PDA

View Full Version : One thing I can't wait to watch tomorrow in our game

Coach34
11-01-2013, 10:20 AM
is the performance of our OL.

We get all the "Hevesy sux", "Hevesy can't recruit", "Hevesy needs to be fired" comments constantly.
People act like Clausell sux when he is probably the 6th best LT in the SEC. He has really improved since taking over as a Freshman- and he still has another year.

Currently:

We are 7th in the SEC in rushing- and only 5 ypg away from being 3rd in the SEC
We are 8th in yards per attempt
We are 8th in sacks allowed- one behind LSU
We are up to 40% now on 3rd down conversions- while not good, that number is improving.
We are 6th in longest rush plays

SC has one of the better defenses in the SEC- and altho not dominant like Bama- they will be a good test. Can this offense continue to be the best in school history?

SignalToNoise
11-01-2013, 10:24 AM
I don't get the Hevesy hate.

Given what he's had to work with he's done a good job. Yes, we have had some maulers here and there, but I for the most part OL talent has been so-so.

BeastMan
11-01-2013, 10:25 AM
The USC D is a little better against the pass so a heavy dose of Dak attack should be in order. The guy on their front 7 that worries me the most is Kelcy Quarles. Gabe can handle him but I have a feeling they are going to try to move him around to get him matched up on the other OG (Beckwith or Clayborn).

BeastMan
11-01-2013, 10:26 AM

It's all about recruiting. He's a pretty good developer but you gotta have the clay to model.

Barking 13
11-01-2013, 10:27 AM

Given what he's had to work with he's done a good job. Yes, we have had some maulers here and there, but I for the most part OL talent has been so-so.

and part of that is his fault...

Coach34
11-01-2013, 10:29 AM
I would run the shit out of the zone read at Clowney- use his aggressiveness against him. **** blocking him- just read him.
I'd also run that Tackle trap against him on the backside- he wont even see that shit coming the first time.
And then I'd line up with an extra OL guy beside our OT to his side- and let those 2 double team his ass and push him around- and run the power play with Dakota right at him.

There are ways to neutralize great players- and those are just a few

SignalToNoise
11-01-2013, 10:30 AM
and part of that is his fault...

Part. He isn't the only coach that recruits O Linemen. I try not to blame one coach for our recruiting woes. The whole staff just doesn't seem to be good at it.

Coach 57
11-01-2013, 10:36 AM
My boy Clayborn is ready to get nasty with Quarles. If he can block both Jones', Quay, James and straight up "cake" Virges. He can definitely BALL!

Covercorner2
11-01-2013, 10:45 AM
We have also played one of the easiest schedules so far in the SEC....

slickdawg
11-01-2013, 10:46 AM
I would run the shit out of the zone read at Clowney- use his aggressiveness against him. **** blocking him- just read him.
I'd also run that Tackle trap against him on the backside- he wont even see that shit coming the first time.
And then I'd line up with an extra OL guy beside our OT to his side- and let those 2 double team his ass and push him around- and run the power play with Dakota right at him.

This all freaking day long. Clowney has endurance issues, so make him run a whole lot. He will wear down.

smootness
11-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Clayborn looks like a potential stud in the making.

Flowers is a guy who a lot of people were high on in the recruiting process, more than for any OT we've recruited since Sherrod, as far as I can remember. Robinson was highly-rated but there were already concerns that he wasn't as good as advertised then.

Cole Carter seems to be getting some initial praise as well, though he hasn't played yet.

Haven't heard much about Desper, but he was very highly thought-of in the recruiting process, too.

So maybe we'll have some more talent over the next few years than we have had in the recent past. I certainly hope so.

Our staff isn't great in recruiting, but they're certainly not bad, either. OL seems to be the one area they've had the most difficulties, and that is not good.

RBritt
11-01-2013, 10:52 AM
I like that idea Coach. I'd double his ass and let Nasty Nick cut his ass down with some quick throws to Perk, Jameon, or JRob in the flats.

Squidawg11
11-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Our OL doesn't suck as a whole. It is just Siddoway. He may be the worst O lineman I have ever seen with the exception of Sowell.

1998Dawg
11-01-2013, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't say we've played "the easiest schedule in the sec so far". We played the best team in the Big12, a bowl team in Troy, the best team out of the MAC, 2 top 10 SEC teams, plus always tough Kentucky.

Coach34
11-01-2013, 11:01 AM
We have also played one of the easiest schedules so far in the SEC....

We've played:

Ok State- who is 19th in the country in Rush D
Auburn is 5th in the SEC vs rush
LSU is 8th
Kentucky is 13th (Kentucky has played 3 of the top 7 rush offenses in the SEC already)

A&M is shitty on defense
UPig is 11th in the SEC vs rush
Ole Miss is 10th in the SEC vs rush

Other than Bama, it's not like we have dominant defenses left to play

Political Hack
11-01-2013, 11:04 AM
I'd let Artimus crack back on him one time so hard he wouldn't wake up until the game was over. just take the 15 yarder... then run about 10 drag routes from his direction with Artimus
coming at him in motion.

1998Dawg
11-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Agreed Coach!

It's getting ridiculous how negative "our fans" are these days. I have gone on record as saying we'll win 3 out of the next 4. Yes, I am also on the record as saying we upset Bama at home behind the DakExpress.

Political Hack
11-01-2013, 11:09 AM
My boy Clayborn is ready to get nasty with Quarles. If he can block both Jones', Quay, James and straight up "cake" Virges. He can definitely BALL!

people, including him, have no clue how good he could be.

Homedawg
11-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Our OL doesn't suck as a whole. It is just Siddoway. He may be the worst O lineman I have ever seen with the exception of Sowell.

Who is currently in the nfl.

Coach34
11-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Agreed Coach!

It's getting ridiculous how negative "our fans" are these days. I have gone on record as saying we'll win 3 out of the next 4. Yes, I am also on the record as saying we upset Bama at home behind the DakExpress.

I like your excitement, but I just want Dakota to survive the Bama game. I think Russell should start that game since it's at home and play most of the snaps

Barking 13
11-01-2013, 12:04 PM
I like your excitement, but I just want Dakota to survive the Bama game. I think Russell should start that game since it's at home and play most of the snaps

Interesting strategy... if we're gonna lose, lose big? heck, just start and play the 2's and 3's all game...****

msstate7
11-01-2013, 12:05 PM
. I think Russell should start that game since it's at home and play most of the snaps

Do you feel the same way about the egg bowl?

Political Hack
11-01-2013, 12:05 PM
I think TR is a much better matchup for us against Bama, burin don't expect him to survive four quarters against Saban's blitz schemes. they'll pressure him early and often since we're not a threat to go over the top on them.

War Machine Dawg
11-01-2013, 12:06 PM

I was VERY impressed with Clayborn last week. He looked really athletic for a big guy. And he's got some nasty in him, which is critical for an OL. If he can take over for Beckwith, that would improve our OL tremendously. We need another mauler up front.

msstate7
11-01-2013, 12:07 PM
I think TR is a much better matchup for us against Bama, burin don't expect him to survive four quarters against Saban's blitz schemes. they'll pressure him early and often since we're not a threat to go over the top on them.

Won't the same blitzes be coming for TR? Is hitting a moving target or still easier?

ShotgunDawg
11-01-2013, 12:11 PM

How can you say that Russell is a better matchup against Bama when Manziel, a mobile QB, has proven to be the only type of QB that can score on Bama.

Coach34
11-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Do you feel the same way about the egg bowl?

of course not- Dakota will be the best offensive player on the field that day. I just dont want to see him get beat up vs Bama in a way that could cost us even more losses thereafter. You can lose a battle but still win the war.

msstate7
11-01-2013, 12:20 PM
How can you say that Russell is a better matchup against Bama when Manziel, a mobile QB, has proven to be the only type of QB that can score on Bama.

Bc of how well TR played against bama last year... Oh wait.

TR:

15/30 169 yds 0 tds 1 int 25.9 qbr

Dak:

4/6 40 yds 1 td 0 int 76.5 qbr

I realize that dak wasn't playing against the same defense, but it was still a good defense.

Dak is a better option against every team we play

msstate7
11-01-2013, 12:21 PM
of course not- Dakota will be the best offensive player on the field that day. I just dont want to see him get beat up vs Bama in a way that could cost us even more losses thereafter. You can lose a battle but still win the war.

Gotcha

1998Dawg
11-01-2013, 12:30 PM

Once again I totally agree with your statement. However, I strongly disagree that TR should start vs Bama. While yes, for the egg bowl, it is a fact that DakExpress will be the best offensive player on the field that night. BUT, did you know that when MSU plays Bama, it is also a fact that the DakExpress will be the best offensive player on the field that night?

Makes no sense to bench the best talent on the field that night.

Coach34
11-01-2013, 12:32 PM
I'm kidding on starting Russell...This is Dakota's team and he will lead them every week

Coach 57
11-01-2013, 12:39 PM
In the UK game we lined up Samuel outside as a WR split out. This is look we will revisit this week the only difference is we will CRACK the crap out of Clowney from motion.

Covercorner2
11-01-2013, 12:45 PM
You can site stats all you want, but at the end of the day until we play some elite pass rushers they don't matter all that much. Bud Dupree is probably the best we've played and he isn't on the same level of some guys we will face the rest of the year and he had a field day...

maroonmania
11-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Part. He isn't the only coach that recruits O Linemen. I try not to blame one coach for our recruiting woes. The whole staff just doesn't seem to be good at it.

Its STILL mostly his fault. There are a number of OL prospects that won't really even talk to us because they do NOT want to play for Hevesy. The AA over at EMCC is one of them. Other guys recruiting OL can't do anything about that.

msstate7
11-01-2013, 12:50 PM
You can site stats all you want, but at the end of the day until we play some elite pass rushers they don't matter all that much. Bud Dupree is probably the best we've played and he isn't on the same level of some guys we will face the rest of the year and he had a field day...

So we shouldn't use sacks when determining who rushes the passer best?

Political Hack
11-01-2013, 12:50 PM

if you think Dak and Johnny Hancock are the same type of "mobile" you're already taken yourself out of the conversation. JFF can walk a tightrope, avoid tacklers, and run to open space well. Dak runs to open space well and can scramble a little, but they're totally different. Think about it this way... if the game were "two hand touch" would Dak even be comparable to JFF (as if he is now...)?

We've got to throw BB's, quick hitters, and spread the ball from the QB spot. Letting Bama know who is going to run the ball is a losing proposition.

Covercorner2
11-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Coach was listing rush defense statistics

Coach34
11-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Its STILL mostly his fault. There are a number of OL prospects that won't really even talk to us because they do NOT want to play for Hevesy. The AA over at EMCC is one of them. Other guys recruiting OL can't do anything about that.

You do realize that other OL recruits dont want to go to other schools because of their OL coaches too right?

CadaverDawg
11-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Agreed Coach!

There's "optimism",and there's "crazy".

CadaverDawg
11-01-2013, 01:06 PM

I agree with this. We can neutralize Clowney....we just have to be smart and make sure we aren't so focused on him that we let somebody else hurt us.

If we can pull out this W, It will be a major accomplishment for Mullen. A road win against a top 20 team with a legendary coach. I don't care how equal many think these two teams are....this would be a gigantic win for our program. For several reasons.

Political Hack
11-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Won't the same blitzes be coming for TR? Is hitting a moving target or still easier?

If your entire game plan is based on your OL's failure to protect the QB and the need to scramble to get yards, you've already lost. The blitz schemes will be the same... and like I said, I don't think TR will hold up for four quarters against them, but I think he's got a better chance to deliver the ball efficiently, and quickly making the "still target" a little less likely to still be standing there when the defense arrives. We've got to throw quick hitters, screens, fades, etc... High percentage pass plays that allow us to play 2 on 2, four on four, etc... are much better than running the QB keeper every other play for four quarters against Bama.

geotop
11-01-2013, 01:09 PM
I think Chris Jones gonna have a great game.

Watch Conner Shaw have a bad day against a stingy defense. My brother is close to the team and he is worried about Shaw's health. Sprained
knee is not an issue but he isnt fully recovered from what was more than just a stomach bug. this has been a major virus.

I expect we'll see Dylan Thompson before the end of the first quarter.

Stopping the run will be the key. In that category, we should have the edge.

1998Dawg
11-01-2013, 01:13 PM

Who do you think you are big shot? Bud Dupree is a complete animal, so yes, he is sort of on the same level as the other guys.

If you want, put your money where you're mouth is- we will win the next 3 out of 4. And when we do, I don't want to read anymore of your negativity. Take that to nafoom, bear.

CadaverDawg
11-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Who do you think you are big shot? Bud Dupree is a complete animal, so yes, he is sort of on the same level as the other guys.

If you want, put your money where you're mouth is- we will win the next 3 out of 4. And when we do, I don't want to read anymore of your negativity. Take that to nafoom, bear.

Here's a bet for you....

If we win 3 of the next 4, I'll give you $5,000 in VCash.....and if we don't win 3 out of 4, you return to Gene's.

Deal?

Coach34
11-01-2013, 01:25 PM

This is getting a little over the top now...and while you may be a very enthusiastic State fan, you come off as a douchebag BearShark fan that wastes his time and energy pretending to be a gung-ho State fan on a rival's message board. Never have been able to understand where people get joy out of that.

CadaverDawg
11-01-2013, 01:33 PM
This is getting a little over the top now...and while you may be a very enthusiastic State fan, you come off as a douchebag BearShark fan that wastes his time and energy pretending to be a gung-ho State fan on a rival's message board. Never have been able to understand where people get joy out of that.

Well Coach, I was just about to apologize to the guy and tell him that since I may be being a little overly negative these days...I can't really bash someone for being overly positive. Unless they're a troll. Which this guy does seem to be.

1998Dawg
11-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Think what you want. I have no reason to prove my allegiance.

Sorry for being honest and slightly positive (for a change around here). Let's just continue to be negative and down-talk our team then.

ShotgunDawg
11-01-2013, 01:44 PM
if you think Dak and Johnny Hancock are the same type of "mobile" you're already taken yourself out of the conversation. JFF can walk a tightrope, avoid tacklers, and run to open space well. Dak runs to open space well and can scramble a little, but they're totally different. Think about it this way... if the game were "two hand touch" would Dak even be comparable to JFF (as if he is now...)?

We've got to throw BB's, quick hitters, and spread the ball from the QB spot. Letting Bama know who is going to run the ball is a losing proposition.

I never said Dak was the same type of mobile as Manziel, and am not about to get into an evaluation contest with you. You must have a mobile QB to score on Bama though. Saban's defenses are just about impenetrable for about 4 1/2 to 5 seconds. However, after that it breaks down, just like any other defense in the history of football. To score on Bama you need a QB that can improv, and Dak provides that and Tyler doesn't.

Schultzy
11-01-2013, 02:18 PM

He is playing through some serious back problems.

Political Hack
11-01-2013, 02:18 PM
I never said Dak was the same type of mobile as Manziel, and am not about to get into an evaluation contest with you. You must have a mobile QB to score on Bama though. Saban's defenses are just about impenetrable for about 4 1/2 to 5 seconds. However, after that it breaks down, just like any other defense in the history of football. To score on Bama you need a QB that can improv, and Dak provides that and Tyler doesn't.

worthy argument... but 4 quarters of Dak improv is not going to beat Bama. Utah in the Sugar Bowl will be Bama.

Squidawg11
11-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Who is currently in the nfl.

I know he is in the NFL, but he is getting his ass beat in the NFL just like he did in college. The fact that he is in the NFL does not make his awful college career any better. I am not sure how he is still there. The announcers ripped him a new one in the game I watched this year.

Squidawg11
11-01-2013, 02:39 PM
He is playing through some serious back problems.

He should not be in there then. He is not doing anything now but taking up space. What scares me is that we are forced to play him because he is the best that we have.