PDA

View Full Version : Mike Leach mega thread

MoreCowbell
01-09-2020, 03:12 PM
So now that we have our coach what is everyones thoughts?

He is last person I thought we would hire. Hearing his name mentioned during search I was not a fan but now that the shock has warn off I am starting to come around to it. He has a high floor and will be entertaining football. He is a proven, sitting Power 5 head coach who has been successful everywhere he has been. Maybe our historical strengths as a program(defense and running) will complement his Air Raid offense. Curious to see the staff he will put together.

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 03:18 PM
- He's one of the greatest offensive minds of this generation
- He's won everywhere he's ever been.
- He's never had the amount of talent he will have at Mississippi State.
- His winning percentage vs top 25 teams is better than Mullen's and many others
- Should expand our recruiting foot print to Dallas & Houston & possibly nationally.
- Must surround him with SEC coaches
- He's never had the athletes to play defense. He will at MSU
- I don't know if it'll work, but if he can SEC-IFY his program, it's got a chance to be YUGE
- Two things sell tickets in college football: winning & hope. This gives hope & damn it's going to be fun!

wild_dawg
01-09-2020, 03:26 PM
Very excited about the hire. Did not think we would do it but I am glad that we did. It is the shot in the arm that our program needed.

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2020, 03:29 PM
This is the ultimate boom or bust hire. Low floor high ceiling, however you want to say it. We're gonna need to pay 2 mil+ for a DC worth a damn.

gtowndawg
01-09-2020, 03:33 PM
Wasn't my first pick but I've gotten excited quickly. I love him, always have, not sure how it will fair here but he will win the fans over and everyone will be excited for Bulldog football again.

I've also had text from Georgia and Tennessee fans saying how great of a hire this is. So the perception (and the media attention) around the country will be good.

If we recruit Top 25, retain a solid DC and strength coach, I think this is a great ending. I made an extra Bullog Club donation in the last hour in fact.

Maroonthirteen
01-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Man.... My thoughts are the same as yours. Wow is all I can say. Never thought it would happen. But now... I'm reading the thoughts of others and I'm coming around.

Maybe he will have more defensive talent at State than he has had at other stops. There is no doubt his offense will be good. So hopefully we are looking at a successful and exciting brand of football.

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 03:39 PM
This is the ultimate boom or bust hire. Low floor high ceiling, however you want to say it. We're gonna need to pay 2 mil+ for a DC worth a damn.

Not true. He's 139-90 in his career with a 60% winning percentage. This is as high of a floor hire as we could've made.

There is no reasonable way that you can look at his track record & not think he's at least going to win 6 games a year.

The track record is too extensive. There is virually no risk

MoreCowbell
01-09-2020, 03:57 PM
Not to be that guy but I played/coached QB under Mumme for a year and you do not need all star athletes to run the Air Raid. You need smart receivers and a QB who can get it out quick. Not sure Schrader will be a good fit though look for Mayden or Rogers to be more of a fit.

Weston M.
01-09-2020, 04:13 PM
The more I've thought about it, the more excited I am. I've always loved the guy, why would I change my mind now that he's signed on with us. Cohen looks like he made a great, calculated decision this time. And if this works out, it may save his job. I know people are worried about him recruiting, but both stops he's been at haven't exactly been the easiest to draw talent to. I think he will get enough of the type of players he needs in the southeast. And we don't have to worry about him being an up and comer that shows up, succeeds, and then bolts after a few seasons. If he can do what he's always done: win 7-8 games a year and compete for the league once a decade, then what else can you ask for with our program? Can't wait to see what happens.

lefty96
01-09-2020, 04:20 PM
Every hire is a gamble. Every. Hire.

This is a good gamble. It's a fun gamble and it could pay huge dividends. I'm on board.

yjnkdawg
01-09-2020, 04:20 PM
Cohen didn't penny pinch on this hire. The Pirate had just signed a 5 year $20 million deal with WSU. Get a really good staff and lets Go Dawga!

Cloak
01-09-2020, 04:24 PM
The plane just landed

Horka going live

https://mobile.twitter.com/tbhorka

defiantdog
01-09-2020, 04:26 PM
C34 will have a post tomorrow about how this is a bad hire..... Calling it now.

lefty96
01-09-2020, 04:38 PM
The plane just landed

Horka going live

https://mobile.twitter.com/tbhorka

Wow, excited people. . . haven't seen that in a couple of years.

Commercecomet24
01-09-2020, 04:49 PM
Awesome crowd at the airport! Loved the MIKE shirts!

MaroonFlounder
01-09-2020, 04:55 PM
LEACH wanted the MSU job 2 years ago.

I'm glad it worked out this time.