PDA

View Full Version : State of John Cohen (AD)

fader2103
01-09-2020, 10:56 AM
Baseball: Hired Andy Cannizaro Good up an coming coach people raved about and was a great recruiter, first year went 40-27 and made it to the NCAA Super Regional. Unfortunately put the taco before the burrito. Resigned/Fired 3 games into the 2018 season.
Placed Gary Henderson as Interim HC went 39-29 and got hot at the right time and made it to Omaha.
After missing on a few candidates got Chris Lemonis who went 52-15 in first season and made it to Omaha in 2019.
Baseball is the sport that I see being John Cohen's when hiring coaches just because of his connections.
Grade on all aspects - A
Basketball (M): 2016 (16-16), 2017 (25-12, NIT Semifinal), 2018 (23-11, NCAA Round 1) 2019 (9-5)
Cohen didn't hire Ben Howland, Last year showed promise for a young team. 2019 is looking to becoming an epic fail. I am not saying fire Howland yet, but taking steps that way.
Grade: B-
Football- 2016 (6-7, St. Petersburg bowl champ), 2017 (9-4, TaxSlayer bowl champs) Dan Mullen leaves before the bowl game.
Hires on paper great candidate Joe Moorhead. 2018 (8-5, Loses Outback Bowl) 2019 (6-7, loses Music City bowl) Fired after bowl game
Waiting on coaching search
Grade: C, C-
Golf (M)- 2016 Kind of hard to explain golf schedule but SEC Championship finished Last, 1 player made NCAA regional. 2017 Hired a rising assistant from Vanderbilt Dusty Smith. Finished 12th in SEC Championship, Team made NCAA regional
finished 8th. 2018- Finished 13th in SEC Championship, Finished 7th in NCAA Regional. 2019- Season currently in progress has finished 1st in one match
Grade: B-L
Tennis (M)- Coach is Matt Roberts been at MSU for 9 years. 2016- (21-9, SEC runner- up, Lost in 2nd round of NCAA Championship) 2017 (23-3, SEC Champions, L in NCAA Quarterfinals) 2018 (24-4 SEC Champions, L in NCAA Round of 16)
2019- TBD
Grade- A
Track/Field - 2019 Named Chris Woods as Head Coach who led MSU to the 3rd highest NCAA point total in school history 2016 (3 Individual SEC Champions, 2 National Champions), 2017 (Men's and Women's finish 13th in SEC
Championship, make NCAA Championship) 2018 ( 2 SEC individual Champions, 12 make NCAA, 1st and 2nd Place in Javelin, Men finish in Top 10 Nationally) 2019 (Men finish 1, 2, 3 in Javelin at SEC, Men Sweet Javelin at NCAA).
Grade- B+
Basketball (W)- 2016-17 (34-5, SEC Runner up, NCAA Runner up) 2017-18 (37-2, SEC Runner Up, NCAA Runner Up) 2018-19 (33-3, SEC Champs, L in Round of 32) 2019 (14-2)
Grade: A
Cross Country - Just hired New Coach in August . 2016 (4th in SEC, Women finish 15th Nationally) 2017 (5th SEC, Women finish 7th Nationally) 2018 ( 12th SEC, 13th W 19th M Nationally) 2019 ( 12th SEC, 14th W, 17th M Nationally)
Grade: C-, D
Golf (W) - Ginger Brown Lemme- 10th Season
2016-17 (11th SEC, 1 individual finished 37th in NCAA) 17-18 ( 10th SEC) 18-19 (SEC Runner Up, 9th in NCAA Regional) 19-20 (Best finish so far is 2nd)
Grade: C-
Softball- Just hired Samantha Ricketts, Hired from within the program said to be up and coming coach
2017 (36-22 L in first round of SEC Tourney, NCAA Regional) 2018 (38-23 L 2nd Round SEC, L in NCAA Regional) 2019 (35-23 L 2nd Round SEC, NCAA Regional)
Grade: C
Soccer- James Armstrong hired in Jan. of 19
2016 (6-12), 2017 (9-5-4) 2018 (9-7-2, NCAA 1st round) 2019(8-8-3, SEC 1st Round)
Grade: B-
Tennis (W) Daryl Greenan - 23rd Year at State as HC/Asst. took over in 2009TB
16-17 (15-9, SEC 2nd round, NCAA 1st Round) 17-18 (16-11, SEC 1st Round, NCAA 2nd Round) 18-19 (14-13, SEC 1st Round, Individual NCAA 1st round) 19-20 (TBD)
Grade: D, Coaching change has to be made
Volleyball Julie Darty hired in 2017 after season
16 (14-18) 17 (10-23) 18 (5-26) 19 (13-17)
Grade: C-, I think Darty will be a good coach, watched several games and the girls play hard for her.

Overall: B- to C, The thing with John Cohen I like is he isn't afraid to make changes when he sees a need to. I don't think John Cohen needs to go as an AD yet, but one thing that I see missing is the marketing of the athletic department. I remember when Croom was hired they made it a point for him to go out and meet the fans at different stops outside of the Road Dawgs Tour. I don't remember them doing it for Mullen and didn't for Moorhead. That needs to be done to get people on the right page. We need to have a better showing on Youtube and other social media platforms like the Relentless videos that use to be but for all programs, especially ones with new coaches, and the big 3 sports.

msudawglb
01-09-2020, 11:00 AM
They did have Mullen doing meet and greets. I met him in Huntsville at the Alumni/lunch they set up to introduce him. He made the rounds at alumni locations.

Bert Stare
01-09-2020, 11:01 AM
yesterday, D+

today, B+

fader2103
01-09-2020, 11:02 AM
ok, I just didn't remember it. My apologizes

Nutriaitch
01-09-2020, 11:03 AM
The thing with John Cohen I like is he isn't afraid to make changes when he sees a need to.

watching him change pitchers 5 times in one inninf told me that. :cool:

sorry, couldn?t resist.

WesternSkyDawg
01-09-2020, 11:06 AM
yesterday, D+

today, B+

If BN can't make at least a solid 4-year commitment, we've got better options

NaborhoodDawg
01-09-2020, 11:10 AM
Overall: B- to C, The thing with John Cohen I like is he isn't afraid to make changes when he sees a need to. I don't think John Cohen needs to go as an AD yet, but one thing that I see missing is the marketing of the athletic department. I remember when Croom was hired they made it a point for him to go out and meet the fans at different stops outside of the Road Dawgs Tour. I don't remember them doing it for Mullen and didn't for Moorhead. That needs to be done to get people on the right page. We need to have a better showing on Youtube and other social media platforms like the Relentless videos that use to be but for all programs, especially ones with new coaches, and the big 3 sports.

I'm glad you brought up marketing. In that aspect, you are absolutely right. Cohen is not a marketing guy. You gotta remember, Stricklin got his start in the marketing department of multiple universities. He's a marketing genius. That's where the #HailState came from. We were the first school ever to put that on the playing surface. That was all stricklin. Mullen also was pretty good at coming up with ideas for marketing and fan experience. That is why I was against JoMo. He just couldn't handle being in charge of an entire program. He just wanted to coach the football team and in big time football, it's about more than that. Had a baseball coach tell me one time that he spends 98% of his day dealing with money, budget, keeping donors happy, and keeping the AD happy, and only 2% of his time goes to recruiting and actually coaching the team. I think JoMo spent most of his time drowning and not knowing which way to run.

That being said, Stricklin was very good at marketing. Cohen just doesn't have that background and we could greatly improve in the area moving forward.

Tbonewannabe
01-09-2020, 11:50 AM

I was discussing this with my wife, if the buyout is an issue then that just puts up red flags that he really doesn't want the job. We can't give longer than a 4 year contract so if you say just $4 Mil per year then even at full contract price, that would be around $8 Mil after two years and drops to $4 Mil after three years. Unless you thought this guy could win a National Title with the players on campus then getting a guy for 2-3 years isn't worth it.

Get someone that wants to build a program or at least has an expectation of staying 4 years.

yjnkdawg
01-09-2020, 11:53 AM

I see where you are coming from but no potential coach is going to sign a contract with those stipulations. That is why you have a buyout clause. So if the coach leaves he pays you a certain percentage of his contract. This could be a snafu in the negotiating part of the interview, or the coach taking a job.

Homedawg
01-09-2020, 11:53 AM
I was discussing this with my wife, if the buyout is an issue then that just puts up red flags that he really doesn't want the job. We can't give longer than a 4 year contract so if you say just $4 Mil per year then even at full contract price, that would be around $8 Mil after two years and drops to $4 Mil after three years. Unless you thought this guy could win a National Title with the players on campus then getting a guy for 2-3 years isn't worth it.

Get someone that wants to build a program or at least has an expectation of staying 4 years.
The part about giving longer than 4 years is incorrect. Yes, you can't give a state contract longer than 4 years. However, thats just a small, small portion of his salary. WE CAN give more than 4 years out of BDC/Foundation $. It's been done before. Not saying we will in this case, but it can be done.

yjnkdawg
01-09-2020, 11:59 AM

Seems like the buyout could be the issue, or maybe it could be Cohen is not happy on paying the big bucks on a support staff if Napier is not going to hire enough P5 coaches, and wants to bring X number of his current staff from ULL. Just a thought.

dawg32
01-09-2020, 11:59 AM
yesterday, D+

today, B+

Whats the hangup?
Anything lined up for this morning or afternoon with Napier?

WesternSkyDawg
01-09-2020, 12:31 PM
I see where you are coming from but no potential coach is going to sign a contract with those stipulations. That is why you have a buyout clause. So if the coach leaves he pays you a certain percentage of his contract. This could be a snafu in the negotiating part of the interview, or the coach taking a job.

Yes, this is what is meant by "solid 4-year commitment

An insufficient buy-out number is not a solid commitment and does not protect MSU

timotheus
01-09-2020, 12:58 PM
Whats the hangup?

Nope. Nothing to report.

timotheus
01-09-2020, 01:02 PM
Whats the hangup?

Nope. Nothing to report.