PDA

View Full Version : I've changed my mind on this seasons record I think we win 8-9 games we could

99jc
01-12-2020, 07:00 PM
Beat Any team on the schedule this year including Bama. I think Bama loses 3 games this year. LSU will certainly have a drop off. Auburn doesn't scare me nor does Texas A$M. If Leach is as good as I think he will be we should see drastic improvement this year. I won't be betting against us this season except maybe over / Under on points scored. I know there will be number of negative Nancy's saying no WR or QB proven but if Leach is the 2nd coming of the QB Whisperer look out!

Hail State!

Dogbone
01-12-2020, 07:06 PM
I hope you're right. I think so much depends on who we get for defensive coordinator. Defense has got to be solid.

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2020, 07:07 PM
To win 9, we'd have to beat both A&M and KY while not losing another.

There are 9 winnable games on the schedule, but I'm guessing we win 7 or 8.

Too many factors at play right now. I need see us in Spring

Ezsoil
01-12-2020, 07:07 PM
I think we have to see what the turnover is and who we can get in here and if the team buys in and gels ....

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2020, 07:12 PM
It's possible that by leaving, Willie Gay gets to screw his teammates one more time.

Rex54
01-12-2020, 07:15 PM
I'm happy with 6 this season; anything more is icing on the cake.

99jc
01-12-2020, 07:18 PM
It's possible that by leaving, Willie Gay gets to screw his teammates one more time.

It may be a blessing in disguise...him leaving. We just need to hold opponents to under 30 a game to win with this offense.

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2020, 07:22 PM
It may be a blessing in disguise...him leaving. We just need to hold opponents to under 30 a game to win with this offense.

If we don't have an outside LB, teams are going to kill us with that.

Good thing is if Leach can get the culture right, the DL should be pretty good this season. Maybe that'll help

Coach34
01-12-2020, 07:25 PM
We lose 2 starting LB's and our top back-up in Washington, our best DE, and basically our entire Secondary. Lots of new parts on D and even though our freshmen CB's got pushed into service early- they will still be young in 2020. Throw in the Pirate's O and we gonna be playing a good 15-20 more plays of D per game in 2020.

I get the excitement of a new coach- but we have alot of holes to fill on D. That doesnt even take into account us having offensive people that dont really match what the offense requires. I just hope we keep the bowl streak alive

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2020, 07:28 PM
We lose 2 starting LB's and our top back-up in Washington, our best DE, and basically our entire Secondary. Lots of new parts on D and even though our freshmen CB's got pushed into service early- they will still be young in 2020. Throw in the Pirate's O and we gonna be playing a good 15-20 more plays of D per game in 2020.

I get the excitement of a new coach- but we have alot of holes to fill on D. That doesnt even take into account us having offensive people that dont really match what the offense requires. I just hope we keep the bowl streak alive

I'll certainly be fine with 6 if it's clear that we're on the way up. Like 2013

99jc
01-12-2020, 07:28 PM

You may be right but I was so negative last season trying to be positive again. I think we make a bowl no problem.

Coach34
01-12-2020, 07:29 PM
If we don't have an outside LB, teams are going to kill us with that.

Good thing is if Leach can get the culture right, the DL should be pretty good this season. Maybe that'll help

We wont be very good at LB and still lack a pass rush. Spencer started 13 games and had 2 sacks. DT' s will certainly be better tho

Commercecomet24
01-12-2020, 07:31 PM
I'm excited but we have to be realistic. If we keep the bowl streak alive I'll be happy. Our lb and secondary situation is sketchy right now. The dl should be good but the d is gonna be a question mark. On offense we don't know who our qb will be and we have to find wr that can catch the football on top of the ol learning a new blocking scheme. I understand the excitement but we need to give him time for this team to transition. 6 wins and a bowl would make me happy and I believe that's doable.

Coursesuper
01-12-2020, 07:36 PM

If we do I will consider it a great job next season. So much to do, have to literally change everything and there is definitely going to be attrition within the roster. Anything else is lagniappe.

Todd4State
01-12-2020, 07:45 PM
Too many question marks at this time to make an accurate prediction.

I think improved S&C will probably be worth one extra win alone.

IF we get Franks in and get him before the spring and IF Kylin comes back all of a sudden our offense has a lot of seniors on it.

Leach would have made Willie Gay walk the plank if he took out our QB. Joe starts him in the Music City Bowl. Utterly ridiculous. He's talented and there is no question about that- but if he's the leader that scary.

On defense I'm not sure what kind of scheme we are even going to run. Is it out of the realm of possibility that we get Kobe Jones to drop 20 pounds and switch him to OLB? Maybe. Maybe not. Jordan Davis will probably play the RUSH/Elephant position that Sweat played when he was here with Grantham.

If we can get a DL of say Spencer, Pickering, and Lovett and then the LB's Kobe Jones, Errol, Wheat, with Jordan Davis as the EDGE rusher that doesn't appear to be a bad group on paper depending on what actually happens and how the JUCO's develop. The secondary will probably be Williams and Emerson at the CB's, Murphy and Fred Peters a the safety positions and Jarrian Jones at the nickle spot. I could see Janari Dean playing in a role position as a freshman potentially as well. That's a senior, two juniors, and two sophomores in the secondary.

I'm assuming that we're running a 3-4 or 3-3-5 but no ones really knows yet.

Mobile Bay
01-12-2020, 07:51 PM
To be all honest, I don't expect much next year. Like his week one at WSU, three wins is possible. We are going to process a bunch of guys off the team. Willie Gay, I am glad he is gone. He wouldn't see the field under Coach Leach.

Two or three years from now will be out coming out party.

msstate7
01-12-2020, 07:52 PM
I think 8 is the absolute ceiling. I think 6 is my number, maybe 7

Dawgfan77
01-12-2020, 07:55 PM
Leach took over a WSU program that had gone 4-32 in four dreadful conference seasons. It took him three years dig out from under the rubble, but since then the Cougars are 35-14.

We have a muuuuccchhh better roster

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2020, 07:55 PM
We wont be very good at LB and still lack a pass rush. Spencer started 13 games and had 2 sacks. DT' s will certainly be better tho

Russell could make a jump and the JUCOs appear to be highly touted. One of them could click.

Spencer will likely lose weight since we have a real S&C program now.

Todd4State
01-12-2020, 07:56 PM
To be all honest, I don't expect much next year. Like his week one at WSU, three wins is possible. We are going to process a bunch of guys off the team. Willie Gay, I am glad he is gone. He wouldn't see the field under Coach Leach.

Two or three years from now will be out coming out party.

I hope we don't have to process a bunch of players. I'm hoping that they straighten up. Just hold them accountable and it will fall into place.

dantheman4248
01-12-2020, 08:01 PM
l smell an 8 win season with 2-2 in october. We're gonna drop one to either NCState or Tulane and either Mizzou or UK. But then beat 2 of A&M, LSU, Bama, and Auburn.

West is in flux next year, wish we could fast forward our roster a year.

Also I think Gus finally gets let go after another 4 loss season next year which makes 2021 easier but that's me. 2021 is going to be a fun year.

All that hinges on the DC hire obviously. A bad one and we'll struggle for a bowl game this year and throw away a great chance in 2021.

Coursesuper
01-12-2020, 08:02 PM
I hope we don't have to process a bunch of players. I'm hoping that they straighten up. Just hold them accountable and it will fall into place.

We shall see, but don't be surprised if there are a few that some might view as must haves get gone. I don't care, this is more about the long term health of the program.

viverlibre
01-12-2020, 08:04 PM
There are certainly 8 wins on the schedule, I think even SloMo would have gotten us back to a bowl.

Commercecomet24
01-12-2020, 08:04 PM
We shall see, but don't be surprised if there are a few that some might view as must haves get gone. I don't care, this is more about the long term health of the program.

Yeah it's past time to weed the garden

RocketDawg
01-12-2020, 08:05 PM
I don't think we win more than 8 or fewer than 7-6, with the 4 probable losses being to Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU, and Auburn. We could lose to NC State and OM, but we could also win A&M.

Probably 7-5. And that's a lot better than this year's 5-7.

MarketingBully
01-12-2020, 08:05 PM
Beat Any team on the schedule this year including Bama. I think Bama loses 3 games this year. LSU will certainly have a drop off. Auburn doesn't scare me nor does Texas A$M. If Leach is as good as I think he will be we should see drastic improvement this year. I won't be betting against us this season except maybe over / Under on points scored. I know there will be number of negative Nancy's saying no WR or QB proven but if Leach is the 2nd coming of the QB Whisperer look out!

Hail State!

Love this post! I think 8-9 wins is a possibility as well! Coach Leach is a great one!

dawgday166
01-12-2020, 08:09 PM

To me there are no must haves. Howland needs to learn that in hoops ... Or remember it.

If someone wants to leave or gets kicked off team ... Bye!

dawgday166
01-12-2020, 08:12 PM
I think 8 is the absolute ceiling. I think 6 is my number, maybe 7

This is about right imo

dawgday166
01-12-2020, 08:15 PM

Hail State!

Don't get too carried away there now slick. I don't think Bama is going to be too beatable by us next year. Bama's D was young this year. They'll be a lot better next year. And it's in Tuscaloosa.

BeardoMSU
01-12-2020, 08:20 PM
I'll certainly be fine with 6 if it's clear that we're on the way up. Like 2013

This^^

Coach34
01-12-2020, 08:25 PM
It's 50/50 guys like Shrader and some others are here in August. People need to calm down and let's see what shakes out. When you have had guys skip workouts, do their thing, and yell at coaches suddenly have to do a 180- not everybody is able to adjust. We will absolutely have some attrition when we are going from "dont cuss the players" to "why cant you catch the mf'er???" and "why can't we f'ing block that twist???"....

vv83
01-12-2020, 08:29 PM

Slow down bud. That?s very wishful thinking at this point

Coursesuper
01-12-2020, 08:30 PM
It's 50/50 guys like Shrader and some others are here in August. People need to calm down and let's see what shakes out. When you have had guys skip workouts, do their thing, and yell at coaches suddenly have to do a 180- not everybody is able to adjust. We will absolutely have some attrition when we are going from "dont cuss the players" to "why cant you catch the mf'er???" and "why can't we f'ing block that twist???"....

Nail on head. As Willis Wright would say, "Don't let that door hit you in the ass on the way out.".

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2020, 08:39 PM

I become more fascinated everyday at what an awful hire Joe was.

We would've been hard pressed to do worse.

Just incredible to me that Cohen could make such a poor hire. Hopefully this one is as good as that one was bad.

gravedigger
01-12-2020, 08:45 PM

Hail State!

Could being the operative word.

There is no certainty of a drop off of LSU unless there is some inside info of the backup skill positions. Bama will be bama.

I think you are correct that drastic improvements in competitive games will happen. Doesn't appear we'll get blown out, but it could happen.

Our expectations of results, good or bad, are simply unfounded unless we are talking about strategy. We will look differently.

What remains to be seen is how our fanbase can stomach this style of play when the ball doesn't bounce our way.

Most of us remember 1998 when we made it to Atlanta, pretty fondly. What we have willfully forgotten is the way we lost some games that season. We were hard nosed. It hurt teams to play us. But Texas throttled us. Our defense looked out matched.

I'll give the pirate 4 seasons before I believe we have a solid picture of whether he can sustain a 4th place or better slot in the sec west.

You know your gambling stats. I wonder what the first trend we'll have that gives you the best insight.

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2020, 08:50 PM
I just want a fun year next year.

I realize that we are going to ATL but I at least hope to see us look explosive and capable.

I remember the way we played LSU in Mullen's first year or the way Ole Miss played Texas in Freeze's first year. Our team next year will be better than both of those teams, but in those games you saw flashes of what was to come. You could tell that the coaches "got it" and they'd soon start winning.

That's what I want to see next season. I want to see us take a blue blood to the wire and show that we're on our way back.

Coach34
01-12-2020, 08:58 PM
I become more fascinated everyday at what an awful hire Joe was.

We would've been hard pressed to do worse.

Just incredible to me that Cohen could make such a poor hire. Hopefully this one is as good as that one was bad.

Joe is a guy that is probably real good in his position as an OC. He doesnt have to be the disciplinarian and he also has a boss that sets parameters on what he wants out of the offense. You cant be soft in the South tho. It just doesnt work. If Shrader yells at his new QB coach or tells him "no I didnt watch film just let me do my thing" he'll be done. There is no missing workouts or ridiculous excuses accepted anymore. Hope he and others understand that

msstate7
01-12-2020, 09:02 PM
Joe is a guy that is probably real good in his position as an OC. He doesnt have to be the disciplinarian and he also has a boss that sets parameters on what he wants out of the offense. You cant be soft in the South tho. It just doesnt work. If Shrader yells at his new QB coach or tells him "no I didnt watch film just let me do my thing" he'll be done. There is no missing workouts or ridiculous excuses accepted anymore. Hope he and others understand that

If shrader really was doing that, wow, go get a transfer

Commercecomet24
01-12-2020, 09:06 PM

Agreed. Our culture had absolutely gone to hell. The inmates were running the asylum.

Getcha_a_Burner
01-12-2020, 09:29 PM
Don't forget that Saban lost to ULM en route to a 7-6 season his first year. I believe in Leach, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Cowbell
01-12-2020, 09:32 PM
If shrader really was doing that, wow, go get a transfer

And that was Jose's an. A freshman talking back. Makes even more sense why qbs were limited in the offense.

Cowbell
01-12-2020, 09:32 PM
And that guy has the audacity to run down the history of our program.

Captain Falcon
01-12-2020, 09:40 PM
Set the bar at 6 for Year 1 and anything above that is gravy. Then we have a chance to be really good in Years 2 and 3.

99jc
01-12-2020, 09:51 PM
You know your gambling stats. I wonder what the first trend we'll have that gives you the best insight.[/QUOTE]

I've already been studying Leaches teams over the past 10 years. Starting with New Mexico next fall any game that has an under of 50 should be a % winner to bet the over. It will be interesting to see the over / under Vegas sets for our 1st game.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-12-2020, 11:14 PM
If we make the right DC hire, Leach could have his best coaching success here. That?s how important it is. Can you imagine what 2018 would have been like had Leach been here?

Todd4State
01-12-2020, 11:20 PM
If we make the right DC hire, Leach could have his best coaching success here. That?s how important it is. Can you imagine what 2018 would have been like had Leach been here?

The biggest thing is we probably would have picked up Minchew. It's going to be one of the biggest "What if's" in MSU history I think.

Offshore Dawg
01-13-2020, 12:59 PM
I don't think we win more than 8 or fewer than 7-6, with the 4 probable losses being to Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU, and Auburn. We could lose to NC State and OM, but we could also win A&M.

Probably 7-5. And that's a lot better than this year's 5-7.

I thought dawgs went 6 & 7

Santiago
01-13-2020, 01:02 PM
Nail on head. As Willis Wright would say, "Don't let that door hit you in the ass on the way out.".

Willis Wright reference! nice!

Coursesuper
01-13-2020, 01:05 PM
Willis Wright reference! nice!

The best coach in the world at spiting Copenhagen in your face while yelling.