PDA

View Full Version : DC Candidates

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2020, 09:01 PM
So who the hell are we going to hire? This will be the most important hire of the Leach era at MSU. Personally I'd throw a bunch of money at Alex Grinch to see if you could get him to come. Then you just continue down the line. We need a top DC and one that forces TO's. Our defense is going to be on the field a lot so any way to get them off would help.

msstate7
01-09-2020, 09:02 PM
Dawgstudent on sps heard we keeping shoop

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2020, 09:05 PM
I'm just not impressed with Shoop. If he stays I guess that's ok from a continuity standpoint since the calls wouldn't change. I just feel like we need some new blood on that side of the ball. We were just constantly out of position last year, especially in the secondary.

Coach34
01-09-2020, 09:07 PM
I heard Charlie Strong. Make that happen. Shoop is a good football coach and if we can keep continuity- I'm ok with that. But if we can grab strong? Hard to pass on it

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2020, 09:08 PM
I heard Charlie Strong. Make that happen. Shoop is a good football coach and if we can keep continuity- I'm ok with that. But if we can grab strong? Hard to pass on it

Now that'd be interesting. Strong recruiting ties in the South and always had an impressive attacking D at Florida. Also doesn't hurt he absolutely hates Ole Miss.

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2020, 09:08 PM
Dawgstudent on sps heard we keeping shoop

That would be a solid move. Shoop aint perfect but he is pretty good.

If I could pick one it would be Grantham. Tim DeRuyter at Cal would also be a good one. Andy Avalos at Oregon. Bryan Brown and Adam Fuller would be good hires

Mobile Bay
01-09-2020, 09:09 PM
Keep Shoop for the continuity. Hell keep the whole defensive crew if Shoop says ok. Defense has not been our real problem except against Auburn.

yjnkdawg
01-09-2020, 09:12 PM
Hopefully Cohen gave him around $5 mil or so for his staff. Never heard any amount other than what Napier supposedly wanted. Strong would be a great get. Shoop would be fine too.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-09-2020, 09:15 PM

HARD pass from me. Dude hasnt been a DC since '09, literally 11 years from actually having to have a system that keeps up with modern Os.

He failed HARD at Texas and turned a really stacked USF team into a 4-8 dumpster fire by year 3.

I dont trust him even to just run the D by himself after he failed that bad at running a whole football team.

Shoop is a really good DC. Venables or Aranda couldnt have done more with that '18 D than Shoop did

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-09-2020, 09:18 PM
Now that'd be interesting. Strong recruiting ties in the South and always had an impressive attacking D at Florida. Also doesn't hurt he absolutely hates Ole Miss.

Those Ds at UF were over a decade ago. The incoming Fr class was 6 when he was last a DC. Given how bad he failed to learn and adapt as a HC I worry he failed to learn and adapt his knowledge of how to stop modern Os too. The game is different now, are his Ds? I dont want to be the ginnie pig that finds out

deadheaddawg
01-09-2020, 09:24 PM
Strong is intriguing.....but kinda risky I think. Some parallels to Leach being hired. Big upside, but some questions.

And personally I rather not take a gamble on DC for Leach.....I'd like the continuity of Shoop. He's proven. And knows us and we know him.

Don't get me wrong, strong would be a good pick up, but personally I'd rather have shoop

dawgday166
01-09-2020, 09:26 PM
Shoop for me if he will stay. I think he's pretty good.

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2020, 09:26 PM
If we're only keeping Shoop for continuity then we need to move on. If we're keeping him because we think he's a top flight D coordinator then by all means keep him.

dawgday166
01-09-2020, 09:28 PM
If we're only keeping Shoop for continuity then we need to move on. If we're keeping him because we think he's a top flight D coordinator then by all means keep him.

I'm not wanting him for continuity. I think he's one of top 5 or so DCs in country.

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2020, 09:32 PM
I'm not wanting him for continuity. I think he's one of top 5 or so DCs in country.

Top 5 might be a stretch, but I'm not trying to bash Shoop here. I think he's a solid DC, I just think it might be time to move in another direction with a new coach coming in.

dawgday166
01-09-2020, 09:35 PM
Top 5 might be a stretch, but I'm not trying to bash Shoop here. I think he's a solid DC, I just think it might be time to move in another direction with a new coach coming in.

So I've been more impressed with Shoop than Aranda. Venebles is #1 IMO. I think Shoop is better than Grantham. Kirby is the straw that stirs Ga DC. Name me some names you think are better?

dogsbynineteej
01-09-2020, 09:37 PM
So who the hell are we going to hire? This will be the most important hire of the Leach era at MSU. Personally I'd throw a bunch of money at Alex Grinch to see if you could get him to come. Then you just continue down the line. We need a top DC and one that forces TO's. Our defense is going to be on the field a lot so any way to get them off would help.

I agree! Lets throw a lot of money Alex Grinch's way!

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2020, 09:45 PM
So I've been more impressed with Shoop than Aranda. Venebles is #1 IMO. I think Shoop is better than Grantham. Kirby is the straw that stirs Ga DC. Name me some names you think are better?

Arranda is definitely better. I'll have to disagree with you on that one. But Kevin Steele at Auburn, Jim Leonhard at Wisconsin, Andy Avalos at Oregon, and I'd probably add Pete Golding at Bama to the list although it's sometimes hard to tell if that's more Saban's scheme and their athletes or the D coordinators.

BiscuitEater
01-09-2020, 09:47 PM
Keep Shoop for the continuity. Hell keep the whole defensive crew if Shoop says ok. Defense has not been our real problem except against Auburn.

Did you miss the Bowl game? Defense was a shit show!

West Tn Dawg
01-09-2020, 09:52 PM
We hired Leach to be head coach and make these decisions. I'm good with who ever he decides on........at least for a year.

dawgday166
01-09-2020, 09:55 PM
Arranda is definitely better. I'll have to disagree with you on that one. But Kevin Steele at Auburn, Jim Leonhard at Wisconsin, Andy Avalos at Oregon, and I'd probably add Pete Golding at Bama to the list although it's sometimes hard to tell if that's more Saban's scheme and their athletes or the D coordinators.

No offense but Pete Golding sucks IMO. Bama worse than it's ever been on D. Kevin Steele has great games, then very bad games and they have a lot of talent on D at AU last 3 years. Avalos ... meh.

Arranda almost on a par but ... if you take out Shoop's bad culture years at TN (2) and this past one he's better (although it's a tight race). You can go look at the stats. Arranda has had good Ds at LSU but underachieving a little with that talent down there. He was on par with Shoop when Shoop was at PSU and Aranda was at Wisky.

None of them have had a #1 D I don't think.

BTW: Only Shoop and Aranda have had #2 Ds out of that group. So Shoop has had a #1 and a #2 D at two different places.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-09-2020, 10:01 PM
Did you miss the Bowl game? Defense was a shit show!

Did you miss Bamas D vs Auburn? Or LSUs D vs Ole Miss?

One bad game does not a bad coordinator make

TrapGame
01-09-2020, 10:01 PM
Keeping Shoop is good. There are far worse DCs out there we can wind up with.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-09-2020, 10:05 PM
No offense but Pete Golding sucks IMO. Bama worse than it's ever been on D. Kevin Steele has great games, then very bad games and they have a lot of talent on D at AU last 3 years. Avalos ... meh.

Arranda almost on a par but ... if you take Shoop's bad culture years at TN (2) and this past one he's better (although it's a tight race). You can go look at the stats. Arranda has had good Ds at LSU but underachieving a little with that talent down there. He was on par with Shoop when Shoop was at PSU and Aranda was at Wisky.

None of them have had a #1 D I don't think.

I completely agree with you. Steel and Aranda have top 10 talent every year but never seem to have a truly elite D like shoop did in 18. Moreover they have more games where the D just sucks for no reason.

Remember last year when we ran the ball down Auburns throat? Motioning Hill from the Slot to the backfield had them confused all night. Aranda never did figure out Plumlee.

Shoop crapped the bed vs UL. That's the only truly bad game in 2 seasons from a pure coaching standpoint

deadheaddawg
01-09-2020, 10:05 PM

It's actually both

dawgday166
01-09-2020, 10:10 PM
I completely agree with you. Steel and Aranda have top 10 talent every year but never seem to have a truly elite D like shoop did in 18. Moreover they have more games where the D just sucks for no reason.

Remember last year when we ran the ball down Auburns throat? Motioning Hill from the Slot to the backfield had them confused all night. Aranda never did figure out Plumlee.

Shoop crapped the bed vs UL. That's the only truly bad game in 2 seasons from a pure coaching standpoint

Shoop had some other bad games this year but I'm chalking it up to tutorgate, being in horrible physical condition, and youth + injuries on the backend. And Shoop's D has spent 2 years being on the field for 35 or 40 mins every damn game cause our O goes 3 and out half the damn time and puts them in bad field position too at that. Shoop had some reasons IMO. The D guys also eventually get tired of carrying the whole damn load all the time.

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2020, 10:11 PM

La Lafayette, K-State, Auburn, A&M, Louisville.......that's 5 games just this year that Shoop's D was terrible. I might could write off Auburn because we were terrible everywhere that night.

Big4Dawg
01-09-2020, 10:16 PM
Here is a candidate:

https://www.packers.com/team/coaches-roster/mike-smith

Some guy on 247: Just got off a shuttle in Breck with a guy who congratulated me on the Leach hire (saw my State sweater). He said he we'd like our DC hire. I asked for a name, and he said he wasn't at liberty to reveal... but he pointed to his GB Packers hat. So I'm guessing someone from the GB staff.

msstate7
01-09-2020, 10:19 PM
I'm with dawgday... keep shoop if possible

NWADAWG
01-09-2020, 10:19 PM
I'm just not impressed with Shoop. If he stays I guess that's ok from a continuity standpoint since the calls wouldn't change. I just feel like we need some new blood on that side of the ball. We were just constantly out of position last year, especially in the secondary.

If Shoop is working for a head coach that actually demands respect and performance, both Shoop and the defense may take a step up.

HoopsDawg
01-09-2020, 10:20 PM
I'm with dawgday... keep shoop if possible

What happened to McIntyre. Loved him at Colorado and he did a great job with a talentless Ole Miss team this year.

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2020, 10:21 PM
If Shoop is working for a head coach that actually demands respect and performance, both Shoop and the defense may take a step up.

Good point. Again, as I stated earlier, I'm not against keeping him. I just don't want us to keep him only for the sake of continuity.

Big4Dawg
01-09-2020, 10:21 PM
What happened to McIntyre. Loved him at Colorado and he did a great job with a talentless Ole Miss team this year.

Memphis I think

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2020, 10:22 PM

Became Memphis DC today. Great hire by Silverfield.

msstate7
01-09-2020, 10:22 PM

Now that's a good suggestion. He did one hell of a job this year

dawgday166
01-09-2020, 10:24 PM

McIntyre did good job and impressed me. With not much talent.

HoopsDawg
01-09-2020, 10:26 PM
Memphis I think

Damn it. Our staff hires this late in the game concern me. At least the coaches convention hasn't happened yet.

Todd4State
01-09-2020, 10:31 PM

Shoop was missing a lot of players for much of nine games including the Music City Bowl. When he had the mostly full compliment we were pretty good.

Bothrops
01-10-2020, 12:29 AM
I'd keep Shoop if possible.

Irondawg
01-10-2020, 12:47 AM
Shoop has been a little up and down but I’d be fine with giving him another year. He’s also gold in press conferences and you’ll notice he was only made available once this year. Guess they we were worried he’d say something he shouldn’t.

The one he did have late in the year you could tell he was very frustrated

Behrdawg
01-10-2020, 12:55 AM
Hopefully Cohen gave him around $5 mil or so for his staff. Never heard any amount other than what Napier supposedly wanted. Strong would be a great get. Shoop would be fine too.

I've heard $4.5 and $5m for staff. I believe the entire package is $10m per year.

defiantdog
01-10-2020, 01:00 AM
I've heard $4.5 and $5m for staff. I believe the entire package is $10m per year.

Let's give Feld $1 million of that and lock him down

StarkVegasSteve
01-10-2020, 09:00 AM
Let's give Feld $1 million of that and lock him down

Cochran only makes around 700K. We can give Feld 500K and make him one of the top paid S&C guys. No need to overpay that much.