PDA

View Full Version : Dave Bartoo On Leach

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 10:43 AM
- Leach's career coach effect is +2 per season.
- If he maintains his career average at Mississippi State, he will average 8.5 wins per season
- Leach should consistently compete to be in the top 25 at MSU
- The uptick in the quality of athlete Leach will be coaching at MSU is about equal to the uptick in talent he will be facing.
- Bartoo believes Leach, comparatively, should have about the same success at MSU as he had at Wazzou & Texas Tech
- Gus Malzahn is now the worst play caller in the SEC West
- Leach was #1 on Bartoo's analytics report of best available coaches. Satterfield #2. #3 Patterson. #4 Brohm
- Charlie Strong is the best DC fit for Mike Leach according to Bartoo. Knows how to adapt defense to uptempo offense
- 2nd best fit for DC for Leach is Todd Orlando. Again, has experience with an uptempo offensive coach that makes the defense play more plays
- On Bartoo's scale Leach is about 3.5 games per year better than Lane Kiffin. With equal talent, Kiffin wins 5 games & Leach wins 8.5. Bartoo expects Leach to win every Egg Bowl vs Kiffin assuming talent is similar
- In next 4 Egg Bowls, Bartoo says he'd put money on Leach going at least 3-1

biscuit
01-10-2020, 10:46 AM
Quality of athletes is gonna make a HUGE difference....... TT and WSU had crap compared to what we have right now!!!

Weston M.
01-10-2020, 10:47 AM
I did the math last night:

In 18 years, Leach has averaged 7.72 wins and 5 losses a season and has has two teams with championship relevance/contention. In 9 years with MSU, Mullen averaged 7.6 wins and 5.1 losses per season with one team that was nationally relevant in exactly half the time. Statistically speaking, we hired the same results on the field if this holds true.

TrapGame
01-10-2020, 10:50 AM
Quality of athletes is gonna make a HUGE difference....... TT and WSU had crap compared to what we have right now!!!

They were talking about this very thing on ESPN radio last night. Said Leach walked into a gold mine at State w/ his coaching ability and our talent level it's going to be exciting. They talked about his 2* and 3* WRs that he turned into weapons.

BulldogDX55
01-10-2020, 10:52 AM

In 18 years, Leach has averaged 7.72 wins and 5 losses a season and has has two teams with championship relevance/contention. In 9 years with MSU, Mullen averaged 7.6 wins and 5.1 losses per season with one team that was nationally relevant in exactly half the time. Statistically speaking, we hired the same results on the field if this holds true.

And he did that with fewer resources at schools that are less relevant than we are, one of which had all the downsides of Starkville without the fertile recruiting grounds, SEC pitch, and absurd amount of resources.

Big4Dawg
01-10-2020, 10:55 AM
I can't find the interview on the app. Only goes back to yesterday

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 10:58 AM
I can't find the interview on the app. Only goes back to yesterday

It was just live. I typed as Bartoo was speaking

gravedigger
01-10-2020, 11:02 AM
- Leach's career coach effect is +2 per season. (if that means 2 wins, I'm skeptical he can know that or that data even supports it)
- If he maintains his career average at Mississippi State, he will average 8.5 wins per season (again)
- Leach should consistently compete to be in the top 25 at MSU (possibly, but this is a different animal with his defenses against the Sec west and east)
- The uptick in the quality of athlete Leach will be coaching at MSU is about equal to the uptick in talent he will be facing. (This is actually contrary to a 60 minutes interview that characterized his recruiting as doing with what he has. He's used to being out $$ and out recruited, but making do.)
- Bartoo believes Leach, comparatively, should have about the same success at MSU as he had at Wazzou & Texas Tech (essentially saying, nobody knows anything but past performance)
- Gus Malzahn is now the worst play caller in the SEC West (no mention of arkansas....again skeptical)
- Leach was #1 on Bartoo's analytics report of best available coaches (ok...no mention of Meyer.and what made Leach available?)
- Charlie Strong is the best DC fit for Mike Leach according to Bartoo. Knows how to adapt defense to uptempo offense (I'm good with that)
- 2nd best fit for DC for Leach is Todd Orlando. Again, has experience with an uptempo offensive coach that makes the defense play more plays (dont know anything about him.)

not trying to poo poo your post. I just think Bartoo is a typical stats junkie like myself and sees patterns at times where none logically exist.

Leach would seem to be motivated. As national media is saying, he's in the show now. I think he wants to prove that it can be sustained. I think State is a good place for him IF Cohen, Keenum and our vocal influencers can stand back and not take him too seriously. He's having fun doing what he's good at. I cant stand Donald Trump, but it doesnt bother me in the least that the two are good friends. It could become a point of contention if he goes too overboard. But I do like him. I think he's smart and can adapt what he does to what the SEC will require.

I do think Cohen should own this and also operate on the sole idea that Leach is here for 4 years and those who dont like it can kick whatever rocks they so choose between now and then barring some scandal. Give the man room to work. Give the man resources to win. Leave him alone.

If we get all up in our feelings as a fanbase everytime something doesnt go the way we thought it would and some firestorm of 'firethepirate.com' crops up you will see the same results as Moorhead. Leach needs to feel he's not on eggshells. That ship may have sailed though.

FISHDAWG
01-10-2020, 11:04 AM
Question - how many more can we sign in February ? Will Leach be here by then ? Wonder if he has any recruits in mind to bring along with him

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 11:07 AM
not trying to poo poo your post. I just think Bartoo is a typical stats junkie like myself and sees patterns at times where none logically exist.

Leach would seem to be motivated. As national media is saying, he's in the show now. I think he wants to prove that it can be sustained. I think State is a good place for him IF Cohen, Keenum and our vocal influencers can stand back and not take him too seriously. He's having fun doing what he's good at. I cant stand Donald Trump, but it doesnt bother me in the least that the two are good friends. It could become a point of contention if he goes too overboard. But I do like him. I think he's smart and can adapt what he does to what the SEC will require.

I do think Cohen should own this and also operate on the sole idea that Leach is here for 4 years and those who dont like it can kick whatever rocks they so choose between now and then barring some scandal. Give the man room to work. Give the man resources to win. Leave him alone.

If we get all up in our feelings as a fanbase everytime something doesnt go the way we thought it would and some firestorm of 'firethepirate.com' crops up you will see the same results as Moorhead. Leach needs to feel he's not on eggshells. That ship may have sailed though.

Just painting the entire picture. Bartoo often reflects the feelings of Vegas.

He mentioned Arkansas by talking about Briles

smootness
01-10-2020, 11:08 AM
Kendal Briles is at Arkansas. That's why Malzahn is the worst in the West.

Tbonewannabe
01-10-2020, 11:18 AM
I will say that Gus is usually pretty good if he has the right QB similar to Mullen. Mullen wasn't a great play caller when he had Tyler Russell. Gus was better with Marshall at QB than Stidham even though Stidham is a lot better QB.

Really Clark?
01-10-2020, 11:27 AM
I will say that Gus is usually pretty good if he has the right QB similar to Mullen. Mullen wasn't a great play caller when he had Tyler Russell. Gus was better with Marshall at QB than Stidham even though Stidham is a lot better QB.

I will say I thought Stidham would have killed it in Leach offense when he decided to transfer.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 11:29 AM
It's hilarious to hear Ole Miss fans trying to poo poo this hire on the radio. They come across as extremely stupid & uninformed with their points.

They know they hired a name & we hired a name + coach. They also know that we're about to go in dry on them

bigplayslay
01-10-2020, 11:34 AM
How do y'all feel about either Strong or Orlando? I know nothing about Orlando.

Why was Shoop not mentioned?

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 11:40 AM
How do y'all feel about either Strong or Orlando? I know nothing about Orlando.

Why was Shoop not mentioned?

Strong would be #1 due to his SEC history. He gets it.

The big thing is though is that Leach needs a DC that has experience working along side an offense that runs an inordinate amount of plays. It's puts the defense on the field more often & there is some strategy to that

CPADawg
01-10-2020, 11:48 AM
What did Bartoo say about keeping Shoop? Was there any discussion about if any current staff members would be a good fit for Leach's crew?

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 11:52 AM
What did Bartoo say about keeping Shoop? Was there any discussion about if any current staff members would be a good fit for Leach's crew?

Didn't mention Shoop or anyone else

TrapGame
01-10-2020, 11:55 AM
It's hilarious to hear Ole Miss fans trying to poo poo this hire on the radio. They come across as extremely stupid & uninformed with their points.

They know they hired a name & we hired a name + coach. They also know that we're about to go in dry on them

The dumb bastards that called into Jake Wim yesterday sounded like scared little bitches finding any little flaw they could.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 12:45 PM
The dumb bastards that called into Jake Wim yesterday sounded like scared little bitches finding any little flaw they could.

It's all they have.

Anyone with half a brain can wiki both coaches & realize really fast that they are in trouble unless they begin cheating their ass off on the recruiting trail again

Jack Lambert
01-10-2020, 01:58 PM
Worse case he does as good as Mullen.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-10-2020, 04:13 PM

It's worth noting that at State he will face 8 conference foes (who generally have a resource advantage) 1 P5 OOC we generally have a resourse advantage over, and 3 teams we should blow out.

At WSU, he faced 9 conference foes and 1 P5 OOC, almost all of whom had an advantage over him. Seriously at least we are peers with Arky OM and Kentucky as far as recruiting, WSU was the Vandy of the Pac.

He goes from 2 gimmies a year to 4. From 10 underdog/tossups games to 8.

Maroons
01-10-2020, 04:27 PM
The big thing is though is that Leach needs a DC that has experience working along side an offense that runs an inordinate amount of plays. It's puts the defense on the field more often & there is some strategy to that

Are there stats that back up this claim?

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2020, 04:39 PM
Are there stats that back up this claim?

Just going off what Bartoo says. I have no clue

gravedigger
01-10-2020, 08:02 PM

Shoop is not being kept.

maroonmania
01-10-2020, 09:13 PM
It's all they have.

Anyone with half a brain can wiki both coaches & realize really fast that they are in trouble unless they begin cheating their ass off on the recruiting trail again

Well I would have assumed they were planning on doing that regardless.