PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't sound like any on-field staff would be retained

Irondawg
01-10-2020, 04:00 PM
Thought Buck and Adams had a shot to hang around and maybe even Shoop but looks like we're cleaning house. Hopefully some of our off the field guys can stay in place.

Commercecomet24
01-10-2020, 04:01 PM
Probably for the best. I do hope we find a way to keep Hughes though, in some capacity.

defiantdog
01-10-2020, 04:04 PM
Probably for the best. I do hope we find a way to keep Hughes though, in some capacity.
Hughes will stay so he can keep that pension going..... it's only right. Plus, he's the local recruiter Leach needs to get acquainted with high school coaches. Now go to Starkville and get Rufus!

Commercecomet24
01-10-2020, 04:05 PM
Hughes will stay so he can keep that pension going..... it's only right. Plus, he's the local recruiter Leach needs to get acquainted with high school coaches. Now go to Starkville and get Rufus!

Tony's a good guy and good recruiter.

Really Clark?
01-10-2020, 04:07 PM

Love to keep Hughes and it’s possible they end up finding a spot for him but all the coaches have been told he is bringing in his own guys. Does look like all the recruiting off field assistants will stay and they will be expanding that area though.

Commercecomet24
01-10-2020, 04:09 PM
Love to keep Hughes and it’s possible they end up finding a spot for him but all the coaches have been told he is bringing in his own guys. Does look like all the recruiting off field assistants will stay and they will be expanding that area though.

Yep this is what's happening that's why I'm hoping we find a spot for Tony in some capacity, even it's off field. I know he loves coaching though but hope we can work something out.

defiantdog
01-10-2020, 04:10 PM
At least they're putting a heavy focus on recruiting

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 04:11 PM
I bet a few guys get the opportunity to interview

Really Clark?
01-10-2020, 04:12 PM
I bet a few guys get the opportunity to interview

I think some of this is boiling down to the DC and who he is bringing with him as well...then the door may open back up

LC Dawg
01-10-2020, 04:59 PM
Does Kiffin have a complete staff yet? If Hughes is not retained I could see him in Oxford. Tony was integral in the early years of Mullen in which he pretty much taught Mullen how to recruit in Mississippi. I hope Leach finds a way to keep him.

Really Clark?
01-10-2020, 05:04 PM
Does Kiffin have a complete staff yet? If Hughes is not retained I could see him in Oxford. Tony was integral in the early years of Mullen in which he pretty much taught Mullen how to recruit in Mississippi. I hope Leach finds a way to keep him.

One spot left maybe I think.

preachermatt83
01-10-2020, 05:07 PM
We need to do whatever it takes to keep Hughes

HaggardDawg
01-10-2020, 11:13 PM
I would think Leach has a soft spot and sees the need to keep Tony Hughes. Hughes did give his mentor, Hal Mumme, a job at JSU when he was fired at Belhaven. So there's that connection

Really Clark?
01-10-2020, 11:18 PM
I would think Leach has a soft spot and sees the need to keep Tony Hughes. Hughes did give his mentor, Hal Mumme, a job at JSU when he was fired at Belhaven. So there's that connection

Not sure that connection is very positive. But hope he does keep Hughes

TheRef
01-10-2020, 11:20 PM
T Buck needs to be kept as much as we can. He's a good coach and the players love him as well. He's a great recruiter as well.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-10-2020, 11:45 PM
T Buck needs to be kept as much as we can. He's a good coach and the players love him as well. He's a great recruiter as well.

Kids do love him but he's not a great recruiter or coach. He is solid at both.

DogsofAnarchy
01-11-2020, 12:21 AM
I’m sure the New DC is going to have a big say so in who stays. With that said, to change the culture you can’t keep many. Tony Hughes is definitely an asset to our program.

Spiderman
01-11-2020, 08:56 AM
I’m sure the New DC is going to have a big say so in who stays. With that said, to change the culture you can’t keep many. Tony Hughes is definitely an asset to our program.

Yep, and the only guys I'd trust to keep would have been on Mullen's staff because they know what the program is supposed to be.

Every staff change usually keeps one guy at least, unless it was just a total disaster and rebuild

BogeyGolfer
01-11-2020, 09:08 AM

Miss. High School coaches and administration change a lot in 10-15 years, a lot of the older coaches are retired...I'm not sure a complete clean slate is a bad thing.

HaggardDawg
01-11-2020, 09:12 AM
I don't think we realize how bad of a staff we had this past year. My NFL guy said the day before JoMo was fired that we should clean house. I mentioned it on here at the time but he said there's really no one we should keep except Tony. Not even T Buck. The only other coach he spoke highly of was Marcus Johnson, said he has a bright future. He said everyone else was a joke. Yes, literally everyone else. He said Shoop could go either way but wouldnt be the end of the world if he moved on. To summarize, he basically suggested we had 1 decent coach on either side of the ball and everyone else was a joke.

BogeyGolfer
01-11-2020, 09:21 AM
I don't think we realize how bad of a staff we had this past year. My NFL guy said the day before JoMo was fired that we should clean house. I mentioned it on here at the time but he said there's really no one we should keep except Tony. Not even T Buck. The only other coach he spoke highly of was Marcus Johnson, said he has a bright future. He said everyone else was a joke. Yes, literally everyone else. He said Shoop could go either way but wouldnt be the end of the world if he moved on. To summarize, he basically suggested we had 1 decent coach on either side of the ball and everyone else was a joke.

+1

Spiderman
01-11-2020, 09:22 AM

Shoop was a good coach. Nobody can say different, if they are being fair. I will say we had the weakest staff since Croom by far

msbulldog
01-11-2020, 05:48 PM
Miss. High School coaches and administration change a lot in 10-15 years, a lot of the older coaches are retired...I'm not sure a complete clean slate is a bad thing.

Tony Hughes knows the new ones too, he hasn't stopped recruiting Mississippi.