PDA

View Full Version : Defense with an offensive head coach

chef dixon
01-10-2020, 05:13 PM
Question for some guys that have coaching experience. Why are Leach's teams considered to have poor defenses? Is it because he just hasn't been able to attract defensive talent? I get the impression a lot of offensive HCs are pretty hands off with their defense. I got that vibe from Moorhead and yet we had the number 1 D in the country because we had the horses. So my wonder is simple, with the right DC and maintaining our level of recruiting, should we have a concern about a real drop off from where we have been over the last 10 years on that side of the ball?

TrapGame
01-10-2020, 05:16 PM
I think it's talent. The recruiting/talent profile for Leach's defense just went up considerably by being in Mississippi. A good DC w/ Tri-State talent (MS/AL/LA) and he'll have the best defenses he's ever had in his career.

dawgday166
01-10-2020, 05:17 PM
I'm pretty sure from reading Leach's book that he's hands off. He just needs a top notch DC IMO.

Okrastar1
01-10-2020, 05:18 PM
its the offense more than anything. He has been such a pass 1st air raid coach, and when you do that 2 things usually happen. 1.You play way more plays and its harder to keep your D fresh and attacking. 2.If you have a few incomplete or dropped passes in a possession it could mean your D is back out there in less than about 15-30 seconds.

chef dixon
01-10-2020, 05:19 PM
its the offense more than anything. He has been such a pass 1st air raid coach, and when you do that 2 things usually happen. 1.You play way more plays and its harder to keep your D fresh and attacking. 2.If you have a few incomplete or dropped passes in a possession it could mean your D is back out there in less than about 15-30 seconds.

Very true. Although I was very impressed our D in 2018 was so dominant with how quickly we usually had to punt lol

dawgday166
01-10-2020, 05:26 PM
The difference in SEC D is speed, especially at DLine. The biggest, fast dudes in the country live down South. He didn't get many Fletcher Cox, Chris Jones, Jeff Simmons types at his last 2 stops.

BuckyIsAB****
01-10-2020, 06:06 PM
His defense at WSU in 2018 was pretty good. Its a little overplayed that his defenses always suck but there is some concern there.

I believe its just a mixture of the offensive style and he didnt have a whole lot of talent. Its not that he (or any other air raid coach) doesnt give a shit about defense.

I've seen 2 Tight teams be terrible on defense and I've seen air raid teams be great on defense. Its kind of an urban legend

msstate7
01-10-2020, 06:12 PM
Washington st defense rankings nationally in number of plays defended...

2016 - 39th
2017 - 28th
2018 - 29th
2019 - 72nd

I think they did a good job of keeping the defense off the field

Spiderman
01-10-2020, 07:46 PM
Question for some guys that have coaching experience. Why are Leach's teams considered to have poor defenses? Is it because he just hasn't been able to attract defensive talent? I get the impression a lot of offensive HCs are pretty hands off with their defense. I got that vibe from Moorhead and yet we had the number 1 D in the country because we had the horses. So my wonder is simple, with the right DC and maintaining our level of recruiting, should we have a concern about a real drop off from where we have been over the last 10 years on that side of the ball?

Mainly because they recruit to offense and the better athletes will play offense.

Mullen was more the opposite. He always said if the defensive coaches wanted a player they got him. If the choice with a scholarship player was between a offensive player and a defensive one, the defensive guy got it.

Heard that many times out of his own mouth.

Coach34
01-10-2020, 08:08 PM
We are going to play an extra 20 plays on D per game this coming season. We better recruit hard defensively