PDA

View Full Version : Question About Leach's Offense: For Xs & Os Guys

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2020, 10:48 AM
I appears as though the teams that shut down Leach's offense in the Pac 12 would go 3 down lineman with 8 guys plugging holes in the secondary.

If Leach was willing to run the ball in that look with a RB like Kylin Hill, that defense wouldn't work right?

Wouldn't Kylin Hill absolute gut a defense with 3 DL?

I wonder why Leach didn't run the ball more vs this look?

defiantdog
01-12-2020, 10:57 AM
Y'all know Kevin Sumlin ran the air raid offense at A&M..... they still ran the ball..... but it allows the qb to make something happen with his feet.

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2020, 11:01 AM
Y'all know Kevin Sumlin ran the air raid offense at A&M..... they still ran the ball..... but it allows the qb to make something happen with his feet.

Agree & Sumlin isn't the coach Leach is. Not even close

I just keep dreaming of what Leach's offense could be at MSU with RBs & OL like he's never had.

Sure... you can play 3 down lineman when Wazzou or Texas Tech have a 3 star RB & 3 star OL, but what happens when those RBs are mid 4 stars & you have 4 & 5 stars across the LOS?

To me, Leach's success at MSU when depend on his flexibility between wanting to do what he's always done or taking what the defense is clearly giving him while establishing his normal offense

defiantdog
01-12-2020, 11:04 AM
Agree & Sumlin isn't the coach Leach is. Not even close
And look what Sumlin's offense did to a mobile qb. If shrader plays his cards right..... he could be one of the best in an MSU uniform under this system.

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2020, 11:06 AM
And look what Sumlin's offense did to a mobile qb. If shrader plays his cards right..... he could be one of the best in an MSU uniform under this system.

For sure.

Everyone keeps comparing Leach & Sumlin though because they run the same offense, but they aren't close to the same level of coaches. Not even similar

msstate7
01-12-2020, 11:07 AM
For sure.

Everyone keeps comparing Leach & Sumlin though because they run the same offense, but they aren't close to the same level of coaches. Not even similar

We don't Johnny football or mike Evans though

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2020, 11:09 AM

But we could have better DL play & RBs.

And FWIW, Evans was an 84 rated 3 star out of HS & Johnny an 87 rated 3 star.

It's perfectly reasonable to believe we wind up with players like that.

dawgday166
01-12-2020, 11:11 AM

As of now, until proven wrong, I'm not too concerned with QB. He may recruit someone we're scratching our heads about but his QBs are always good, regardless of rankings. He'll find his guy somewhere in the country.

defiantdog
01-12-2020, 11:11 AM
For sure.

Sumlin never emphasized on having a strong defense..... we need to bring in a head coach of the defense.

defiantdog
01-12-2020, 11:13 AM
I think the system created Johnny Football because he's sucked ever since he got out of the air raid system.

msstate7
01-12-2020, 11:13 AM
But we could have better DL play & RBs.

And FWIW, Evans was an 84 rated 3 star out of HS & Johnny an 87 rated 3 star.

It's perfectly reasonable to believe we wind up with players like that.

You really gonna use their recruiting ranking and not their actual ranking? Those are 2 of the best players the sec has seen the last 20 years. Could we find one? Absolutely, but it isn't likely.

msstate7
01-12-2020, 11:15 AM
I think the system created Johnny Football because he's sucked ever since he got out of the air raid system.

I disagree strongly. Johnny was one of the best college qbs this league has saw. That system didn't create his elusiveness and big play ability

dawgday166
01-12-2020, 11:16 AM
You really gonna use their recruiting ranking and not their actual ranking? Those are 2 of the best players the sec has seen the last 20 years. Could we find one? Absolutely, but it isn't likely.

Like I said a little earlier ... he'll find his QBs. They always perform well in his system. And the QB may be from Cali, Maine, or wherever but he'll find him.

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2020, 11:16 AM

I'm not understanding your point here.

I'm not sure how saying Leach is a much better coach than Sumlin (which he is) led to you arguing with as to whether or not we'll get a Manziel or Evans type player.

I'm not sure how anyone can predict that. I mean we got Dak....

IDK what we're arguing here or if you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2020, 11:17 AM
I disagree strongly. Johnny was one of the best college qbs this league has saw. That system didn't create his elusiveness and big play ability

I agree. Johnny is a baller. The reason he wasn't good in the NFL was because he was an idiot with mental issues, not because of talent

I still don't know what that has to do with this thread though

dawgday166
01-12-2020, 11:17 AM
Watching AU vs WSU last night ... his defense hit AU and they were physical. They gave up big plays tho that killed them. I'm more concerned with Leach emphasizing recruiting the Dline talent in this state more than finding his QB.

msstate7
01-12-2020, 11:19 AM
I'm not understanding your point here.

I'm not sure how saying Leach is a much better coach than Sumlin (which he is) led to you arguing with as to whether or not we'll get a Manziel or Evans type player.

I'm not sure how anyone can predict that. I mean we got Dak....

IDK what we're arguing here or if you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

What I'm saying is great players are better to have than great coaching. If we can face Bama this year with sumlin, Johnny, and Mike Evans or our cast and leach, I choose sumlin. Now granted, you screwed if sumlin can't replace them with more great players.

dawgday166
01-12-2020, 11:21 AM
What I'm saying is great players are better to have than great coaching. If we can face Bama this year with sumlin, Johnny, and Mike Evans or our cast and leach, I choose sumlin. Now granted, you screwed if sumlin can't replace them with more great players.

Well duh?? You awake yet this morning. You better get another cup of coffee in you **

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2020, 11:21 AM
Watching AU vs WSU last night ... his defense hit AU and they were physical. They gave up big plays tho that killed them. I'm more concerned with Leach emphasizing recruiting the Dline talent in this state more than finding his QB.

I agree.

However, I don't think people realize how little defensive line talent Leach has had recruiting access too. West Texas is only 6% African American & Pullman Washington is only 2.7% African American

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2020, 11:23 AM

I agree with that, but since it's hard to predict when you'll land an Manziel, Evans, or Dak, I'll take the better coach & hope he lands some DUDES

dawgday166
I agree.

However, I don't think people realize how little defensive line talent Leach has had recruiting access too. West Texas is only 6% African American & Pullman Washington is only 2.7% African American

Naw ... I realize that. That's why I was so impressed with their physicality and tackling in space too. That #20 LB layed one of the best licks I've seen in CFB on AU's RB. Leveled him backwards when he had forward momentum. Picture perfect form tackle that was.

Coursesuper
Hill should love this offense it's going to put the ball in his hands more than any other player in the offense. Now it's up to him to prove he has the mental toughness required to get it done for this staff.

msstate7
01-12-2020, 11:26 AM
If sumlin was running a leach like offense with manziel, perhaps shrader could be our version of him. Shrader does have a lot of elusiveness himself.

dawgday166
01-12-2020, 11:31 AM
If sumlin was running a leach like offense with manziel, perhaps shrader could be our version of him. Shrader does have a lot of elusiveness himself.

So you're wanting to put a big scare at a minimum into Bama this year? If so, not seeing us do too well against them. They were young on D this year and will be much better next year.

msstate7
01-12-2020, 11:36 AM
So you're wanting to put a big scare at a minimum into Bama this year? If so, not seeing us do too well against them. They were young on D this year and will be much better next year.

We ain't beating them. Just beat OOC, mizzou, Kentucky, ark, and om, and I'll be thrilled

dawgday166
01-12-2020, 11:40 AM
We ain't beating them. Just beat OOC, mizzou, Kentucky, ark, and om, and I'll be thrilled

Ky will be tough in Lexington I'm thinking. The others may be doable. Remember Leach still has to get the culture hardened back up too.

BuckyIsAB****
01-12-2020, 11:58 AM
I appears as though the teams that shut down Leach's offense in the Pac 12 would go 3 down lineman with 8 guys plugging holes in the secondary.

If Leach was willing to run the ball in that look with a RB like Kylin Hill, that defense wouldn't work right?

I wonder why Leach didn't run the ball more vs this look?

Leach aint gonna call many run plays. The QB will check inside or outside zone, sometimes wrap at the LOS.

You are going to get some run boxes in this offense so yes Hill and our RBs should be excited. It will be the easiest run looks we've had in our programs history with the exception of maybe 2015

DLGDawg
01-12-2020, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;1220382]I appears as though the teams that shut down Leach's offense in the Pac 12 would go 3 down lineman with 8 guys plugging holes in the secondary.

I wonder why Leach didn't run the ball more vs this look?[/

Could this air raid offense not be morphed with the spread/read option??
If nothing else, more designed QB runs? Seems to me that with this offense and our players being spread out, that would create running lanes that would make the dual threat QB's eyes light up.

BuckyIsAB****
01-12-2020, 12:40 PM
[QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;1220382]I appears as though the teams that shut down Leach's offense in the Pac 12 would go 3 down lineman with 8 guys plugging holes in the secondary.

If nothing else, more designed QB runs? Seems to me that with this offense and our players being spread out, that would create running lanes that would make the dual threat QB's eyes light up.

He has had QBs pull it before. Some of yall act like we are just going to forget we can run the ball. Minshew ran for quite a few TDs and so did Graham Harrell

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2020, 01:14 PM

I'm sure it can be, but I don't know if it will

Todd4State
01-12-2020, 01:41 PM
We should be able to run slow screens against that look and probably have quite a bit of success.

DLGDawg
01-12-2020, 01:46 PM
[QUOTE=DLGDawg;1220432]

He has had QBs pull it before. Some of yall act like we are just going to forget we can run the ball. Minshew ran for quite a few TDs and so did Graham Harrell

I don't think we'll forget we can run the ball. I was more" thinking out loud " about what this offense "could be".

Lord McBuckethead
01-12-2020, 02:32 PM
Sumlin never emphasized on having a strong defense..... we need to bring in a head coach of the defense.

Exactly. Head Coach of the Defense. Let the defensive coach take his job as seriously as Leach does his offense. Let him hire his own staff. Give him 100% control.