PDA

View Full Version : Really good thread on Leach from WSU fans

DEDawg
01-10-2020, 04:35 PM
Some really good info here on Leach from WSU fans. I'll post some of the positive and negative highlights that seem to be a common theme. Main pro i'm seeing is he holds his players accountable and instills a good culture. Main negative I'm seeing is clock management, play after a bye week/opener, not getting under center at goal line, and losing consistently to rivals (i think this is more about Washington just being great the past 10 years). Tons of other posts, if anyone wants the full thread it's here: https://washingtonstate.forums.rivals.com/threads/dawg-fan-coming-in-peace.20138/#post-234534

1) Knowing the MSU situation and what led to the firing of Moorehead, Leach is exactly a great fit for the program at this point in time. The MSU program needs focus and discipline. Every place Leach has coached the program's off the field issues have decreased and class room performance has improved. That is not debatable from anyone that wants to be negative right now. He is not from the Jimmy Johnson school of there is one set of rules for the stars and another set for the rest of the team.

Because of that his teams play as teams as much as anyone in the country. Player interviews even over time start sounding the same. Over time his players start forming a great bond with one another. This is the primary reason you never saw a ton of players at WSU hit the transfer portal. Every player knew they would get their touches, everyone had a key role etc..

What Leach does need to be a big winner is a really good coach on defense. Not just good but a real fiery type. One reason Grinch worked so well with Leach was he was a real animated motivator which made up for Leach not being a real rah rah type. Trouble is Grinch is an absolute failure in big games. He was as much or more to blame in the AC losses as Leach and that problem showed up again when OU played LSU.

Summary I think if his track record holds Leach will get MSU straightened out from a team structure point of view. However make no predictions on his record until I see who hires for defense.

2) Every year you will win a game you have no business winning
Every year you'll lose a game you have no business losing
There will be at least two teams in the SEC that hold your offense under 20 points every time you play them
There will be a team you drop 50+ on every time you play them
You'll suck in openers and off of byes
You'll lose to Ole Miss 7 times in a row
You'll beat Arkansas 5 out of 6
You'll win games where you barely score 20
You'll lose games when you put up at least 50
You'll have one game a year when the offense runs the ball 20 times for 200+ yards
The rest of the year, you might not run the ball 20 times combined
Your QB's will throw for 4,500+ yards and 35+ TD's, you'll record will be 6-6
You'll go to bowls!
You'll never seriously have a shot at winning your division
The team made good decisions, played hard and executed
It ain't my fault, ask the players
Each year the Air raid will only have 7-10 plays
Each year the Air Raid will have the same 7-10 plays
Every year Leach's name will be mentioned in the coaching carousel
Leach will be your coach until it's announced he has taken the job at Illinois.

3) Get ready to shout, "JUST PUNT THE F'ING BALL!" at your TV as Leach has a seizure while trying to decide if he should punt on 4th and 4 at his own 49 yard line and wastes a timeout because he just can't help himself......... Get ready to yell, "REALLY MIKE?" when the QB lines up in the shotgun on 3rd and goal from the 6 inch line....... Get ready to yell, "GODDAMMIT!" when your team gets called for delay of game because Mike sent a WR onto the field with 10 seconds to go on the play clock and you watch the official standing over the ball to give the defense a chance to substitute........ Get ready to yell, "TAKE THE POINTS!" when Leach goes for it on 4th an goal from the 6 yard line instead of kicking the field goal and then being pissed as you realize that his decision to pass on the field goal cost you the game........... Get ready to be angry when a drive ends on downs after three incomplete passes when you had gained 40 yards on 3 rushing plays right before that. Get ready to be even more pissed when you realize that they only ran the ball 3 more times the entire game.......... Get ready to throw stuff at your TV screen as you watch a 14 point 4th quarter lead evaporate because the Air Raid is incapable of burning clock......... Get ready to sit around asking yourself how your team lost when it scored 59+ points (happened to us twice...in regulation)......... Get ready to laugh at the napkin that Leach calls a playbook as he scratches notes after an incomplete pass......... Get ready to yell "HOW THE HECK DID THAT HAPPEN?" when you lose the Egg Bowl as a 10 point favorite......... Get ready to shake your head when Mike calls out the team for being entitled or unfocused, coughs, chugs water, and than says they as coaches had failed to motivate them........ Finally, no matter how much you are paying him, get ready for him to interview for other jobs in a few years.

4) No sour grapes here. I think you should be a little worried. I doubt his offense is going to work well against any of the SECs good defenses. He could do nothing against the better couple of good defenses we had in our conference each year and you?ve got like 8 of em in the SEC. I think leach was checked out for whatever reason at WSU and was going for one last big payday as he?s probably only interested in coaching a few more years anyways. My guess is ceiling of about 8 wins there.

msstate7
01-10-2020, 04:41 PM
There's actually a couple things to be worried about in this imo: running clock, goal line/short yardage

DEDawg
01-10-2020, 04:43 PM
There's actually a couple things to be worried about in this imo: running clock, goal line/short yardage

clock mgmt, bye weeks, and goal line scares me pretty bad. Dan was the master at not paying attention to the clock, and I can't remember how many times I wanted to rip my hair out when Joe would call a shotgun play on 3rd and inches with Fitz.

Commercecomet24
01-10-2020, 04:50 PM
There's a reason to be excited and to be cautious at the same time. I've watched Leach since his first year at TTU. It will definitely be a love/hate thing and frustrating at times. Can he win in the SEC? I think he wanted to find out and I do too.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 05:04 PM
1. Leach is human
2. No coaches handle the clock well. Haven't we learned that by now.
3. Washington State was a 46+ annual recruiter. Perhaps many of those failures where when Wazzou as out talented by 20+ spots in the recruiting rankings but happened to be favored due to Leach
4. We did the same thing when Mullen left. Found every negative. How is that going?

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-10-2020, 05:18 PM
I am concerned about DCs figuring out his offense.

Washington has a defender playing in the NFL now and he says WSU ran the exact same plays from the same formations all 4 years he was there. (UW was 4-0).

Leach does his thing even if it's clear the other team has it figured out. I worry Aranda, Saban, Steel, etc will own him and and Leach will make zero adjustments year after year. I dont exlect to beat those teams often bit at least feel competitive would be nice.

That ms basically my only worry

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 05:27 PM

Washington has a defender playing in the NFL now and he says WSU ran the exact same plays from the same formations all 4 years he was there. (UW was 4-0).

Leach does his thing even if it's clear the other team has it figured out. I worry Aranda, Saban, Steel, etc will own him and and Leach will make zero adjustments year after year. I dont exlect to beat those teams often bit at least feel competitive would be nice.

Wazzou has a team talent ranking of 70th while Washington's roster is ranked 19th.

That's essentially like Mississippi State playing Florida Atlantic. My guess is that's why Wazzou always lost

dawgday166
01-10-2020, 05:31 PM

While the talent gap should narrow between say LSU vs us relative to Wash vs WSU, I'm some concerned with this myself.

OLJWales
01-10-2020, 05:36 PM
Shotgun formation a yard shy of the endzone, I laughed.

Brahmabull
01-10-2020, 05:51 PM
That's misleading. The plays are the same, but how they are defended and the option routes that result from the defense vary. How they are executed is what matters. For instance, you can call one play 92 and run it every single down of a series and the average fan will think it's a different play every time. The execution (read, pass, catch) determine if they are successful.

And, one player on the defense will not know what's going on all over the field while the play is happening.

KB21
01-10-2020, 05:51 PM

He’s been coaching this offense for 20 plus years, and defensive coordinators haven’t figured it out yet.

Turfdawg67
01-10-2020, 06:02 PM
This is your idea of "a really good thread"?

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-10-2020, 06:10 PM
Some really good info here on Leach from WSU fans. I'll post some of the positive and negative highlights that seem to be a common theme. Main pro i'm seeing is he holds his players accountable and instills a good culture. Main negative I'm seeing is clock management, play after a bye week/opener, not getting under center at goal line, and losing consistently to rivals (i think this is more about Washington just being great the past 10 years). Tons of other posts, if anyone wants the full thread it's here: https://washingtonstate.forums.rivals.com/threads/dawg-fan-coming-in-peace.20138/#post-234534

1) Knowing the MSU situation and what led to the firing of Moorehead, Leach is exactly a great fit for the program at this point in time. The MSU program needs focus and discipline. Every place Leach has coached the program's off the field issues have decreased and class room performance has improved. That is not debatable from anyone that wants to be negative right now. He is not from the Jimmy Johnson school of there is one set of rules for the stars and another set for the rest of the team.

Because of that his teams play as teams as much as anyone in the country. Player interviews even over time start sounding the same. Over time his players start forming a great bond with one another. This is the primary reason you never saw a ton of players at WSU hit the transfer portal. Every player knew they would get their touches, everyone had a key role etc..

What Leach does need to be a big winner is a really good coach on defense. Not just good but a real fiery type. One reason Grinch worked so well with Leach was he was a real animated motivator which made up for Leach not being a real rah rah type. Trouble is Grinch is an absolute failure in big games. He was as much or more to blame in the AC losses as Leach and that problem showed up again when OU played LSU.

Summary I think if his track record holds Leach will get MSU straightened out from a team structure point of view. However make no predictions on his record until I see who hires for defense.

2) Every year you will win a game you have no business winning
Every year you'll lose a game you have no business losing
There will be at least two teams in the SEC that hold your offense under 20 points every time you play them
There will be a team you drop 50+ on every time you play them
You'll suck in openers and off of byes
You'll lose to Ole Miss 7 times in a row
You'll beat Arkansas 5 out of 6
You'll win games where you barely score 20
You'll lose games when you put up at least 50
You'll have one game a year when the offense runs the ball 20 times for 200+ yards
The rest of the year, you might not run the ball 20 times combined
Your QB's will throw for 4,500+ yards and 35+ TD's, you'll record will be 6-6
You'll go to bowls!
You'll never seriously have a shot at winning your division
The team made good decisions, played hard and executed
It ain't my fault, ask the players
Each year the Air raid will only have 7-10 plays
Each year the Air Raid will have the same 7-10 plays
Every year Leach's name will be mentioned in the coaching carousel
Leach will be your coach until it's announced he has taken the job at Illinois.

3) Get ready to shout, "JUST PUNT THE F'ING BALL!" at your TV as Leach has a seizure while trying to decide if he should punt on 4th and 4 at his own 49 yard line and wastes a timeout because he just can't help himself......... Get ready to yell, "REALLY MIKE?" when the QB lines up in the shotgun on 3rd and goal from the 6 inch line....... Get ready to yell, "GODDAMMIT!" when your team gets called for delay of game because Mike sent a WR onto the field with 10 seconds to go on the play clock and you watch the official standing over the ball to give the defense a chance to substitute........ Get ready to yell, "TAKE THE POINTS!" when Leach goes for it on 4th an goal from the 6 yard line instead of kicking the field goal and then being pissed as you realize that his decision to pass on the field goal cost you the game........... Get ready to be angry when a drive ends on downs after three incomplete passes when you had gained 40 yards on 3 rushing plays right before that. Get ready to be even more pissed when you realize that they only ran the ball 3 more times the entire game.......... Get ready to throw stuff at your TV screen as you watch a 14 point 4th quarter lead evaporate because the Air Raid is incapable of burning clock......... Get ready to sit around asking yourself how your team lost when it scored 59+ points (happened to us twice...in regulation)......... Get ready to laugh at the napkin that Leach calls a playbook as he scratches notes after an incomplete pass......... Get ready to yell "HOW THE HECK DID THAT HAPPEN?" when you lose the Egg Bowl as a 10 point favorite......... Get ready to shake your head when Mike calls out the team for being entitled or unfocused, coughs, chugs water, and than says they as coaches had failed to motivate them........ Finally, no matter how much you are paying him, get ready for him to interview for other jobs in a few years.

4) No sour grapes here. I think you should be a little worried. I doubt his offense is going to work well against any of the SECs good defenses. He could do nothing against the better couple of good defenses we had in our conference each year and you?ve got like 8 of em in the SEC. I think leach was checked out for whatever reason at WSU and was going for one last big payday as he?s probably only interested in coaching a few more years anyways. My guess is ceiling of about 8 wins there.

I don?t see that happening. We may very well lose to the every time Leach plays them, but he won’t last seven years without notching several wins against them.

Dawgology
01-10-2020, 06:17 PM
Mike Leach is the next step in the natural evolution of our program. Jackie Sherrill (retired HC) pulled us out of the mire, Croom (coordinator) was a misstep, Mullen (coordinator) showed us what could be accomplished and raised our floor to bowl eligibility every year, Moorhead (coordinator) kept the trajectory moving but just lacked discipline, Leach (P5 Head Coach) is our first sitting head coach hire since this climb started. When he is successful it will prove a lot to the national media, recruits, and our fans. I believe he has potential to raise our floor once again (hopefully to 8-9 wins every season). I know there may be a season or two for adjustment but it WILL happen. It's a slow steady climb.

deadheaddawg
01-10-2020, 07:26 PM
Is their message board a good place to get honest accurate opinions oh him?

I say that because this place would be the worst place to get impartial, accurate opinions on Mullen.

I suspect most message boards are like that.

If you read this place right after Mullen left you would think the guy wasn't very good......and obviously he is. Mullen is a much better coach than most here gave him credit for when he was here

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-10-2020, 07:41 PM
Is their message board a good place to get honest accurate opinions oh him?

I say that because this place would be the worst place to get impartial, accurate opinions on Mullen.

I suspect most message boards are like that.

If you read this place right after Mullen left you would think the guy wasn't very good......and obviously he is. Mullen is a much better coach than most here gave him credit for when he was here

You're absolutely right they they (and we) exaggerate the flaws of coaches that leave us. However, of say State fans know Mullen better than any other fanbase in the country, even if we say his recruiting was worse than it was, for example. WSU fans know leach better than anyone and theres truth in those comments. just have to separate out the emotional from the truth