PDA

View Full Version : We hired a highly respected and touted Howland

Thick
01-11-2020, 10:29 PM
and he cannot win in this average at best basketball conference!! Why is Perry the secondary option bringing the ball up the court...WTF?? We?ll be lucky to make the NIT with this talent. It?s absolutely unacceptable for us to be this freaking horrible at this point in Howland?s time here. We looked like a JV squad trying to break LSU?s press.....Chinese fire drill for God?s sake!

PGHBulldogBG
01-11-2020, 10:30 PM
We had our coach ready to come by we hired Ray instead of Kermit

Leeshouldveflanked
01-11-2020, 10:34 PM

Ole Miss would probably give us Kermit right now.

MarketingBully
01-11-2020, 10:34 PM
and he cannot win in this average at best basketball conference!! Why is Perry the secondary option bringing the ball up the court...WTF?? We?ll be lucky to make the NIT with this talent. It?s absolutely unacceptable for us to be this freaking horrible at this point in Howland?s time here. We looked like a JV squad trying to break LSU?s press.....Chinese fire drill for God?s sake!

Actually, he was considered washed up when we hired him. A lot of people said he was washed up when UCLA fired him. Let’s not forget many many many schools passed on the man when he clearly wanted to get back in. He’s done his job and got us out of basketball hell from the Ray years. He needs to retire and let a young and hungry coach take over.

MarketingBully
01-11-2020, 10:36 PM

Big difference between rosters. There’s more 4* talent in our starting five then Ole Miss has on its entire roster.

msugolf
01-11-2020, 10:37 PM

We aren't making the NIT. We'll be lucky to get to 6 or 7 wins in conference play. It took a horrendous shooting night from LSU for us to be in the game. We haven't broken 70 in SEC play and that trend will continue. We have absolutely no offensive system and zero players who can take over games on their own. If you don't have a offensive scheme then you better have the latter. I think Howland survives this year just because basketball is such a low priority to the athletic department now. But his talent will be even more sketchy next year cause I think Perry still goes pro regardless of how his season goes and next year will be the true tank job putting us right back to where we were when Ben took over.

PGHBulldogBG
01-11-2020, 10:39 PM

Their talent is no where near ours. Kermit would feast off and probably be 2-1 or 3-0 but we hired the man that had Russell Westbrook and couldn’t win a title with him. Just like when we hired that man that had Barkley instead of
Neal Brown who has nothing and went to Baton Rouge and won in tiger stadium at night

MoreCowbell
01-11-2020, 10:40 PM
Awesome recruiter/salesman. really below average coach though. that is putting it nice. horrible motivator.

MarketingBully
01-11-2020, 10:42 PM
We aren't making the NIT. We'll be lucky to get to 6 or 7 wins in conference play. It took a horrendous shooting night from LSU for us to be in the game. We haven't broken 70 in SEC play and that trend will continue. We have absolutely no offensive system and zero players who can take over games on their own. If you don't have a offensive scheme then you better have the latter. I think Howland survives this year just because basketball is such a low priority to the athletic department now. But his talent will be even more sketchy next year cause I think Perry still goes pro regardless of how his season goes and next year will be the true tank job putting us right back to where we were when Ben took over.

Howland has an offensive system because I’ve seen it every year but this one. They just aren’t running it because we don’t have a ****ing true point guard. Peters actually ran point last year and Q was our guy down the stretch. Howland recruiting both Butts and Molinar and just saying to himself we don’t need a true pass first point guard is killing us right now. We are literally forcing Perry to be one of our main ball handlers. It’s actually quite comical that Howland didn’t recruit a ****ing point guard. Our team sucks ass this year because of it. I wonder what went through the old fart’s mind when he was doing that? So let’s fill the roster with combo guards and who cares who runs our offense. Yeah that’s the ticket...

dawgday166
01-11-2020, 10:44 PM
Howland got us back this far but every time in MSU mens sports when we have the dudes to do something special and the stars are aligning with the conference being down ... we don't seize that moment. 2018 football and now this year's men's hoops team.

trob115
01-11-2020, 10:46 PM
Howland's got to go.

Pennywise
01-11-2020, 10:46 PM

Why? Why Ray instead of Kermit?

MarketingBully
01-11-2020, 10:58 PM
Why? Why Ray instead of Kermit?

The answer to that question resides in Gator Country...

MetEdDawg
01-11-2020, 10:59 PM
Offensively we are awful. We play pretty solid defense, but you aren't going to win any games on the road in conference scoring less than 60.

We've played 3 games in conference and we've scored 68, 69, and 59 points. Howland is behind the times offensively. The game has changed since his prime. Good defense by itself could win you ball games. But there's too much scoring now to do it that way. Have to be able to score points. And he can't do that period.

He elevated our basketball program out of the Rick Ray disaster. Time to move on from Howland and get us someone who can move us forward offensively. We've got entirely too much talent to not be able to score 70 points in half our games this year. 8 games under 70 points in the 15 total games. That's really bad.

maroonmania
01-11-2020, 11:05 PM
Just got back home and checked the score to see we lost but at least hung in there. At this point I am just totally divested emotionally from the men's basketball team to where I really don't care one way or the other. Bad part is this was supposed to be the year with Perry, Woodard, Weatherspoon and Carter a senior but I don't see this team making any postseason. Pretty obvious we have no way to answer the hole that Q left on the offensive end. And it will likely get worse next year as Perry almost assuredly goes pro. Sort of wish Howland would just retire at this point. He recruits pretty well but most of his high rated recruits he's gotten are legacies. He still got them but there aren't any more of those out there right now that I know of.

Commercecomet24
01-11-2020, 11:07 PM
It's sad when you can't even get the ball up the court against a token press. 5 straight times we couldnt get the ball into the front court in the last 5 minutes. Sad

Cooterpoot
01-11-2020, 11:09 PM
Howland was washed up when he got here. I've been saying it for 2 years.

KOdawg1
01-11-2020, 11:13 PM
I thank him for pulling us out of the dumpster Rick Ray put us in, but it's time to move on. Hopefully, he retires and it's a clean, mutual split

gtowndawg
01-11-2020, 11:15 PM
I know we are on the Mike Leach high, but I'm ready to move on from Howland. He clearly doesn't have it anymore. Time to move on while there's still a few hundred of us left that actually care about men's basketball.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-11-2020, 11:26 PM
Hire Steve Forbes!!

Thick
01-12-2020, 12:04 AM
I guess we need to call Adidas so they can tell Cohen their best candidates for us to hire. Also, can someone explain to me WHY and HOW Will Wade is still allowed on ANY college court??? This mfer was on tape complaining that the money needed was right for the family and the recruit. LSU is not a blue blood in b-ball. What gives???

OLJWales
01-12-2020, 12:29 AM
Did we have a game tonight?

msbulldog
01-12-2020, 07:17 AM
I guess we need to call Adidas so they can tell Cohen their best candidates for us to hire. Also, can someone explain to me WHY and HOW Will Wade is still allowed on ANY college court??? This mfer was on tape complaining that the money needed was right for the family and the recruit. LSU is not a blue blood in b-ball. What gives???

LSU's AD's father-in-law is Mark Emmert, President of the NCAA. Supposedly LSU is under investigation.

defiantdog
01-12-2020, 10:34 AM
Howland under utilizes talent. He had Russell freakin Westbrook at UCLA and used him as a back up his freshmen year (when he was clearly better than the upper class man ahead of him). The best defending point guard in the NBA as a back up..... and yes, he was that good at UCLA too.

We have a talented team..... we should be scoring more and our defense should be tighter.