PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the new hire

Coach34
01-09-2020, 07:00 PM
Leach is a splash hire. Leach is a good football coach. Leach vs Kiffin is prime must-see TV on its own- but especially after JoVester vs Luke being like watching paint dry.

That said- I dont think Leach is a good fit for Miss State. There is going to have to be major roster change over the next couple of years on the offensive side of the ball. We have 4 TE's- Leach doesnt even know what a TE is. We have some road-grating guys on the OL- got to bring in more balanced OL guys because drive blocking is no longer a requirement. Got to bring in the right QB's and better have a 2nd one ready because the SEC is going to hit them. Ask SC, Fla, Kentucky, Bama, Mizzou, and yes, even Miss State about SEC defenses hitting the QB just in 2019. Almost half the conference lost their starting QB's for the season or multiple games. Going 5 wide has its penalties in the SEC.

I've seen the LSU comparison. Stop being ridiculous. LSU has draft picks at WR- We have guys like Austin Williams. I promise you what they have running their O is miles ahead of what we have. Also- LSU is 60th in the country in rushing with over 2,300 yards rushing. Wash State has finished 129th out of 130 in the country in rushing for the 3 straight seasons. 2 times never making it to 1,000 yards. That doesnt work down here guys. The upside? We have new WR's coming in that could help- and unlike JoVester where you need a Master's degree to learn the offense- The Pirate's O is much easier to learn so the new guys should integrate faster.

Leach is going to learn some tough lessons in Year 1 of SEC football. But he is a good coach- we know that- so his success at State will be determined what he does in Years 2 and 3. JoVester didnt learn and make the necessary changes. Does Leach?

gtowndawg
01-09-2020, 07:06 PM
Question: Will lineman be asked to lose weight to pass block better?

dawgs
01-09-2020, 07:07 PM
"Ask SC, Fla, Kentucky, Bama, Mizzou, and yes, even Miss State about SEC defenses hitting the QB just in 2019. Almost half the conference lost their starting QB's for the season or multiple games."

So what you are saying is that no matter who we hired we might lose our QB to injury.

Also, leach's offense gets rid of the ball quick to minimize the effectiveness of pash rushers. Bubble screens, swing passes, etc. are used to make them hesitate. His offense isn't designed for the QB to sit back for 5 seconds with 5 WRs running around and no blocking help.

dawgday166
01-09-2020, 07:07 PM
It's gonna be interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Irondawg
01-09-2020, 07:08 PM
Fair questions and will be interesting to see how he uses the transfer portal and all the position battles on offense. Can he find a homerun hitter at WR to make it go and can he adjust the offense to compensate for the speed of SEC defenses? That was a big problem with Joe it seemed.

But a great point about the complexity of the offense. I've heard it's one of the easiest to learn which is good for us as it seems we struggled with more complex assignments. All of his offense rest on the decision making of the QB though so we'll see which one(s) we have can actually read a defense or not now.

Churchill
01-09-2020, 07:10 PM
Same here coach...I am skeptical at best.

Quaoarsking
01-09-2020, 07:11 PM
For over a decade Coach34 has insisted that Leach is awful. Glad to see him cautiously climbing aboard.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 07:16 PM
Leach is a splash hire. Leach is a good football coach. Leach vs Kiffin is prime must-see TV on its own- but especially after JoVester vs Luke being like watching paint dry.

That said- I dont think Leach is a good fit for Miss State. There is going to have to be major roster change over the next couple of years on the offensive side of the ball. We have 4 TE's- Leach doesnt even know what a TE is. We have some road-grating guys on the OL- got to bring in more balanced OL guys because drive blocking is no longer a requirement. Got to bring in the right QB's and better have a 2nd one ready because the SEC is going to hit them. Ask SC, Fla, Kentucky, Bama, Mizzou, and yes, even Miss State about SEC defenses hitting the QB just in 2019. Almost half the conference lost their starting QB's for the season or multiple games. Going 5 wide has its penalties in the SEC.

I've seen the LSU comparison. Stop being ridiculous. LSU has draft picks at WR- We have guys like Austin Williams. I promise you what they have running their O is miles ahead of what we have. Also- LSU is 60th in the country in rushing with over 2,300 yards rushing. Wash State has finished 129th out of 130 in the country in rushing for the 3 straight seasons. 2 times never making it to 1,000 yards. That doesnt work down here guys. The upside? We have new WR's coming in that could help- and unlike JoVester where you need a Master's degree to learn the offense- The Pirate's O is much easier to learn so the new guys should integrate faster.

Leach is going to learn some tough lessons in Year 1 of SEC football. But he is a good coach- we know that- so his success at State will be determined what he does in Years 2 and 3. JoVester didnt learn and make the necessary changes. Does Leach?

Very good post.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 07:17 PM
Fair questions and will be interesting to see how he uses the transfer portal and all the position battles on offense. Can he find a homerun hitter at WR to make it go and can he adjust the offense to compensate for the speed of SEC defenses? That was a big problem with Joe it seemed.

But a great point about the complexity of the offense. I've heard it's one of the easiest to learn which is good for us as it seems we struggled with more complex assignments. All of his offense rest on the decision making of the QB though so we'll see which one(s) we have can actually read a defense or not now.

As of now we only have what, 5 spots?

Coach34
"Ask SC, Fla, Kentucky, Bama, Mizzou, and yes, even Miss State about SEC defenses hitting the QB just in 2019. Almost half the conference lost their starting QB's for the season or multiple games."

So what you are saying is that no matter who we hired we might lose our QB to injury.

Also, leach's offense gets rid of the ball quick to minimize the effectiveness of pash rushers. Bubble screens, swing passes, etc. are used to make them hesitate. His offense isn't designed for the QB to sit back for 5 seconds with 5 WRs running around and no blocking help.

Leach has been coaching in the Big12 and Pac-12 where they play alot of zone defense. You can throw quick there. The SEC is gonna be in your ass man to f'ing man. Where you gonna throw it quick? I'm not telling you what I think- I'm telling you what I know

Santiago
Leach is a quick drop back and let it go. Defenses will get frustrated trying to get to his QB's

defiantdog
01-09-2020, 07:20 PM
Leach has been coaching in the Big12 and Pac-12 where they play alot of zone defense. You can throw quick there. The SEC is gonna be in your ass man to f'ing man. Where you gonna throw it quick? I'm not telling you what I think- I'm telling you what I know

It's been a while but he's coached in the SEC

dawgday166
01-09-2020, 07:21 PM
Very good post.

Strange bedfellows LOL.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 07:22 PM

Yep.

defiantdog
01-09-2020, 07:23 PM
Strange bedfellows LOL.

We're in trouble..... Liverpool and C34 are on the same page

OLJWales
01-09-2020, 07:23 PM
He's got a track record of resurrecting teams from a pile of shit to making them winners. It's gonna be interesting to see what happens when this guy is gonna have access to more physical athletes than he has ever had at his disposal.

some of you are such dumbasses that you would give credit to a MSU coach who beat a high school team and trash the h.s. coach for not making the game competitive.

case in point: all of you dumbasses who were skeptical of BN because he lost by 10 to State. what dumbasses you are.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 07:25 PM
It's been a while but he's coached in the SEC

He left too.

dawgday166
01-09-2020, 07:26 PM

We screwed now **

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 07:29 PM

LOL. We don't always see eye to eye but 34 does know a little bit about football. I actually agreed with most of what he said about Joe this year as well. Y'all didn't notice I wasn't arguing with him much, if any.

cujo
01-09-2020, 07:30 PM
Cohen called him a savant on Matt Wyatt today. We’re doomed.

dawgday166
01-09-2020, 07:30 PM
I'll add something ... gonna find out if Leach can work it in SEC. Spidey vs C34?

We oughtta have a BYA on this.

defiantdog
01-09-2020, 07:31 PM
He left too.

Because he got a raise to work for Stoops. Don't make it sound like he failed and got canned. Dude did wonders for Tim Couch at Kentucky. He may not make it here, but don't call him a failure already. But I keep forgetting..... You loved JoMo who let two of our star players get in a fight.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 07:32 PM
Cohen called him a savant on Matt Wyatt today. We?re doomed.

Did he really? I'm pretty sure I've heard Cohen use those words about another football coach.

Coach34
01-09-2020, 07:33 PM
Leach is a quick drop back and let it go. Defenses will get frustrated trying to get to his QB's

They do? Leach's 1st 6 years as Washington State (which wasnt even playing against SEC Defenses):

2012- Allowed the most sacks in the country with 57
2013- 94th in the country
2014- 105th in the country
2015- 117th in the country
2016- 82nd in the country
2017- 126th in the country

He's done much better the last 2 seasons with an NFL talent in Minshew and another SR QB- but his time at Wash State screams the QB is going to take an asswhoopin in the SEC

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 07:35 PM
Because he got a raise to work for Stoops. Don't make it sound like he failed and got canned. Dude did wonders for Tim Couch at Kentucky. He may not make it here, but don't call him a failure already. But I keep forgetting..... You loved JoMo who let two of our star players get in a fight.

I didn't say that. I'm saying he left. That does NOT mean he got canned. Don't put words in my mouth. You are dead wrong about what I thought about JOMO too. You didn't see me defending him this year. I'm not surprised you missed that.

Coach34
01-09-2020, 07:36 PM
and let's not forget the asswhoopin OM put on him in the Cotton Bowl when he was at Texas Tech. They were working hard to get to double digit sacks that day

dawgday166
01-09-2020, 07:37 PM
Cohen called him a savant on Matt Wyatt today. We?re doomed.

Surely not ... dammit JC.

dantheman4248
01-09-2020, 07:39 PM
They do? Leach's 1st 6 years as Washington State (which wasnt even playing against SEC Defenses):

He's done much better the last 2 seasons with an NFL talent in Minshew and another SR QB- but his time at Wash State screams the QB is going to take an asswhoopin in the SEC

I'm curious what the sack rate percentage was on that. I feel like that's a better measure of who's doing more with their pass protection setup and quick timing with QBs. A team that has a 10% sack rate and throws 50 times a game will outpace a team that throws 20 times a game with a 20% sack rate.

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 07:39 PM
I mean, we won 6 with Joe and a suspended team. How much worse can Leach's offense be than Joe's?

Coach34
01-09-2020, 07:41 PM
I mean, we won 6 with Joe and a suspended team. How much worse can Leach's offense be than Joe's?

Imagine having to play 20 more plays per game on D because of incomplete passes stopping the clock? It can always get worse.

Turfdawg67
He's been in the SEC, he knows what he has to do, and he wanted to come back! With a decent D and good recruiting, watch out!

ShotgunDawg
I'll be curious if Leach uses the RB more due to our personnel.

The key here though is that he's a good football coach and good football coaches figure it out. He'll be fine.

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 07:42 PM
Imagine having to play 20 more plays per game on D because of incomplete passes stopping the clock? It can always get worse.

True. I just see more upside here. I do hope he adapts a little and used some of Lincoln Riley's rum concepts.

Turfdawg67
01-09-2020, 07:44 PM
and let's not forget the asswhoopin OM put on him in the Cotton Bowl when he was at Texas Tech. They were working hard to get to double digit sacks that day

This shit is gonna be unbearable for the next 5-10 years.

ETA... C34s comments, not Leach's success.

Coursesuper
01-09-2020, 07:45 PM
I'll be curious if Leach uses the RB more due to our personnel.

The key here though is that he's a good football coach and good football coaches figure it out. He'll be fine.

I'm not saying he's not a good football coach, but he's a system guy much like the last guy. He's going to sink or swim with his system. So take that for what it's worth.

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 07:46 PM
I hope many of your don't miss the forest for the trees here.

Yes, we all have questions about his scheme in the SEC but let's not forget that he's been to a bowl game 16 of 18 years. That tells me that the regardless of his "system" the man knows how to run a sustainable football program. That's huge considering Moorhead did not.

Don't miss that

Turfdawg67
01-09-2020, 07:47 PM
I'll add something ... gonna find out if Leach can work it in SEC. Spidey vs C34?

We oughtta have a BYA on this.

34 agrees with Liverpool... hahahahaha!!

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 07:47 PM
I'm not saying he's not a good football coach, but he's a system guy much like the last guy. He's going to sink or swim with his system. So take that for what it's worth.

I'm pretty sure that's every coach.

He's been to 16 of 18 bowl games. He knows what he's doing

Turfdawg67
01-09-2020, 07:49 PM

He'll run his system when he has the players. Until then, and unlike JoMo, he'll adapt.

BuckyIsAB****

I watch SEC games every weekend, so do you... and teams are throwing perimeter game on every single drive. You are over exaggerating this

msstate7

Sacks per pass att would be a better measure bc of the sheer number of passes. In 2017, they gave up 44 sacks with 713 att, which is 1 sack every 16.2 passes. In 2018, that dropped to 1 sack every 52.1 passes. In 2019, it was 1 sack every 35.5 passes.

Coach34
I'm behind the guy- he is a good football coach. I'm just very skeptical of it working

gulf coast bandit 2
01-09-2020, 07:50 PM
It is amazing how you can try to destroy a person before he has coached one game. I see that you know so much about stopping his offense. Are you a college coach at the division one level?

Percho
01-09-2020, 07:50 PM
Some coach on PF show today said it was a home run hire but for his offense to work against the good SEC defenses you needed a good receiving tight end.

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2020, 07:51 PM
LOL. We don't always see eye to eye but 34 does know a little bit about football. I actually agreed with most of what he said about Joe this year as well. Y'all didn't notice I wasn't arguing with him much, if any.

Liverpool you dont know a cleat from a FG. Give it a rest. Im not arguing with 34 Im arguing with the guy who literally comes up with every excuse imaginable for proven losers, then gets what the fanbase wants and hates it.

Coach34
01-09-2020, 07:52 PM
Sacks per pass att would be a better measure bc of the sheer number of passes. In 2017, they gave up 44 sacks with 713 att, which is 1 sack every 16.2 passes. In 2018, that dropped to 1 sack every 52.1 passes. In 2019, it was 1 sack every 35.5 passes.

I understand that- but they werent playing against SEC defenses. That also has to be factored in and you cant really do that. His sack rate was pretty high his 1st 6 years- and it will be here at State early on for sure

Nutriaitch
01-09-2020, 07:54 PM

sack rate does matter when grading pass protection overall.

but when talking about sheer number of hits your QB takes (which i think is what he meant by asswhoopin), then just sacks alone tells the bigger tale.

preachermatt83
01-09-2020, 07:55 PM
Even great minds like me and C34 disagree at times. Leach is one of the best coaches in America. Period. And we needed something different here to be able to win big.

DownwardDawg
01-09-2020, 07:57 PM
This may not last 3 years. I hope the buyout isn?t too much.

Coursesuper
I'm pretty sure that's every coach.

He's been to 16 of 18 bowl games. He knows what he's doing

Look I'm not against the guy, I'm just not going to jump up and down about anyone. All that matters is what's in front of us and we will see how it goes.

BuckyIsAB****
I understand that- but they werent playing against SEC defenses. That also has to be factored in and you cant really do that. His sack rate was pretty high his 1st 6 years- and it will be here at State early on for sure

34 they have one pass protection. It can be taught and learned in a little over a week. How hard can it possibly be? I did not know the sack numbers were so high

msstate7
01-09-2020, 07:58 PM
sack rate does matter when grading pass protection overall.

but when talking about sheer number of hits your QB takes (which i think is what he meant by asswhoopin), then just sacks alone tells the bigger tale.

C34 left off 2018 and 2019. In 2018, WSU was 8th nationally in sacks allowed and 28th in 2019 despite leading the country both years in pass attempts

Percho
01-09-2020, 08:00 PM

The difference in that game Penalties 2-15 8-62

OM was the 2 for 15

Cooterpoot
01-09-2020, 08:00 PM
C34 hit it on the head. Nothing else to say about it.

Percho
01-09-2020, 08:02 PM

How did the QB's of the good old days aver finish a game let alone a season. Remember when they were open game?

dawgday166
01-09-2020, 08:05 PM
He'll run his system when he has the players Will. Until then, and unlike JoMo, he'll adapt.

Don't know that yet IMO. Spidey, who probably knows more about him than anyone says that probably ain't so. So this could be a crash and burn deal ... but there was no doubt Joe was.

He may have to adapt and if so, he'll probably be very good. He is definitely IMO a more with less guy where Joe was a less with more guy.

Coach34
01-09-2020, 08:06 PM
C34 left off 2018 and 2019. In 2018, WSU was 8th nationally in sacks allowed and 28th in 2019 despite leading the country both years in pass attempts

When he had an NFL QB and an experienced Sr QB after being in the program for 6 years. And not playing against SEC defenses. Just 3 seasons ago was top 5 worst in the country

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 08:07 PM

I've always thought the main reason Leach has not had good defenses is his offense.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 08:09 PM

I don't think he has ever changed his system.

vv83
01-09-2020, 08:10 PM
Even great minds like me and C34 disagree at times. Leach is one of the best coaches in America. Period. And we needed something different here to be able to win big.

I don’t mean this snarky but why do you think he’s one of the best coaches in America? He’s been stuck at a bottom half Pac12 team for al,ost 10 years. If he’s such an amazing coach why wasn’t he hired by a bigger program first?

chef dixon
01-09-2020, 08:10 PM
He will get better defensive athletes here than his previous 2 places at least.

One thing I do like about him is this may be his last stop so not sure we have to worry about him leaving after having success.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 08:12 PM
I'm behind the guy- he is a good football coach. I'm just very skeptical of it working

Same here. I'm behind the program as always. I really hope it works and will be very happy if I'm wrong.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-09-2020, 08:13 PM
Look, Leaches offense is simple, easy to teach, easy to execute, supposedly doesnt need elite athletes to work... and yet...

Nobody is running his O. Theyll run air raid "concepts" like most teams run option "concepts", but not many teams run the air raid or the option. They find a balance

I gotta ask, why does nobody run the pure air raid? It's simple, which leads me to believe the way to stop it is simple. I worry SEC DCs will figure that formula out and Leach will be too stubborn to make even simple adjustments.

I'm no expert, but it seems like 4 down, 1 QB spy, 1 RB spy, man to man with 2 S overtop would shut down the air raid pretty quick unless you've got WRs that can win jump balls or burn their man on crossers.

What am I missing here?

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 08:14 PM
Liverpool you dont know a cleat from a FG. Give it a rest. Im not arguing with 34 Im arguing with the guy who literally comes up with every excuse imaginable for proven losers, then gets what the fanbase wants and hates it.

You are another one that never noticed I never defended Joe this year. It's why I don't care what you think about me. I find it hilarious.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 08:15 PM
34 they have one pass protection. It can be taught and learned in a little over a week. How hard can it possibly be? I did not know the sack numbers were so high

ONE pass protection?

dawgday166
01-09-2020, 08:16 PM
FWIW ... his best 2 years at WSU were 2017 and 2018:

2017 - Total offense 33, Total defense 16
2018 - Total offense 27, Total defense 42

Don't know what to make of this cause it's really apples to oranges where he was playing vs SEC. Talent is different types of talent for most part on the lines. Getting quality Dlinemen and Olinemen for that matter is probably a significant challenge at WSU.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 08:17 PM
This may not last 3 years. I hope the buyout isn?t too much.

We won't be buying him out for at least 4 years.

Quaoarsking
01-09-2020, 08:19 PM
I don-t mean this snarky but why do you think he-s one of the best coaches in America- He-s been stuck at a bottom half Pac12 team for almost 10 years. If he-s such an amazing coach why wasn-t he hired by a bigger program first-

No?

Washington State Cougars (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_State_Cougars_football) (Pac-12 Conference (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-12_Conference)) (2012-2019)

2012 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Washington State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Washington_State_Cougars_football_team)
3-9
1-8
6th (North)

2013 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Washington State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Washington_State_Cougars_football_team)
6-7
4-5
T-4th (North)
L New Mexico (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_New_Mexico_Bowl)

2014 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Washington State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Washington_State_Cougars_football_team)
3-9
2-7
T-5th (North)

2015 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Washington State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Washington_State_Cougars_football_team)
9-4
6-3
3rd (North)
W Sun (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Sun_Bowl)

2016 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Washington State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Washington_State_Cougars_football_team)
8-5
7-2
2nd (North)
L Holiday (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Holiday_Bowl)

2017 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Washington State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Washington_State_Cougars_football_team)
9-4
6-3
3rd (North)
L Holiday (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Holiday_Bowl)

2018 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Washington State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Washington_State_Cougars_football_team)
11-2
7-2
T-1st (North)
W Alamo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Alamo_Bowl)

2019 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Washington State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Washington_State_Cougars_football_team)
6-7
3-6
T-5th (North)
L Cheez-It (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Cheez-It_Bowl)

And remember that his predecessor won 6 FBS games in 4 years, so that's the reason he's only 16/18 making bowls instead of 18/18.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 08:19 PM
How did the QB's of the good old days aver finish a game let alone a season. Remember when they were open game?

If you are talking about the REAL good old days, they didn't get hit as much. RBs got the heck beat out of them.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-09-2020, 08:20 PM
FWIW ... his best 2 years at WSU were 2017 and 2018:

2017 - Total offense 33, Total defense 16
2018 - Total offense 27, Total defense 42

Don't know what to make of this cause it's really apples to oranges where he was playing vs SEC. Talent is different types of talent for most part on the lines. Getting quality Dlinemen and Olinemen for that matter is probably a significant challenge at WSU.

The thing I make of it is that the "great O horrible D" narrative isnt accurate. He can be balanced

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 08:21 PM
No?

Washington State Cougars (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_State_Cougars_football) (Pac-12 Conference (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-12_Conference)) (2012-2019)

Washington State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Washington_State_Cougars_football_team)
3-9
1-8
6th (North)

Washington State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Washington_State_Cougars_football_team)
6-7
4-5
T-4th (North)

Washington State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Washington_State_Cougars_football_team)
3-9
2-7
T-5th (North)

Washington State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Washington_State_Cougars_football_team)
9-4
6-3
3rd (North)

Washington State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Washington_State_Cougars_football_team)
8-5
7-2
2nd (North)

Washington State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Washington_State_Cougars_football_team)
9-4
6-3
3rd (North)

Washington State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Washington_State_Cougars_football_team)
11-2
7-2
T-1st (North)

Washington State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Washington_State_Cougars_football_team)
6-7
3-6
T-5th (North)

Hopefully the SEC West will be as bad as the PAC North the next few years.

lastmajordog
01-09-2020, 08:22 PM
Great C34....I just don?t see this a good hire long term......hope I?m wrong....BTW...I really like and appreciate Leach......but om beat him handily in the cotton bowl if memory serves......

vv83
01-09-2020, 08:27 PM
No?

3-9
1-8
6th (North)

6-7
4-5
T-4th (North)

3-9
2-7
T-5th (North)

9-4
6-3
3rd (North)

8-5
7-2
2nd (North)

9-4
6-3
3rd (North)

11-2
7-2
T-1st (North)

6-7
3-6
T-5th (North)

And remember that his predecessor won 6 FBS games in 4 years, so that's the reason he's only 16/18 making bowls instead of 18/18.

I don’t... what does any of that have anything to do with my question...?

Nutriaitch
01-09-2020, 08:36 PM
so as an outsider here is my take on y?all hire (not that y?all actually care).

first off i?ll say that i have absolutely no clue whether or not this will work.
I won?t pretend to know enough about your current roster, incoming class, or future recruiting prospects to be able to give an accurate guess.

but what i will say is that Miss State just became much watch TV.
I?m now genuinely interested and curious about this one.

No offense, but i typically only watch y?all maybe 3-4 times per year (LSU , Bama, Ole Piss, and maybe the Bowl). I check scores, but can?t say i truly watch. I would watch whatever the biggest game i could find in that time slot (that doesn?t conflict with LSU game).

NOW?!?
Well, now i plan on tuning in regularly just to see how this goes.
And gonna try like hell to be in Death Valley for our game next season.

Quaoarsking
01-09-2020, 08:41 PM
I don’t... what does any of that have anything to do with my question...?

You said that Leach was at a "bottom half of the Pac-12 team," but thanks to Leach, Washington State is actually a top half of the Pac-12 team now. He also flipped the half of the Big 12 Texas Tech was in, and hopefully he'll flip which half of the SEC we're in.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-09-2020, 08:46 PM
Hopefully the SEC West will be as bad as the PAC North the next few years.

Right because we have WSU talent. Come on. And nobody needs him to finish 3rd or higher in the West like he did in the North: make us good enough to win the 4 OOC games, stay ahead of Arky and OM, split Kentiucky, and possibly upset 1 team. That's 6-9 wins. Throw in the occasional elite year like he had at TTU or WSU and now weve got Mullen round 2 with a more fun O and better press conferences. Barely making a bowl to being ranked postseason but never finishing higher than 3rd in the West is exactly what Mullen did

deadheaddawg
01-09-2020, 08:47 PM
Guys. We could have been stuck with someone like Hud or Chiz........but we ended up with someone so so much better.

Today is a really odd day to try to find reasons to hate on him. We got all off-season for that

Goldendawg
01-09-2020, 08:51 PM
As most of you know, I was sick of being on Jo's "Good Ship Lollypop" since last year's KY game. Hire or rehire a good DC, S&C Coach, and some other good assistant coaches and recruiters. Permission to come aboard, Capt. Leach! Hail State!

deadheaddawg
01-09-2020, 08:52 PM
To anyone that keeps bringing up the pac 12 talent.

You didn't want Napier I assume? His high level positions have been OC in the pac 12 and HC in the Sunbelt.

Coach34
01-09-2020, 08:55 PM
Guys. We could have been stuck with someone like Hud

Hud was a much better fit for our job.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 08:55 PM
Right because we have WSU talent. Come on. And nobody needs him to finish 3rd or higher in the West like he did in the North: make us good enough to win the 4 OOC games, stay ahead of Arky and OM, split Kentiucky, and possibly upset 1 team. That's 6-9 wins. Throw in the occasional elite year like he had at TTU or WSU and now weve got Mullen round 2 with a more fun O and better press conferences. Barely making a bowl to being ranked postseason but never finishing higher than 3rd in the West is exactly what Mullen did

It's all relative.

Spiderman
01-09-2020, 08:56 PM

James Whalen at Ky was one of the best TEs ever in the SEC. He like cats like that at the Y position. Cumbest could be the man there unless he is focused on baseball.

defiantdog
01-09-2020, 08:57 PM
It does scare me that he only got one kid committed from the state of Washington to WSU for 2020. We may need to bring in some recruiters.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 08:57 PM
To anyone that keeps bringing up the pac 12 talent.

You didn't want Napier I assume? His high level positions have been OC in the pac 12 and HC in the Sunbelt.

I would have been ok with him.

Coach34
01-09-2020, 08:59 PM
James Whalen at Ky was one of the best TEs ever in the SEC. He like cats like that at the Y position. Cumbest could be the man there unless he is focused on baseball.

yep- so why hasnt he grabbed another and used it the last 20 years since it was such a good thing????

Spiderman
01-09-2020, 09:00 PM

be running a lot of Mesh, Shallow and "6" then

bobtail bob
01-09-2020, 09:00 PM
I?m thrilled with the hire. John pulled me back into the pack today. We could have done a lot, a whole lot worse.

parabrave
01-09-2020, 09:02 PM
It does scare me that he only got one kid committed from the state of Washington to WSU for 2020. We may need to bring in some recruiters.

You realize that most schools north of San Fransisco recruit SoCal, Arizona and TX.

confucius say
01-09-2020, 09:03 PM

Almost as high as the arrest numbers. Led the country in arrests in either 2016 or 2017.

But I'm behind the guy.

Coach34
01-09-2020, 09:03 PM
be running a lot of Mesh, Shallow and "6" then

as do other teams... but you have to have guys that can shake loose and get open before the SEC DL's kill your QB.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-09-2020, 09:06 PM
It's all relative.

THATS LITERALLY MY POINT!! holy crap I dont know why I bother commenting to you, you're always either moving the goalposts when beaten for too stupid to remember where you just put them.

You derided Leaches achievements by pointing out it was the Pac. I point out we dont need him to have that level of success here. You then say "it's all relative". Exactly, it's all relative: he will play better opponents here but he'll have better talent himself. Itll be hard to finish top 3 in the West but he can have a good ballclub even if he doesnt because the West is stacked.

confucius say
01-09-2020, 09:06 PM
I don’t mean this snarky but why do you think he’s one of the best coaches in America? He’s been stuck at a bottom half Pac12 team for al,ost 10 years. If he’s such an amazing coach why wasn’t he hired by a bigger program first?

He scores high on the analytics. On Different models too. His coach effect is really high.

vv83
01-09-2020, 09:08 PM
You said that Leach was at a "bottom half of the Pac-12 team," but thanks to Leach, Washington State is actually a top half of the Pac-12 team now. He also flipped the half of the Big 12 Texas Tech was in, and hopefully he'll flip which half of the SEC we're in.

I guess you didn't read the question. I asked if he's one of the best coaches in america, then why hasn't a big program come and hired him away from a bottom half PAC12 team. and yes they are a bottom half PAC12 team

basedog
01-09-2020, 09:08 PM
I agree 34. Don’t like the fit. I’m gonna support him nd hope it works out. 58 yers old, I sure hope he will recruit.

Spiderman
01-09-2020, 09:09 PM
yep- so why hasnt he grabbed another and used it the last 20 years since it was such a good thing????

His Y position has always been good. He will run the hell out of Y cross, Y Sail and Y corner. His TE's don't have to be 6-5 250. Just an athlete that can catch. Cumbest is taylor made for it IMO.

Spiderman
01-09-2020, 09:09 PM
as do other teams... but you have to have guys that can shake loose and get open before the SEC DL's kill your QB.

Agree, but they are all pretty quick throws

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2020, 09:11 PM

I figured. Minshew didnt get hit much

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2020, 09:12 PM
You are another one that never noticed I never defended Joe this year. It's why I don't care what you think about me. I find it hilarious.

Thats fine Im just calling a spade a spade

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2020, 09:12 PM
ONE pass protection?

Yes they vertical set 95 percent of the time

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2020, 09:13 PM
Look, Leaches offense is simple, easy to teach, easy to execute, supposedly doesnt need elite athletes to work... and yet...

Nobody is running his O. Theyll run air raid "concepts" like most teams run option "concepts", but not many teams run the air raid or the option. They find a balance

I gotta ask, why does nobody run the pure air raid? It's simple, which leads me to believe the way to stop it is simple. I worry SEC DCs will figure that formula out and Leach will be too stubborn to make even simple adjustments.

I'm no expert, but it seems like 4 down, 1 QB spy, 1 RB spy, man to man with 2 S overtop would shut down the air raid pretty quick unless you've got WRs that can win jump balls or burn their man on crossers.

What am I missing here?

You would get meshed to death

Coach 57
01-09-2020, 09:14 PM
It'll work, it will take time. But I absolutely agree there will be an entire culture change for MSU from major traditions. Every MSU that has been good was predicated off of physicality, defense & running the football. That now goes out the window with Leach. I think he will be successful here, but we need to give him time to get his guys & implement his system.

Coach34
01-09-2020, 09:17 PM
Agree, but they are all pretty quick throws

Yet he was getting sacked regularly at WSU. Quick throws are tough in the SEC

chef dixon
01-09-2020, 09:22 PM
Minnesota clowning Auburn's defense gives me hope. SEC is top heavy and always has been. I think once Leach has his system in place 8 wins are there for the taking yearly.

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2020, 09:22 PM
Hud was a much better fit for our job.

Hud got fired in 2001 at Navy as OC when they went 1-11. He is a good coach. Im not hating on Hud but he is nowhere near as proven as Leach

dawgday166
01-09-2020, 09:25 PM
Minnesota clowning Auburn's defense gives me hope. SEC is top heavy and always has been. I think once Leach has his system in place 8 wins are there for the taking yearly.

I think for about 4 or 5 years from about 2011 to 2015 or so the depth in it was good. But about 2016 on the bottom 3 to 4 on each side of league are pretty bad.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-09-2020, 09:25 PM
I fully support MSU and our coach. I hope we win tons of games. But I worry about the fit. The hire scares me a little. I'm very skeptical. But I'm rooting for the guy.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 09:36 PM
THATS LITERALLY MY POINT!! holy crap I dont know why I bother commenting to you, you're always either moving the goalposts when beaten for too stupid to remember where you just put them.

You derided Leaches achievements by pointing out it was the Pac. I point out we dont need him to have that level of success here. You then say "it's all relative". Exactly, it's all relative: he will play better opponents here but he'll have better talent himself. Itll be hard to finish top 3 in the West but he can have a good ballclub even if he doesnt because the West is stacked.

It was also mine. I watch a LOT of Pac football. USC is my second team and has been since the days of John McKay and Anthony Davis. I absolutely LOVE Pac football. The talent level out there right now on defense ( and MOST esp on the defensive line) is no where near what it is here. It's just not close. He hasn't regularly faced defenses and particularly defensive linemen like he will see here since he left Kentucky as an assistant. I hope it works, but if it doesn't worry you, you definitely don't know Pac football.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 09:37 PM

The SEC is 8-2 in bowls this year. The best % in the NCAA.

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2020, 09:38 PM
It was also mine. I watch a LOT of Pac football. USC is my second team and has been since the days of John McKay and Anthony Davis. I absolutely LOVE Pac football. The talent level out there right now on defense ( and MOST esp on the defensive line) is no where near what it is here. It's just not close. He hasn't regularly faced defenses and particularly defensive linemen like he will see here since he left Kentucky as an assistant. I hope it works, but if it doesn't worry you, you definitely don't know Pac football.

I think Auburn and Wisconsin will tell you Oregon has had some pretty damn good DLs. So has Washington and Utah.

I think NFL draft results will tell you the same thing

Coach34
01-09-2020, 09:39 PM
Hud got fired in 2001 at Navy as OC when they went 1-11. He is a good coach. Im not hating on Hud but he is nowhere near as proven as Leach

The College of the Desert went 3-6-1 in 1988 when Leach coached there- whats your point? Coaches take over teams with varying levels of talent and varying fits to what kind of players they have.

confucius say
01-09-2020, 09:42 PM
The College of the Desert went 3-6-1 in 1988 when Leach coached there- whats your point? Coaches take over teams with varying levels of talent and varying fits to what kind of players they have.

What kind of offensive system would you have liked to hired?

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 09:44 PM
Thats fine Im just calling a spade a spade

LOL, you had no idea what you were talking about.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2020, 09:48 PM
I think Auburn and Wisconsin will tell you Oregon has had some pretty damn good DLs. So has Washington and Utah.

I think NFL draft results will tell you the same thing

Oregon and defense, OK. As I said, I watch a lot of PAC.

Jarius
01-09-2020, 09:52 PM

If I had to guess I would imagine he will do something similar to what he did at Kentucky when he lit power 5 schools up scoring over 30 ppg against P5 opponents. He is aware more than anyone on this board on what he needs to do to score points on sec defenses. He is the best offensive coach we have ever had at MSU. He may have a shitty defense and I'm worried about that but he's going to eventually score a shit ton of points here.

OLJWales
01-09-2020, 10:10 PM
17 all you ***** assed skeptics. Pu$$ies, the whole lot of ya. We and the Pirate are on a mission and those who are not wise enough to join this venture do so in your own peril.

We are about to reap a load of booty and those negative Nelly's won't be gettin' a drop! Join now for the venture or saddle you asses in the failure you rightfully deserve!

HoopsDawg
01-09-2020, 10:15 PM
Yet he was getting sacked regularly at WSU. Quick throws are tough in the SEC

You are making good points, but I don't care. We aren't going to the college football playoff anytime soon so I want to be entertained. I think under Leach we can average 7 to 8 wins a year. We do need to be patient next season, he is not inheriting the roster than Moorhead inherited. Hopefully, we can get a couple of those stud MS receivers in the 2021 class.

confucius say
01-09-2020, 10:17 PM
You are making good points, but I don't care. We aren't going to the college football playoff anytime soon so I want to be entertained. I think under Leach we can average 7 to 8 wins a year. We do need to be patient next season, he is not inheriting the roster than Moorhead inherited. Hopefully, we can get a couple of those stud MS receivers in the 2021 class.

7-8 wins a year would be fantastic. Never been done here in modern history outside of Dan, who barely made the cut at a 7.1-4.9 average. Not sure the pirate is as good as dan but maybe.

PMDawg
01-09-2020, 10:29 PM
I think once Napier was out, Sarkisian should have been #2. But, we had Leach above him so that's who we got. I have no idea how it will go, but he's had a lot of success at lesser places. We may struggle for a year or two. But once he's got his system in place I think we'll have some big wins. We'll win some we shouldn't and probably lose a few we shouldn't. If all goes well, we will have some 9 and 10 win seasons. When he leaves, THAT may be the problem..

Matt3467
01-09-2020, 10:40 PM

Okay well if you're going to go the route of "but they werent playing against SEC defenses," then I'll counter and say but he didn't have an SEC O-line. You're not being fair at all and trying to come across as a know it all.

PMDawg
01-09-2020, 10:43 PM
It'll work, it will take time. But I absolutely agree there will be an entire culture change for MSU from major traditions. Every MSU that has been good was predicated off of physicality, defense & running the football. That now goes out the window with Leach. I think he will be successful here, but we need to give him time to get his guys & implement his system.

Whoever our next coach is will have their hands full trying to get back to a more normal brand of football.

OLJWales
01-09-2020, 10:53 PM
All you experts who think they know more than a guy whose coached football for 2 decades are a 17ing joke. You seem to know more about what's going up inside Leach's head than HE does.

Guy has analyzed the situation and he likes it.

The rest of you negative 17's just need to shut the 17 up.

coachkmb14
01-09-2020, 10:57 PM
Can't agree with you. I know the SEC is tough, but Leach is going to handle it. With our schedule next year and returning team, Leach finds a way to win six easily, eight won't be a huge shock and ten if all the football gods smile on us. That being said, having a solid DC and S&C coach, he will have us consistently competing for NY6 bowl bids within a couple years. He knows what he is doing....trust that.

Santiago
01-09-2020, 10:58 PM
Whoever our next coach is will have their hands full trying to get back to a more normal brand of football.

If this is successful, then would we not just keep the coaching tree type of system going?

ejdallas322
01-09-2020, 11:00 PM
https://youtu.be/-oqUjN8fZiQ

Ari Gold
01-09-2020, 11:19 PM
If ANYONE is upset with this hire... or wants to bitch about it..
In the immortal words of JoMo.. Kick Rocks.!!!!

defiantdog
01-09-2020, 11:20 PM
If ANYONE is upset with this hire... or wants to bitch about it..
In the immortal words of JoMo.. Kick Rocks.!!!!
And pound sand!

Spiderman
01-09-2020, 11:21 PM
https://youtu.be/-oqUjN8fZiQ

Good stuff

PMDawg
01-09-2020, 11:28 PM
If this is successful, then would we not just keep the coaching tree type of system going?

Perhaps. Point is, we would need to, or we would be in for a major overhaul.

trojandawg
01-10-2020, 12:09 AM
I have a lot of the same feelings.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I really wanted someone that could run the power spread because I felt it would lead to the least amount of rebuild time and would really fit our roster and past identity under Dan. I was thinking and hoping for Napier and maybe Sark.

But I didn't think we would be able to pull a sitting head coach at a power 5 school either that has been successful at two different schools.

I am skeptical of his system working at state and working in the SEC with the defenses and our offensive talent. I think it's going to take time to build which is also One of the reasons why I didn't like Moorhead was his offense and square peg in round hole piece of it. That does worry me a lot. That it may not work here and what's his plan if it doesn't and are we going to wait for it. I think after firing moorhead you to have to wait it out this time and wait for it to build. Because it will be a rebuild for sure.

But with all that said. I do love Leach as a coach. He has been a success every where he has been. Very football smart. He has won with less at two different schools and stayed there pretty long stints. He is very eccentric and media loves him. He is just a very interesting guy. I like that his system has quick throws basically an extension of run game. He is a tough SOB that doesn't put up with any crap and calls out the players and the coaching staff and makes corrections. He is the anti Moorhead in that regard which I really like.

So I'm cautiously optimistic. He is a hell of a football coach. And while this style of offense is not my favorite I'm willing to give it a shot. And if it's anyone that is turning us in to pass heavy team I would want it to be Leach. He is the master of the air raid. His concepts seem much more simple than that rpo crap Moorhead brought in. I'm hoping we can get the receivers and lineman we need to run this and that he gets an outstanding defensive coach because we will need it.

So we shall see. I'm pumped we got a hell of a football coach with a hell of resume but I'm hoping it all works out on the field for us and it doesn't take too long to build. Hoping it all works.

BuckyIsAB****
01-10-2020, 01:00 AM

My point is, only somebody hard headed would hire Hud over Leach. One is a multiple time coach of the year and one got fired at UL Lafayette and ran the veer at Navy as the OC and went 1-11.

BuckyIsAB****
01-10-2020, 01:01 AM
Oregon and defense, OK. As I said, I watch a lot of PAC.

Oregon has been damn good on defense. Im not sure you even know where you are half of the time. They have had a lot of high draft picks off the DL alone. So have Washington and Utah..like I said.

Just bc Leach beat USC's ass dont mean you have to hate

Duckdog
01-10-2020, 08:31 AM

I agree but good coaches adapt and overcome. We shall see

Really Clark?
01-10-2020, 08:48 AM

He also beat Cutcliff and Eli for 2 years as well

Really Clark?
01-10-2020, 09:09 AM
I guess you didn't read the question. I asked if he's one of the best coaches in america, then why hasn't a big program come and hired him away from a bottom half PAC12 team. and yes they are a bottom half PAC12 team

He would be at Tenn if Fat Phil hasn?t pushed to get Currie fired as AD right before finalizing the deal 2 years ago.

ETA: I think it was after 2008 and Auburn and Washington both approached him but he decided to stay at TT...2009 happened with the James kid mess and the rest is history there

BulldogDX55
01-10-2020, 09:21 AM
You would get meshed to death

He also appears to have 12 men on the field here.

4 DL
1QB spy
1RB spy
2S overtop
4 M2M on receivers

His defense would lose on penalties alone.

Dawgology
01-10-2020, 09:28 AM
I expect to see Leach make some adjustments on offense and i expect us to get a good DC and Leach be pretty much hands off. Leach is definitely no idiot. I think we are about to take another step up. I’ll give him time. He’s proven. And he deserves it.

Coach34
01-10-2020, 09:29 AM
I agree but good coaches adapt and overcome. We shall see

Thats what I kept telling everyone about Moorhead- yet most of you blamed Fitz

Really Clark?
01-10-2020, 09:32 AM

Agree with that completely.

Scared_Hitless
01-10-2020, 09:36 AM
Everyone saying he didn't play defense or his offense is a defense killer because they are always on the field. This to a degree is a legit complaint, but factor in the JOMO offense he went 3 and out 90% of the time so our defense lived on the field last season as well. I hope we get an attacking DC that allows us to get turnovers and 3 and Outs then this will be a hell of a ride.

Also if you watch his Tech film, they used TEs and RBs much more than WSU. I believe that is due to having them available and necessity. Proof will be in the pudding but how can you not be excited to watch.

Duckdog
01-10-2020, 10:32 AM

Not me I wanted JoMo gone after the first 5 games he coached

JohnHenryBonham
01-10-2020, 11:58 AM

First off I have a lot of respect for you now but not because of your inside info posts here. I saw the difference you made at your current high school....very impressed.

I do agree that we will have struggles until the roster is completely Leach's. But I believe if we want to go to the next level we have to move beyond a power spread. Just my opinion of course.

OLJWales
01-10-2020, 01:34 PM
Leach is a winner, damned smart and I bet he knows what to expect from SEC Defenses. He hasn't been living in a big 12, pac 12 bubble. He's gonna do what's needed in order to get the most out of what he has to work with.

Johnson85
01-10-2020, 01:56 PM

What am I missing here?

You're are missing an eligible receiver that will be uncovered? 4 down, QB spy, RB spy, 2 safeties is 8 of your 11 defenders and the only eligible receiver you have covered is a RB. So you have 3 defenders going "man" on 4 eligible receivers and are rushing 4 against 5 OL. I think you're going to have a bad time with that.

MoreCowbell
01-10-2020, 02:30 PM

Those numbers are a bit misleading though since he threw it way more than anyone else. Would assume they threw it 80% if not more

SheltonChoked
01-10-2020, 02:45 PM
When he had an NFL QB and an experienced Sr QB after being in the program for 6 years. And not playing against SEC defenses. Just 3 seasons ago was top 5 worst in the country

You keep calling Minshew an "NFL QB" Like Leach had Peyton Manning. Minshew was the #40 player in MS in 2015. Signed with Troy. Transferred to East Carolina. Split time at QB on a ECU team that won 5 games over 2 years. Transferred to WSU under Leach won 11 games and finished 5th in the Heisman...

https://247sports.com/Player/Gardner-Minshew-27200/high-school-44607/

I'm sure that was Minshew sandbagging*****

Coach34
01-10-2020, 02:45 PM
First off I have a lot of respect for you now but not because of your inside info posts here. I saw the difference you made at your current high school....very impressed.

I do agree that we will have struggles until the roster is completely Leach's. But I believe if we want to go to the next level we have to move beyond a power spread. Just my opinion of course.

Thank you. I’m enjoying my job

Leach is a good football coach. I’m curious to see what happens