PDA

View Full Version : My random thoughts on Mike Leach

Todd4State
01-09-2020, 09:35 PM
We've made a hire like this before when we hired Emory Bellard who invented the wishbone. That turned out OK.

Mike Leach to me is in some ways perfect for Cohen because Leach will give Cohen the freedom to hire really high end assistants. To me, I think that may have been the deal breaker with Napier. And because Leach is an OC as well as HC that saves us money to overspend on a DC and other positions. I would definitely pay up on DC, ST coach, and S&C. Hopefully we get Feld for S&C. If Leach wants to keep Shoop I am fine with that.

I don't think Leach has ever been at a school with more resources. And he really comes at a good time as far as recruiting WR's go because the state has a ton of them next year. I'm excited to see what he can do with those resources.

And the best part- MSU has now won the press conference AND the Egg Bowl.

maroonmania
01-09-2020, 09:41 PM
Lack of recruiting killed Bellard's teams though. He was great when he first got to MSU with Tyler's players but faded after they rolled out of the program.
Certainly hope we don't have that issue under Leach who is supposedly not big on recruiting.

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 09:45 PM
Lack of recruiting killed Bellard's teams though. He was great when he first got to MSU with Tyler's players but faded after they rolled out of the program.
Certainly hope we don't have that issue under Leach who is supposedly not big on recruiting.

Leach gets killed for his recruiting but he raised Wazzou's recruiting profile by almost 20 spots over their traditional spot. That info isn't available for his TT days.

I don't expect a top 15 class with him, but it wouldn't shock me in the least if we pretty much stayed in the low to mid 20s.

Give Mike Leach that type of talent & he's going to do some damage

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 10:16 PM
We've made a hire like this before when we hired Emory Bellard who invented the wishbone. That turned out OK.

Mike Leach to me is in some ways perfect for Cohen because Leach will give Cohen the freedom to hire really high end assistants. To me, I think that may have been the deal breaker with Napier. And because Leach is an OC as well as HC that saves us money to overspend on a DC and other positions. I would definitely pay up on DC, ST coach, and S&C. Hopefully we get Feld for S&C. If Leach wants to keep Shoop I am fine with that.

I don't think Leach has ever been at a school with more resources. And he really comes at a good time as far as recruiting WR's go because the state has a ton of them next year. I'm excited to see what he can do with those resources.

And the best part- MSU has now won the press conference AND the Egg Bowl.

Emory did NOT turn out ok. He had one really good year and one more ok one, that was it. My years at MSU were his last four.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 10:18 PM
I had someone tell me what Leach's winning % against Top 50 defenses is. That is the type defenses he will see routinely in the SEC Any guesses?

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 10:20 PM
I had someone tell me what Leach's winning % against Top 50 defenses is. That is the type defenses he will see routinely in the SEC Any guesses?

Does he get to face those defenses with MSU or Washington State talent?

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 10:24 PM
Does he get to face those defenses with MSU or Washington State talent?

It was his lifetime % and do you think we have better air raid type talent at QB and wide receiver than them? I saw them play a lot.