PDA

View Full Version : Can Leach make Air Raid work at MSU? The "recruiting footprint"

dawgday166
01-11-2020, 10:33 AM
Folks say it doesn't fit his recruiting footprint. Mullen and his staff had about a 300 mile radius footprint as will most any coaching staff most likely.

Leach's footprint is nationwide. I'm not talking 4 and 5* recruits either. I'm talking he searches the country for his type of player.

I used to say if Hev would take his ass to the midwest and find some of those 6-6 240 to 270 lb corn fed dudes that Iowa gets and build them up to NFL linemen (like Iowa does) we'd have good Olines every year. Leach will do that. At QB see Gardner Minshew or Will Rogers. He'll do the same with WRs too.

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2020, 10:37 AM
Leach can go to Dallas and Houston with massive credibility and contacts. Crabtree is from Dallas and Amandoula is from Houston.

Lubbock is couple of hours closer to Dallas than MSU and MSU is closer to Houston.

Expand the WR and QB recruiting to TX along with continuing to get what we've always gotten in MS and this could be a perfect storm

Dawg2003
01-11-2020, 10:50 AM
The reality is that we have to come out of the dark ages and learn to pass the ball. The SEC is becoming less of a defensive league than it has been in the past. If Ole Miss can figure it out, there's no reason we can't.

DogsofAnarchy
01-11-2020, 11:17 AM
It absolutely fits our recruiting footprint. And yes it will work at MSU. It works everywhere Coach Leach installs it. Will it translate into beating the Power House programs every year? No. Nobody is going to do that. Will it make us more competitive? Absolutely!! We weren’t even competitive with better teams this year.

IMissJack
01-11-2020, 11:33 AM
I have no worries about Leach on the offensive side. His problem at TT and other places is the D side. Sometimes the D ends up on the field an awful lot because his offense stops the clock a lot, and the D gets very tired. We have generally had our best talent on defense, hope we continue to pull those good D players. That is why a name D coordinator is so important.

Todd4State
01-11-2020, 12:51 PM
The reality is that we have to come out of the dark ages and learn to pass the ball. The SEC is becoming less of a defensive league than it has been in the past. If Ole Miss can figure it out, there's no reason we can't.
Ole Miss? If East Mississippi Community College can figure it out.

USM typically throws the ball decently as well.

Our main issue has been recruiting and identification. When two Sun Belt teams have receivers who we missed on better than our starters and we have a senior who was signed in May his freshman year along with three JUCO receivers it really highlights what the problem has been.

Todd4State
01-11-2020, 12:53 PM
Also Leach is known for making his system work with receivers and QB's that aren't five star recruits. Croom and Moorhead aren't.

Lord McBuckethead
01-11-2020, 01:21 PM
I say find out who the baddest WR unsigned in the country is and make Leech move in next door feom now until Feb.

MedDawg
01-11-2020, 01:33 PM
Also Leach is known for making his system work with receivers and QB's that aren't five star recruits. Croom and Moorhead aren't.

Yep. It's very possible that Leach could have been successful with the WRs we had in 2018 and 2019 because he teaches and utilizes them better.

coachnorm
01-11-2020, 03:32 PM
https://www.facebook.com/973TheFan/videos/keyshawn-smiths-catch-on-you-got-mossed/618506261929476/

Check out the "You Got Mossed" from ESPN. The segment with the high school receiver, the green team, shows Keyshawn Smith from Lincoln High School in San Diego, California. I posted this hi-lite on elitedawgs 13 months ago and asked Keyshawn if he would go to Mississippi State if they offered. Keyshawn said he would go in a heart beat. FYI, Mike Leach got him to Washington State. The difference between Pullman Washington from San Diego is ONLY 500 miles different than Starkville?