PDA

View Full Version : The truth about the Air Raid and Leach

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2020, 06:46 PM
To start off, I told you. Cohen wanted to win. Cohen made all of us eat shit especially the never Leachers. Get on board or get out.

He has more talent, more facilities, more money than anywhere he has ever coached and you really think he is not gonna win? You are being hard headed just for the sake of it.

I dont wanna hear anything about man coverage either. Leach will mesh it and screen it to death. He aint dumb. Leach is not a RPO guy. The pure air raid (which we are getting) is not gonna be RPO. Its all called and is very very dependent on the QB checking the plays at the line. It is incredibly simple. It is a pure numbers game. It has about 3 run plays, inside zone, outside zone and a wrap play. Just pulling a guard it is basically like ISO without a FB. He very rarely has used many TE/Hbacks. He has used them at UK and at TTU. But he wont go out recruiting them. He will run a lot of 2 back sets (open left, open right) Kylin and Marks together will be hell. The drop back game is also very simple. 4 verts, Y cross, Y stick, shallow cross, smash, some option routes (run and shoot type routes) and triangle reads. (Corner bubble snag) The reason it works so well is bc of its simplicity. It is going to be like going from calculus to arithmetic. We will see some perimeter game (key screens, bubble screens, tunnel screens) and that is just an extension of the run. You will see our WRs play better than they ever have. Austin Williams is a perfect Mike Leach WR. I would have loved to have seen Deddrick Thomas play for him. We have some pieces, hopefully he moves Jones to WR bc he is dynamic there and an issue at CB. Steve Spurrier Jr is a Peeler type of coach for a good comparison. He surely plans on bringing him with him. It is going to work.

His biggest emphasis, believe it or not is going to be the OL. He always has one of the best in the nation every year and most of the time they are huge. He has 1 pass protection. Vertical set. Thats it. They will slide it one way or the other if you overload one side and let the back pick up off the backside edge. He is not going to go out and recruit QBs and WRs like he is the OL. This offense is going to sell itself for WRs and QBs. We should get the best skill guys in the state every single year. He is going to go out and find the best OL and give it hell. It is a well known fact that nobody who plays offense gets an offer without him signing off on it first. He wont be hiring an OC or QB coach. He is both of those. He will be spending big money on his OL and if he can bring Steve Spurrier Jr with him to Starkville we will be rolling. He is a great recruiter. For all of you bitching about his recruiting I can understand that, but he is going to be at the easiest place he has ever had to recruit to in his coaching career. He will need to get a good staff and he will. He is a national name. He wont have to look hard to find guys to coach for him.

There is a common myth that Leach is soft or that they dont run the ball. He has had multiple thousand yard rushers and a couple of years ago they scored 24 rushing TDs in one season. Running it is easier for him than it is for Mullen bc of the box numbers and alignments he is going to get. Go watch the Texas Tech and Texas game from 2008 and they ran inside zone till the cows came home. He also plays no shit and discipline and S&C will not be an issue under Leach. Hang all of that up. I bet some of our guys transfer out and I bet we get several transfers as well. He may need to bring in a QB with him bc I personally do not expect Shrader to stay.

The QB situation is going to be interesting bc from Shrader's track record he is not a gym rat or a film junky. He is tough and a gamer but Leach wants the previous. Rogers is all of that. However, it is every QB's dream to play for Mike Leach so we wont be looking for QBs for long. I dont care if they think they are a run first guy or not, they want to throw it. Who doesn't? KT, Mayden and the others are going to get coached differently than they ever have and are going to be asked to do less than they ever have. Count the numbers and be accurate. Arm strength isnt a problem for any of them. I would put Rogers in the driver's set bc he has ran the offense and he and Gardner are very close. Dont undervalue that. He is smart and a gym rat. Loves the game. Leach also teaches the scramble drill very well. Go watch them during pass skel. There is no blown whistle till the ball hits the ground. Remember WSU was the first school to offer Will Rogers.

There is an obvious concern with defense, and I am worried about it. But yall act like he doesnt know that. He hired Grinch at WSU and he immediately got the job at blue blood Oklahoma. He is going to find a guy to run it and he is gonna let him recruit how he wants, hire who he wants and coach how he wants. No meddling of it at all. Shoop would be great with Leach. Grantham would be a grand slam. Open up the checkbook and get a guy bc Leach aint gonna mess with him.

Swing your sword fellas this is gonna be fun. For all of you never Leachers, you will be a believer before long. We needed a shot in the arm in the worst way possible and we got just that. Cohen gave you what you wanted. Get behind it or go give money to the baseball program bc Davis Wade will be back in 2020. We could win 7-8 and not be that good bc of how favorable the schedule is.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-09-2020, 06:54 PM
Damn I'm pumped. But question:

Why doesnt everyone run the air raid?

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2020, 06:58 PM
Damn I'm pumped. But question:

Why doesnt everyone run the air raid?

Its not for everyone. I believe there is a time and a place where it has its weaknesses. I have never seen anyone win the whole damn thing running a pure air raid but it is becoming more and more popular. Almost everyone who is slinging it around runs air raid principles.

Its also a myth that MS doesnt produce skill players. That is a lie. Leach has won with skill players from Cody Wyoming and Broken Arrow Texas. Look for Deion Smith and Brandon Burkhalter to get on board with State. There is a lot of teams in MS slinging the rock around now. This isnt 1985

MoreCowbell
01-09-2020, 07:15 PM
To start off, I told you. Cohen wanted to win. Cohen made all of us eat shit especially the never Leachers. Get on board or get out.

He has more talent, more facilities, more money than anywhere he has ever coached and you really think he is not gonna win? You are being hard headed just for the sake of it.

I dont wanna hear anything about man coverage either. Leach will mesh it and screen it to death. He aint dumb. Leach is not a RPO guy. The pure air raid (which we are getting) is not gonna be RPO. Its all called and is very very dependent on the QB checking the plays at the line. It is incredibly simple. It is a pure numbers game. It has about 3 run plays, inside zone, outside zone and a wrap play. Just pulling a guard it is basically like ISO without a FB. He very rarely has used many TE/Hbacks. He has used them at UK and at TTU. But he wont go out recruiting them. He will run a lot of 2 back sets (open left, open right) Kylin and Marks together will be hell. The drop back game is also very simple. 4 verts, Y cross, Y stick, shallow cross, smash, some option routes (run and shoot type routes) and triangle reads. (Corner bubble snag) The reason it works so well is bc of its simplicity. It is going to be like going from calculus to arithmetic. We will see some perimeter game (key screens, bubble screens, tunnel screens) and that is just an extension of the run. You will see our WRs play better than they ever have. Austin Williams is a perfect Mike Leach WR. I would have loved to have seen Deddrick Thomas play for him. We have some pieces, hopefully he moves Jones to WR bc he is dynamic there and an issue at CB. Steve Spurrier Jr is a Peeler type of coach for a good comparison. He surely plans on bringing him with him. It is going to work.

His biggest emphasis, believe it or not is going to be the OL. He always has one of the best in the nation every year and most of the time they are huge. He has 1 pass protection. Vertical set. Thats it. They will slide it one way or the other if you overload one side and let the back pick up off the backside edge. He is not going to go out and recruit QBs and WRs like he is the OL. This offense is going to sell itself for WRs and QBs. We should get the best skill guys in the state every single year. He is going to go out and find the best OL and give it hell. It is a well known fact that nobody who plays offense gets an offer without him signing off on it first. He wont be hiring an OC or QB coach. He is both of those. He will be spending big money on his OL and if he can bring Steve Spurrier Jr with him to Starkville we will be rolling. He is a great recruiter. For all of you bitching about his recruiting I can understand that, but he is going to be at the easiest place he has ever had to recruit to in his coaching career. He will need to get a good staff and he will. He is a national name. He wont have to look hard to find guys to coach for him.

There is a common myth that Leach is soft or that they dont run the ball. He has had multiple thousand yard rushers and a couple of years ago they scored 24 rushing TDs in one season. Running it is easier for him than it is for Mullen bc of the box numbers and alignments he is going to get. Go watch the Texas Tech and Texas game from 2008 and they ran inside zone till the cows came home. He also plays no shit and discipline and S&C will not be an issue under Leach. Hang all of that up. I bet some of our guys transfer out and I bet we get several transfers as well. He may need to bring in a QB with him bc I personally do not expect Shrader to stay.

The QB situation is going to be interesting bc from Shrader's track record he is not a gym rat or a film junky. He is tough and a gamer but Leach wants the previous. Rogers is all of that. However, it is every QB's dream to play for Mike Leach so we wont be looking for QBs for long. I dont care if they think they are a run first guy or not, they want to throw it. Who doesn't? KT, Mayden and the others are going to get coached differently than they ever have and are going to be asked to do less than they ever have. Count the numbers and be accurate. Arm strength isnt a problem for any of them. I would put Rogers in the driver's set bc he has ran the offense and he and Gardner are very close. Dont undervalue that. He is smart and a gym rat. Loves the game. Leach also teaches the scramble drill very well. Go watch them during pass skel. There is no blown whistle till the ball hits the ground. Remember WSU was the first school to offer Will Rogers.

There is an obvious concern with defense, and I am worried about it. But yall act like he doesnt know that. He hired Grinch at WSU and he immediately got the job at blue blood Oklahoma. He is going to find a guy to run it and he is gonna let him recruit how he wants, hire who he wants and coach how he wants. No meddling of it at all. Shoop would be great with Leach. Grantham would be a grand slam. Open up the checkbook and get a guy bc Leach aint gonna mess with him.

Swing your sword fellas this is gonna be fun. For all of you never Leachers, you will be a believer before long. We needed a shot in the arm in the worst way possible and we got just that. Cohen gave you what you wanted. Get behind it or go give money to the baseball program bc Davis Wade will be back in 2020. We could win 7-8 and not be that good bc of how favorable the schedule is.

Agree on everything. I am JACKED

Mobile Bay
01-09-2020, 07:17 PM
I am only going to disagree with you one one point. I do not think 2020 will be good. In fact I anticipate a 4-6 win disaster. It 's going to take time and personnel to get Leach's system going. I expect improvement in 2021 and better from then on out. But It think it will be worth it in the long run.

Cowbell
01-09-2020, 07:26 PM
It is amazing how many out-of-state friends of mine just became state fans. And I'm in Texas in the sports station here just did a 15 minute long segment on leads and how they think he's going to hurt all the other big-name coaches in our league.

Really Clark?
01-09-2020, 07:45 PM
Good write up Bucky. You do need to correct the multiple 1,000 yards backs. He has never had one. Some have come close and they are a big part of the passing game.

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2020, 07:46 PM
I am only going to disagree with you one one point. I do not think 2020 will be good. In fact I anticipate a 4-6 win disaster. It 's going to take time and personnel to get Leach's system going. I expect improvement in 2021 and better from then on out. But It think it will be worth it in the long run.

Our personnel right now is better than anything Leach has ever inherited as a HC.

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2020, 07:47 PM
Good write up Bucky. You do need to correct the multiple 1,000 yards backs. He has never had one. Some have come close and they are a big part of the passing game.

I think the kid this past year had 800 yards. The point still remains that he will run the ball when the numbers dictate. They do get a lot of receptions. Hill and Marks will be deadly in this offense.

You give Kylin Hill a 5-6 man run box and he is going to run for miles

bobcat91
01-09-2020, 07:51 PM
Only ones who dont like the hire are those who still like their run the ball football from the 1930s. Notice LSU didnt sniff a championship game until they opened up the offense. Hail Pirate

gulf coast bandit 2
01-09-2020, 07:54 PM
Actually LSU won a national championship with their old offense but I do agree that offenses are changing and to attract top skill people you must open up the offense

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2020, 07:54 PM
Only ones who dont like the hire are those who still like their run the ball football from the 1930s. Notice LSU didnt sniff a championship game until they opened up the offense. Hail Pirate

He is the best possible coach that Cohen could have gotten. Period. Not Napier, not Sark, not any of them that were listed. Leach has proven more than all of them. He is 58 and not 78 like some like to pretend

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2020, 07:56 PM
Actually LSU won a national championship with their old offense but I do agree that offenses are changing and to attract top skill people you must open up the offense

When LSU won that natty the only teams running a real air raid were Leach, Mumme and wherever Art Briles was at the time. Now everyone you watch is incorporating it into their offense. Bama, LSU, Oklahoma, Clemson they are all running air raid concepts

Really Clark?
01-09-2020, 07:57 PM
I think the kid this past year had 800 yards. The point still remains that he will run the ball when the numbers dictate. They do get a lot of receptions. Hill and Marks will be deadly in this offense.

I think Williams at TT has over 900 one year. A lot of passing yards by RB’s. But no 1,000 yard rushers

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2020, 07:58 PM
I think Williams at TT has over 900 one year. A lot of passing yards by RB’s. But no 1,000 yard rushers

Fair enough. I was just discrediting the myth that he throws it every single down

preachermatt83
01-09-2020, 08:00 PM
He is the best possible coach that Cohen could have gotten. Period. Not Napier, not Sark, not any of them that were listed. Leach has proven more than all of them. He is 58 and not 78 like some like to pretend

This!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dawgfan77
01-09-2020, 08:12 PM
In the late 90s and 2000 leach lit UP folks with the TE

Todd4State
01-09-2020, 08:37 PM
In the late 90s and 2000 leach lit UP folks with the TE

Yeah I remember that guy for Kentucky. I think that was more of a Hal Mumme thing though.

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2020, 08:55 PM
Yeah I remember that guy for Kentucky. I think that was more of a Hal Mumme thing though.

He used TEs at Texas Tech. On the goaline he will get in some 2 TE stuff. Go watch Texas vs TTU in 2008

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 09:16 PM
Outstanding

maroonmania
01-09-2020, 09:18 PM

I know one thing, in a Mike Leach system you will not play RB, no matter how good you are running the ball, unless you are a good receiver out of the backfield. I've played loads of college fantasy football and you don't put WSU RBs on your team because of all the rushing yards they will get, you put them on your team because of all the touches and yards they will get both running and receiving. Leach's system does a lot of dinks and dunks that essentially substitute for running plays. Heck, I won my college fantasy league this year and one of my starting RBs was Max Borghi from WSU.

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2020, 09:18 PM
To add, the OL has wider splits than most any team yall will have watched. It is to create wider running lanes on zone and create a bigger pocket for the QB.

yjnkdawg
01-09-2020, 09:19 PM
This!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are they still having that meeting, Preacher? :cool: LOL Just kidding. Never sailed on a Pirate Ship before but sounds cool.

Spiderman
01-09-2020, 09:21 PM

But do the total yards out of the RB, or as Leach calls it the "F" position. Rushing receiving combined he has a lot of production out of that position. Plus he uses it as a selling point. The NFL wants backs that can catch and play in space. Plus you won't get the pounding you would with more rushes ove a college career.

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2020, 09:30 PM
But do the total yards out of the RB, or as Leach calls it the "F" position. Rushing receiving combined he has a lot of production out of that position. Plus he uses it as a selling point. The NFL wants backs that can catch and play in space. Plus you won't get the pounding you would with more rushes ove a college career.

I don't mind using the backs out of the backfield more, I think had we done it this year we would've won a couple more games. I just worry that RBs will become harder and harder to recruit. I mean remember what we were all saying about Ealy going to OM before they hired Rich Rod. That's the system we're now running. Albeit we're a heck of a lot more conceptual than Longo was at OM.

Mjoelner34
01-09-2020, 09:33 PM
To add one more thing about his offenses. What does he think about balance?

“There’s nothing balanced about 50% run-50% pass, ’cause that’s 50% stupid. What is balance is when you have five skill positions and all five of them are contributing to the effort in somewhat equal fashion — that’s balance. This notion that if you hand one guy 50% of the time and then you throw it to a combination of two guys the other 50% that you’re really balanced. You probably pat yourself on the back and tell yourself that. People have been doing that for decades. Well, then you’re delusional.”

DogsofAnarchy
01-09-2020, 09:47 PM
Keep this at the top of the board. All our fans and especially some coaches on here should read this.

Dawgface
01-09-2020, 09:52 PM
He's the coach whether some like it or not. Might as well get on board. I am.

Really Clark?
01-09-2020, 09:52 PM

Yeah. Like I said, big production out of the passing game. Still didn’t change what I was stating from the OP who claimed he has had multiple 1,000 rushers. He hasn’t had a 1,000 yard rusher at all. That’s all I pointed out.

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 09:55 PM

Spiderman
01-09-2020, 10:26 PM
I don't mind using the backs out of the backfield more, I think had we done it this year we would've won a couple more games. I just worry that RBs will become harder and harder to recruit. I mean remember what we were all saying about Ealy going to OM before they hired Rich Rod. That's the system we're now running. Albeit we're a heck of a lot more conceptual than Longo was at OM.

Ely would be deadly in this offense. Plumlee too in the slot

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2020, 10:28 PM
Ely would be deadly in this offense. Plumlee too in the slot

I selfishly hope he never figures out his future in this sport is at the wideout position. He could be a fringe ALL SEC guy as a slot receiver. Great hands and elite speed. Hopefully he keeps trying to kick the tires at the QB position.

Cooterpoot
01-09-2020, 10:31 PM
Our personnel right now is better than anything Leach has ever inherited as a HC.
Not at WR

Spiderman
01-09-2020, 10:33 PM
I selfishly hope he never figures out his future in this sport is at the wideout position. He could be a fringe ALL SEC guy as a slot receiver. Great hands and elite speed. Hopefully he keeps trying to kick the tires at the QB position.

If he is gonna play under Lane, except for package plays, he will be a slot

Todd4State
01-09-2020, 10:36 PM
This thread reminds me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANYJbKdMHk8

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 10:45 PM
Not at WR

It will be very soon.

DogsofAnarchy
01-09-2020, 10:58 PM
Not at WR

We are better at WR than a lot of you think. Joe Moorhead ran a SHITTY scheme....you will soon find out!!

softballfanatic1
01-09-2020, 11:02 PM
We are better at WR than a lot of you think. Joe Moorhead ran a SHITTY scheme....you will soon find out!!

Yep and I cannot speak for all but Tulu will be a star in this offense. Watch and see.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-09-2020, 11:20 PM
I was against it initially but you have convinced me.

PMDawg
01-09-2020, 11:27 PM
Did I miss something? Is Kylin coming back? I thought he said he was going pro.

Spiderman
01-09-2020, 11:34 PM
Did I miss something? Is Kylin coming back? I thought he said he was going pro.

hasn't signed with an agent and seems he didn't get a great draft grade

BuckyIsAB****
01-10-2020, 12:55 AM
Not at WR

Have yall seen the majority of Leach WRs? His best ones are 5'9 walk on white boys. There aint been a lot of Crabtrees. We will be ok.

He has made do with less than what we have.

bigplayslay
01-10-2020, 08:36 AM
Malik Heath better be getting pumped. He has a chance to put up some dang good numbers and make a lot of money.

Cooterpoot
01-10-2020, 09:08 AM
Have yall seen the majority of Leach WRs? His best ones are 5'9 walk on white boys. There aint been a lot of Crabtrees. We will be ok.

He has made do with less than what we have.

Have you seen our WRs? We don't even run routes well and we're not quick. Leach will throw more short passes, so that helps but we're going to need Tulu and Heath to take off pretty quickly. Peyton too. SEC teams will be playing tighter coverage too. QB and receiver will be an adventure year 1.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-10-2020, 09:12 AM
Malik Heath better be getting pumped. He has a chance to put up some dang good numbers and make a lot of money.

Yeah with a system this simple I'd think the best athletes will get on the field. Heath and Tulu and Payton may end up being the starters. Should be able to maximize the talent we have

dawgday166
01-10-2020, 09:13 AM
Have you seen our WRs? We don't even run routes well and we're not quick. Leach will throw more short passes, so that helps but we're going to need Tulu and Heath to take off pretty quickly. Peyton too. SEC teams will be playing tighter coverage too. QB and receiver will be an adventure year 1.

True but you should know a lot of that can be coaching. Joe's offense complicated and when you're thinking too much you know that slows you down .. which is also something Leach talks about in his book.

Hadad and Joel T Coleman had an HD6 podcast where they talked about the tutorial Joe gave them and they came away saying it boggled their mind and they felt sorry for the team have to learn and understand it cause it was very complex.

HailStateSZN19
01-10-2020, 09:18 AM
Yeah with a system this simple I'd think the best athletes will get on the field. Heath and Tulu and Payton may end up being the starters. Should be able to maximize the talent we have

I’m going to make a bold statement sorta or a hot take here: maybe not as a true freshman, but Jaden Walley is going to be a freak in this offense. His athleticism, shiftiness, quickness, along with his body size as far as height (6’2”) & I think he’s going to be a mismatch if you put him in the slot some. I’m really really high on this kid. He can play inside at slot and move outside. I’m very excited to see Tulu & Walley both in this offense.

biscuit
01-10-2020, 10:44 AM
PUMPED!!!!! ARRRRGGGG... Im excited about football again

FISHDAWG
01-10-2020, 10:56 AM
hey guys do you recognize that feeling ? ....... that's wool sprouting again. Been a little while

dawgday166
01-10-2020, 10:58 AM
Damn ... I gotta calm the f*** down. I don't like to get too excited ... like to be a cautiously optimistic and wait and see guy. But the more I watch, read, and learn I'm getting damn goosebumps and ready for the season to start tomorrow.