PDA

View Full Version : Leach's system fit

MetEdDawg
01-11-2020, 07:39 AM
Question for the board. If Leach's system clearly begins to not work or shows signs of having difficulties working early on, will we be calling for him to change his offense to fit what he has on the roster?

I'm not convinced this offense will work with the recruiting we do, but if it struggles I would be interested to know if people will hold him accountable for changing and modifying what he does to fit the roster like Moorhead was.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-11-2020, 07:52 AM
Should he adapt? Yes. Will he adapt? Probably not, he doesnt even change his playcalling vs a UW team that alwats shuts him down so I doubt he'll change the offense that much to suit our personnel. Maybe use a Hback/TE and go with more 2 back sets than normal. The RBs Moorhead brought in are perfect for this system.

Bit I know there will be growing pains and I'm fine with it we wont have a good team next year anyway so we aren't really losing anything if he goes 5-7 instead of 7-5, but I predict we go 6-6 next year

Captain Falcon
01-11-2020, 08:16 AM
I think we should just go ahead and prepare to be frustrated at times next year. There will be definite growing pains. Leach knows who he is and is going to stick to that system. We are now a pass first team and always will be as long as he is here.

That doesn?t mean he will totally abandon the run. Just that we will now pass to set up the run instead of vice versa. It is going to be a shift to something we have never done before. I?m not totally convinced that our personnel is a terrible fit anyway. A bad offensive system will make anybody look bad, and Moorhead?s offense wasn?t doing any of these guys any favors. Think back to Croom’s last team compared to Mullen’s first team. Basically the same guys, but Mullen got way more out of them offensively.

It will largely fall on whoever is playing QB for us, which right now I am assuming will be Shrader. If he can be accurate with the quick and easy throws and hit the occasional long pass then we will be fine.

I am fine with trying a different identity if you are truly committed to it, which Leach for sure is with the air raid. Moorhead never could decide what he wanted to offensively, which is a big reason why he is no longer here.

R2Dawg
01-11-2020, 10:30 AM
Agree, this was/is my biggest concern. He can still run his system but I think he needs to figure out ways to get our RB the ball in space. MS high school football is built on the power spread not the west coast O. I still think we can adapt and run his O but we have to utilize the athletes we have in the state.

MetEdDawg
01-11-2020, 10:37 AM
I guess the reason I ask is that Moorhead got freaking hammered because he didn't adapt. I wonder if our fan base is going to give Mike Leach the same treatment. People "knew" Moorhead was the wrong fit by Kentucky. Question is if some of the same issues arise in offensive style, will some in the fan base call for Leach to go then?

I'll just be interested to see how much patience our fan base has with Leach. Moorhead got virtually none. Leach's offense is significantly more out of the realm of comfort for our personnel. So my question is what's the time frame our fan base is willing to give Leach before we get concerned?

msstate7
01-11-2020, 10:41 AM
Poor, poor Moorhead

Maybe if Moorhead had a track record of success at 2 different P5 schools, we would've given him more slack

ETA... also, there were discipline issues to go with underperforming. Moorhead was fired bc he earned it.

MetEdDawg
01-11-2020, 10:44 AM
Poor, poor Moorhead

Incorrect. Not shocked you went there though. But I'm more interested in the amount of time our fans give Leach. This isn't about Moorhead. This is about how much time our fan base is willing to be patient with a Leach to do what he needs to do.

Lord McBuckethead
01-11-2020, 01:39 PM
As long as we can see competitive improvement, I will give him 3 recruiting cycles. That doesn't mean if he has a down year, we throw him to the wolves. The issue we had with Mullen and then Moorhead, was that they never shown us that they were addressing the simple issues. Moorhead just didn't come in every week with a prepared team. That could bot be overlooked. 0-5 in bye weeks with a team that looked like a train wreck would get anyone fired.

Poorly prepared teams exasperated Moorhead's issues.

Coach34
01-11-2020, 01:51 PM
Moorhead inherited a team expected to compete for the West title after going 9-4 and returning 17 starters.

Leach is inheriting a rebuild after a losing season. Huge difference

Really Clark?
01-11-2020, 01:59 PM
Agree, this was/is my biggest concern. He can still run his system but I think he needs to figure out ways to get our RB the ball in space. MS high school football is built on the power spread not the west coast O. I still think we can adapt and run his O but we have to utilize the athletes we have in the state.

Figure out how to get RB’s the ball in space? That’s literally what he has done his whole career

Todd4State
01-11-2020, 02:23 PM
Poor, poor Moorhead

Maybe if Moorhead had a track record of success at 2 different P5 schools, we would've given him more slack

ETA... also, there were discipline issues to go with underperforming. Moorhead was fired bc he earned it.

Actually if Moorhead had a track record of success as a head coach at two other schools he likely would have been given more slack.

BB30
01-11-2020, 03:22 PM
I guess the reason I ask is that Moorhead got freaking hammered because he didn't adapt. I wonder if our fan base is going to give Mike Leach the same treatment. People "knew" Moorhead was the wrong fit by Kentucky. Question is if some of the same issues arise in offensive style, will some in the fan base call for Leach to go then?

I'll just be interested to see how much patience our fan base has with Leach. Moorhead got virtually none. Leach's offense is significantly more out of the realm of comfort for our personnel. So my question is what's the time frame our fan base is willing to give Leach before we get concerned?

I doubt it’s very much. We had fans bitching about lemonis not winning the cws and acting like we were the most talented team there.

There will without a doubt be some bitching next year at the first sign of struggles. But bitching and calling for a coaches head are two different things.

CadaverDawg
01-11-2020, 03:32 PM
Question for the board. If Leach's system clearly begins to not work or shows signs of having difficulties working early on, will we be calling for him to change his offense to fit what he has on the roster?

I'm not convinced this offense will work with the recruiting we do, but if it struggles I would be interested to know if people will hold him accountable for changing and modifying what he does to fit the roster like Moorhead was.

Apples and oranges, but you know this.