culture within this program?

2. What is the most effective way to change the culture?

3. Do you think Leach will have to run off any players to get things going in the right direction again?

Coursesuper
01-13-2020, 06:19 PM

1. Considering Mullen was just here, how long will it take Leach to change the culture within this program?

3. Do you think Leach will have to run off any players to get things going in the right direction again?

Shouldn't take to long, if you aren't willing to buy in then bye. And yes there will be attrition, some will get themselves a ticket out of town.

DogsofAnarchy
01-13-2020, 06:39 PM
1. Shouldn?t take more than a season to turn it all the way around.

2. CJS said, change the players or change the staff. The staff is being changed.

3. I do not believe we will lose more than 2 or 3 guys. And that?s a Big Plus!!

No player can be bigger than the program!!

Todd4State
01-13-2020, 06:47 PM
1. One year.

2. Get rid of any toxic people in the department.

3. Possibly. Probably. But hopefully everyone buys in.

Mimi's Babies
01-13-2020, 06:50 PM
1. Evidently Leach is a disciplinarian. It will take Spring training to teach some hard heads it's my way or the highway.
2. Go in being a tough ass. Hold them accountable for their actions or lack of actions... Not going to class.

3. Coach Leach has to be in total control.... If the players don't like it then they can hit the door.

Simple... The

Spiderman
01-13-2020, 07:11 PM

Mullen changed it in one spring. He and Balis. May have a few leave, but it shouldn't take long.

The deal is having the players truly buy in. If they do, it will be quick. If not, be a lot of open spots on the roster.

Dawgology
01-13-2020, 07:48 PM

1. Considering Mullen was just here, how long will it take Leach to change the culture within this program? Depends on how far the crap has set in. It can take a few weeks or a year or more via attrition.

2. What is the most effective way to change the culture? Come in and lay down the law...hard. It sucks but you have to set a precedent early and then you can lighten up. You can?t go the opposite was and try to be everyone?s friend then get tough.

3. Do you think Leach will have to run off any players to get things going in the right direction again? Yes. Definitely.

timotheus
01-13-2020, 08:00 PM
Kylin may wish that he had gone ahead and tried the NFL.

shoeless joe
01-14-2020, 07:43 AM
A lot of the culture changed just by getting someone new in. But by the end of spring it’ll be apparent to any hard heads that the bullshit won’t fly.

Run off as many as it takes. Sounds harsh but that’s what’s gotta be done. The hope is that a vast majority of the players realize what’s gotta be done...they prolly do...and see it as a personal opportunity and buy in quick.

dawgday166
01-14-2020, 08:05 AM
Kylin may wish that he had gone ahead and tried the NFL.

Shock waves probably gonna be there for quite a few ... but yea he's one those waves may hit hard. Leach don't tolerate divas, phones off limits during practices/games, doesn't tolerate pouting cause you ain't getting the ball, gotta do ALL of your job and when blocking is called for you better do it, running out of bounds and limping off all the time probably won't set well either with Leach, etc.

Mobile Bay
01-14-2020, 08:09 AM
Shock waves probably gonna be there for quite a few ... but yea he's one those waves may hit hard. Leach don't tolerate divas, phones off limits during practices/games, doesn't tolerate pouting cause you ain't getting the ball, gotta do ALL of your job and when blocking is called for you better do it, running out of bounds and limping off all the time probably won't set well either with Leach, etc.

One of the nice things about Coach Leach's methods is nobody will be not getting the ball enough. One of the things he does at half time is check and make sure everybody is. This helps him avoid patterns that a defense can pick up on. If you are on the field with him you will get the ball.

dawgday166
01-14-2020, 08:11 AM
One of the nice things about Coach Leach's methods is nobody will be not getting the ball enough. One of the things he does at half time is check and make sure everybody is. This helps him avoid patterns that a defense can pick up on. If you are on the field with him you will get the ball.

Yea I've read that. Just kinda saying that the "team" comes first to Leach. I imagine all the chest bumping and TD celebrations gonna be cut down on too. He's just a "do your job" / no showboating type dude. Not for sure on that one tho ... I like if if our guys just act like they been in the end zone before. Toss the ball to the ref and go on about your biz.

StateDawg44
01-14-2020, 08:36 AM
Yea I've read that. Just kinda saying that the "team" comes first to Leach. I imagine all the chest bumping and TD celebrations gonna be cut down on too. He's just a "do your job" / no showboating type dude. Not for sure on that one tho ... I like if if our guys just act like they been in the end zone before. Toss the ball to the ref and go on about your biz.

This has driven me crazy for the past 2 years. We could get a stop to make it 2 & 1 and our players would jump up and beat their chest like they just had a 4th down goal-line stop. Only to have a busted play the next down for a 60-yd. TD. Not only did it make the players/MSU look dumb, it showed how much the game was about the individual and not the team. This is one of the main things that needs to be fixed.

dawgday166
01-14-2020, 08:39 AM
This has driven me crazy for the past 2 years. We could get a stop to make it 2 & 1 and our players would jump up and beat their chest like they just had a 4th down goal-line stop. Only to have a busted play the next down for a 60-yd. TD. Not only did it make the players/MSU look dumb, it showed how much the game was about the individual and not the team. This is one of the main things that needs to be fixed.

Same here. I'm pretty sure what you're describing will stop.

Indndawg
01-14-2020, 08:53 AM

It will start this spring.....it will be changed by the end of fall practice b4 the 1st game. I blv IB emphasized this to the Pirate and we will accomplish to within 9 mos.

Hard work, hard work, hard work. Finding the leaders, getting them to buy in and spread from there to the followers

Yes. The picture of that first team meeting said alot. You could see many of the players' faces were tuned all business...a few were...like man...not sure if I'm gonna like this

Mjoelner34
01-14-2020, 09:20 AM

It didnt stop with the players either. After the egg bowl Shitshow Joe was pounding his chest in the press conference like we had just taken down Bama instead of lucking out a win against a broken 4-8 team because of a dog piss celebration. That pissed me off more than the rock kicking, sand pounding comments.

Johnson85
01-14-2020, 09:49 AM

Leach is going to change the culture in just the off season. The question is going to be how many players leave or get kicked off in order to complete the culture change.

My initial thought was it would not be that many based on the fact that Moorhead was only here two years. But that means that roughly half the people on the roster haven't been part of a good culture, and I'm not sure the last two years of Mullen were as good culture wise as previous years. The 2016 team obviously had some issues. Not sure about 2017 but the way we fell apart on the road is concerning to me. Not sure the RS JR and SRs and RS Srs having that year in 2017 is going to make them much more receptive to Leach or make it that much easier for Leach to get buy-in to a good culture. It's going to depend on the players wanting better coaching and more accountability.

Commercecomet24
01-14-2020, 09:58 AM
I've rewatched a lot of WSU games this past week. WSU while they might not have been as talented as the other team they played extremely hard, on both sides of the ball. And while their defense did give up some points it wasn't from lack effort. It was impressive to watch. Play disciplined on both sides of the ball as well.

Indndawg
01-14-2020, 01:14 PM
I've rewatched a lot of WSU games this past week. WSU while they might not have been as talented as the other team they played extremely hard, on both sides of the ball. And while their defense did give up some points it wasn't from lack effort. It was impressive to watch. Play disciplined on both sides of the ball as well.

in 2020

Commercecomet24
01-14-2020, 01:19 PM
in 2020

Amen and that generally leads to very good results.

confucius say
01-14-2020, 01:56 PM
I would think the guys who were around in 2016 and 2017 under Mullen could get in line pretty fast. They know what it is supposed to look like.

The incoming guys should be easy to get through too. They don't know any different.

It's the guys that were here in only 2018 and/or 2019 that I worry about.

Scared_Hitless
01-14-2020, 03:22 PM
I would think the guys who were around in 2016 and 2017 under Mullen could get in line pretty fast. They know what it is supposed to look like.

The incoming guys should be easy to get through too. They don't know any different.

Imagine going from Joe to Mike Leach, they are in for a culture shock for sure. Fear is an incredible motivator, we will probably have a few not cut out for it.

DLGDawg
01-14-2020, 03:44 PM

Excellent points Confucius. I concur dr.