PDA

View Full Version : Rumor Mill Friday: 3 things I am hearing today...

DeviousDawg
01-10-2020, 05:51 PM
These may not be true, but this is atleast what I am hearing from trusted sources.

Charlie Strong is a legitimate candidate for DC and is interested. Would be a huge hire by all accounts.

Don?t be surprised if you see Felipe Franks take a visit to Mississippi State soon, not sure how I feel about it but I?m hearing Franks at MSU in 2020 is a real possibility.

KT will be playing for MSU next year, at Wide Receiver...

Like I said, none of these rumors are 100% for sure, but they are all legitimate possibilities, so take it for what it?s worth.

Happy Maroon Friday, it?s a new age for Mississippi State Football.

msstate7
01-10-2020, 05:53 PM
If we're interested in a QB transfer, I'd call KJ Costello up too.

TNDawg35
01-10-2020, 05:55 PM
Is this one of those Social Media companies saying this to gauge fan interest****

BeardoMSU
01-10-2020, 05:55 PM
How would Strong compare with Shoop or Grantham? Also, how is his recruiting?

DeviousDawg
01-10-2020, 05:58 PM
If we're interested in a QB transfer, I'd call KJ Costello up too.

I would expect he gets a call too, but I am hearing real smoke around Franks, competition can only make us stronger.

What I really wanna see is a couple of grad transfer WR and/or underclassman WR transfers(sit a year).

Also I would be very surprised if we do not see a little roster turnover, primarily on the offensive side. Either way, Leach will make for with what he has, its what he does.

DeviousDawg
01-10-2020, 05:59 PM

I think all 3 are great DC’s, Strong may be the best recruiter. I think he would be a great compliment to Leach.

BeardoMSU
01-10-2020, 05:59 PM
I would expect he gets a call too, but I am hearing real smoke around Franks, competition can only make us stronger.

What I really wanna see is a couple of grad transfer WR and/or underclassman WR transfers(sit a year).

Also I would be very surprised if we do not see a little roster turnover, primarily on the offensive side. Either way, Leach will make for with what he has, its what he does.

Franks have 1 year to play?

BuckyIsAB****
01-10-2020, 06:00 PM
Im not sure how to feel about Strong and Im def out on Franks. He is not an Air Raid QB

ILOATHEBears
01-10-2020, 06:02 PM
These may not be true, but this is atleast what I am hearing from trusted sources.

Charlie Strong is a legitimate candidate for DC and is interested. Would be a huge hire by all accounts.

Don?t be surprised if you see Felipe Franks take a visit to Mississippi State soon, not sure how I feel about it but I?m hearing Franks at MSU in 2020 is a real possibility.

Like I said, none of these rumors are 100% for sure, but they are all legitimate possibilities, so take it for what it?s worth.

Dan told Leach about franks. Yes there is real interest on both sides

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 06:03 PM
I don't see Franks as an upgrade over what Leach can do with Shrader or one of the guys already here

BuckyIsAB****
01-10-2020, 06:04 PM
I don't see Franks as an upgrade over what Leach can do with Shrader or one of the guys already here

He's not.

Dawgology
01-10-2020, 06:04 PM
Im not sure how to feel about Strong and Im def out on Franks. He is not an Air Raid QB

No offense but if Dan Mullen recommends Franks should tutor under Leach and Leach sees potential I will go with what they think. That's two legit QB gurus.

Quaoarsking
01-10-2020, 06:06 PM
Does KT have a history playing WR, or is he just looking at the depth chart and the scheme and thinking he can be a star?

DeviousDawg
01-10-2020, 06:09 PM

Yeah, not sure if I am for it, but who knows, maybe its a perfect translation and he is the next Minshew. You really just never know, but if Mullen thinks it is a good fit, and Leach thinks it is a good fit, then I will trust them on that. Worse thing that could happen is he is not any better than what we have and becomes one of the best and most experienced back up QBs in the country. I don’t think any promises will be made, Franks can’t help but look at our QB board and our new air raid coach and wanna give it a shot.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 06:09 PM
You in the meeting typing as he speaks?

HoopsDawg
01-10-2020, 06:10 PM
Not sure on Franks but we don't have a backup QB right now unless we count the true freshman.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 06:11 PM
Yeah, not sure if I am for it, but who knows, maybe its a perfect translation and he is the next Minshew. You really just never know, but if Mullen thinks it is a good fit, and Leach thinks it is a good fit, then I will trust them on that. Worse thing that could happen is he is not any better than what we have and becomes one of the best and most experienced back up QBs in the country. I don’t think any promises will be made, Franks can’t help but look at our QB board and our new air raid coach and wanna give it a shot.

I certainly think that every transfer QB is going to be knocking down the door to come play for Leach. That's for damn sure so we'll probably hear a bunch of these rumors

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 06:12 PM
Not sure on Franks but we don't have a backup QB right now unless we count the true freshman.

Mayden?

starkvegasdawg
01-10-2020, 06:12 PM
I don't believe a word of this until Bert comes in and posts the opposite.

DeviousDawg
01-10-2020, 06:13 PM
Does KT have a history playing WR, or is he just looking at the depth chart and the scheme and thinking he can be a star?

Not any real history, no, but the tools and potential must be there, and the want to, not many QBs would want to make that switch, even though it could be a good opportunity. KT was never gonna be a NFL QB, and he knows that. Why transfer to Southeast Louisiana and play QB in a bunch of games no one even knew were being played when u have a chance to play WR under Leach and possibly get a look from some NFL teams if things work out. Nothing to lose on our end or his.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-10-2020, 06:15 PM
There are better QB’s in the Transfer Portal than Franks...

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 06:17 PM
There are better QB’s in the Transfer Portal than Franks...

The guy from South Carolina Jake Bentley would've been a passing upgrade but he signed with Utah

Turfdawg67
01-10-2020, 06:17 PM
How about they keep Franks and we get Trask?

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 06:20 PM
Honestly, I really want to see how good Shrader can be in this offense before we do anything.

I was impressed with him at times this season.

msstate7
01-10-2020, 06:25 PM
Franks put up a 143 rating and completed 58.4% as a soph in a new system that really didn't fit him. He started off even better than that in both categories this season. I'd certainly take him if he's willing to compete with shrader, no promises.

Really Clark?
I’m sorry but Mullen recommends it to Franks and if Leach agrees that he has a skill set to work with, I’m deferring to them on this for sure. No question when it comes to QB’s

Coach34
Franks was completing 78% of his passes this season until he got hurt.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 06:27 PM
I’m sorry but Mullen recommends it to Franks and if Leach agrees that he has a skill set to work with, I’m deferring to them on this for sure. No question when it comes to QB’s

Oh absolutely.

If Leach thinks he can use him then I'm good with hit.

If there is one thing we can't really question Leach about it's his ability to find a gun slinger

HailStateSZN19
01-10-2020, 06:27 PM
If we’re not retaining Shoop. I think Strong would be a big time hire. He’s a damn good defensive coach. I’m sure he’d just come for a couple years before he’d bolt for a HC opportunity again somewhere but I’d take him as a DC without question.

As for Franks, idk about that. I haven’t seen anything from him in any UF games I’ve watched that makes me think he’d be an air raid guy or any better than Shrader. But this is Leach’s team, I trust his offensive input a lot more than mine lol.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 06:30 PM
If we’re not retaining Shoop. I think Strong would be a big time hire. He’s a damn good defensive coach. I’m sure he’d just come for a couple years before he’d bolt for a HC opportunity again somewhere but I’d take him as a DC without question.

As for Franks, idk about that. I haven’t seen anything from him in any UF games I’ve watched that makes me think he’d be an air raid guy or any better than Shrader. But this is Leach’s team, I trust his offensive input a lot more than mine lol.

Strong has been fired from two straight head coaching jobs. I doubt he gets another chance.

The problem with evaluating QBs now that we have Leach is that we don't know WTF we're looking at.

Leach can make steak out of feces when it comes to QBs, so I'm not currently sure what his model is. It's going to take a few years of watching his offenses to figure out exactly who fits us

Mobile Bay
01-10-2020, 06:46 PM

Better than both. He was DC under Meyer while Mullen was OC there. Won a Sugar Bowl at Louisville in 2012, beating a one loss Florida then. Somehow he just doesn't have that extra to be a good HC.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-10-2020, 06:54 PM
I disagree that hes better than both.

He hasnt been a DC since Mullen was at Florida as an OC. That's a long time of offensive adjustment. The entire Oregon fast tempo thing, for example. We have no idea how well Strong has kept up, or is capable of installing it as well as he did back in the 2000's.

I remember Florida hired that former Miami HC who was supposed to be a defensive guru, but the game had passed him by and he sucked at UF

CadaverDawg
01-10-2020, 07:13 PM
I'd rather take our lumps getting Rogers experience over Franks

Skydawg1
01-10-2020, 07:16 PM
I certainly think that every transfer QB is going to be knocking down the door to come play for Leach. That's for damn sure so we'll probably hear a bunch of these rumorsEspecially if Joe Brady goes back to the NFL.

dawgday166
01-10-2020, 07:17 PM

Yep

dawgday166
01-10-2020, 07:18 PM
Better than both. He was DC under Meyer while Mullen was OC there. Won a Sugar Bowl at Louisville in 2012, beating a one loss Florida then. Somehow he just doesn't have that extra to be a good HC.

He did really well at Lville. Texas was his downfall ... like it is most coaches these days.

Captain Falcon
01-10-2020, 07:43 PM
Franks can pass. He’s got some serious arm talent and Mullen did wonders for his career. I would prefer to see what Shrader can do, but if for some reason we see Franks as a need I will be on board.

gravedigger
01-10-2020, 07:52 PM

Mayden

Coach34
01-10-2020, 07:54 PM
aGAIN- Franks was completing 78% of his passes when he got hurt for the season this year. If we plan to throw it 45-50 times per game- we will need at least 2 QB's ready to go every Saturday

Dawgface
01-10-2020, 08:00 PM
I'd rather take our lumps getting Rogers experience over Franks

Idk.....Franks would give Rogers a chance to learn the system and RS. But I would of course go with whoever is the best and not promise the job to Franks just to get him here. I wonder what Shader would think about another transfer to compete against?

DeviousDawg
01-10-2020, 08:03 PM
aGAIN- Franks was completing 78% of his passes when he got hurt for the season this year. If we plan to throw it 45-50 times per game- we will need at least 2 QB's ready to go every Saturday

Agreed. It is a very low risk move for us, if he indeed wants to come, you take him. Well worth the scholly.

This is far from confirmed and still in the early stages, but as of now I would EXPECT this to happen.

Quaoarsking
01-10-2020, 08:15 PM
The ultimate perfect world would be to have Franks come in and kick ass, and we get to limit Shrader and Rogers to 4 games each and redshirt both, and then they can square off in 2021 to see who the QB of the future is.

That may not work with injuries and all that, but imagine how great it would be to have 5th year senior Shrader in 2023 with 4 years in the offense, or Rogers in 2024.

Mimi's Babies
01-10-2020, 08:18 PM
Honestly, I really want to see how good Shrader can be in this offense before we do anything.

I was impressed with him at times this season.

Marcus Murphy played several other positions in high school.

DeviousDawg
01-10-2020, 08:31 PM
On the Defensive Coordinator search:

Hearing even more smoke around Charlie Strong's name. There is no doubt that there is mutual interest between MSU and Strong. Mutual interest is just the first box to check, though.

Strong, Grantham and Shoop will all have to say no for it not to be one of them. I think you throw a $7,500,000 over 4 years at Grantham, with each year's salary increasing by $250,000 a year($1,500,000 in 2020; $1,750,000 in 2021; $2,000,000 in 2022; $2,250,000 in 2023) which incentivizes him to stick around (along with his son being a freshman on the baseball team this year) for at least 4 years before taking a HC job at a lower tier P5 school somewhere. If he declines, I think you throw a similar offer at Strong and try to come to an agreement. If that doesn't work you come back to Shoop and give him $4,000,000 to $5,000,000 over 4 years. If that doesn't work you go back to the drawing board, maybe take a couple shots at some big name sitting P5 DC's, make them say no.

I have heard no matter what this is not a hire that we will go cheap on.

dawgday166
01-10-2020, 08:32 PM
On the Defensive Coordinator search:

Hearing even more smoke around Charlie Strong's name. There is no doubt that there is mutual interest between MSU and Strong. Mutual interest is just the first box to check, though.

Strong, Grantham and Shoop will all have to say no for it not to be one of them. I think you throw a $7,500,000 over 4 years at Grantham, with each year's salary increasing by $250,000 a year($1,500,000 in 2020; $1,750,000 in 2021; $2,000,000 in 2022; $2,250,000 in 2023) which incentivizes him to stick around (along with his son being a freshman on the baseball team this year) for at least 4 years before taking a HC job at a lower tier P5 school somewhere. If he declines, I think you throw a similar offer at Strong and try to come to an agreement. If that doesn't work you come back to Shoop and give him $4,000,000 to $5,000,000 over 4 years. If that doesn't work you go back to the drawing board, maybe take a couple shots at some big name sitting P5 DC's, make them say no.

I have heard no matter what this is not a hire that we will go cheap on.

You saying Shoop is an option Leach is considering? Cause Paul on 247 says all assistants were kinda told sayonaro.

DeviousDawg
01-10-2020, 08:38 PM
You saying Shoop is an option Leach is considering?

At this point I can't confirm that but I don't see Leach not having a meeting with him if he doesn't get his #1 guy. Shoop is going to be a cheaper option than the other two, which means we may get a position coach or two that we wouldn't have been able to afford with Strong or Grantham as DC. Shoop had the #1 defense in the country at MSU just 1 year ago, he has proved that he can do it here. Shoop is a really smart guy and I see him and Leach hitting it off.

He's a really good DC, but his system does require a certain level of talent to excel, so some years it will look like this year, and some it will look more like last year.

dawgday166
01-10-2020, 08:41 PM
At this point I can't confirm that but I don't see Leach not having a meeting with him if he doesn't get his #1 guy.

I'm with you and that could be the case. Paul just said they were all told he was bringing his own guys on board. However, if he misses on Strong ... he may take a whack at Shoop. I'm slightly concerned with Strong tho. Been 10 years since he's called D plays most likely. Probably still involved in D planning tho.

Coach34
01-10-2020, 08:42 PM
Shoop, T-Buck, and Hughes will be interviewed to keep their jobs. Leach is a smart guy and realizes he needs to recruit. I will be surprised if we dont keep a couple of these guys

dawgday166
01-10-2020, 08:44 PM
You know that for sure?

Homedawg
01-10-2020, 08:53 PM
GRANTHAM isn't coming. Please drop this. It's NOT happening....

Mobile Bay
01-10-2020, 08:55 PM
Franks can pass. He?s got some serious arm talent and Mullen did wonders for his career. I would prefer to see what Shrader can do, but if for some reason we see Franks as a need I will be on board.

If there were such a thing as trading in CFB then I would send Shrader to Florida and take Franks in trade. Shrader fits Dan Mullen's system. Franks fits Leach's system. I think that would be the best thing for both kids in all honesty.

Ari Gold
01-10-2020, 08:59 PM

This...
the only way TG was coming back here was as HC..

Ari Gold
01-10-2020, 08:59 PM

This...

OLJWales
01-10-2020, 09:03 PM

Why would you be so certain of that? You don't think he would wanna spend a few years here working for the Pirate and getting to watch his son play baseball? But if you have inside sources saying otherwise, I would like to know.

Maybe being a DC under the air raid is a tough sell. I guess.

DeviousDawg
01-10-2020, 09:08 PM
This...

No doubt, it?s Shoop or a Strong from early reports, but I still believe you have to make Grantham say no. I know there may be some sour grapes but that feeling will ease, and there is definitely some appeal there for Grantham.

I would be more than happy with Shoop if it happened right now. Still thing Strong is gonna get the first swing at making a deal, if it is not already happening/happened. Too much smoke coming from different directions to not be fire.

DeviousDawg
01-10-2020, 09:09 PM

This is definitely going to be a factor, that?s why we have to commit to paying blue blood money for a DC.

Brahmabull
01-10-2020, 09:18 PM
Why would you be so certain of that? You don't think he would wanna spend a few years here working for the Pirate and getting to watch his son play baseball? But if you have inside sources saying otherwise, I would like to know.

How many times does Homedawg have to tell your that Grantham isn?t coming back???? He knows what he is talking about here.

I don?t mean you specifically Wales, but this continues to be brought up and it?s a dead issue.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2020, 09:20 PM

What about Hud?**

OLJWales
01-10-2020, 09:22 PM
My main concern at this point is the S&C coach. I wanna know about him, his resume and what he's gonna do regarding having meetings and setting the proper expectations regarding what's gonna be required of them during the off season. To me, this is the most important thing at the moment.

If we can lock that part down, then I'll feel much better and no longer nervous. Based on the meeting, I'm feeling confident Leach is gonna lock that part down.

dawgday166
01-10-2020, 09:22 PM
Funny thing is ... some people question me about why I like Shoop so much and I've explained it with stats too many times. I don't get the Grantham love. I like Grantham a lot but on 3rd down and long or late in game, he predictable as hell. And he don't hide what he's fixing to do either. Damn fine DC tho but I think there are many more at his level than there are at Shoop's level.

ETA: Course Grantham runs a 3-4 which a lot of folks love. But I think against spread offenses, 4-2-5 is better. But Shoop mixes those up some here and there too.

OLJWales
01-10-2020, 09:29 PM
How many times does Homedawg have to tell your that Grantham isn?t coming back???? He knows what he is talking about here.

I don?t mean you specifically Wales, but this continues to be brought up and it?s a dead issue.

that's cool man. Again, I don't have any insider info. I'm just wondering why it's a dead issue when his son is playing at The Dude. I realize it's a stretch but maybe it's a topic worthy of discussion? Does Homedawg talk to Grantham's agent?

Homedawg
01-10-2020, 09:30 PM

Well let me start
1- he didn't get our job twice
2- he has a better job
3- He makes more money and we can't out bid them
4- his son is a non baseball scholarship guy and there is no guarantee he will be here in 2, 3 years
5 - see number 1 and 2
6 I'd add more but you people wouldn't believe it anyway. He's not coming back as a DC.
7 I know him.

OLJWales
01-10-2020, 09:31 PM
Funny thing is ... some people question me about why I like Shoop so much and I've explained it with stats too many times. I don't get the Grantham love. I like Grantham a lot but on 3rd down and long or late in game, he predictable as hell. And he don't hide what he's fixing to do either. Damn fine DC tho but I think there are many more at his level than there are at Shoop's level.

ETA: Course Grantham runs a 3-4 which a lot of folks love. But I think against spread offenses, 4-2-5 is better. But Shoop mixes those up some here and there too.

No one should have a problem with retaining Shoop. I'd be all for it but it seems he's not on "the list" of those being retained?

OLJWales
01-10-2020, 09:34 PM
Well let me start
1- he didn't get our job twice
2- he has a better job
3- He makes more money and we can't out bid them
4- his son is a non baseball scholarship guy and there is no guarantee he will be here in 2, 3 years
5 - see number 1 and 2
6 I'd add more but you people wouldn't believe it anyway. He's not coming back as a DC.
7 I know him.

Thanks Homedawg, that should about settle it. Count me in as a believer. I'm sure Leach will do what he feels best regarding the DC position.

Really Clark?
01-10-2020, 09:35 PM
that's cool man. Again, I don't have any insider info. I'm just wondering why it's a dead issue when his son is playing at The Dude. I realize it's a stretch but maybe it's a topic worthy of discussion? Does Homedawg talk to Grantham's agent?

It’s just the topic has been brought up and discussed numerous times. Not as bad as “hire Hud” threads, but getting there. His son playing baseball here is irrelevant to him taking a drop in prestige from FL, who can match any salary we can offer and then some, especially after we have passed him over twice attempting to become our HC. And how does him coaching football in Florida keep him from watching his son possibly play for us in baseball? He can fly up anytime he has a break and has the means to do so as much as he wants.

Brahmabull
01-10-2020, 09:36 PM
Leach is going to hire the DC and then let him hire who he wants for defensive side of ball. Leach trust his coaches to do their job. He will cover everything with the DC candidates and then let the person hired do his job.

The right thing to do is tell the coaches on staff that they do not have a job as of now. I suspect we might bring back TBuck and Tony. Most of Leach’s offensive staff will come with him.

DeviousDawg
01-10-2020, 09:45 PM
Leach is going to hire the DC and then let him hire who he wants for defensive side of ball. Leach trust his coaches to do their job. He will cover everything with the DC candidates and then let the person hired do his job.

The right thing to do is tell the coaches on staff that they do not have a job as of now. I suspect we might bring back TBuck and Tony. Most of Leach’s offensive staff will come with him.

Good post.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2020, 09:45 PM
If we can pull Strong he's the guy. Shoop is a very nice fallback option.

DeviousDawg
01-10-2020, 09:47 PM

Spot on. This is the reality, and it?s a damn good one.

msstate7
01-10-2020, 09:50 PM

^^^^ still alive^^^^

Missed ya

Commercecomet24
01-10-2020, 09:56 PM

Agreed. Good to see you on here again.

OLJWales
01-10-2020, 09:59 PM

Well I'll be damn, look what the cat brought in. Welcome back. So you think Shoop might stay if The Pirate wants him?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2020, 10:09 PM
There's a chance he could be back. I'm hoping to get the Strong deal done.

chef dixon
01-10-2020, 10:12 PM

Strong would be huge for recruiting purposes

HailStateSZN19
01-10-2020, 10:16 PM

How high would you go salary-wise on the offer to Strong? That’d be one hell of a pull!

TUSK
01-10-2020, 10:16 PM
I think Strong would be a legit addition at DC/Sgt at Arms,,, dude, is a disciplinarian from what I recall... and you'll need him to be if y'all wanna entertain the thought of bringin' a cat like Franks aboard your ship...

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2020, 10:17 PM
How high would you go salary-wise on the offer to Strong? That’d be one hell of a pull!

$1.5-1.75 would be my ceiling.

TUSK
01-10-2020, 10:30 PM

$1.5 would fetch em up and be a good value, IMO...

dawgday166
01-10-2020, 10:33 PM

Good to have you back. Why do you like Strong over Shoop? Recruiting? Cause looking at final finishes in total D I still like Shoop.

Todd4State
01-10-2020, 10:37 PM
I like the fact that Strong runs a 3-3-5 defense.

Bothrops
01-10-2020, 10:48 PM
Shrader is better than Franks right now.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2020, 11:03 PM
Good to have you back. Why do you like Strong over Shoop? Recruiting? Cause looking at final finishes in total D I still like Shoop.

Recruiting & the discipline factor he'd install. We need that discipline & toughness.

Cloak
01-10-2020, 11:08 PM

Welcome back.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2020, 11:32 PM

I saw we have a 4.7 million pool for 10 assistant coaches. Does that include the S&C coach?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2020, 11:43 PM
I saw we have a 4.7 million pool for 10 assistant coaches. Does that include the S&C coach?

No that pool is just for on field assistants.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2020, 11:48 PM

That's outstanding. 4.7 million without having to pay an OC should allow us to get pretty much whoever we want-within reason. Then if we are willing to go 500K or so we should be able to get a top notch S&C.

I want good on field coaches first b/c in today's world, I almost wonder if the off the field recruiting staff is more important for recruiting than having on field coaches who are great recruiters.

ETA: I realize both are important, but the off field recruiting staffs are becoming more and more key to the process. Gotta have a couple of closers on staff. This is where Charlie Strong could be huge.

HoopsDawg
01-10-2020, 11:51 PM

I'm struggling to come up with 10 on field assistants:

1. Oline
2. Outside WR's
3. Inside WRs/TE
4. RB
5. DC/LB
6. DL
7. Safties
8. Corners
9. Special Teams
10. ?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2020, 11:56 PM

1. Oline
2. Outside WR's
3. Inside WRs/TE
4. RB
5. DC/LB
6. DL
7. Safties
8. Corners
9. Special Teams
10. ?

You could always just have the DC oversee the D & hire a LB coach also.

HoopsDawg
01-11-2020, 12:04 AM
You could always just have the DC oversee the D & hire a LB coach also.

That makes sense. I hate that some good names have already made decisions. Guys like Mike McIntyre and others....

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-11-2020, 12:05 AM

Are you saying this because Franks is still rehabbing? I hope that?s why.

Todd4State
01-11-2020, 12:12 AM

Are you referring to ceiling? Because I would say Franks is better at the moment but Shrader could be better in time.

Todd4State
01-11-2020, 12:19 AM

1. Oline
2. Outside WR's
3. Inside WRs/TE
4. RB
5. DC/LB
6. DL
7. Safties
8. Corners
9. Special Teams
10. ?

Also I did some research and Leach's RB coach that he is rumored to be bringing in Eric Mele also appears to have coached ST at Wazzu.

I think it could be something like:

1. RB/ST
2. WR's
3. Inside WR's
4. O-line
5. DC- like IYOK said
6. DL
7. LB
8. CB
9. S
10. Nickle

Westdawg
01-11-2020, 12:28 AM
I like the fact that Strong runs a 3-3-5 defense.

Oh heck no. I HATE the 3-3-5. As a "plug" to add as a "money" alignment for some passing downs to help bring in different angles for blitzes I'm fine. But I hate it as a base defense. There's still too much we need that 4th DL / hybrid DE to anchor a side down like in a 3-4 look.

Ezsoil
01-11-2020, 12:46 AM

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

I know the family personally and he IS NOT coming!

War Machine Dawg
01-11-2020, 02:27 AM

Hell no on Franks, imo. Shrader, Moose and Rogers is good enough. If he can get his head on straight and with some coaching, Shrader could be insanely good. I see no reason to bring in Franks. The guy wasn't all that good at FL with way better WR talent and imo the best QB coach in the country in Mullen working with him. It would be Tommy Stevens all over again and further kill our QB room without any real reason.

If we're going to use the transfer portal, it needs to be for WRs. That's where we need a major upgrade.

Goldendawg
01-11-2020, 02:56 AM
Hell no on Franks, imo. Shrader, Moose and Rogers is good enough. If he can get his head on straight and with some coaching, Shrader could be insanely good. I see no reason to bring in Franks. The guy wasn't all that good at FL with way better WR talent and imo the best QB coach in the country in Mullen working with him. It would be Tommy Stevens all over again and further kill our QB room without any real reason.

If we're going to use the transfer portal, it needs to be for WRs. That's where we need a major upgrade.

Agree 100%. Hail State!

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-11-2020, 07:22 AM
Oh heck no. I HATE the 3-3-5. As a "plug" to add as a "money" alignment for some passing downs to help bring in different angles for blitzes I'm fine. But I hate it as a base defense. There's still too much we need that 4th DL / hybrid DE to anchor a side down like in a 3-4 look.

Agreed 3-3-5 sucks, AND it doesnt fit our personnel since we have recruited way better at DL than LB. 4-2-5 is perfect for us.

Moreover, Stongs Ds as a HC haven't been impressive at all. He failed to improve the D on either team.

So if he as HC hired mediocre coaches on the defensive staff, what makes anyone here happy hed hire the defensive staff if he was DC? He obviously doesnt have a good eye for coaching talent even on his side of the ball

AlSwearengen
01-11-2020, 08:52 AM
I’m trying to figure out how Franks is a good fit for Leach’s system. Franks was good at running but struggled mightily with accuracy and decision making in the games that I saw.

bluelightstar
01-11-2020, 09:05 AM
Franks was actually playing really well this season until he got hurt.

smootness
01-11-2020, 09:10 AM
I’m trying to figure out how Franks is a good fit for Leach’s system. Franks was good at running but struggled mightily with accuracy and decision making in the games that I saw.

? Franks is much more of a passer than a runner. He was never a good fit in Mullen's offense.

chef dixon
01-11-2020, 09:14 AM
? Franks is much more of a passer than a runner. He was never a good fit in Mullen's offense.

So is Trask, even more so, and he did great with Mullen.

dawgday166
01-11-2020, 09:22 AM
Agreed 3-3-5 sucks, AND it doesnt fit our personnel since we have recruited way better at DL than LB. 4-2-5 is perfect for us.

Moreover, Stongs Ds as a HC haven't been impressive at all. He failed to improve the D on either team.

So if he as HC hired mediocre coaches on the defensive staff, what makes anyone here happy hed hire the defensive staff if he was DC? He obviously doesnt have a good eye for coaching talent even on his side of the ball

At Florida he was top 10 DC. But still not like Shoop's years (except TN and last year). Shoop's 3 Ds at Vandy that were like 18 to 21 over 3 years are about as impressive to me as his #1 & #2 Ds at MSU/PSU. And I agree on 4-2-5. In 2014 we kinda had that alignment cause Matt Wells was really a tweener LB/S.

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2020, 09:23 AM
Franks was actually playing really well this season until he got hurt.

He was playing better & his completion percentage was up, but I've never watched him thought he was good player.

That being said, one thing I'm not going to do under the new regime is question Mike Leach about who our QB should be

We can question recruiting, are we RTGDF enough, & the defense, but questioning him about who the QB should be is about like questioning a heart surgeon on how to avoid the coronary arteries.

You just let them handle it

Behrdawg
01-11-2020, 09:35 AM

Strong is a STUD when it comes to recruiting.

basedog
01-11-2020, 09:48 AM
He was playing better & his completion percentage was up, but I've never watched him thought he was good player.

That being said, one thing I'm not going to do under the new regime is question Mike Leach about who our QB should be

We can question recruiting, are we RTGDF enough, & the defense, but questioning him about who the QB should be is about like questioning a heart surgeon on how to avoid the coronary arteries.

You just let them handle it

Coming off an injury also, think we can do better, quick fix with Franks doesn't ring the cowbell for me.

msstate7
01-11-2020, 10:05 AM
If franks wants to come here and we turn him down, it would be idiotic... well, unless we get a better transfer or franks wants a guaranteed starter promise.

Nutriaitch
01-11-2020, 10:10 AM

Franks can be really good. or really freaking terrible.

Problem is he can be both in the same game.
And his low points are way worse (and more regular) than his high points.

Spiderman
01-11-2020, 10:16 AM

I would always be cautious of a transfer QB unless he was a really special player that the whole team would buy in that he would make them way better.

Every other position isn't that big a deal, but you can sure screw up a team on QB decisions. Sometimes even with QB's you already have.

The QB should be THE leader on the team. I don't care what you say, the QB sets the tone for the whole team.

gravedigger
01-11-2020, 10:26 AM
If franks wants to come here and we turn him down, it would be idiotic... well, unless we get a better transfer or franks wants a guaranteed starter promise.

I'm pretty confident our 3 (Shrader, madden, Rogers) will be very good. Not sure we need that 4h unless Mayden is out. Not saying Franks isn't good enough, but I didn't like his on field antics. Has the potential to be a cancer.

msstate7
01-11-2020, 10:30 AM
I'm pretty confident our 3 (Shrader, madden, Rogers) will be very good. Not sure we need that 4h unless Mayden is out. Not saying Franks isn't good enough, but I didn't like his on field antics. Has the potential to be a cancer.

I thought mayden leaving was a done deal, thus why I said franks should be a certain take. If mayden isn't leaving, the decision becomes a decision

bobcat91
01-11-2020, 10:31 AM

All of our guys are learning a new system and need reps. I just dont see the need of a one year rental taking reps away from players who are long term and need it.

Dawgface
01-11-2020, 10:33 AM
He had 4 qb's on the roster last year at WSU. I imagine he wants the same here.

msstate7
01-11-2020, 10:39 AM

Not really sure what you can base that on. He had to learn a new system last year that didn't really fit his skill set, yet he still put up solid numbers as a soph. He was 7th in the sec in passer rating last season, and was off to an even better rating this year before he got hurt. Systems that fit the qb skill set matter... take a look at burrow last year vs this year. Burrow's passer rating (12th in sec) was 10 points lower than franks' last year. Putting a QB in a position to succeed can make a world of difference. Mullen thinking that system is leach's carries a ton of weight with me. Now we'll see what leach thinks, which ultimately is the only opinion other than franks that matters anyway

Brahmabull
01-11-2020, 11:28 AM
We really need 4 QB’s. Injuries and more arms to work more receivers in drills. Leach likes to run the 4 QB drill throwing to all 4 receivers at the same time. Get more repetitions that way. Trust Leach to make the right offensive calls. The guy knows more about the offensive side of the ball than everyone on this board combined! No offense.

Tbonewannabe
01-11-2020, 11:32 AM
Not really sure what you can base that on. He had to learn a new system last year that didn't really fit his skill set, yet he still put up solid numbers as a soph. He was 7th in the sec in passer rating last season, and was off to an even better rating this year before he got hurt. Systems that fit the qb skill set matter... take a look at burrow last year vs this year. Burrow's passer rating (12th in sec) was 10 points lower than franks' last year. Putting a QB in a position to succeed can make a world of difference. Mullen thinking that system is leach's carries a ton of weight with me. Now we'll see what leach thinks, which ultimately is the only opinion other than franks that matters anyway

Franks was also the 5th best Pro style QB in the country out of high school. He has a lot of talent that Mullen's system didn't fit that great. Think how much better Tyler Russell would fit Leach's system compared to Mullen's.

basedog
01-11-2020, 11:40 AM
Strong is a STUD when it comes to recruiting.

Well why didn't he win more games?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-11-2020, 11:50 AM
I thought mayden leaving was a done deal, thus why I said franks should be a certain take. If mayden isn't leaving, the decision becomes a decision

Mayden leaving was never a done deal. It was just an assumption based off an assumption. There was never any serious buzz about him leaving.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-11-2020, 11:50 AM
Well why didn't he win more games?

You can be a very good coordinator & not a good HC. See: Joe Moorhead Exhibit A.

basedog
01-11-2020, 12:07 PM
You can be a very good coordinator & not a good HC. See: Joe Moorhead Exhibit A.

I understand but Strong is known as a defensive guy, maybe you know more than I but on paper I doesn't look good. Strong was a DC years ago, I think he is more of a gamble than say Shoop.

How you been, I will PM u in a few days, can't wait for baseball to get here, LOL!

Coach34
01-11-2020, 12:56 PM
Franks was good at running but struggled mightily with accuracy and decision making in the games that I saw.

Franks was completing 76% of his passes when he got hurt last year

R2Dawg
01-11-2020, 01:07 PM
I would always be cautious of a transfer QB unless he was a really special player that the whole team would buy in that he would make them way better.

Every other position isn't that big a deal, but you can sure screw up a team on QB decisions. Sometimes even with QB's you already have.

The QB should be THE leader on the team. I don't care what you say, the QB sets the tone for the whole team.

Agree. I don't want Franks. I'd go with someone already in our program. We have some good QBs to choose from. I still like Shradder but Rogers, KT, Mayben. One of these guys can get it done.

msstate7
01-11-2020, 01:17 PM
Agree. I don't want Franks. I'd go with someone already in our program. We have some good QBs to choose from. I still like Shradder but Rogers, KT, Mayben. One of these guys can get it done.

Maybe, but leach's most successful year at WSU was with a transfer. 3 of the 4 playoff teams had a starting qb that was a transfer. Transfers can lead to immediate success, and also, not one of our qbs was recruited as a pure pocket passer

chef dixon
01-11-2020, 01:21 PM
Maybe, but leach's most successful year at WSU was with a transfer. 3 of the 4 playoff teams had a starting qb that was a transfer. Transfers can lead to immediate success, and also, not one of our qbs was recruited as a pure pocket passer

Yea but most of the successful transfer QBs are not ones that played a lot already and were not very good. We can quote 78% completion all day but he was average at best and Florida fans were happy to have a new starting QB. With that said, agree we should at least look at the transfer portal for a QB.

smootness
01-11-2020, 02:06 PM
Yea but most of the successful transfer QBs are not ones that played a lot already and were not very good. We can quote 78% completion all day but he was average at best and Florida fans were happy to have a new starting QB. With that said, agree we should at least look at the transfer portal for a QB.

He didn't fit the Florida offense, that's why they wanted a change. Similar to Tyler Russell in that offense.

I don't really care what we do, but the one transfer Leach has had that killed it was also a guy who had played a good bit and hadn't set the world on fire.

chef dixon
01-11-2020, 02:18 PM
He didn't fit the Florida offense, that's why they wanted a change. Similar to Tyler Russell in that offense.

I don't really care what we do, but the one transfer Leach has had that killed it was also a guy who had played a good bit and hadn't set the world on fire.

As I mentioned, Trask is even less of a fit for Mullen, but he played better because he's just a better QB. Tyler Russell is a lot more comparable to Trask as far as mobility and wanting to be a pocket passer.

BuckyIsAB****
01-11-2020, 03:44 PM

Rogers is. Breiner has compared him to Joe Burrow

msstate7
01-11-2020, 03:50 PM

Yeah, he slipped my mind. I would like to RS him at all costs if possible though

BuckyIsAB****
01-11-2020, 04:01 PM
Yeah, he slipped my mind. I would like to RS him at all costs if possible though

Probably would have been the case if Moorhead stayed. Its not happening now. Needs to put on some weight but mentally and accuracy wise he is the best on campus

dawgday166
01-11-2020, 04:04 PM
Probably would have been the case if Moorhead stayed. Its not happening now. Needs to put on some weight but mentally and accuracy wise he is the best on campus

This is most important trait to Leach other than intelligence. I'm not sure we have one as accurate as Leach likes other than Rogers but ... Leach probably could help some with that.

Quaoarsking
01-11-2020, 04:35 PM

Thanks to the 4 game rule, if we get Franks (or another grad transfer), we could possibly redshirt both Rogers and Shrader, and then let the best man inherit the long-term QB role in 2021.

Todd4State
01-11-2020, 04:37 PM
Thanks to the 4 game rule, if we get Franks (or another grad transfer), we could possibly redshirt both Rogers and Shrader, and then let the best man inherit the long-term QB role in 2021.

That's really the best case scenario. I'm wondering if Shrader needs time to develop as a team leader in light of the incident at the end of the year.

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-11-2020, 06:12 PM
I understand the hesitation on Franks that some of you are feeling. Initially, I had the same thoughts. But the more I think about it, the more I am willing to accept him. Another thing, subconsciously, is Stevens being fresh on our minds. That didn't go like any of us wanted. But with Franks, even though I know he could be divisive at times, you've got to think that his mindset is, ok, this is it. If I have any chance of making it on the next level, I've got to make the most out of this opportunity. If he comes in with that mindset, all of the other stuff that we're worried about outside of just his ability to get it done, will all fall into place. Hopefully, we have a coach who can determine if that's his thinking or not. I would love to redshirt Rogers this year. I always like to compare a player such as Rogers like, what will his production be his true freshman year compared to his senior year? I'll take the senior year pretty much every time.

msbulldog
01-11-2020, 06:47 PM
I watched Franks play in the Florida/Miami game this year he showed his ass on the field and on the sidelines. We don't need that kind of player.

Coach34
01-11-2020, 07:21 PM

Coach Rogers- you laying it on a little thick arent ya?

Spiderman
01-11-2020, 07:25 PM
I watched Franks play in the Florida/Miami game this year he showed his ass on the field and on the sidelines. We don't need that kind of player.

He does seem like a turd. Just by his actions I've seen. I don't know the kid so I can't say for sure. But actions speak louder than words.

Leach hates "look at me" players. He abhors any bit of selfishness

Spiderman
01-11-2020, 07:26 PM
Coach Rogers- you laying it on a little thick arent ya?

Haha, don't think that's ole Wyatt.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-11-2020, 07:40 PM

Where were you on Willie Gay? When you have high talent confident kids thats something you have to deal with. We wanted Cam Newton didn?t we? You just have to trust the coach to harness that energy in the right place.

TUSK
01-11-2020, 10:13 PM
JMO, but it y'all are tryin' to clean up the "culture" at State, the last thing ya need to do is bring in a cat that acts like Franks...

I was watching the game in which he got hurt and immediately thought to myself, "Lawd, Dan just caught a huge break...."

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2020, 10:36 PM
JMO, but it y'all are tryin' to clean up the "culture" at State, the last thing ya need to do is bring in a cat that acts like Franks...

I was watching the game in which he got hurt and immediately thought to myself, "Lawd, Dan just caught a huge break...."

Same here.

Not once have I watched that guy & thought he could play

msstate7
01-11-2020, 10:47 PM
Same here.

Not once have I watched that guy & thought he could play

So what happens when If leach brings him in? You gonna say leach is dumb or what?

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2020, 11:02 PM
So what happens when If leach brings him in? You gonna say leach is dumb or what?

No. I have a ton of respect for Leach.

What I'll do is hope that someone else wins the job. I'll hope that Shrader, Mayden, KT or whoever the hell else in on the team happens to be better than Franks

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2020, 11:07 PM
Doesn't look like Leach is going to keep much of anyone.

basically cleaning house & bringing in his people