PDA

View Full Version : He Did It... He Actually 17ing Did It!

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 01:47 PM
I gotta give it to Cohen....The man has balls. Big balls & he has just laid them squarely on the table.

I can't believe he actually 17ing did it!

I don't have a hell of a clue if this is going to work, but it's going to be really fun & interesting & I am hear for every 17ing bit of this.

If Leach can SEC-ify things, this could be amazing. He's a literal genius & that gives him a chance to figure it out.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/544f748dc726ac709a9ee34ebbd83076/tenor.gif?itemid=5440038

dawgday166
01-09-2020, 01:48 PM
Totally agree on Cohen having balls LOL. I never thought he'd actually pull this trigger either.

CadaverDawg
01-09-2020, 01:50 PM
Cohen will follow Leach out in 4-5 years and we will have a TOTAL rebuild on our hands

99jc
01-09-2020, 01:51 PM
I love this hire am renewing my season tickets for sure!

timotheus
01-09-2020, 01:55 PM
I'll sit back and wait........

Really Clark?
01-09-2020, 01:59 PM
I will say whether you like or dislike the hire, we just pulled a sitting P5 coach who has won over 60% of his games at hard to win places. That is an amazing pull for us and Cohen to get a guy like that. Mizzou, Ark, UM...they didn?t pull a winning P5 coach. Will it work? Many have doubts, me included, but the guy is innovative and won everywhere he has been. We will have to be patient with the personnel turn over though.

Matt3467
01-09-2020, 01:59 PM
This is the most excited I've been for MSU football in years! Probably since the '14 season. I can't wait!

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 02:01 PM
Cohen will follow Leach out in 4-5 years and we will have a TOTAL rebuild on our hands

This could absolutely be true. Not denying it., but he may also stay for 15 years & compete for the SEC West.

We wanted a proven head coach, well know we've got one of the most proven head coaches in all of college football.

I'm going to enjoy & have fun with it.

Maybe Leach gets us some WRs from Houston & Dallas & we can mix that with the athletes from Mississippi.

It's got a real chance to work & I respect Cohen for going for it.

HancockCountyDog
01-09-2020, 02:03 PM

I have deep concerns, but I?m going to support him.

Swing Your Sword!!!

OLJWales
01-09-2020, 02:05 PM
Are we going to get the S&C coach from OR? And who knows, maybe Grantham is tired of Mullen and wants to get on The Pirate Train and watch his son play baseball.

Cloak
01-09-2020, 02:07 PM
Hell of a hire

Commercecomet24
01-09-2020, 02:25 PM
Well I guess we'll never see Bert Stare again. So long Bert.

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 02:30 PM

This could absolutely be true. Not denying it., but he may also stay for 15 years & compete for the SEC West.

We wanted a proven head coach, well know we've got one of the most proven head coaches in all of college football.

Maybe Leach gets us some WRs from Houston & Dallas & we can mix that with the athletes from Mississippi.

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 02:47 PM
Do you guys realize how much better of a coach Mike Leach is than Lane Kiffin?

Fellas, it ain't close. Not.... even...... close.....

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-09-2020, 02:56 PM

It all depends on his staff. I would hate it for us to settle with Shoop, time for some new blood there.

He has been successful with middle of the road WR's, so I'm not concerned about production there. Hell, Crabtree is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that made it to the league.

Dawgface
01-09-2020, 03:09 PM
Well.....he's one of the last I would have thought Cohen would hire. But the entertainment value just went up by a big margin. I know the serious one's here won't be happy but at this point I'm fine with it.

Joebob
01-09-2020, 03:17 PM
Good God, what have we gotten ourselves into?

On a brighter note, it's good to see the server is still working. For a while I thought we had broken it.

TrapGame
01-09-2020, 03:21 PM
This is the most excited I've been for MSU football in years! Probably since the '14 season. I can't wait!

And this is why Cohen made the hire. Every one I know thinks this a home run hire. Could it blow up in his face? Sure. Will it? I doubt it. Leach is a smart dude that's been around the block. His resume is 5 times that of Moorhead.

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 03:23 PM
It all depends on his staff. I would hate it for us to settle with Shoop, time for some new blood there.

He has been successful with middle of the road WR's, so I'm not concerned about production there. Hell, Crabtree is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that made it to the league.

Wes Welker

Doggie_Style
01-09-2020, 03:26 PM
Totally agree....all the SEC allums in my office have come by and think we hit it out of the park......great day!

Commercecomet24
01-09-2020, 03:28 PM
ONe thing this hire does for sure is it makes people stop and go "WHOA" MSU is serious about their football and should make it easier to hire a name coach the next time we have to(provided Leach is somewhat successful here). It will definitely get us plenty of national publicity. Will he be successful here? I don't know the answer to that. I'm concerned he's not very interested in recruiting and that his defenses have never been great. I'll support him and be patient as long as we look competent and don't have all those off field embarrasments.

Dawg2003
01-09-2020, 03:28 PM
I like the hire. We've got to drag ourselves out of the dark ages and learn how to pass the ball. Moorhead has actually brought in some players to fit this scheme.

Commercecomet24
01-09-2020, 03:29 PM
Wes Welker

Danny Amendola as well.

Saltydog
01-09-2020, 03:30 PM
This is either going to be a hell'uva hire or Chad Morris, 2.0...?He's never been one to adapt his offense off of his personnel and that's a bit of a concern but by golly, it's going to be fun......Culturally, this may be the strangest hire of all time in the NCAA......

TrapGame
01-09-2020, 03:30 PM
Totally agree....all the SEC allums in my office have come by and think we hit it out of the park......great day!

I've got three LSU fans/alums in my office and they think we hit the lottery!

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 03:33 PM
This is either going to be hell'uva hire or Chad Morris, 2.0...?He's never been one to adapt is offense off of his personnel and that's a bit of a concern but by golly, it's going to be fun......

Comparing Leach to Chad Morris is a disgrace to brain power. Just google their wiki pages & read the resumes. Come on Mane

I don't feel like people realize how much this guy has won

calidawg
01-09-2020, 03:42 PM
We're screwed. Bad Recruiter, no SEC experience, offense totally contrasts to MS high school football culture. Hope everyone has patience total rebuild coming. Moorhead 2.0

smootness
01-09-2020, 03:42 PM
We're screwed. Bad Recruiter, no SEC experience, offense totally contrasts to MS high school football culture. Hope everyone has patience total rebuild coming. Moorhead 2.0

LOL you people are insane

Dawg2003
01-09-2020, 03:44 PM
It makes us nationally relevant, which we desperately need right now.

HailStateSZN19
01-09-2020, 03:44 PM
Comparing Leach to Chad Morris is a disgrace to brain power. Just google their wiki pages & read the resumes. Come on Mane

I don't feel like people realize how much this guy has won

He's 139-90 all time as a HC. He's been a HC for 18 seasons, he's taken his team to a bowl game 16 out of 18 seasons. The dude is a bonafide proven winner. Will it work here? Who knows, I think he will be successful. But doubting his coaching ability and his track record can't be backed up by anything other than worrying that this guy isn't going to be a "ground and pound" spread offensive guy like what we're comfortable with. Everyone wants to say "We're not the same ol poor ol Mississippi State". But at the same time, with coaches and who to target, we want to revert right back to what hasn't elevated us in the past offensive-wise. We're going to have to be able to throw the ball to compete. Joe wasn't wrong in that respect, he just wasn't a good enough HC to get it done. Mike Leach sure as hell is going to get us throwing the ball. This hire to me hinges on getting solid recruiters on staff along with a strong defensive staff plus either Feld or a very solid S&C hire. I'm very damn excited about this!!

calidawg
01-09-2020, 03:45 PM
Please help me here.. All we had to do was hire someone with SEC our southeastern ties and we couldn't even do that. We went out and got a coach who has coached in the 2 softest conferences in college football. I would have rather kept Moorhead for another year or 2. What are we doing.

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 03:55 PM
Please help me here.. All we had to do was hire someone with SEC our southeastern ties and we couldn't even do that. We went out and got a coach who has coached in the 2 softest conferences in college football. I would have rather kept Moorhead for another year or 2. What are we doing.

You're an idiot. That simple.

Really Clark?
01-09-2020, 03:56 PM

Been awhile but does have SEC experience and southern coaching experience at Kentucky and Valdosta St

PKADogs55
01-09-2020, 04:07 PM

Your negativity is just ..... WOW! We were able to get rid of JoMo. Give Leach a chance for 17-sakes.

sonof34
01-09-2020, 04:11 PM

Hate to say it...but you?re right

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-09-2020, 04:17 PM
Danny Amendola as well.

So that's three over the last, what 15 years? I'm not saying he can't develop. I'm saying he will get the most out of our WR's and I'm not concerned that we have struggled at that position.

Commercecomet24
01-09-2020, 04:25 PM
So that's three over the last, what 15 years? I'm not saying he can't develop. I'm saying he will get the most out of our WR's and I'm not concerned that we have struggled at that position.

There's several others but those are the 3 that have been successful in the nfl. But yeah i get what you're saying about the wr position with Leach.

yjnkdawg
01-09-2020, 04:32 PM

You definitely seem to need some help but we probably can't help you. :rolleyes:

yjnkdawg
01-09-2020, 04:40 PM
LOL It's amazing some on here think we are a dumpster fire on a coaching hire, before we even know who his staff is or he has even had his introductory press conference. And some times that perfect fit as some call it does not always work out. We got a P5 coach who can win. We wanted an innovative offense when Mullen left (we didn't get it) and now we have an offense that some of the best defensive coordinators have said it is the most difficult to stop. I'm on the Pirate Ship.

SailingDawg
01-09-2020, 04:43 PM
Is he going to bring in a QB that can pass the ball? I don't think we have one on roster.

FISHDAWG
01-09-2020, 04:45 PM

I promise that you won't hear of a linebacker punching HIS QB
and I like the hire

dawgs
01-09-2020, 04:53 PM
Is he going to bring in a QB that can pass the ball? I don't think we have one on roster.

He wanted the one that just enrolled last week so we at least got that one. And maybe with some work, shrader could be that guy? Or maybe just better schemes to get pass catchers open in space will allow shrader to look better passing. Bitching and moaning that we hired a guy and "don't have a QB who can throw the ball" seems like a good reason to hire a guy that know how to coach up throwing the ball and has always found plenty of underrated QB recruits who put up massive numbers throwing the ball.

yjnkdawg
01-09-2020, 04:56 PM
Well I guess we'll never see Bert Stare again. So long Bert.

Do we actually know that Bert was on the LA side or was it on the MS side? If I remember right he said he was an MSU supporter or alum. Him saying they were lined up for an offer with Napier, Sark and Leach in that order didn't sound like something that Cohen would give to Roussel or Napier. Then Steve or Paul throw out names.... See how the fan base reacts... I'm kinda beginning to think it was to make a really good hire, but also one who would get the fan base fired up again after JoeMo lost it. Just a thought.

DownwardDawg
01-09-2020, 05:17 PM

I think in 3 years. But I really hope we are both wrong. I love State with all I got. I will always keep giving even though I don?t get to go to games any. I would love nothing more than for this to work out beyond anyone?s imagination. But I just can?t fathom a way it ever will. He is everything that we are not. I think we are about to spiral to Vanderbilt level.

DownwardDawg
01-09-2020, 05:21 PM
I've got three LSU fans/alums in my office and they think we hit the lottery!

I work with 180 people. All men. All SEC fans of different schools. Mostly LSU, Bama, State , and ole miss. They are all laughing at me. (Not the State folks obviously). God I hope this works out.

preachermatt83
01-09-2020, 05:29 PM

No

DudyDawg
01-09-2020, 05:46 PM
This is either going to be a hell'uva hire or Chad Morris, 2.0...?He's never been one to adapt his offense off of his personnel and that's a bit of a concern but by golly, it's going to be fun......Culturally, this may be the strangest hire of all time in the NCAA......

Can't understand the Chad Morris comparison at all- Morris has been a head couch for a grand total of 4 years of his life. Leach for nearly 20.

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 05:47 PM
Can't understand the Chad Morris comparison at all- Morris has been a head couch for a grand total of 4 years of his life. Leach for nearly 20.

And Morris has never beaten a power 5 school while Leach has been to a bowl 16 of 18 years

Saltydog
01-09-2020, 05:50 PM
I was actually referring to a pass happy offensive philosophy. Morris brought it in from SMU to a SEC program with similar talent and it was a colossal failure. That was the parallel I was referring too. Not the historical achievements or W/L's.

DudyDawg
01-09-2020, 06:02 PM
I was actually referring to a pass happy offensive philosophy. Morris brought it in from SMU to a SEC program with similar talent and it was a colossal failure. That was the parallel I was referring too. Not the historical achievements or W/L's.

Gotcha. Makes more sense, but still doesn't necessarily feel fair to compare us to Arkansas. That has been a really bad program for a good chunk of the last decade, and we've been consistently very solid/good. But I see what you mean to a degree.

My general thoughts are- screw it. We are never going to have the resources/talent of LSU/BAMA/Auburn/ATM. To compete with a bigger program, you need to be creative and a little unconventional. We just hired the most unconventional mind out there. But the thing is, he has proven it works, in places much worse off than we are. And it works pretty damn well.

Mullen is considered an overwhelming success here. What did he do? Consistent bowl games, and one really special year in the national conversation, legitimately with a chance to compete for a title. What did Leach do at at TTU? Consistent bowls, and we all remember the Crabtree/Texas game- his special year there. If he does that here, home-run.

I'm excited.

Dawg2003
01-09-2020, 06:23 PM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that Leach knows how to develop kids that aren't 5 stars. He apparently likes to take on projects and coach them up. Quite frankly, you need to be like that if you are going to coach at Mississippi State. I have to think Cohen considered that.

dawgday166
01-09-2020, 06:25 PM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that Leach knows how to develop kids that aren't 5 stars. He apparently likes to take on projects and coach them up. Quite frankly, you need to be like that if you are going to coach at Mississippi State. I have to think Cohen considered that.

Exactly. I think that should be obvious to most on here but ... maybe not.

msbulldog
01-09-2020, 06:31 PM

CDawg it won't take more than 2-3 years. He runs Air Raid and we have neither the QB or the receivers to run it. Mississippi does not typically produce such. People will say well you have to go outside of Mississippi to get those players. The problem with that logic is, it is well known Leach doesn't like to recruit. His typical classes in Washington are in the 50's to the 60's. Okay you say hire good recruiters as assistant coaches, well the problem is Leach has a reputation for running assistants off. And discipline, have you ever watched any of his press conferences, if you have can you imagine this guy as a disciplinarian? We just hired Moorhead II, except this guy doesn't recruit. I'm afraid the IB has outsmarted himself, or Leach outsmarted him.

msbulldog
01-09-2020, 06:44 PM
It makes us nationally relevant, which we desperately need right now.

How the 17 does a coached who has been a HC at Texas Tech and Wash. St. make us nationally relevant?

msbulldog
01-09-2020, 06:48 PM
You're an idiot. That simple.

No Gun you have your blinders on.

BiscuitEater
01-09-2020, 06:50 PM

Nope .. my OM bud is really concerned that they won't be able to compete for Mississippi's best QBs and WRs.

msbulldog
01-09-2020, 06:56 PM
There's several others but those are the 3 that have been successful in the nfl. But yeah i get what you're saying about the wr position with Leach.

CC, I read an article lately that quoted Leach's former WR's that said he coached them to run to the open space. Sounds like Longo to me. Sorry, but I cannot provide a link, because I forgot where I read it, oldtimers disease I guess, LOL!

dawgs
01-09-2020, 07:01 PM
How the 17 does a coached who has been a HC at Texas Tech and Wash. St. make us nationally relevant?

Pick some random folks off the street and he's a top 10 most recognizable CFB coach out there right now. Probably top 5 really.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-09-2020, 07:02 PM

Lol what? Morris runs a run first power spread, it's the same O that Gus uses. Thats why Gus hired him as the OC.

And similar talent as State? Are you serious? That Arky roster has like 5 guys who would start at State each of the last 2 years. Morris had zero talent to work with by SEC standards. There was no Fitz or Hill or Aeris or Calhoun or Jenkins.

Moreover, even if Morris did run a pass heavy system, the failure of one pass heavy system in no way means Leaches would fail. That's horrible logic. Morris lost to teams he should have beaten regardless of the system he ran, fact is he was a terrible coach.

Leach has taken 2 horrible programs to 10+ win seasons and made a bowl game almost every year hes been a HC.

dawgs
01-09-2020, 07:03 PM

Within every style of play there's great coaches, good coaches, mediocre coaches, and bad coaches. Morris May just not be a good coach. Leach has a 20 year track record that says he is. The style of play doesn't matter as much as the guy running it. But I also don't think Morris ran anything like leach's offense at Arkansas either.

dawgs
01-09-2020, 07:05 PM
I'll say this, leach's butthole won't tighten up when he's across the field from saban like a certain former coach's would

Really Clark?
01-09-2020, 07:06 PM
CC, I read an article lately that quoted Leach's former WR's that said he coached them to run to the open space. Sounds like Longo to me. Sorry, but I cannot provide a link, because I forgot where I read it, oldtimers disease I guess, LOL!

You talking about his Mesh concept? It’s a variation of Lavell Edwards Mesh but the Y does run to open space depending on the coverage. But it’s basically the same concept everywhere else with designed routes. Different than Longo and it’s not every WR just run to open space deal

BiscuitEater
01-09-2020, 07:28 PM
He runs Air Raid and we have neither the QB or the receivers to run it. Mississippi does not typically produce such. People will say well you have to go outside of Mississippi to get those players. The problem with that logic is, it is well known Leach doesn't like to recruit.

Yet, he convinced Gardner Minshew, Brandon MS, to travel 3000 miles to play for him. Threw for like 5000 yard and 38 TDs in is lone year.

Think we will have Minshew V 2.0, again from Brandon MS on the staff for Leach to work his magic on for the next few years.

Rex54
01-09-2020, 07:30 PM

Maybe a chance to offer outside players a chance to play SEC ball... also come be the next Mahomes

msbulldog
01-09-2020, 07:38 PM
Pick some random folks off the street and he's a top 10 most recognizable CFB coach out there right now. Probably top 5 really.

Because of his nationally publicized press conferences, because he says weird shat, not because his teams are very successful.

msbulldog
01-09-2020, 07:44 PM
Lol what? Morris runs a run first power spread, it's the same O that Gus uses. Thats why Gus hired him as the OC.

And similar talent as State? Are you serious? That Arky roster has like 5 guys who would start at State each of the last 2 years. Morris had zero talent to work with by SEC standards. There was no Fitz or Hill or Aeris or Calhoun or Jenkins.

Moreover, even if Morris did run a pass heavy system, the failure of one pass heavy system in no way means Leaches would fail. That's horrible logic. Morris lost to teams he should have beaten regardless of the system he ran, fact is he was a terrible coach.

Leach has taken 2 horrible programs to 10+ win seasons and made a bowl game almost every year hes been a HC.

Against horrible competition in horrible conferences. How hard is it to get 6 wins and get in a bowl game? Approximately 80 out of 130 teams do it every year.

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2020, 07:44 PM

There is no evidence to support this. He has won everywhere. He is literally the most proven coach Cohen could have possibly gotten

msbulldog
01-09-2020, 07:47 PM
Yet, he convinced Gardner Minshew, Brandon MS, to travel 3000 miles to play for him. Threw for like 5000 yard and 38 TDs in is lone year.

Think we will have Minshew V 2.0, again from Brandon MS on the staff for Leach to work his magic on for the next few years.

I sure hope so, but next year sucks, because Will won't be ready out of high school.

msbulldog
01-09-2020, 07:49 PM

And by the way we don't have those receivers.

DudyDawg
01-09-2020, 07:52 PM
And by the way we don't have those receivers.

True. Washington State is called WRU for a reason*

dawgs
01-09-2020, 08:13 PM
Because of his nationally publicized press conferences, because he says weird shat, not because his teams are very successful.

Yeah, he's just had Texas ****ing tech and Washington ****ing state in the natty conversation well into November. People would've grown bored of him years ago if he didn't produced results on the field.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-09-2020, 08:18 PM

Lol He has 2 national coach of the year awards

lastmajordog
01-09-2020, 08:28 PM

This......unfortunately.......