PDA

View Full Version : An excerpt from an ESPN.com article previewing the MSU/USCe game tomorrow

starkvegasdawg
11-01-2013, 11:06 AM
But diving deeper, the teams are eerily similar. They are just about even in all major offensive and defensive categories. The only real discrepancy is in total offense and passing, where the Gamecocks are averaging 19 more yards a game in both categories. And when you look at the Bulldogs' three losses -- Oklahoma State, Auburn and LSU -- they all came against teams that are currently ranked in the top 20 and Oklahoma State and Auburn were away from Starkville.

HancockCountyDog
11-01-2013, 11:26 AM
But diving deeper, the teams are eerily similar. They are just about even in all major offensive and defensive categories. The only real discrepancy is in total offense and passing, where the Gamecocks are averaging 19 more yards a game in both categories. And when you look at the Bulldogs' three losses -- Oklahoma State, Auburn and LSU -- they all came against teams that are currently ranked in the top 20 and Oklahoma State and Auburn were away from Starkville.

Anyone that watched the Tennessee game knows we have a great shot at winning this game. They are not as good as LSU - and I don't think they are as good as AU or OSU. They are extremely beatable.

I really think this is Dak's coming out party - hopefully Tyler stays on the bench, and we win this one on the feet of Dak.

HoopsDawg
11-01-2013, 11:38 AM

The schedules in college football are completely unbalanced.
The only way you can compare stats in college football is to compare common opponents and you need at least 3 common opponents to draw anything from those stats.

Alcorn, Troy, UK, and Bowling Green are going to throw your stats out the window.

MarketingBully01
11-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Let's see. They played Kentucky and a terrible Arkansas team and Vandy. They also played a one win team in North Carolina. See, two can play at that game. So four of their six wins are against nobody's as well. Two can play at that game...

Coach34
11-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Alcorn, Troy, UK, and Bowling Green are going to throw your stats out the window.

Why would you throw Kentucky out the window? We played them just 2 weeks after SC did.

Vs Kentucky:

Total Yards- SC- 453....State 447
Rushing- SC had 39/178...State had 42/152
Passing- SC was 18/23-275...State 25/37- 295
3rd downs- SC was 5/9...State was 10/18
SC defense gave up 301 yards and forced no turnovers...State gave up 325 and forced no turnovers

Kentucky scored 28 vs SC, 22 vs State

Kentucky did have 2 weeks to get ready for us as opposed to 1 week for SC

HoopsDawg
11-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Why would you throw Kentucky out the window? We played them just 2 weeks after SC did.

Vs Kentucky:

Total Yards- SC- 453....State 447
Rushing- SC had 39/178...State had 42/152
Passing- SC was 18/23-275...State 25/37- 295
3rd downs- SC was 5/9...State was 10/18
SC defense gave up 301 yards and forced no turnovers...State gave up 325 and forced no turnovers

Kentucky scored 28 vs SC, 22 vs State

Kentucky did have 2 weeks to get ready for us as opposed to 1 week for SC

Yep, that's a fair comparison. But we would need two more common's to be able to draw much from it. Honestly, I don't think South Carolina is that great of a team. I wouldn't trade Dak for Shaw. The main difference is their D-line is superior to ours and they can stretch the field with Byrd. That's why losing by 2 or 3 TD's tomorrow will be disappointing.

Coach 57
11-01-2013, 12:33 PM
You guys better watch this game! I am telling you right now we have a GREAT shot of winning this game! In 10' we went to UF as an 8pt dog & beat a team we haven't beaten at their place in 45yrs! They had over 100k screaming fans, a beat up QB, a beat up RB & we bludgeoned them to death. We are going to have chances to do it again!

HoopsDawg
11-01-2013, 12:34 PM
You guys better watch this game! I am telling you right now we have a GREAT shot of winning this game! In 10' we went to UF as an 8pt dog & beat a team we haven't beaten at their place in 45yrs! They had over 100k screaming fans, a beat up QB, a beat up RB & we bludgeoned them to death. We are going to have chances to do it again!

We had 7 future NFL players on that defense.

bluelightstar
11-01-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm sorry, I don't think USC is that great but I also have very little confidence in Mullen to pull the upset.

Coach 57
11-01-2013, 12:44 PM
We had 7 future NFL players on that defense.

Man I thought our offense was part of that win too? Hmmm, was I mistaken?

But just for giggles let's take YOUR angle:

McKinney>KJ (give it time)
Skinner=white (equals)
Preston>pernell (give it time you'll see)
Chris Jones>Fletch (Chris light years better than Fletcher as a FR)
Autry
Ryan Brown/AJ
Wells

Feel better?

bluelightstar
11-01-2013, 12:58 PM
It certainly didn't hurt that Florida's offense was absolutely incompetent that year.

Coach 57
11-01-2013, 02:46 PM
It certainly didn't hurt that Florida's offense was absolutely incompetent that year.

Hmmmm, I could've swore I saw them win in the Outback that yr? Hmmm, am I mistaken? Oh wait here it is they went on to a BETTER bowl than us & beat Penn St 38-24. Try again?

ShotgunDawg
11-01-2013, 02:48 PM

McKinney>KJ (give it time)
Skinner=white (equals)
Preston>pernell (give it time you'll see)
Chris Jones>Fletch (Chris light years better than Fletcher as a FR)
Autry
Ryan Brown/AJ
Wells

Feel better?

ahhh, only if we had Vick Ballard

That being said, I agree with you Coach. I just don't see a big personnel mis-match between SC and MSU. If we play a competent well coached game and don't turn the ball over, I don't see any way we aren't in this game in the 4th quarter.

Unlike LSU, there is nothing with SC that you look at and go, "DANG" I have no clue how we are going to match-up against that.

Coach 57
11-01-2013, 02:56 PM
ahhh, only if we had Vick Ballard

That being said, I agree with you Coach. I just don't see a big personnel mis-match between SC and MSU. If we play a competent well coached game and don't turn the ball over, I don't see any way we aren't in this game in the 4th quarter.

Unlike LSU, there is nothing with SC that you look at and go, "DANG" I have no clue how we are going to match-up against that.

Good post. I actually feel the combo back packages we can show trump what a banged up Vick did in that game. We could see the diamond package in this game more too.

HereComesTheSpiral
11-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Hmmmm, I could've swore I saw them win in the Outback that yr? Hmmm, am I mistaken? Oh wait here it is they went on to a BETTER bowl than us & beat Penn St 38-24. Try again?

Bowl selection bias. Florida was 7-5 and we were 8-4. Only logical answer to your question is bias.

HoopsDawg
11-01-2013, 03:12 PM

Feel better?

Yeah, our offense was great in that game.

How about Jiles > Banks
Market > Charles Mitchell

Just b/c u post it doesn't make it true, bud.

Barking 13
11-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Good post. I actually feel the combo back packages we can show trump what a banged up Vick did in that game. We could see the diamond package in this game more too.

I just got a hard on... ;)

bluelightstar
11-01-2013, 03:39 PM

No need to try again. As someone noted, we finished with a better record than Florida that year. Nor do I really understand how bringing up their bowl game goes against my point that their offense was incompetent. As I recall (I was in JXNville, so I didn't watch UF play), the defense set their offense up nicely several times. That offense was bad; people wanted to tar and feather John Brantley.

SnakePlissken
11-01-2013, 03:43 PM
As we discussed the other day, and not to hijack the thread, but BlueStar and Hoops are two perfect examples of our own fanbase who love to shit on anything we do or have done at State.

msstate7
11-01-2013, 03:45 PM
As we discussed the other day, and not to hijack the thread, but BlueStar and Hoops are two perfect examples of our own fanbase who love to shit on anything we do or have done at State.

Exactly

bluelightstar
11-01-2013, 03:50 PM

When we do things that don't require caveats, I won't provide them.

msstate7
11-01-2013, 04:00 PM
When we do things that don't require caveats, I won't provide them.

Urban Meyer was 36-5 at home while at Florida. We gave him one of those losses. BTW lsu gave urban a home loss the previous week by the score of 33-29. Didnt seem Florida's offense was as anemic that week

bluelightstar
11-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Urban Meyer was 36-5 at home while at Florida. We gave him one of those losses. BTW lsu gave urban a home loss the previous week by the score of 33-29. Didnt seem Florida's offense was as anemic that week

If we're really going to debate that 2010 Florida was a good offense, I'm out. I enjoyed the win as much as anyone, but come on.

msstate7
11-01-2013, 04:08 PM
If we're really going to debate that 2010 Florida was a good offense, I'm out. I enjoyed the win as much as anyone, but come on.

I'm not arguing they were a great offense. I'm arguing it was a great win for us. We beat urban Meyer at home and not many teams can claim that.

Coach 57
11-01-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm not arguing they were a great offense. I'm arguing it was a great win for us. We beat urban Meyer at home and not many teams can claim that.

Exactly and our fanbase is too stupid to realize this fact! They are too busy listening to Finebaum, Barrett Sally, Bo Bounds or the Bears machine. Stop down playing beating them! It was a signature win! We now have our own fans skewing the line of success? "Has he beaten a top 11, 9 or 8 team?" Stop it!

And for the fella that said "just because you said it, don't make it true BUD?" Wha? He (blue light) said NFL players. If you think the kids I named won't be in the league (barring major injury) you sir are out of your gord......bud.