PDA

View Full Version : Air Raid Question

Rex54
01-13-2020, 09:06 AM
What is the difference between Leach, Sumlin, and June Jones? What makes Leach more successful than the other Air Raid guys?

Tbonewannabe
01-13-2020, 09:20 AM
What is the difference between Leach, Sumlin, and June Jones? What makes Leach more successful than the other Air Raid guys?

Just from everything I have read, Leach just has a knack for making it simple so his players can play fast. I think you saw a lot with JoMo that the offense was so complicated that it slowed everything down. He also has an ability to get a QB to play to his max potential. I don't know how but he does it. Sumlin seemed to have the opposite affect on QBs. June Jones also won at some places that doesn't normally win.

Worst case scenario, this is going to be an interesting time seeing how well Leach can do against SEC defenses.

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2020, 09:21 AM

He has charisma & he's more intelligent than the others.

- Sumlin is a drunk & copy cat of Leach's
- June Jones has the charisma of a lap dog.

So many times, coaches get grouped by scheme, but in reality it's their ability to connect with players, simplify, & educate that makes the difference. Grouping coaches by scheme is the same as saying all math teachers are basically the same or all English teachers are basically the same. We all know that's not true as some educators have the ability to stir up a passion within you & simplify a complex issue into something you can digest.

We no longer have a substitute teacher, we have everybody's favorite professor

Santiago
01-13-2020, 09:22 AM
I have followed Leach since he started at Tech, while living in TX, and have the same question. He seems to have built a reputation on offense to recruit skill players. Lincoln Riley, Heupel, Kingsbury though have used his concepts and doing well.
Good question though about Jones and Sumlin. Sumlin I think is lazy and parties alot or something personal about him does not transfer to being hard nosed in developing players.
So the guys that learn from him who also have intangibles seem to become successful eventually

defiantdog
01-13-2020, 09:32 AM
Leach expects more from his team and makes them work for everything..... Sumlin is similar to JoMo when it comes to dealing with his team.

Spiderman
01-13-2020, 09:52 AM

Sumlin added to the true Air Raid. If you ever noticed A&M would always just zip down the field and score on their 1st possession.Why? because they were going Air Raid with the QB making most of the calls at the line with tempo. Then they would go back to more conventional stuff that he added in. Plus, Sumlin must just not be as good of a coach.

Jones is a run and shoot guy, not Air Raid. It looks similar, but the principles are different. Air Raid stole some R&S stuff, and lately R&S has stolen some Air Raid stuff, but they are different.

dawgday166
01-13-2020, 09:58 AM
Couple of other things I think help Leach:
1) He's coached Oline before becoming OC and his Olines are good. He's putting guys into the league at WSU.
2) His teams are physical. I was quite surprised with how physical they are. They were laying the wood to AU in 2013. They weren't intimidated in the least. They also were tackling in the open field very well. They got burnt on long explosive plays which is why they lost.
3) He's a hard ass/old school coach.