PDA

View Full Version : Coach Speak On Leach

Ari Gold
01-11-2020, 08:09 AM
Sent to me . Via Direct text from an active P5 HC

I lost the most sleep the week before we played his team than any other team we faced no matter how good or bad we were or his team was
Unpredictable, very hard to game plan for, and unorthodox ..
Will throw a zillion times and keeps coming at you
He is a winner and will have more athletes at his disposal in Starkville.
I will have a more Restful week before that game now that he is gone .

3rdGen
01-11-2020, 08:24 AM
Great to hear. I definitely hope this can put us back to being competitive in games and not throwing in the towel after the first quarter if things don’t go well. And I realize once a coach sees some film on his scheme here, he will still be unpredictable enough to keep the ball moving. Thanks Ari!

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-11-2020, 08:36 AM
That's what I want. We make a big deal about wins and loses and rightfully so, but we as fans ignore what really matters: entertainment. That's what sports are about.

9-3 is generally more entertaining than 8-4 because winning is fun. But theres no doubt crazy offenses, crazy coaches, unorthodox methods, etc are a big part of having fun too.

And knowing everyone hates to play us and we put fears into the hearts of opposing fans and coaches adds to the fun, win or lose.

Bdawg
01-11-2020, 08:51 AM
I just really hope we hire a great DC. We always have good defensive talent in the south and want him to have a great defense to get him the ball back to his offense as much as possible.

BrunswickDawg
01-11-2020, 08:59 AM
That's what I want. We make a big deal about wins and loses and rightfully so, but we as fans ignore what really matters: entertainment. That's what sports are about.

9-3 is generally more entertaining than 8-4 because winning is fun. But theres no doubt crazy offenses, crazy coaches, unorthodox methods, etc are a big part of having fun too.

And knowing everyone hates to play us and we put fears into the hearts of opposing fans and coaches adds to the fun, win or lose.

You know what though - I'll take an 8-4 all day with 8 wins and 4 exciting, well played losses. That was one of those things about most of the JWS era - in most seasons, you felt you could compete. You felt if you were down less than 21 going into the 4th you still had a chance. If you were down 14 or less you KNEW you had a chance. I haven't felt that way about MSU football in 20 years.

And I don't say "I'll take 8-4" like I'm satisfied with it and don't want to do better. But as a fan I would know we gave everything we had. And that makes a huge difference.

Ari Gold
01-11-2020, 09:13 AM
You know what though - I'll take an 8-4 all day with 8 wins and 4 exciting, well played losses. That was one of those things about most of the JWS era - in most seasons, you felt you could compete. You felt if you were down less than 21 going into the 4th you still had a chance. If you were down 14 or less you KNEW you had a chance. I haven't felt that way about MSU football in 20 years.

And I don't say "I'll take 8-4" like I'm satisfied with it and don't want to do better. But as a fan I would know we gave everything we had. And that makes a huge difference.

ML 9 years at Texas Tech ... 7 times won 8 games or more ( never a losing season )
The 9 years before .. 1 time with 8 wins or more
The 9 years after .. 3 times with 8 wins ( 2 of those years were the first 3 after Leach was gone )

ML 8 years at Wash state. .. 4 times 8 wins or more
Last time Wash St won 8 or more games before ML was 2003..

Bottom line. He is a winner..

Cowbell
01-11-2020, 09:32 AM
Thanks for sharing ARI. Solid Ari Gold

Cowbell
01-11-2020, 09:34 AM
A Texas A&M buddy texted me when he heard the news and told me he hated leach from the tech days. Said he owned the aggies the entire time he was there and was one of the worst memories of his college life. Hopefully that continues.

Gutter Cobreh
01-11-2020, 09:46 AM

This, this, this....all of what the_real_MSU has posted!!!! I don't care whether we win 8 or 9 games. I want to be competitive and enjoy watching us play football. The last two years were not fun to watch. I saw WSU fans say they saw their team lose after scoring 50 points, but can you imagine how exciting and entertaining that was? I'd take that kind of game everyday and twice on Sunday, over a replay of our Auburn game this year. Both ended in losses, so at the least I'm excited that we'll be playing an exciting form of football

Rex54
01-11-2020, 09:48 AM
2010 was a fun fun year going 8-4
2012 was a shitty boring 8-4

R2Dawg
01-11-2020, 10:19 AM
A Texas A&M buddy texted me when he heard the news and told me he hated leach from the tech days. Said he owned the aggies the entire time he was there and was one of the worst memories of his college life. Hopefully that continues.

Had several friends in AL text me similar things. They know the SEC just got a lot harder.

R2Dawg
01-11-2020, 10:20 AM

So true, it all about wins a losses. I want to see us compete in every game even if we only win 7-8. I do want to see us keep a nasty D. That is a historical given at MSU.

Spiderman
01-11-2020, 10:22 AM

Yep

BrunswickDawg
01-11-2020, 10:30 AM
ML 9 years at Texas Tech ... 7 times won 8 games or more ( never a losing season )
The 9 years before .. 1 time with 8 wins or more
The 9 years after .. 3 times with 8 wins ( 2 of those years were the first 3 after Leach was gone )

ML 8 years at Wash state. .. 4 times 8 wins or more
Last time Wash St won 8 or more games before ML was 2003..

Bottom line. He is a winner..

He is no doubt a winner.

I didn't want to seem like I was saying Leach could only get to 8-4 and can't be better. I feel like we will have that gunslinger type mentality. Down 21? We can score and make that up. If we got down 14 under Dan, we were done. If we got down at all under Joe, I felt like we were done.

Ari Gold
01-11-2020, 10:47 AM
He is no doubt a winner.

I didn't want to seem like I was saying Leach could only get to 8-4 and can't be better. I feel like we will have that gunslinger type mentality. Down 21? We can score and make that up. If we got down 14 under Dan, we were done. If we got down at all under Joe, I felt like we were done.

Yes .

dawgday166
01-11-2020, 10:53 AM
He is no doubt a winner.

Yep .. spot on.

msstate7
01-11-2020, 10:55 AM
He is no doubt a winner.

I agree with this. I do think though that if Dan got up 14, it was almost a certain win. Up 14 with leach, may not be so certain with the air raid. I love the hire though

Santiago
01-11-2020, 10:57 AM
In regard to Aggies - they do not like Leach .....here are a few quotes why. Maybe its been shared already but the one about the pretend soldiers, and him starting a pirate school is great (taken from articles so the items below are not mine):

On Tech fans and Aggie fans (this one seems particularly poignant given all the griping I've heard recently by Texas fans):
"A&M wants to rip on our fans and all that. Our fans are as good as their fans are. One thing our fans don't do is sit around and whine about other teams' fans. A&M spent a significant part of the week whining about what our fans are like."

More on the same:
"It's interesting to me that all these Aggies?whether they're at A&M or here?are sitting around with halos over their heads and they have some divine expertise on fanmanship. I just don't believe that's the case. For the record, I think our fans are better than the Aggie fans."

On the Aggie Corps of Cadets:
"How come they get to pretend they are soldiers? The thing is, they aren't actually in the military. I ought to have Mike's Pirate School. The freshmen, all they get is the bandanna. When you're a senior, you get the sword and skull and crossbones. For homework, we'll work pirate maneuvers and stuff like that."

Cowbell
01-11-2020, 11:04 AM
In regard to Aggies - they do not like Leach .....here are a few quotes why. Maybe its been shared already but the one about the pretend soldiers, and him starting a pirate school is great (taken from articles so the items below are not mine):

On Tech fans and Aggie fans (this one seems particularly poignant given all the griping I've heard recently by Texas fans):
"A&M wants to rip on our fans and all that. Our fans are as good as their fans are. One thing our fans don't do is sit around and whine about other teams' fans. A&M spent a significant part of the week whining about what our fans are like."

More on the same:
"It's interesting to me that all these Aggies?whether they're at A&M or here?are sitting around with halos over their heads and they have some divine expertise on fanmanship. I just don't believe that's the case. For the record, I think our fans are better than the Aggie fans."

On the Aggie Corps of Cadets:
"How come they get to pretend they are soldiers? The thing is, they aren't actually in the military. I ought to have Mike's Pirate School. The freshmen, all they get is the bandanna. When you're a senior, you get the sword and skull and crossbones. For homework, we'll work pirate maneuvers and stuff like that."
That last one I was about to send to some Aggie buddies But then realize that I have to do business with them. It is awesome.

99jc
01-11-2020, 11:14 AM
He is no doubt a winner.

I felt like we were done before the game started with Moorhead.

Santiago
01-11-2020, 11:14 AM
That last one I was about to send to some Aggie buddies But then realize that I have to do business with them. It is awesome.

I am in Tennessee this weekend, and Friday night walking out of a restaurant, wearing my MSU pullover a guy says "Mike Leach". I said hi, etc and then immediately he says "don't let him lock a kid in a closet".
I smiled and asked " You must be an Aggie?" and he said "yeah how did you know??" lol.
I said because only an Aggie or Craig James would tell that version of the story. And then he tried to laugh it off.
Edit: the SEC has MSU on their radar, as does the college football world. Ready to see what Leach does with top 25 talent

BulldogDX55
01-11-2020, 11:19 AM

WE BELIEVE

BuckyIsAB****
01-11-2020, 03:46 PM
Sent to me . Via Direct text from an active P5 HC

I lost the most sleep the week before we played his team than any other team we faced no matter how good or bad we were or his team was
Unpredictable, very hard to game plan for, and unorthodox ..
Will throw a zillion times and keeps coming at you
He is a winner and will have more athletes at his disposal in Starkville.
I will have a more Restful week before that game now that he is gone .

Im all for Leach but Washingtons DC said he was easy to prepare for every year and he hoped he stayed at WSU forever. That could be just shit talk in a rivalry but it is what it is. Leach only beat them once but if you have ever been to Pullman or Seattle you could easily tell which one is going to get the better players

Todd4State
01-11-2020, 04:26 PM

There is a BIG difference. We won 8 games a few times under Dan and once under Joe but really only 2010 and 2014 stand out to me aside from a couple of random games like the 2013 Egg Bowl.

I have a different take on the JWS era. A "typical JWS year" was like 1996. We would lose to La Tech, get blown out by a SEC blueblood and literally look like we didn't practice at all that week...but yet in the same season beat Alabama and win the Egg Bowl. And it was frustrating in a way because you knew based on the results that we were better than what we actually showed and it was quantified by the upsets. Other than 1999 JWS usually had a hard time coming back if we got down because we didn't throw the ball well at all. People usually put 9 in the box and tried to make us win with whoever our athlete playing QB was at the time.

He is no doubt a winner.

Of course that usually happened against Alabama or some other ranked team and Dan would just go super conservative more often than not.

Im all for Leach but Washingtons DC said he was easy to prepare for every year and he hoped he stayed at WSU forever. That could be just shit talk in a rivalry but it is what it is. Leach only beat them once but if you have ever been to Pullman or Seattle you could easily tell which one is going to get the better players

Yeah. I actually did an internship in Washington state for school. Washington a blue blood in the PAC 12 and have tons of money and prestige. I'd compare them to Tennessee or Georgia relative to the SEC. Washington is pretty much divided by the Cascade Mountains and the west side is of course where all the population and UDub is. Not only is Wazzu on the side with less population. They're in a mountain range in the middle of a desert with no major interstate to get there. To make matters worse they are only like 30 minutes from the University of Idaho which I would imagine takes away from their student population and makes a small dent in their local fanbase. Basically Wazzu is located in the worst possible location it could be in for a P5 university. Difficult to get to with lots of local and state competition. Washington should be a top 25 team every year with their talent base and resources. Seattle has a good bit of local football talent. I'm not sure why they dropped off the map during the Tyrone Willingham era but it shouldn't have happened. Washington is or should be comparable to what Oregon is right now in football.

Coursesuper
01-11-2020, 04:28 PM

There isn't a greater contrast between settings of state universities than those. I do love some Seattle though, today sould be a great day to brewery hop in the Ballard area.