PDA

View Full Version : Assistant Coach Recruiting Thread?

OLJWales
01-12-2020, 08:59 PM
Would love to be able to conveniently log in and see what's up as the days pass starting Monday. You know, rumors, facts , actual hires, their resumes, shit like that.

HailStateSZN19
01-12-2020, 09:38 PM
Rosie said on 247 that he’s heard Leach is interviewing someone for the DC spot tomorrow. Wonder who it could be....?

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2020, 09:43 PM
Agree. This needs to be pinned to the top like the recruiting board until the staff is filled out.

Todd4State
01-12-2020, 10:02 PM
Rosie said on 247 that he’s heard Leach is interviewing someone for the DC spot tomorrow. Wonder who it could be....?

Assuming it's Strong. It sounds like they want to get the staff in place by the end of the week.

Hiring a DC under Leach is essentially going to be like another mini-head coaching search.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-12-2020, 11:12 PM
Assuming it's Strong. It sounds like they want to get the staff in place by the end of the week.

Hiring a DC under Leach is essentially going to be like another mini-head coaching search.

Was it here someone said they knew someone close to Strong that said he was asked by one of our candidates if he would be DC and he told them he wasn?t going to Starkville?

Dogbone
01-12-2020, 11:18 PM
I remember reading that on here yesterday but can't remember who it was from.

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-12-2020, 11:24 PM

Someone asked Steve if he had heard of any names that he could share. He said that he had heard a couple of names being thrown around (I'm assuming he heard Strong), but he said that he had inquired about them and was told they were not candidates, so he wouldn't put their name out there.

Of course, I'm just reading between the lines here and assuming one of the names he had heard was Strong.

defiantdog
01-12-2020, 11:39 PM
I'm just hoping the rumor I heard about Mike Stoops being interested isn't true.

Todd4State
01-12-2020, 11:41 PM
If I were making a short list Matt House who is the KC Chiefs LB coach and was the DC at Kentucky the previous two years before that would be on it.

TheLostDawg
01-12-2020, 11:44 PM
I'm going to be really worried if it's strong. I'm good gambling on Leach. I just don't want to gamble on offense and defense. I'd rather have some body we know will do well than take a risk on both sides of the ball. Not only do we not know how strong would do coaching a defense in the current SEC but he probably wouldn't stay if he did well. Recruiting is the only positive we can count on and if what is said above is true about him but wanting to be here then we better move away from the idea of strong pretty quick

Todd4State
01-12-2020, 11:48 PM
I'm just hoping the rumor I heard about Mike Stoops being interested isn't true.

I'm sure he's interested. Not sure if we would be though. He's an analyst at Alabama.

Todd4State
01-13-2020, 12:00 AM
I'd also look at Tosh Lupoi who I believe is unemployed right now. He was the Cleveland Browns DL coach and was the DC for Alabama in 2018 and put up numbers similar to our 2018 defense albeit with Alabama talent. Knows the SEC though and is well thought of. May be able to bring in Bo Davis as DL coach.

Charles Kelly who is Alabama's DB coach had some good numbers at FSU as their DC. A little turnabout is fair play for stealing Baker and Huff?

Captain Falcon
01-13-2020, 12:08 AM
Lupoi took the DL coach job with the Falcons, so he won’t be on our staff.

Todd4State
01-13-2020, 12:16 AM
Lupoi took the DL coach job with the Falcons, so he won’t be on our staff.

Didn't know that. I bet if we offered him 1.5 million he would change his mind.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-13-2020, 12:43 AM
Didn't know that. I bet if we offered him 1.5 million he would change his mind.

Tosh was stripped of play calling duties during the 2018 season after like 4 games. He's not a DC but he's a helluva recruiter.

Todd4State
01-13-2020, 12:44 AM
Tosh was stripped of play calling duties during the 2018 season after like 4 games. He's not a DC but he's a helluva recruiter.

Yikes! Did Saban or Golding call the plays?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-13-2020, 12:45 AM
Yikes! Did Saban or Golding call the plays?

Golding

Todd4State
01-13-2020, 12:51 AM
Here's one of my favorite DC's. I follow Army football and this guy is awesome. He would be absolutely lethal with Leach. He coached at UNC this year and they finished 4th in the ACC in scoring and went from allowing 34 PPG to 23.7. They also allowed almost 100 YPG less in total defense in his one year since he took over. Why I never thought of him until now- I have no idea. He had Army in the top 10 in total defense three years in a row. Was a candidate to be the head coach at Charlotte.

https://goheels.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/jay-bateman/3339

https://www.againstallenemies.com/2019/8/7/20758940/jay-bateman-army-defense-unc-tar-heels-west-point-mack-brown-2019-football

Todd4State
01-13-2020, 12:52 AM
Golding

Makes sense. Thanks. And at least I know we need to stay the heck away from Lupoi. I don't know that I care for DL coaches as DC's personally anyway.

Quaoarsking
01-13-2020, 01:01 AM
Here's one of my favorite DC's. I follow Army football and this guy is awesome. He would be absolutely lethal with Leach. He coached at UNC this year and they finished 4th in the ACC in scoring and went from allowing 34 PPG to 23.7. They also allowed almost 100 YPG less in total defense in his one year since he took over. Why I never thought of him until now- I have no idea. He had Army in the top 10 in total defense three years in a row. Was a candidate to be the head coach at Charlotte.

https://www.againstallenemies.com/2019/8/7/20758940/jay-bateman-army-defense-unc-tar-heels-west-point-mack-brown-2019-football

Not to cut down on a guy I've barely heard of, but it's probably not that hard to have a top 10 defense at a school that shortens games by almost exclusively running, and also plays an independent schedule of mostly G5 schools and also 2 FCS schools annually.

He does seem like a good cultural fit though, and a good track record of discipline and coaching players up.

HailStateSZN19
01-13-2020, 01:02 AM

I was reading through an article that listed some of the top defensive minds in CFB and Bateman was listed in like the top 15-20 in the country. So I did some reading on him and he did a hell of a job at UNC with their defense as you laid out in your post. He did a hell of a job while at Army for several years too. Was a finalist for the Broyles Award in 2018. He’d be an interesting option.

Todd4State
01-13-2020, 02:13 AM
I was reading through an article that listed some of the top defensive minds in CFB and Bateman was listed in like the top 15-20 in the country. So I did some reading on him and he did a hell of a job at UNC with their defense as you laid out in your post. He did a hell of a job while at Army for several years too. Was a finalist for the Broyles Award in 2018. He?d be an interesting option.

He would be awesome. Likes to blitz a lot. And as far as Army- talking about doing more with less. If he came here he would basically inherit an entire d-line of four stars, a veteran LB in Errol, a couple of decent corners including one who was rated very high by PFF as a freshman and a four star safety.

Not to cut down on a guy I've barely heard of, but it's probably not that hard to have a top 10 defense at a school that shortens games by almost exclusively running, and also plays an independent schedule of mostly G5 schools and also 2 FCS schools annually.

He does seem like a good cultural fit though, and a good track record of discipline and coaching players up.

It's logical to think that. But if you look at Army's stats

31 in total defense this year after he left. 8, 32, and 4 the three years he was their DC. 41, 97, 72 in total defense the three years before his arrival.

Army improved significantly when he stepped foot onto their campus.

Spiderman
01-13-2020, 07:07 AM
I'd also look at Tosh Lupoi who I believe is unemployed right now. He was the Cleveland Browns DL coach and was the DC for Alabama in 2018 and put up numbers similar to our 2018 defense albeit with Alabama talent. Knows the SEC though and is well thought of. May be able to bring in Bo Davis as DL coach.

Charles Kelly who is Alabama's DB coach had some good numbers at FSU as their DC. A little turnabout is fair play for stealing Baker and Huff?

Tosh for DL coach? Yes please everyday all day.

For DC? No thanks

Ifyouonlyknew
01-13-2020, 09:44 AM
Bo Bounds has mentioned Randy Shannon as a lead candidate for the DC job. I'd be very ok with that. He's coached some really good defenses at Miami & Florida & he's done a very solid job at UCF with an uptempo, high scoring offense.

https://ucfknights.com/staff-directory/randy-shannon/1655

HailStateSZN19
01-13-2020, 09:52 AM
Bo Bounds has mentioned Randy Shannon as a lead candidate for the DC job. I'd be very ok with that. He's coached some really good defenses at Miami & Florida & he's done a very solid job at UCF with an uptempo, high scoring offense.

He's got an impressive resume for sure. Won the Broyles Award at Miami. His defenses at Miami in consecutive seasons ranked 6th, 7th, 2nd, 28th, 4th, and 7th. At UF, had the 20th ranked defense in 2015 and the 5th ranked defense in 2016. UCF he's fallen back a bit but still within the top 45 both seasons with less talent to work with. How is his recruiting?

Irondawg
01-13-2020, 10:06 AM
Shannon would be a good one, he was one of the guys that caught me eye in an earlier thread

ZedFedder
01-13-2020, 12:53 PM
Randy Shannon is also a heck of a recruiter. He played at The U in the glory days, and I think he knows how to talk to these kids.

basedog
01-13-2020, 01:18 PM

So do you think Shannon>Strong? I have not a clue but the eye test for me would be Shannon.

Westdawg
01-13-2020, 01:22 PM
I'd take Shannon over Strong every day of the week and twice on Saturdays !!
It ain't even close

KOdawg1
01-13-2020, 01:24 PM
Randy Shannon would be my choice out of all the names listed. If we could pull, that I'd feel good about the future of the defense

Ifyouonlyknew
01-13-2020, 01:26 PM
So do you think Shannon>Strong? I have not a clue but the eye test for me would be Shannon.

Either or would be fine by me. Shannon has the recency of being a DC so I suppose that helps.

Todd4State
01-13-2020, 01:41 PM
I would be good with Randy Shannon. Arkansas's defense fell apart after he left.

StarkVegasSteve
01-13-2020, 01:47 PM
Randy Shannon would be an interesting one. He's the one that recruited most of the past two years Florida D that had so much talent. And obviously has HC experience from his time at Miami. I'd be ok with either him or Strong honestly. They both have solid recruiting ties in our recruiting area and both have a lot of experience in this conference.

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2020, 02:15 PM
Cohenz on Matt Wyatt right now:

- Leach is currently interviewing a DC candidate right now.

- Leach was already searching for a DC at Wazzou so much of his leg work has been done already.

- Said Leach is unbelievable at breaking down what he wants in a DC

HailStateSZN19
01-13-2020, 02:19 PM
Cohenz on Matt Wyatt right now:

- Leach is currently interviewing a DC candidate right now.

- Leach was already searching for a DC at Wazzou so much of his leg work has been done already.

- Said Leach is unbelievable at breaking down what he wants in a DC

Really hope it's either Shannon or Strong. Wouldn't hate Jay Bateman either. Rosie said "Jay Bateman was positioning for a spot on the staff back during the HC search" on 247 today. But he'd definitely be behind Shannon/Strong without question for me.

tireddawg
01-13-2020, 02:38 PM
I love Randy Shannon. He would be a HR hire for DC. I think he's one of the best in the country. Good recruiter & would be no worries on that side of the ball. He's got some connections.

I also think some1 needs to take a chance on Ed Reed, not as DC yet, but a position coach. I think Reed could be an up & comer given the right opportunity. A very high football IQ

bulldawg28
01-13-2020, 02:48 PM
Reed as a secondary coach would be outstanding!

Coursesuper
01-13-2020, 02:49 PM
Reed as a secondary coach would be outstanding!

where is he currently?

tireddawg
01-13-2020, 03:01 PM
He's not coaching. He wants to. He was last with the Bill's in '16, I think was his last job. What I've read on him, I think his style is more suited for the college game. He's a film junkie. Needs to get on as a position coach and work his way up. I could be totally off, but I think he's got the potential to be a really good coach. He was always an extension of the coach when he played, like I said a high football IQ

dawgday166
01-13-2020, 03:41 PM
Don't want any Bama DC. The 2 I'd take are HCs now. Their D's have sucked compared to talent they have had since Pruitt left.

StarkVegasSteve
01-13-2020, 03:48 PM
He's not coaching. He wants to. He was last with the Bill's in '16, I think was his last job. What I've read on him, I think his style is more suited for the college game. He's a film junkie. Needs to get on as a position coach and work his way up. I could be totally off, but I think he's got the potential to be a really good coach. He was always an extension of the coach when he played, like I said a high football IQ

Not sure if we want to take a chance on such an inexperienced coach with what is still a relatively young secondary, but if you're going to take a chance then Ed Reed would be a guy to take a chance on. His name alone will get you into just about any home in America for a prospect. Super Bowl Champion, Pro Football HOFer, and one of the best safeties to ever play the game. Not sure the connection outside of maybe Shannon having a Miami connection with him.

HoopsDawg
01-13-2020, 06:00 PM
Shannon is a 4-3 cover 2 guy but he would be a good choice if we can't find a competent 3-4 guy.

HailStateSZN19
01-13-2020, 06:01 PM
Shannon is a 4-3 cover 2 guy but he would be a good choice if we can't find a competent 3-4 guy.

Have you heard who it is that Leach interviewed today?

Extendedcab
01-13-2020, 07:02 PM
Steve Spurrier shared at the Polynesian Bowl in Hawaii on Monday that his son, Steve Spurrier Jr., will be following Leach to Mississippi State according to 247Sports.

Coursesuper
01-13-2020, 07:23 PM
Deleted

HoopsDawg
01-13-2020, 07:30 PM
Have you heard who it is that Leach interviewed today?

No, I have not heard.

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2020, 07:30 PM
Steve Spurrier shared at the Polynesian Bowl in Hawaii on Monday that his son, Steve Spurrier Jr., will be following Leach to Mississippi State according to 247Sports.

STEVE SPURRIER FINALLY COMES MSU!!!!!!

ZedFedder
01-13-2020, 07:31 PM
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/jan/13/report-washington-state-outside-wrs-coach-steve-sp/?amp-content=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Great info about who might also be coming.

dawgday166
01-13-2020, 07:32 PM

He coached WRs for his dad for about 10 years . Doesn't get better than that right there. That's something having Steve Spurrier Jr. on our coaching staff haha.

Sportsdog
01-13-2020, 07:33 PM
Also add Eric Mele-Running backs, Mason Miller-offensive line, and new special teams and rush coach from WSU. According to WSU 247.

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2020, 07:43 PM
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/jan/13/report-washington-state-outside-wrs-coach-steve-sp/?amp-content=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Great info about who might also be coming.

Mele is from New Jersey

Miller is from Georgia. Played under Leach at Valdosta

Glad Spurrier has SEC experience & obviously knows what is going due to his dad. Having Spurrier here will really help Leach

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2020, 07:47 PM
New director of player personnel

https://wsucougars.com/staff-directory/brittany-thackery/339

TheLostDawg
01-14-2020, 11:04 AM
Any news on any positions

Prediction? Pain.
01-14-2020, 01:11 PM
Quick little statistical nugget regarding Coach Miller, our new OL coach:

So the trajectory of Leach's offense at WSU was a steady climb from not-so-hot to elite stretched across eight years. First offense was 88th/102nd nationally in SP+ and FEI, the second and third jumped 30 or 40 spots, and, by years seven and eight, he had a nationally elite unit (13th/8th in '18, 5th/11th in '19).

But there was a blip along the way. In 2017, he dropped from a good/great 2017 offense (30th/11th) to his lowest since year one or two (50th/71st). I haven't had time to research it enough to know all the ins and outs, but it looks like they returned a fair amount of experience in 2017, so it seemed odd that they'd drop so much and then make a crazy huge jump in '18 and '19 (Minshew factor aside for '18, obviously).

Well, here's one thing about 2017 -- they sucked at pass blocking from out of nowhere. In '15 and '16, they'd been alright at rate of sacks allowed. Top 50 in '15, top 40 in '16. But in '17, they dropped to 83rd nationally (and 98th on passing downs). For a pass-first offense, I figure that's got to be a killer.

So after the '17 season -- which wasn't a dud despite the offensive dip, by the way; they went 9-4 -- Leach fired his O-line coach of six years (who'd played and coached under Leach at Texas Tech) and hired Mason Miller, who had Leach/Mumme connections dating back to Valdosta St. and had just spent a year coaching Nevada's OL. WSU's 2018 line returned only 41 career starts, good for 111th nationally and 12th in the PAC 12, so dude had his job cut out for him.

Turns out he was up to the task. The difference in pass blocking was night and day -- from 83rd in rate of sacks allowed to 1st. Yes, 1st nationally.

Ah, but the Minshew effect! Right?

Definitely. So much so, that after Minshew left, they took a major dive -- in 2019, his OL was 2nd nationally in rate of sacks allowed.

That's pretty damn strong.

Commercecomet24
01-14-2020, 01:23 PM
Quick little statistical nugget regarding Coach Miller, our new OL coach:

So the trajectory of Leach's offense at WSU was a steady climb from not-so-hot to elite stretched across eight years. First offense was 88th/102nd nationally in SP+ and FEI, the second and third jumped 30 or 40 spots, and, by years seven and eight, he had a nationally elite unit (13th/8th in '18, 5th/11th in '19).

But there was a blip along the way. In 2017, he dropped from a good/great 2017 offense (30th/11th) to his lowest since year one or two (50th/71st). I haven't had time to research it enough to know all the ins and outs, but it looks like they returned a fair amount of experience in 2017, so it seemed odd that they'd drop so much and then make a crazy huge jump in '18 and '19 (Minshew factor aside for '18, obviously).

Well, here's one thing about 2017 -- they sucked at pass blocking from out of nowhere. In '15 and '16, they'd been alright at rate of sacks allowed. Top 50 in '15, top 40 in '16. But in '17, they dropped to 83rd nationally (and 98th on passing downs). For a pass-first offense, I figure that's got to be a killer.

Well, after the '17 season -- which wasn't a dud despite the offensive dip, by the way; they went 9-4 -- Leach fired his O-line coach of six years (who'd played and coached under Leach at Texas Tech) and hired Mason Miller, who had Leach/Mumme connections dating back to Valdosta St. and had just spent a year coaching Nevada's OL. WSU's 2018 line returned only 41 career starts, good for 111th nationally and 12 in the PAC 12, so dude had his job cut out for him.

Well, the difference in pass blocking was night and day -- from 83rd in rate of sacks allowed to 1st. Yes, 1st nationally.

Ah, but the Minshew effect! Right?

Definitely. So much so, that after Minshew left, they took a major dive -- in 2019, his OL was 2nd nationally in rate of sacks allowed.

That's pretty damn strong.

That's good stuff right there. OL play determines how good your offense is gonna be. Sounds like the dud can coach. Thanks, Pain!

Prediction? Pain.
01-14-2020, 01:33 PM
That's good stuff right there. OL play determines how good your offense is gonna be. Sounds like the dud can coach. Thanks, Pain!

Just to be clear, dude didn't transform the offense into something it's not. They still weren't good at picking up first downs on the ground in short yardage scenarios and their other run-blocking stats were a mixed bag. (Though the rate of TFLs they allowed in '18 and '19 wasn't too shabby, oddly enough.) Still, that's a massive leap in a single year with lots of inexperience guys, and he maintained it in year 2.

Commercecomet24
01-14-2020, 01:50 PM
Just to be clear, dude didn't transform the offense into something it's not. They still weren't good at picking up first downs on the ground in short yardage scenarios and their other run-blocking stats were a mixed bag. (Though the rate of TFLs they allowed in '18 and '19 wasn't too shabby, oddly enough.) Still, that's a massive leap in a single year with lots of inexperience guys, and he maintained it in year 2.

I gotcha but as you said it's a massive leap and to maintain as well points to him being pretty good at what he does. I'm thinking he's gonna be a big upgrade to what we've had the last couple of years.

HailStateSZN19
01-14-2020, 03:27 PM
Am I reading too much into it (entirely possible) or is it strange that Dave Nichol's name (Outside WR coach at WSU) wasn't leaked at the same time as Mele (RB), Spurrier Jr. (IWR), Miller (OL), Brock (ST), and Emerick (Chief of Staff)? If he was for sure coming, wouldn't his name have been leaked at the same time or at least by now? Wonder if I'm just reading too much into that or if we're looking at someone else for IWR?

Cooterpoot
01-14-2020, 03:31 PM
Am I reading too much into it (entirely possible) or is it strange that Dave Nichol's name (Outside WR coach at WSU) wasn't leaked at the same time as Mele (RB), Spurrier Jr. (IWR), Miller (OL), Brock (ST), and Emerick (Chief of Staff)? If he was for sure coming, wouldn't his name have been leaked at the same time or at least by now? Wonder if I'm just reading too much into that or if we're looking at someone else for IWR?

It was with the others.

HailStateSZN19
01-14-2020, 03:38 PM
It was with the others.

In the 247 article, it only lists Mele, Miller, Spurrier Jr., Brock, Emerick, and Brown. No mention of Nichol.

In fact, just saw Dave Murray say this about Nichol on 247: "Not confirmed by our sources. Or not enough to feel confident to include, better way to say it."

IF he was 100% coming, wouldn't they have confirmed it by now and him been included in the article?

HaggardDawg
01-14-2020, 04:45 PM
Tosh for DL coach? Yes please everyday all day.

For DC? No thanks

I was told Tosh Lupoi currently has a show cause

Really Clark?
01-14-2020, 04:58 PM
I was told Tosh Lupoi currently has a show cause

He coached at Bama up until last year. Are you thinking about Bo Davis? His ended last April

Cooterpoot
01-14-2020, 05:06 PM
In the 247 article, it only lists Mele, Miller, Spurrier Jr., Brock, Emerick, and Brown. No mention of Nichol.

In fact, just saw Dave Murray say this about Nichol on 247: "Not confirmed by our sources. Or not enough to feel confident to include, better way to say it."

IF he was 100% coming, wouldn't they have confirmed it by now and him been included in the article?

He was listed in one of their posts unless it's been removed because I didn't think he was coming either. But his name was on the list.

HailStateSZN19
01-14-2020, 05:09 PM
He was listed in one of their posts unless it's been removed because I didn't think he was coming either. But his name was on the list.

It's been removed I guess if it was there because he's no where in the article and Murray said what I put in quotes this afternoon. That's interesting that he might not be coming. Interested to see what we do with that IWR spot if that's the case....

HaggardDawg
01-14-2020, 06:35 PM
He coached at Bama up until last year. Are you thinking about Bo Davis? His ended last April

No it's Lupoi. I was told on 100% authority from someone who would know that he has a show cause. They keep things under wraps in Tuscaloosa. He just took a job with the Falcons.

Really Clark?
01-14-2020, 07:08 PM
No it's Lupoi. I was told on 100% authority from someone who would know that he has a show cause. They keep things under wraps in Tuscaloosa. He just took a job with the Falcons.

Well they?re wrong. A show cause comes from the NCAA and has to be made public. They had the full right up about Bo Davis in the media and his 2 year show cause when he was at Bama. Lupoi didn?t get at show cause last year. He found a landing spot away from Bama because he lost DC game call duties during the season last year and they were parting ways with him.

Todd4State
01-15-2020, 03:45 AM
The tea leaves on Genespage seem to think that Ryan Walters from Mizzou is the favorite to be our DC.

https://www.rockmnation.com/2019/12/18/21028291/missouri-tigers-football-ryan-walters-eliah-drinkwitz-defensive-coordintator

They run a 4-2-5. Brick Haley is their DL coach.

Outside of Wyoming their defense was very good. That certainly could be considered an outlier given the fact that Walters coached from the box in that game and then they made marked improvement once he began coaching on the field. They were 5th in the SEC in PPG at 19.4 and third in total defense.

Dawgfan77
01-15-2020, 06:16 AM
My concern is he was DC under Odom. A defensive HC. Who was calling the plays

Ifyouonlyknew
01-15-2020, 07:48 AM
My concern is he was DC under Odom. A defensive HC. Who was calling the plays

Odom was the HC for 4 years. The defense started to improve the last 2 years when Walters became DC. According to Odom & the players Walters was the play caller & mastermind.

https://www.neoshodailynews.com/sports/20191004/rising-up-ranks-walters-leads-mizzous-defensive-resurgence?template=ampart

FISHDAWG
01-15-2020, 08:06 AM

Ha ... I remember Steve telling his son when they were on the golf course to tell MSU he wasn't coming here ... his son was on the phone for him as they were playing golf and apparently Steve didn't even want to talk to us .... can't blame him because Davis-Wade Stadium over the years wasn't really nice to him .... and I'm not talking about the fans either

ShotgunDawg
01-15-2020, 08:58 AM
Ha ... I remember Steve telling his son when they were on the golf course to tell MSU he wasn't coming here ... his son was on the phone for him as they were playing golf and apparently Steve didn't even want to talk to us .... can't blame him because Davis-Wade Stadium over the years wasn't really nice to him .... and I'm not talking about the fans either

Spurrier himself says he was close to taking the MSU job but Florida came in.

Not sure this story is correct

FISHDAWG
01-15-2020, 10:34 AM
Spurrier himself says he was close to taking the MSU job but Florida came in.

Not sure this story is correct

I heard him say it himself on camera during an interview back in the day

DEDawg
01-15-2020, 11:17 AM
The tea leaves on Genespage seem to think that Ryan Walters from Mizzou is the favorite to be our DC.

https://www.rockmnation.com/2019/12/18/21028291/missouri-tigers-football-ryan-walters-eliah-drinkwitz-defensive-coordintator

They run a 4-2-5. Brick Haley is their DL coach.

Outside of Wyoming their defense was very good. That certainly could be considered an outlier given the fact that Walters coached from the box in that game and then they made marked improvement once he began coaching on the field. They were 5th in the SEC in PPG at 19.4 and third in total defense.

Damn... we'd seriously rather have this guy instead of Shoop? Or is Shoop just not interested in coaching under Leach?

Edit: Just looked at his recruiting rankings as well. Pretty abysmal if 24/7 is right.. I know it's hard to say exactly who is the lead recruiter on these guys but missouri is pretty much always last after Vandy in the SEC. I just don't understand this hire at all if we go this way

Really Clark?
01-15-2020, 11:23 AM
Damn... we'd seriously rather have this guy instead of Shoop? Or is Shoop just not interested in coaching under Leach?

Edit: Just looked at his recruiting rankings as well. Pretty abysmal if 24/7 is right.. I know it's hard to say exactly who is the lead recruiter on these guys but missouri is pretty much always last after Vandy in the SEC. I just don't understand this hire at all if we go this way

His Top 15 defense this last season would be my best guess. Shoop was looking for a landing spot away from Joe and I really think other than Hughes, Leach wants a clean house. And I like Shoop a lot as DC but understand Leach?s approach.

DEDawg
01-15-2020, 11:28 AM
His Top 20 defense this last season would be my best guess.

Guess so.. They were 52 the year before. I'm gonna get blasted for saying this and I know it's very 'ole miss' but it seems were about to take some steps back in recruiting. I know you need quality coaches first but I thought the big increase in assistant pool was supposed to let us go get guys who were both great coaches and recruiters. But yeah I mean if we could only have one of the 2 traits I'd take great coaching all day

Really Clark?
01-15-2020, 11:34 AM
Guess so.. They were 52 the year before. I'm gonna get blasted for saying this and I know it's very 'ole miss' but it seems were about to take some steps back in recruiting. I know you need quality coaches first but I thought the big increase in assistant pool was supposed to let us go get guys who were both great coaches and recruiters. But yeah I mean if we could only have one of the 2 traits I'd take great coaching all day

Yeah but DC doesn?t have to be, and for most schools a DC is an average recruiter at best. The position coaches need to be great recruiters more so than the DC. If he brings Brick with him, that?s a win as well.

LibraryDawg
01-15-2020, 11:50 AM
Anyone have insight as to why we haven't seen official announcements on the guys that the media has reported are coming from Wazzu?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-15-2020, 11:56 AM
Anyone have insight as to why we haven't seen official announcements on the guys that the media has reported are coming from Wazzu?

My guess is they may do a mass announcement with the entire staff.

dawgday166
01-15-2020, 12:02 PM
His Top 15 defense this last season would be my best guess. Shoop was looking for a landing spot away from Joe and I really think other than Hughes, Leach wants a clean house. And I like Shoop a lot as DC but understand Leach?s approach.

My thoughts too.

HailStateSZN19
01-15-2020, 12:06 PM
Anybody have a guesstimate timeline of when we should expect a decision on the DC spot? It's got to be soon so he can fill out all the position coaches before OV's next weekend.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-15-2020, 12:09 PM
Anybody have a guesstimate timeline of when we should expect a decision on the DC spot? It's got to be soon so he can fill out all the position coaches before OV's next weekend.

Likely by the end of the week.

HailStateSZN19
01-15-2020, 12:10 PM

Thanks!

Any prediction on who you expect it to be IYOK?

I'm personally hoping for Walters + Brick coming back.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-15-2020, 01:18 PM
Thanks!

Any prediction on who you expect it to be IYOK?

I'm personally hoping for Walters + Brick coming back.

Hard to say without knowing who all Leach is talking to. I do like Walters though.

Todd4State
01-15-2020, 02:08 PM

Personally I think it will be the middle of next week at the earliest and maybe made official at the end of next week if we're still interviewing people.

Todd4State
01-15-2020, 02:11 PM
Rocky Long could be someone to watch. He's 70 but if he would coach in the right situation- and having complete autonomy over our defense and 1.3-1.5 million sounds like something I would imagine he would be interested in. He went 10-3 at San Diego State this year before retiring so he's not a guy that has "lost it". He's a 3-3-5 guy and highly respected.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-15-2020, 02:14 PM
Personally I think it will be the middle of next week at the earliest and maybe made official at the end of next week if we're still interviewing people.

I don't see it dragging out that long. We're likely to have OV next weekends so we can't wait that long.

HailStateSZN19
01-15-2020, 02:15 PM

We're gonna have to get something done before the middle of next week. Whoever this DC hire is, he's gonna have to hire the position coaches and get them in here as well. Next weekend resumes OV's for us I believe. Don't think we have any set for this weekend but bet we do starting next weekend.

BuckyIsAB****
01-15-2020, 06:03 PM
We need to put this staff salary to good use. Im assuming Spurrier is getting a good chunk (he deserves it) but we arent going to have to outbid anyone else for the rest of these guys. We need to use it on defense. We can do better than Walters. Go get a guy. Basically a HC for the defense that is going to hire some dawgs than can bring some real dawgs in here to run and hit

BhamDawg205
01-15-2020, 07:01 PM
We need to put this staff salary to good use. Im assuming Spurrier is getting a good chunk (he deserves it) but we arent going to have to outbid anyone else for the rest of these guys. We need to use it on defense. We can do better than Walters. Go get a guy. Basically a HC for the defense that is going to hire some dawgs than can bring some real dawgs in here to run and hit

Offer Grantham DC/ Assistant HC and pay accordingly. He can use that as a springboard if he really wants to be a HC in the future.

OLJWales
01-15-2020, 07:04 PM
Offer Grantham DC/ Assistant HC and pay accordingly. He can use that as a springboard if he really wants to be a HC in the future.

oops, you've done it now. get ready to get blasted. (talking from experience) LOL

BhamDawg205
01-15-2020, 07:10 PM
oops, you've done it now. get ready to get blasted. (talking from experience) LOL

Aw shiddd, I get blasted at home. So I have to have selected hearing and reading. They puzzies compared to my wife.

OLJWales
01-15-2020, 07:13 PM
Aw shiddd, I get blasted at home. So I have to have selected hearing and reading. They puzzies compared to my wife.

a few days back, I was like "hey, dude's son is playing baseball here, why not reach out?" .. I was scolded in all CAPS... (there are those here who know him personally who already know he's not considering)

yjnkdawg
01-15-2020, 07:49 PM

Grantham wanted our HC job twice (after Mullen and after JoeMo). He is not coming back here as a DC/Assistant HC. He is happy with Mullen and FL.

BhamDawg205
01-15-2020, 08:20 PM
a few days back, I was like "hey, dude's son is playing baseball here, why not reach out?" .. I was scolded in all CAPS... (there are those here who know him personally who already know he's not considering)

Well lately sources and insiders have been like assholes... Everybody has one, shit in shit out.

BhamDawg205
01-15-2020, 08:21 PM
Grantham wanted our HC job twice (after Mullen and after JoeMo). He is not coming back here as a DC/Assistant HC. He is happy with Mullen and FL.

More than likely true.

Randolph Dupree
01-15-2020, 09:57 PM
Well lately sources and insiders have been like assholes... Everybody has one, shit in shit out.

Somebody, I think Wyatt, said today that Grantham had something in his contract that prohibited him from taking another college DC job. He could take an NFL DC or College HC job with no issues but basically had to payback his salary if he took a college DC job. I don't remember exactly what he said but it was something along those lines. Also, it is true that he wanted our HC job twice. Bottom line is, barring something outrageous, it won't be Grantham.

FISHDAWG
01-16-2020, 07:44 AM

I'm not sure any DC anywhere was ever "happy" under Mullen ... Grantham waited around a week or two to see if we would give him a shot and when we didn't he followed the money to Florida .... he is and will remain a career DC

Really Clark?
01-16-2020, 08:21 AM
I'm not sure any DC anywhere was ever "happy" under Mullen ... Grantham waited around a week or two to see if we would give him a shot and when we didn't he followed the money to Florida .... he is and will remain a career DC

Don?t buy into all that message board speculation. Dan and Grantham get along really well. From their first meeting they have. Saban?s OC changes has been close to the same rate.