PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Hood

bully99
11-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Saw an interesting tweet last night from Fran Fraschilla, ESPN guy and longtime coach. Said Hood was " a really good role player at State" and he would be "a really good role player at Duke ". You think Hood will be a great player or a role player.?

msstate7
11-01-2013, 09:37 AM
If hood lost a year to be a role player at duke when he could've been a star at state, I think he made the wrong decision.

TheRef
11-01-2013, 09:41 AM
If hood lost a year to be a role player at duke when he could've been a star at state, I think he made the wrong decision.

I will tell you this right now, he NEEDED to leave State just for his own sake. His parents were being too much of an influence on his career and his schoolwork. It was for his own benefit for him to leave MSU and get fairly far away.

C222
11-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Saw an interesting tweet last night from Fran Fraschilla, ESPN guy and longtime coach. Said Hood was " a really good role player at State" and he would be "a really good role player at Duke ". You think Hood will be a great player or a role player.?

At a Duke practice last year, Jeff Goodman was there and tweeted that Hood was the best player on the floor. That's, of course, before Jabari Parker got there. I think Hood is going to have a great year.

hailmari
11-01-2013, 11:05 AM
He's gonna be good. No doubt. I can't wait to watch him play in the UNC games. But he missed a good chance to get drafted fairly high, because this past draft class sucked and he would've been our only star last year.

maroonmania
11-01-2013, 12:23 PM
I will tell you this right now, he NEEDED to leave State just for his own sake. His parents were being too much of an influence on his career and his schoolwork. It was for his own benefit for him to leave MSU and get fairly far away.

I wish he would have stayed and to be honest I think Rick Ray would have made him a better player than Stans ever would have. But I am not going to downgrade a kid that transfers from a school after there is a HC change if he wants to go that route.

Political Hack
11-01-2013, 12:31 PM
he can't do it alone. He's a prototypical three man who can be the Scottie Pippen to someone else's MJ. He's got the best mid-range game I've ever seen grace the Hump. most players nowadays want to dunk or jackup threes. He's happy pulling up and drilling an open 12 footer and that separates him from a lot of other players.

He's a great player, but he's not the kind of guy that will take over a game single handedly. He can take over a game, but he's got to have other threats on the floor to do it.

smootness
11-01-2013, 12:40 PM
he can't do it alone. He's a prototypical three man who can be the Scottie Pippen to someone else's MJ. He's got the best mid-range game I've ever seen grace the Hump. most players nowadays want to dunk or jackup threes. He's happy pulling up and drilling an open 12 footer and that separates him from a lot of other players.

He's a great player, but he's not the kind of guy that will take over a game single handedly. He can take over a game, but he's got to have other threats on the floor to do it.

Yep. He has all the talent he needs, but I'm not sure he has the desire to take over games. I thought he should have been a lot more assertive his freshman year because often, he was our best scoring option on the floor. He is the type who will let the game come to him more than he'll take it over, and sometimes in basketball, you need your best player to take the game over.

That said, he was a freshman. If he is more assertive, he will be great, no question. If he isn't, he will be a great piece but won't quite have the success he could.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
11-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Didn't Duke just name him a team captain? That should tell you all you need to know about how Coach K views Rodney.

Political Hack
11-01-2013, 01:42 PM
I think the Duke players vote on that... which tells you even more.

bully99
11-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Being a team captain doesn't make you a great player. I've seen captains who were bench players or barely played.(

smootness
11-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Being a team captain doesn't make you a great player. I've seen captains who were bench players or barely played.(

Well, that isn't Hood. Hack is right, his midrange game is lethal, and his jump shot is as pretty as any I've ever seen. Add to that that he's 6'8" and long and you have a pretty deadly combination. He also sees the floor well and is a good passer, and I think he has more athleticism than he showed his freshman year, too.

Duke is going to be very fun to watch this year.

quickstrike2
11-01-2013, 04:42 PM
I think he will be a really good role player. Not taking anything from the guy, because he is a legit talent. I just need to see him more before i think differently. I think Parker will be the star of the show there at Duke.

Dawg61
11-01-2013, 05:25 PM
He needs to improve his shooting to become a great player.

Ronny
11-01-2013, 05:47 PM
..Rodney Hood will never be one of Mike Krzyzewski's "boys."

As everyone reading this knows, Mike Krzyzewski uses ESPN specials to recruit.

I have no idea how it's legal for the head coach of a major basketball program to use a sports network to carry out recruit pitches, but everybody who watches ESPN knows what I'm talking about.

Anyway, not only is Rodney Hood not Duke caliber, all the nationally touted flashy hotshots Krzyzewski landed through ESPN see Hood as an annoying outsider.